Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
if you're telling me albanians don't know how to build bunkers you're lying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Buying 100 cheap cellphones for the locals (who love us) to give us a ring if they spot something odd/suspicious/hostile might be a good start.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Yooper posted:

Patrol : How do we patrol the area and how do we respond to threats?
Focus on #1! Patrol specifics.

I figure our patrolling has to be geared toward defeating our potential threats.

1. Air strike - anything from two Viggens hit-and-running to a full Alpha Strike.
2. Ground attack - full-scale company+ assault of Gjader with infantry, armor, mortars etc.
3. Raids - an SAS Paddy Mayne style raid to wreck planes and cause mayhem.
4. SAM trap - posting MANPADs teams to snipe planes as they take off and land.
5. Sabotage - a mole gets into the base and starts wrecking things, putting caltrops on the runway, etc.

--------

To deal with these threats, we need a combination of Checkpoints, Sea Patrols, Ground Patrols, [u[Ground OPs[/u], Air Patrols,, Ground QRF, QRA Strike, and QRA or CAP Interceptors.

--------

For ground threats we follow a Detect -> Decide -> Defend cycle.

Detection is left up to our Checkpoints (10-15 men teams watching the major roads), Sea Patrols (the Dutch in RHIBs and the NH 90s), Ground Patrols (four-man teams walking the perimeter), Ground OPs sniper/observer teams in hidden sites on the hills, and Air Patrols (the Atlantique and Reapers, working on 8-hours shifts 24/7 - along with the Mirage) patrolling the area around Gjader.

If a potential threat is Detected, the Air or Ground Patrols move in to investigate. If they report hostiles (or if our patrols suddenly go dark), we Decide the threat is real.

When we Defend against the ground threat, the Air Patrol will engage with Brimstones and/or Paveways to buy us time. Then we'll send in the Ground QRF (Quick Reaction Force) (a platoon+ of mechanized infantry) and scramble the QRA (Quick Reaction Alert) Strike (2-3 MiG-21s, MiG-27s, Tornadoes or the Mirage or the AMX A-11) to engage it.

We'll also need security guards and counter-intel people on-based to protect aircraft and key facilities from moles and sabotage.

--------

For air threats, we follow the same Detect -> Decide -> Defend cycle.

Detection is done by the Ground Master, I-Hawk, and/or the Dutch frigates. The Argus might also be sent up during high-risk period.

If a bogey is Detected, we look at its speed, bearing, origin, altitude, IFF, and aircraft type to Decide if it's a threat. If it is, we prepare to engage it.

When we Defend, we vector in our CAP (Combat Air Patrol) (two Gripens or two F-15D, with a supporting tanker - I recommend we only send up CAPs during high-threat periods) and/or our QRA Interceptors (during daytime - post 2 Gripens or F-15D Baz on QRA or 4 less-capable Kfirs or MiG-21bis Bisons. At night, post 2 Gripens/Bazes or 2 Bison/Kfirs).

-------

In hiring terms, this means we need to make the following investments:
  • Checkpoints: 50-60 men.
  • Ground Patrols: 180-240 patrolmen. We have a big area to cover, so we'll need a fair few people Assume our guys are working 8-hour shifts.
  • Ground OPs: 1x Platoon+ of sniper teams.
  • Ground QRF: 1x Company+ of mechanized infantry (one platoon on QRF duty, one platoon resting, one platoon training).
  • Base Security: 1x Company of security personnel (one platoon provides guards for key sites, one platoon rests, one platoon trains).
  • Training cadre: 15-30 trainers get everyone trained up in airfield security, patrolling, observation, infantry tactics etc. Ideally, we'd get ex-Special Forces or former RAF Regiment or USAF Security Forces guys for this.
  • Counter-intelligence team: 20-30 counter-espionage agents to screen the people we hire and watch for moles/saboteurs.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

A more modest solution is probably to focus on the most likely threats, and the most effort-efficient threats. That would be raids, SAM traps, small air strikes, and sabotage. We're probably not going to get a full ground assault showing up with no warning, likewise a full-size air strike.

