Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Is there a decent list of animals a moon druid can use by level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I use the this Google drive link
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B96a89Kc7BvON1ZiME5haUNhUGc

I found in reddit. The only thing I've noticed that's wrong is the allosaurus ac, which should be 12. It could also benefit from specifying the type of save for certain attacks, otherwise real handy on the fly

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

escalator dropdown posted:

I’m generally aware that in-combat healing is a Real Bad Idea in 5e with the exception of getting someone unconscious back on their feet. However, the particular party I’d be considering this character for lacks anyone with any healing at all. So I was toying with backup characters and thought maybe a Divine Soul and/or Celestial Sorlock could do plug that gap without sacrificing much elsewhere or being expected to be a full-on healbot.

Repeating myself, healing using spell slots is really inefficient; that's regardless of whether you're in or outside of combat. Slots spent on Cure Wounds to try and patch up the party between fights are going to be better spent during said fights to end them faster.

The exception is characters with access to Healing Spirit, Aura of Vitality, or Life Cleric buffed Goodberries. Those are the good poo poo. Otherwise, just spend your gold on healing pots if sustain is a concern.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Is there a decent list of animals a moon druid can use by level?

Gonna list the good poo poo:

Level 2 (CR 1):
Deinonychus (3+1 attacks jesus christ it's a velociraptor)
Brown Bear (tank and multiattack)
Crag Cat (Spell Turning)
Giant Spider (web)

Level 4 (CR 1+Swimming Speed):
Giant Octopus (reach and grapple at range)

Level 6 (CR 2):
Polar/Cave Bear (upgraded bear)
Giant Elk (huge, fast, tanky)

Level 8 (flight):
you can turn into flying animals; nothing notable for combat that flies

Level 9 (CR 3):
Giant Scorption, starting to run out of good animals, but next level...

Level 10 (Elemental Forms):
Water/Earth/Fire/Air elemental. Earth is best, the rest situational.

From this point on just stick with the elementals.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 20, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The healing feat is also good to take if you're a variant human and want to patch people up between short rests. 1d6 + 4 + level is nothing to sneeze at.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Repeating myself, healing using spell slots is really inefficient; that's regardless of whether you're in or outside of combat. Slots spent on Cure Wounds to try and patch up the party between fights are going to be better spent during said fights to end them faster.

The exception is characters with access to Healing Spirit, Aura of Vitality, or Life Cleric buffed Goodberries. Those are the good poo poo. Otherwise, just spend your gold on healing pots if sustain is a concern.

Level 2 (CR 1):
Deinonychus (3+1 attacks jesus christ it's a velociraptor)
Brown Bear (tank and multiattack)
Crag Cat (Spell Turning)
Giant Spider (web)

Level 4 (CR 1+Swimming Speed):
Giant Octopus (reach and grapple at range)

Level 6 (CR 2):
Polar/Cave Bear (upgraded bear)
Giant Elk (huge, fast, tanky)

Level 8 (flight):
you can turn into flying animals; nothing notable for combat that flies

Level 9 (CR 3):
Giant Scorption, starting to run out of good animals, but next level...

Level 10 (Elemental Forms):
Water/Earth/Fire/Air elemental. Earth is best, the rest situational.

From this point on just stick with the elementals.

You forgot giant constrictor, CR 2, Restrains on a hit, with DC 16 to escape, 60 hp and ten foot reach with its bite.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Oh yeah that thing is solid too.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Conspiratiorist posted:

You actually do enough damage to justify going into melee instead of just shooting EB, and if you have a fronline then Reach let's you gently caress around with positioning a little bit to avoid incoming attacks. It's also the way to go once you unlock Lifedrinker at 12, but that comes too late to be relevant really.

I was hung up on Hex Warrior not working on 2Hs but missed the part where pact weapons ignore that.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

To finalise that errata thing, here is Edge of the Empire's errata document : https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/f4/f8/f4f8ca5f-12c8-4960-84ca-dccde66fa743/eote_errata_v20.pdf

It genuinely makes me upset they don't do this for D&D why is it so hard to put your clarifications/re-writes/fixes into one place ffs. FFG has put out a billion more books than Wotc and they still managed to figure this out.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 20, 2018

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

I was hung up on Hex Warrior not working on 2Hs but missed the part where pact weapons ignore that.

