Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

remember this guy?

https://twitter.com/NODEfather/status/963875662187585536

well it's a little more complicated than that. he sold an undercover agent some bitcoin for cash that he was told was made from selling drugs

https://news.bitcoin.com/us-federal...20Notifications

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Uranium 235 posted:

well it's a little more complicated than that. he sold an undercover agent some bitcoin for cash that he was told was made from selling drugs

Given time I fully expect arrests for some of these buttcoiners who engaged in money laundering for Al Qaeda. Laws don't apply to crypto! It's not regulated!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
"I sold drugs for cash and I want to convert it to bitcoins" might be the dumbest sting I've ever heard.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

SpacePig posted:

"I sold drugs for cash and I want to convert it to bitcoins" might be the dumbest sting I've ever heard.

And that is why it worked on the coiners.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Someone with more familiarity with entrapment laws want to explain how saying you got your money through drugs makes a buttcoiner liable if he proceeds with the transaction? This sounds hilarious.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think if you're told that the cash was gained illicitly, and still perform the cash transaction, then you're technically assisting in money laundering.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I mean yeah but why would they even conduct a sting like that? Whats the reason for going after this guy? Are they assuming/alleging he's made other similar transactions knowing where the money came from bad places or are they just being assholes???

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

isndl posted:

Someone with more familiarity with entrapment laws want to explain how saying you got your money through drugs makes a buttcoiner liable if he proceeds with the transaction? This sounds hilarious.

I've only ever seen entrapment once.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

isndl posted:

They didn't force him to take the money and he had a choice to end the transaction once the agents said " hey we are not cops and this drug money we would like to trade for your butts."

Entrapment Law Comic

It is flimsy, but the Feds are more than likely wanting him to turn informant or use him to connect a few other people to crimes.

Zil fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 21, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Also there could be more going on here than we know, seeing as all the information about the case is coming from Bitcoin news sites.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Curious about Minimalist's rear end. Specifically, is it or has it ever been infected with a worm virus ?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Zil posted:

How..... how do we do a withdrawal?

All funds withdrawn in an alternative currency known as Shitcoin.

Shitcoin is the brownish wave of the future.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
How're all the people feeling who thought bitcoin was on a straight shot to $0

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I can’t make my mind up if uranium is a good or bad bitcoiner.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

LinYutang posted:

I see you've invested in Smugcoin, good sir!

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

LinYutang posted:

It's already worth nothing in my heart

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Quite the flash crash going on right now.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

LinYutang posted:

Given that it lost the majority of its value in just 2 days and still hasn't recovered I don't really understand why you would pick the current value of Bitcoin as something to be smug about.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Given that it lost the majority of its value in just 2 days and still hasn't recovered I don't really understand why you would pick the current value of Bitcoin as something to be smug about.

Especially since literally no one here thought it would hit $0.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

The dot com bubble took nearly three years to finish collapsing lmao if your standards are so low that 'not collapsing completely to zero in two months' is a reason to get all smuggo

lazorexplosion fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 21, 2018

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Jimmy Hats posted:

I mean yeah but why would they even conduct a sting like that? Whats the reason for going after this guy? Are they assuming/alleging he's made other similar transactions knowing where the money came from bad places or are they just being assholes???

Yeah is the guy some big crypto money launderer for criminals or do the feds just go around reddit PMing weirdos?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

LinYutang posted:

Feeling very foolish RN! Couldn’t have guessed that it was actually bitcoiners’ bank accounts that were on a straight shot to $0, haha oh well that’s bitcoin ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

My rear end is going to the moon: :yosbutt:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ah yes The bargaining stage

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinBase/comments/7z4hrv/gdax_temporarily_trading_functionality_suspension/

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Is a bitcoin supposed to rust like that?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Regrettable posted:

Especially since literally no one here thought it would hit $0.

Even beanie babies are still worth something today, lmao.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Even beanie babies are still worth something today, lmao.

Even paycoin is, and that was a completely transparent bullshit scam.

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/paycoin2/

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
do the bitcoin enthusiasts who say its easy and reliable to cash out have an opinion on coinbase or any of the previous premiere exchanges that (exit-scammed) encountered technical difficulties? i dont want to give away the game but those 2 things have always been related concepts

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

gary oldmans diary posted:

do the bitcoin enthusiasts who say its easy and reliable to cash out have an opinion on coinbase or any of the previous premiere exchanges that (exit-scammed) encountered technical difficulties? i dont want to give away the game but those 2 things have always been related concepts

There's literally thousands of examples of people cashing out their millions, just go look them up fudster!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
FCC Ordered a man to shutdown his Antminer S5 because it was generating 700 Mhz emissions that interfered with T-Mobile's assigned band

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/18/...ireless-network

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Uranium 235 posted:

remember this guy?

And yet the real crime is still that picture. Goddamn do I hate red/black shirt/tie combos. I've bartended so many weddings and other functions, and there's always one idiot dressed like that and it always looks terrible.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

lol

quote:

Japanese cryptocurrency exchange Zaif has admitted a “system glitch” allowed customers to temporarily ‘buy’ trillions of dollars worth of Bitcoin for free last week, local online journal The Asahi Shimbun reported Wednesday, Jan. 21.

Zaif informed users about the glitch in a post on their site Tuesday, Jan. 20, explaining that for 18 minutes on Feb. 16 users accidentally found themselves able to ‘trade’ yen for virtual currency — at an exchange rate of 0 yen per coin.

Asahi Shimbun reports that seven users where able to obtain crypto for “free”, but the exchange managed to cancel all illicitly-gained transactions.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/japan-zaif-exchange-reports-glitch-20-trillion-in-btc-temporarily-purchased-for-0-yen

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tetramin posted:

Yeah is the guy some big crypto money launderer for criminals or do the feds just go around reddit PMing weirdos?
There's every indication the feds do the latter hoping to get lucky making the former but if nothing else keeping their prosecutor's stats up.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Offtopic please continue your important discussion.

Hey Comfy Fleece Sweater!
Lowtax closed the thread before I could send you your gift certificate.
just give me an email address and ill send it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Luckily they only bought tether

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I was told my article about the current crypto market contains too many strong assertions about tether. I was told to tone it down. I thought "Jesus Christ, this is so loving dodgy" was toning it down.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Miners of Bitcoin Latina (what??) SODL, driving the price from $17 to $2, CEO of the shitcoin endeavor melts down on telegram. sfyl

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

What they meant to write “Japanese butt exchange accidents;;y reveals true value of crypto currency”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

junan_paalla posted:

Miners of Bitcoin Latina (what??) SODL, driving the price from $17 to $2, CEO of the shitcoin endeavor melts down on telegram. sfyl

Sorry for your life?