For small hit & fade air strikes: Identify the most likely NOE approaches to our base and get MANPADs set up there, ideally with radar coverage.

For general usage: Cover the base in Tunguskas, because Tunguskas are cool. More importantly, Tunguskas are pretty alright SHORAD and will shrek everything short of actual AFVs, but actual AFVs will be pretty hard to sneak in. Get like, six of them and park them around the perimeter to support foot patrols.

Bacarruda is pretty on-point with his plan (as always). We can pull the locals for checkpoint duty to save a few bucks and we might not need the snipers. Either way our air wing is going to be the decisive element here unless someone does action movie commando raids and poo poo, so we should gear our ground forces against that.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Bac, I hate to say it, but your list of manpower requirements here:

Bacarruda posted:

• Checkpoints: 50-60 men.
  • Ground Patrols: 180-240 patrolmen. We have a big area to cover, so we'll need a fair few people Assume our guys are working 8-hour shifts.
  • Ground OPs: 1x Platoon+ of sniper teams. ~50 people
  • Ground QRF: 1x Company+ of mechanized infantry (one platoon on QRF duty, one platoon resting, one platoon training). ~200 people
  • Base Security: 1x Company of security personnel (one platoon provides guards for key sites, one platoon rests, one platoon trains). ~150 people
  • Training cadre: 15-30 trainers get everyone trained up in airfield security, patrolling, observation, infantry tactics etc. Ideally, we'd get ex-Special Forces or former RAF Regiment or USAF Security Forces guys for this.
  • Counter-intelligence team: 20-30 counter-espionage agents to screen the people we hire and watch for moles/saboteurs.

Yeah, that amounts to 50 + 200 + 50 + 200 + 150 + 20 + 20 ~= 690 people, on average, that you are proposing to vet and hire over the course of two weeks. That's more than thirty a day. Short of straight up conscripting every able-bodied adult in town, that's not happening.

We're an air based company, and thus our response needs to focus on the air resources we've already got. Sure, we can run the Ground Master and the Marjata all day long, but the main ground patrol element will be our Reapers, our NH-90s, and maaaaaybe our Atlantique. As for anti-air, the good folks in discord have observed that our Bisons are good for at least one hour in the air, and need three hours turnaround time on the ground. That means we can have a pair of Bisons doing racetracks over our base 24-7 as long as we regularly rotate the crews. That's not even getting into our Eagles or Gripens or our Erieye or Prowler.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

My only issue with using the Bisons for that is (and this is an honest question, not "here's why I think it's bad") do they have an air search radar good enough for this? Let's assume nobody's trying any NOE poo poo, how far out can a Bison spot a non-LO target? Assuming worst case, where the Bisons spot someone at max range, can we scramble our birds in time to stop them? Or alternate comedy option, same question but one of the Reapers getting a visual notification at max range? IIRC they should have the endurance for the two of them to take 12-hour shifts in turns but we should probably order them to land the moment a hostile is spotted because they will get completely owned in air-to-air engagements.

If the answer is "no" I'm not really sure what to do instead. Stacking random plane spotters with binoculars around the countryside may be our most cost effective strategy, mind you.

PS:

Radio Free Kobold posted:

For general usage: Cover the base in Tunguskas, because Tunguskas are cool. More importantly, Tunguskas are pretty alright SHORAD and will shrek everything short of actual AFVs, but actual AFVs will be pretty hard to sneak in. Get like, six of them and park them around the perimeter to support foot patrols.

Pantsirs are newer/cooler and we already own two but I am all for this in general. Don't forget those two Shilkas that we parked somewhere, those are also perfectly capable of mulching infantry.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Bac, I hate to say it, but your list of manpower requirements here:

Yeah, that amounts to 50 + 200 + 50 + 200 + 150 + 20 + 20 ~= 690 people, on average, that you are proposing to vet and hire over the course of two weeks. That's more than thirty a day. Short of straight up conscripting every able-bodied adult in town, that's not happening.