Don't you need to get to level 3 for that to be the case, though? I thought that for levels 1-2 you're stuck going quarterstaff or sword and board or something else.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Dzurlord posted:

Don't you need to get to level 3 for that to be the case, though? I thought that for levels 1-2 you're stuck going quarterstaff or sword and board or something else.

Yeah they mentioned that part in the original post.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 20, 2018

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Ugh so Hexblade is make a pact with Patron but you a) have a martial focus and b) you pursue the ideal employment of said pact as a magical weapon. NOT you make a pact with a magical talking sword which gives you powers and grows with you.

Other pacts are as they say on the can. Right?

If so I'd totally arrange with my DM to get my hexblade a magical talking sword with some upgrade mechanics for him to follow across the game.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I think you can probably play it either way but the original sell it's that your patron is a sentient magical weapon. Like you think Joyeuse is very cool and dream about it all the time and then one night Joyeuse appears in your dreams and bestows upon you a kind of fragment or shadow version of itself. You're not actually wielding the weapon itself, just kind of an extension of it.

Joyeuse is actually plugged into the wall of a cave somewhere getting more powerful from its vassals like you, while it waits for someone truly powerful to come retrieve it.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 21, 2018

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

quote:

Druid Animal Stuff

Playing as a low-level Moon Druid in my current campaign, I've found Dire Wolf both a way better tank and damage dealer compared to Brown Bear. You get more AC, more HP, and Pack Tactics+possibility of knocking someone Prone more than makes up for losing multiattack.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 21, 2018

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

mango sentinel posted:

I think you can probably play it either way but the original sell it's that your patron is a sentient magical weapon. Like you think Joyeuse is very cool and dream about it all the time and then one night Joyeuse appears in your dreams and bestows upon you a kind of fragment or shadow version of itself. You're not actually wielding the weapon itself, just kind of an extension of it.

Joyeuse is actually plugged into the wall of a cave somewhere getting more powerful from its vassals like you, while it waits for someone truly powerful to come retrieve it.

Man. Imagine being a magic sword's side chick.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Is there a preferred Ranger revision that any of y'all like to use? A lot of people have said that the Ranger, and especially the Beastmaster, are pretty underpowered compared to the rest of the character classes.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Sampatrick posted:

Is there a preferred Ranger revision that any of y'all like to use? A lot of people have said that the Ranger, and especially the Beastmaster, are pretty underpowered compared to the rest of the character classes.

This is the semi official one. https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

At this point I'm wondering if I shouldn't just shell out money for Shadow of the Demon Lord.

lol @ anyone who didn't get it and a bunch of good supplements in the Bundle of Holding sale like a year ago.

It's a real good game if you like kinda what DnD5e is aiming at and you also like a little bit of grimdark. If you scratch out most of the insanity/horror rules and you don't use level 0 then you can have a good standard fantasy funtime with it and lose almost nothing (other than class features that interact with the sanity rules but those tend to be very obvious).

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 21, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's a revised version of the ranger that's a bit better. I'd skip Beastmaster since it's kinda fiddly

https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf

The ranger suffers from non-spell out of combat stuff not being very good. Everything says 'by nonmagical means' after it, and that's a massive drawback. Favored Enemy is incredibly Hit or Miss, depending on what you pick and how often it comes up. The spells are mostly functional utility stuff that gives you a little bit to do outside of combat, but that's enough to make this class more interesting than the fighter.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 21, 2018

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Sampatrick posted:

In addition to the Revised Ranger that's been linked, there are some new archetypes in XGtE that are... ok and flavorful but not much better than the PHB?

There's also a scout archetype for the rogue that's as close to a non-magical ranger as we'll probably get.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
My ranger also picked monstrosities as their favored enemy and it's a gigantic catch-all category.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Gloom Stalker is very strong, Horizon Walker has a cool idea behind it but good luck finding a DM that works in planar stuff in the lower levels. Monster Slayer is Hunter without the AoE options, if I remember correctly.

You can use all of them with Revised Ranger, just remember to include extra attack at 5th level.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Gloom Stalker is a potentially amazing dip and Horizon Walker gives you great spells (Haste at level 9) both they both suffer from the fact that Ranger is a shittier fighter filled with questionable abilities, and that barely gets anything of note past level 5.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Sampatrick posted:

Valor Bard that snakes Swift Quiver with Magical Secrets several levels before the actual Rangers get their hands on it.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
My brother plans to be a gloom stalking Dwarf ranger. Stalking the Underdark for aberrations, except mind flayers which he is very afraid of.

He's kinda basing stuff on the Rangers from WHFB so I'm thinking if hr carries on down the melee ranger path I'll try offering him some incentives to pick up some Fighter levels to get vaugle WHFB Slayery or Ironbreakery.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

There's a contingent of grogs who just hate the idea of errata and think the game should be right 'the first time', which is just such a poo poo opinion about RPGs that I just don't know what to tell you. RPGs are not videogames or even boardgames; you can make certain analogies between those things but they aren't really the same. An RPG has several factors going for it that the designers cannot predict:

* How will people attempt to use this game?
* How often will they play it?
* How will people house rule it?

Both DMs and players make the first guess impossible, and D&D is notoriously fuzzy about how it intends to be used. That's a problem because one group wants to play Neverwinter Nights with it, where they trip over a monster every five feet; another group wants to play Game of Thrones with it, mixing courtly intrigue with short but brutal combats; another group is trying to play Battlestar Galactica with it, for some reason. So you don't even know what the gently caress you're balancing at the outset.

You can't playtest an RPG the same way you playtest other things - you just can't guess what the wide world of end users will do until its out in the wild. I mean, this is compounded by Mearls's bullheadedness, anybody could have told him the core Ranger sucked air through a narrow hose, but it holds true for things like the Barbarian where the effects of Exhaustion aren't really obvious to people who haven't played a few times.

Games like this require changes and additions, and their moddable nature means people are going to make those changes to your game on their own if you don't do it first. I think it's way more professional to admit it straight up and control the direction your game goes in, but what I do know, I'm not noted RPG writer Mike Mearls.

If nothing else, errata gives DMs an idea of what good design looks like and if you want your DMs to get better you have to show them that poo poo.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

As far as playtesting, D&D levels of complication are basically impossible to effectively test in a development-to-publication time frame. Real writing for a company has deadlines, we're not going to stop the publication cycle so we can do two years of agile sprints to create the "perfect" game.

Anybody who's even a neophyte professional writer knows this, though.

Even when you set aside the several hundreds of pages of material that need to get written and edited, rules interactions, especially those on a tipsy framework, are almost impossible to track without an army of testers or Good Will Hunting on your team (neither of which work in the razor-thin margin world of publishing, let alone RPG publishing).

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
That said, what testing that happened was.. farcical?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is not to take-away from Mendrian's good post, but the whole deal about how you can't predict what a game will look like after tens of thousands of people start poking at it also applies to boardgames and video games.

Like, it's almost axiomatic that you can't produce a "good" AI for a strategy game (unless you severely restrict the player's actions), because the great mass of customers will always find a way to outsmart it in a way that your playtesters can't - most developers never go back, but you should/need to go back if you really want to deliver a better experience, and there's no way to find out exactly how your game will be beat until you release it.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Philthy posted:

Do you really need rules for this if you're not explicitly playing AL? I mean, the current skills cover pretty much everything. Just do a deception check. Done. People are going to argue over it? Punch them in the mouf. The only people wanting everything spelled out for them should be AL. Outside of that the rules were meant to be used or tossed at will.

The current skills do literally nothing except give me a basis for arguing with the DM because I have "big numbers". If I have a +5 on Deception/Forgers Tools/whatever, is that high enough for a con man? If I want to forge an official document or letter of credit, is that something my character can expect to do or plan around? If the answer is just "argue with the DM" why the gently caress is this a rule that takes up page space if we're just gonna ignore it anyway? We could have had more battlemaster maneuvers instead.

To Mendrian's post - you can at least hammer out damage numbers and whatnot. Stuff like the 4e expertise feats really shouldn't be needed in the product I paid 90 dollars for, and if the vast playerbase is hammering out broken crap with your playtest materials you should fix it. When people point out 3.5 evocations are subpar in the pathfinder forum (by providing actual math) you don't go into bizarro land, you fix it.

Yes, people hated 4th editions errata, but the vast majority of 4th edition's errata was meaningless garbage like nerfing the turn undead die while releasing new splats for the orb of imposition wizard and leaving the star pact warlock as a dual attribute attack class. I don't think anyone actually minded the idea of errataing away the super broken stuff, but most of 4e errata was pointless nerfs to minor things that kept changing every month and that's just not acceptable.