I hadn't been planning on hiring everyone all at one go.

We already have a local militia working for us, so I figure we already have 100-200 (and maybe more) already working for us, which means we only need to hire 500-600 more folks.

As for the rest, the simplest option is to just hire a battalion-sized PMC. We've bumped into tons of them so far (Alabama ANG, the Bulgarians), so we know they exist. Maybe give Cobbie a call?

Davin Valkri posted:

We're an air based company, and thus our response needs to focus on the air resources we've already got. Sure, we can run the Ground Master and the Marjata all day long, but the main ground patrol element will be our Reapers, our NH-90s, and maaaaaybe our Atlantique. As for anti-air, the good folks in discord have observed that our Bisons are good for at least one hour in the air, and need three hours turnaround time on the ground. That means we can have a pair of Bisons doing racetracks over our base 24-7 as long as we regularly rotate the crews. That's not even getting into our Eagles or Gripens or our Erieye or Prowler.

Completely agreed.

I think we could have gotten away with using just air recon and the militia we already had for base security - and then spent our money on something else. But since we're here, we might as well properly do base security.

Is the reaction time between a QRA and a CAP meaningfully different? If not, a QRA seems best.

Constant CAP will be expensive and risks sidelining aircraft in future operations due to maintenance issues. Our 3DP aircraft are prone to breaking mid-air, and putting lots of hours on the Bisons flying CAP increases the risk of failures.

power crystals posted:

My only issue with using the Bisons for that is (and this is an honest question, not "here's why I think it's bad") do they have an air search radar good enough for this? Let's assume nobody's trying any NOE poo poo, how far out can a Bison spot a non-LO target? Assuming worst case, where the Bisons spot someone at max range, can we scramble our birds in time to stop them? Or alternate comedy option, same question but one of the Reapers getting a visual notification at max range? IIRC they should have the endurance for the two of them to take 12-hour shifts in turns but we should probably order them to land the moment a hostile is spotted because they will get completely owned in air-to-air engagements.

If the answer is "no" I'm not really sure what to do instead. Stacking random plane spotters with binoculars around the countryside may be our most cost effective strategy, mind you.

The Slot Back radar (60 nmi or 111 km range) on the Bisons has no look-down, shoot-down capability and a search arc like a soda straw.

If we use them for CAP or QRA, we'd need to use good old Soviet-style Ground Control Intercept tactics using information from the Dutch frigates, the Ground Master, or the I-HAWK's search radar to vector them onto the target.

The Eagles are much better for the CAP role. Their AN/APG-63 radar has longer range (176 km) and look-down, shoot-down capability. But...they can't ID targets.

Which is part of why I wanted the Baz-2000s so much. They get an Israeli radar upgrade that increases their radar range to 185km and it adds NCTR capability so it can see ID aircraft types and determine who is hostile or not.

Back to the point, the Ground Master search radar we have can also do NCTR and has a 100 nmi range. The Argus has an NCTR-capable radar with even longer range. Might as well just keep the fighters on Alert 5 and get them airborne when a threat appears on scope.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 20, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Would mounting a radar to a commercial craft be a viable jury-rig?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

RandomPauI posted:

Would mounting a radar to a commercial craft be a viable jury-rig?

:thunk:

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
The E-7 Wedgetail (below) and the E3 Sentry too, .

Buying another AWACS is a good idea and we should do it when we can, but jury-rigging an airliner or other commercial aircraft is probably just as expensive if we want a decent radar.

Bacarruda posted:

As for the rest, the simplest option is to just hire a battalion-sized PMC. We've bumped into tons of them so far (Alabama ANG, the Bulgarians), so we know they exist. Maybe give Cobbie a call?

Agree, this is probably the best option if we need troops but it'll likely be expensive. The Bulgarians had really nice AA assets too (didn't they bring the S-300?). Can we hire ground mercs Yooper?
(Especially if we can get Cobbie and Bruce.)

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 20, 2018

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Jesus you guys are overinflating manpower requirements on this when there are simple cheap technological ways to reduce them.

1: erect an electrical fence around the airfield. Cheap way to deny immediate access
2: Security cameras en masse.
3: Helicopters and drones patrol outer area with thermal cameras. Using lots of manpower to patrol outlying areas is wasteful an ineffective. you want to cover large areas? use air. Also area is densely populated. Encourage locals to report in anything suspicious.
4: Centralized rapid response QRF of about 90 men.
5: 2-3 man checkpoint at all roads leading in.
6: 6 2 man patrols around the area with 3 rotations per day.
7: permanent security detail at the hangars. Don't have to be many, they just have to be there.
8: Mortar battery to immediately combat enemy targets if they manage to infiltrate.
9: Limit access to base, implement security cards. Make sure that all patrol and checkpoint people know one another.

Final manpower requirement for security is about 160-190 men. If we face a force that that number can't deal with we'll know way in advance and we can bomb it in our usual fashion.

orcbuster fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 20, 2018

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Just to clarify, yes, we do have a Shilka.

I-HAWK (1)
Pantsir (2)
Shilka (2)

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

As for CAP it is definitly something we want. To boil it down the plane most suitable for this is the F-15 as they have the best range and can be tanked. Have them fly a 2 plane flight at all times near the base.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

We should stash some caches of free beer in strategic locations where attacking adversaries are likely to discover and utilize the contents.

e: I think we could productively invest at least half-a-million dollars in this asset. I volunteer to manage and allot the tactical reserve.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

orcbuster posted:

As for CAP it is definitly something we want. To boil it down the plane most suitable for this is the F-15 as they have the best range and can be tanked. Have them fly a 2 plane flight at all times near the base.

Almost every enemy airbase we've blitzed, we were able to do it easily almost entirely because they had no CAP up. We sneak up using terrain, ALARM the air defenses and bomb the hell out of the hangars etc. Even a two-ship CAP would complicate things immensely for us on the offensive, so I agree that we really really should get our own CAP up at all times.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Right now we have some Albanian yokels with stolen and outdated equipment for a ground force. They'll keep the riffraff out but they won't be able to stop a proper wetworks team or a determined assault. It's time we outsource our ground troop needs to professionals!

We should call up the Bulgarian Brotherhood and their Bulgarian crimeboss. We got them out of their contract in Angola(and killed quite a few of them). See if they're willing to work for us, or know outfits that do. Or maybe our employer mr. Kozlek knows some people.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

Right now we have some Albanian yokels with stolen and outdated equipment for a ground force. They'll keep the riffraff out but they won't be able to stop a proper wetworks team or a determined assault. It's time we outsource our ground troop needs to professionals!

We should call up the Bulgarian Brotherhood and their Bulgarian crimeboss. We got them out of their contract in Angola(and killed quite a few of them). See if they're willing to work for us, or know outfits that do. Or maybe our employer mr. Kozlek knows some people.

I don't trust the heavily armed slavs to not cause trouble with the other heavily armed slavs.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

orcbuster posted:

Jesus you guys are overinflating manpower requirements on this when there are simple cheap technological ways to reduce them.

1: erect an electrical fence around the airfield. Cheap way to deny immediate access
2: Security cameras en masse.
3: Helicopters and drones patrol outer area with thermal cameras. Using lots of manpower to patrol outlying areas is wasteful an ineffective. you want to cover large areas? use air. Also area is densely populated. Encourage locals to report in anything suspicious.
4: Centralized rapid response QRF of about 90 men.
5: 2-3 man checkpoint at all roads leading in.
6: 6 2 man patrols around the area with 3 rotations per day.
7: permanent security detail at the hangars. Don't have to be many, they just have to be there.
8: Mortar battery to immediately combat enemy targets if they manage to infiltrate.
9: Limit access to base, implement security cards. Make sure that all patrol and checkpoint people know one another.