Looking at the 4e PHB errata there are seriously 27 pages of errata and that's just nuts.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bewilderment posted:

It's a real good game if you like kinda what DnD5e is amazing at
...having an established brand? Pandering to grognards and sociopaths?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Splicer posted:

...having an established brand? Pandering to grognards and sociopaths?

whoops, edited. Meant to say "aiming at", not "amazing at".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Thanks for the Polearm-warlock idea, but I think I'm actually gonna go for a full-Caster version. I don't feel like making a melee dude this time. :shrug:

I'll look into taking a few levels of SOrcerer though, that sounds amazing.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The current skills do literally nothing except give me a basis for arguing with the DM because I have "big numbers". If I have a +5 on Deception/Forgers Tools/whatever, is that high enough for a con man? If I want to forge an official document or letter of credit, is that something my character can expect to do or plan around? If the answer is just "argue with the DM" why the gently caress is this a rule that takes up page space if we're just gonna ignore it anyway? We could have had more battlemaster maneuvers instead.

To Mendrian's post - you can at least hammer out damage numbers and whatnot. Stuff like the 4e expertise feats really shouldn't be needed in the product I paid 90 dollars for, and if the vast playerbase is hammering out broken crap with your playtest materials you should fix it. When people point out 3.5 evocations are subpar in the pathfinder forum (by providing actual math) you don't go into bizarro land, you fix it.

Yes, people hated 4th editions errata, but the vast majority of 4th edition's errata was meaningless garbage like nerfing the turn undead die while releasing new splats for the orb of imposition wizard and leaving the star pact warlock as a dual attribute attack class. I don't think anyone actually minded the idea of errataing away the super broken stuff, but most of 4e errata was pointless nerfs to minor things that kept changing every month and that's just not acceptable.

Looking at the 4e PHB errata there are seriously 27 pages of errata and that's just nuts.

4E errata sounds like Patch Notes.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Admitting you are wrong is the greatest hyper-nerd sin.
So no 5e errata

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MonsieurChoc posted:

4E errata sounds like Patch Notes.

That really is what they are. TheGreatEvilKing also correctly points out that a lot of the time they weren't even good patch notes, because they never, for example, just made it automatic that people got +1 to attacks and defenses with every tier, such that we're still handing out "free feats" more than a decade later.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

Thanks for the Polearm-warlock idea, but I think I'm actually gonna go for a full-Caster version. I don't feel like making a melee dude this time. :shrug:

I'll look into taking a few levels of SOrcerer though, that sounds amazing.

Be aware that you need a sizeable sorcery point pool (4-6 levels) to make good use of metamagic, so going sorc is going to work best as a real commitment rather than a mere dip. Also sorc gives you constitution save proficiency, so it's best to take your first level in it.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I use the this Google drive link
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B96a89Kc7BvON1ZiME5haUNhUGc

I found in reddit. The only thing I've noticed that's wrong is the allosaurus ac, which should be 12. It could also benefit from specifying the type of save for certain attacks, otherwise real handy on the fly

Conspiratiorist posted:

Cool, thanks. This confirms that I'd found everything worth using already. Unfortunately I cannot use the cooler ones since I need to ~*~have seen~*~ the animals first.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Cat Face Joe posted:

Cool, thanks. This confirms that I'd found everything worth using already. Unfortunately I cannot use the cooler ones since I need to ~*~have seen~*~ the animals first.

This is why your backstory should be a chultian crag cag hunter that was raised by bears.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is why your backstory should be a chultian crag cag hunter that was raised by bears.

He gave me poo poo about dire wolf and I'm like dude if you're gonna clamp down this hard on my animal choices I'll just make another character. In game I've seen both a giant constrictor and octopus and next level I'm turning into a giant elk whether he likes it or not.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Playing as a low-level Moon Druid in my current campaign, I've found Dire Wolf both a way better tank and damage dealer compared to Brown Bear. You get more AC, more HP, and Pack Tactics+possibility of knocking someone Prone more than makes up for losing multiattack.

We've been facing groups of smaller stuff so the two attacks from the bear have been useful. I used the dire wolf to chase a guy down but I'll give it a shot next time we fight something larger.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Sounds like that campaign is in need of a zoo full of exotic creatures that druids are charged hefty prices to see

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
A men in black like organization that erases the memories of people who see particularly majestic animals to ensure the hierarchy of the Druidic order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

Sounds like that campaign is in need of a zoo full of exotic creatures that druids are charged hefty prices to see

Uber, but for Wild Shape