Final manpower requirement for security is about 160-190 men. If we face a force that that number can't deal with we'll know way in advance and we can bomb it in our usual fashion.

Fair enough, 600 people might be a high-end number. But 150-200 is also far too low a number, even if we crowdsource some things and build a fence (both excellent ideas, btw).

Even a modest-sized USAF base in CONUS has a 200-300 person Security Forces squadron assigned to it. And they aren't worried about an imminent attack and they don't have mortars or artillery to man.

I think we're looking at two companies (200-400 people) just for the QRF and the base security guards (even having a couple of guards at key sites adds up fast). And we still need a mortar squad or platoon.

As for the area patrols - 12 men isn't near enough to patrol this big an area on foot. Even if we put them on quads (which might be worth it), they still can't patrol the Gjader perimeter in time. And we do need ground patrols - I have a ton of faith in our Reapers, but we need boots in the ground to investigate what they spot and to look for things they might miss (like footprints in the snow).

Outlaw1011
Dec 4, 2017
Gjader isn't a large (above ground) base. When the RAF Regiment deploys to a foreign airbase the total security force is seldom larger than an oversized company (171 pers I believe). Granted if I understand correctly their role is ground defense.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Squad sized security patrols are a bad idea for continuous patrols. They have a tendency to distract one another more than add anything. two man is ideal for keeping tabs on each others jobs and safety and is the standard for security for a reason. If possible get dog patrols though. Remember they are there to detect enemies NOT to fend them off by themselves. That is not what patrols are for.

Patrolling the outer perimeter effectively just isn't going to happen even if you send 600 guys to do it. you need to have some guys out there to immediately respond and investigate suspicious contacts reported by helis and drones but large area effective coverage simply is not viable. If anything is armed you send the QRF, if anything is suspicious you send out a nearby patrol or a standby car mounted squad whichever is closest. 12 patrols might be needed plus some guys in jeeps on standby in addition to what I already mentioned. That I will concede. We might also want guard towers around the fence perimeter with 2 man OPs. Bump that number up to 250 and we're there.

Also plant landmines and mark it. Or plant fake land mines and mark it. Both work.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

orcbuster posted:

Squad sized security patrols are a bad idea for continuous patrols. They have a tendency to distract one another more than add anything. two man is ideal for keeping tabs on each others jobs and safety and is the standard for security for a reason. If possible get dog patrols though. Remember they are there to detect enemies NOT to fend them off by themselves. That is not what patrols are for.

Patrolling the outer perimeter effectively just isn't going to happen even if you send 600 guys to do it. you need to have some guys out there to immediately respond and investigate suspicious contacts reported by helis and drones but large area effective coverage simply is not viable. If anything is armed you send the QRF, if anything is suspicious you send out a nearby patrol or a standby car mounted squad whichever is closest. 12 patrols might be needed plus some guys in jeeps on standby in addition to what I already mentioned. That I will concede. We might also want guard towers around the fence perimeter with 2 man OPs. Bump that number up to 250 and we're there.

Also plant landmines and mark it. Or plant fake land mines and mark it. Both work.

I understand how patrolling works. You'll note I didn't suggest we send out section-strength patrols.

Dog patrols are a good idea, although we will need specialized dogs and handlers for roaming patrols. We can put dogs on dog runs for fence security, though.

Guard towers are nice, but vulnerable (unless we get some kind of armored Super Sangar). I think we can do the same thing with less manpower by using cameras.

Land mines are gonna get set off by civilians and livestock. I don't wanna eat any more goat. Maybe use trip flares and command-detonated landmines like Claymores?

Based on what we've been talking about - let's reasess our manpower needs:

Mobile Patrols: 72 troops on foot or motorcycles/quads, some with dogs (assume 12 two-man patrols pulling one eight hour shift a day).
Checkpoints: 36 men (looking at the map, there are five good locations for road VCPs, plus one for the gate to our base - assuming three guys per VCP (one to check cars, one to work the road barrier or spike strips, one on an MG) on rotating shifts).
OPs: 40 men (10 concealed OPson high ground around the base, each with a four man team. Ideally, we could give some laser designators and basic FAC training).
QRF: 100 men (one 30-man BTR-60 platoon with three vehicles as the active QRF pulling a 12-hour alert shift and one 30-man infantry platoon as the off-duty QRF element, along with a 10-man company(-) HQ).
Mortar Platoon: 20 men (120mm mortars with 15 mortarmen for three tubes, plus a 5-man HQ and FO element).
Base Security: 60-90 men (we have to defend the aircraft bunkers, fuel, ammo, operations/HQ, the runways and taxiways, and the SAM, AAA and radar sites. Guarding each one will take 2-4 people to watch and we'd out them on 8-12 hour shifts - just abstract this by plopping down two or three infantry platoons in the center of the base.

That puts us at around 330-350 personnel. Sound reasonable?

I'd like to invest in some counter-intel teams and some training cadre as well. Our local militia guys That might add another 20-30 people to the payroll, if we stick to the bare bones.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

We will run a few levels of patrols.

First will be naval assets headed up by the Tokyo Bay Fortress. They will cover our west and rotate out of our local harbor. Closer in our radars will be located on strategic bluffs to give optimal radar coverage. The Atlantique and both Reapers will cycle while monitoring for threats. A pair of rapid-response interceptors will remain warmed up at all times with half the fleet on quick-standby (20 minutes) while the rest would take longer. (60 minutes +/-) If a threat is detected earlier via BONER or from Arsenal AD, then our assets can launch sooner.

On the ground is more difficult. At the moment we have approximately 150 Albanian locals. Some are grizzled veterans who have served in a multitude of messy Balkan wars while others have only fired a weapon in a video game.

Armament is small arms (AK's). An occasional 12.7mm, maybe an old Yugo RPG or two. You'll also find Enfields and one dude even has an STG-44 (but no bullets).

They are good at things like chasing after people, beating up the milk run guy, an cat-calling the female employees. In a firefight roughly half will be totally useless.

For actual professionals there are, of course, some PMC's. We love PMC's. We can depreciate them if they live long enough. (Says Herbert)

Option #1 - 150 Soldiers - APC's - Light Artillery - $10 Million Retainer

Kuongs Kamrades
A re-zoning of the Korean DMZ left an infantry company of North Koreans stranded in a political no mans zone. No one wanted to own up to someone on the wrong side so the UN took them in and promptly dropped them into Namibia for some "police action". One the NK troops had a taste of capitalism they are all about whooping it up, making the big bucks, and not dying of starvation. Rock solid. Tough. Steely eyed. They will give no fucks.

Option #2 - 300 Soldiers - APC's - Light Armor - Mortars - $20 Million Retainer

Chingola LLC
Once members of the Zambia Defence Force, this group fought against encroaching militias and crazy people (picture above) and worked to keep Zambia from not being like most of the rest of Africa. After the 2nd economic reform of Zambia the military found itself unfunded and this group struck out for greener ($$$) pastures. Not quite as hardcore as the Korean's, but they know a good fight when they see it. Used to close quarters fighting.

Option #3- 400 Soldiers - Armor - No Artillery - $30 Million

Ivanov Front
There are times that the Russians are a militia. Then there are times they are a "militia". This time, they are just plain old mercenaries. Veterans of Afghanistan, Chechnya, Georgia, Ukraine, Estonia, and even Finland 2022. Most found themselves on the wrong side of the administration and are now involuntary exiles. But seeing as the rest of the world doesn't really tolerate Russians ex-"volunteers" they turned sell-sword. Trustworthy, professional, and of course extraordinarily violent. Recommended by our Bulgarian Mafia friends.

Options #2 and #3 have personnel that can train our local militia. Option #1 lacks the language skills to do much other than fanatically shoot at who we tell them to.

Pick one! Then we'll move on to facilities.

Edit : For defensive duties only. These guys aren't going cross country.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 21, 2018

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Voting #2

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
Chingola

Mortars will ruin infiltrators if we can pin them. Along with the Albanians they can train they provide bulk that the North Koreans simply can't and if we end up needing heavy armour and 400 highly trained Russians to kill something then we can just flatten it with our strike aircraft instead.

Outlaw1011
Dec 4, 2017
I'm voting for Chingola. They seem reliable, can train us a security force and bring a mortar which could really help with any ground incursion.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
b

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

FORTRESS SHKODËR

OK so as to our security concern is. Short story, we're currently hosed. Good news its not hard to remedy.

Bad news is we're gonna say goodbye to our hangars and move them out of town

SITUATIONAL DESCRIPTION:

Currently our hangars and accessway is literally in the middle of the town. This is just not acceptable. I don't care how much the locals love us. Every security guy in existance would kill anyone suggesting we stay without kicking out the natives (not an option they comprise a major part of security and provide recreation) or moving the planes, so moving planes it is. as it drastically reduces manpower demands.

INNER SECURITY:

Fortunately we don't have to move far. Secondary runway will become our new hangar basing spot barracks can remain in the town. Equipment can't. So we need to build a series of bunkers along the secondary runway. Next we fence the base (denoted by yellow line) in and electrify it with a series of 10 watchtowers requiring about 60 men to watch constantly with rotations. Yellow line denotes its location. We're lucky enough to have our approach be blocked by two streams and most of the northern line will be built along the closest stream to the north. All security within this fence will be provided by the albanians. with exception of a mortar team stationed inside the fence

Base will have three entrances among the fence. one to the village. one to the north and one to the southern crossroad. These will be constantly manned. 2 at the gate 6 on standby. inside we will have two 2-man patrols at all times with three rotations. Inner QRF will be handled by a platoon. and 2 squads will be stationed at the planes at all times. in total our inner security detail numbers around 150.

OUTER SECURITY:

Good news! we have natural defenses on all sides. Only viable approach for any sort of large scale assault is from the north. And that approach is dominated by two hill formations. Any major attack will have to take those and will pay dearly for it, so that is where we will dig in. Start blasting bunkers in the hills! We will have one company of our mercs hold each of those positions as well as patrolling the entire northern area. Other potential infiltration routes are the points on the map denoted by pink lines so we need at least one squad on each those points. Even if that approach is unlikely. In the mountains we will have 6 permanent squads patrolling denoted by the purple crosses. Outside the fence we will also have 6 motorized patrols on whatever vehicle we find at all times patroling near the outside of the fence. We also need to have our reaper patrol constantly along the mountains. In total this comes up to about 300 men.

I therefore advice that we hire Chingola for this. they have mortars and the numbers and the experience fighting in close quarters.

orcbuster fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 21, 2018

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Chingola LLC for me, please.

Also, Yooper, with regards to the upcoming mission, can you clarify something for me? Which of the below scenarios is true?

1) We are going to execute an air raid on an enemy Bison 3d Printing facility. The enemy is going to launch an air raid against us. These attacks will happen sequentially, with the enemy air raid happening first.

2) We are going to execute an air raid on an enemy Bison 3d Printing facility. The enemy is going to launch an air raid against us. These attacks will happen sequentially, with our strike happening first.

3) We are going to execute an air raid on an enemy Bison 3d Printing facility. The enemy is going to launch an air raid against us. These attacks will happen simultaneously.

Also also, orcbuster, I'm not sure that kind of massive remodeling is possible within a two week time frame. It's basically "We should take Gjader Air Base and push it somewhere else!"

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Davin Valkri posted:

Also also, orcbuster, I'm not sure that kind of massive remodeling is possible within a two week time frame. It's basically "We should take Gjader Air Base and push it somewhere else!"

Well its the only option where all my manpower needs are met by chingola and the albanians. at most its moving the airplanes a few hundred meters. It also basically takes care of gjader security for all future ops.

orcbuster fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 21, 2018

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Going with door number one in terms of retainers

Do we honestly need more than people who can shoot stuff real good? Hell, they have the best BBQ in the tri-state area, by god, and we’d be remiss if we pass up on that!

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

pinchofginger
Nov 7, 2009
Fallen Rib
I like the Koreans.

Regarding Orcbuster’s suggestion for moving Gjader, I don’t think it’s either necessary or a good idea. Accepting that literally having a town on our airstrip accessway is suboptimal, there are things we can do to reduce and mitigate risk without a) mass deportation (a terrible idea that will just create us 500 new enemies) or b) relocating to a less secure location.

Proposition Seachange
HG’s public relations team should commence very gentle efforts to buy up dwellings with line of sight to taxiways and runways. No high-pressure tactics, just generous offers including relocation to a beachfront redevelopment in Shengjin.

Businesses in the area should not be purchased and should remain open and should be assured of our continued patronage.

This should be augmented with proper hearts-and-minds outreach (which we’re already doing), payments for information leading to the uncovering or enemy activity and educating the townsfolk on what to do in the event of an enemy air raid.

This is all likely to be cheaper than relocating, and maintains our respectful symbiotic relationship with the good people of Gjader’s Runway district.

pinchofginger fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 21, 2018

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I think the Zambia - Option 2 are good. They have mortars, light armor, and APC's. They're mobile, seem relatively professional, and can help train locals. We don't really need to beat off a combined arms assault - we're worried it sounds like more saboteurs or infiltrators or hit and run attacks. Anything super heavy we'll hopefully see coming and can scramble to bomb. I also hink wtihin reason we should get some more AA/SAM's and maybe another mobile radar to use for ground cover.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 21, 2018

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

wedgekree posted:

I think the Koreans - Option 2 are good.

Heads up: Koreans are option 1. Option 2 are Zambians, and seem to be what you're referring to.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

Heads up: Koreans are option 1. Option 2 are Zambians, and seem to be what you're referring to.

Corrected, thanks! Shows you my abilities to read (hint: They are not very good)

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Chingola LLC is what we need.

The problem with the Koreans is

Yooper posted:

Option #1 lacks the language skills to do much other than fanatically shoot at who we tell them to.

They may be the best equipped and the cheapest but they just don't mesh with our existing setup very well.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

As much as I want to like the North Koreans, with both light armor and light artillery and local training potential and an affordable price, Chingola really is the best option.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
Polite green men Ivanov Front. 400 angry Russians that likely are the best at training militia and have the most specialists like dog handlers, and FACs is what we need.
The lack of mortars sucks but they'll make up for it with armour and professionalism. (I like Chingola LLC too,but they'll probably win anyways.)

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
The Russians are awesome, but they have heavy armor and no artillery. We're -likely- going to be dealing wtih infiltrators or saboteurs. I'd guess we're not going to have a full on frontal assault or a combined arms attack. We're likely goin to deal with hit and run raiders. So the ability to maneuver and respond quickly is of the essence. The Russiasn are best setup for a frontal combat engagement which we're likely not goin gto have. The Zamibians have superior mobility with light APC's and armor, but more importantly -mortars- which will mess up infantry and light vehicles. If the Russians had lighter mobile units or some artillery with them I'd take them in an instant just in case we -do- have an armored batallion hitting us. But they're setup for a heavy frontal attack by their equipment and we need soemthing moe flexible - ergo the Zamibians.

Also I feel like the ability to work wtih/train/coordinate with the locals is important because they know the area, and if we're goin gto be hit with a heavy attack by infiltrators they're goin gto best know the routes and the local traffic to help defend and setup security.