Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I got an FM Vanishing Point in the mail today and I think I found my One True nib size. For Pilot at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
God drat why are Pelikan inks so dryyyyy? I could sprinkle this Blue-Black on the driveway to soak up motor oil

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Trustworthy posted:

God drat why are Pelikan inks so dryyyyy? I could sprinkle this Blue-Black on the driveway to soak up motor oil

To counteract those juicy nibs

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Lowness 72 posted:

To counteract those juicy nibs

But when a nib is too wet, I just tune it to be a little less wet. :confused:

edit: I guess it could be helpful to counteract a real piece-of-poo poo drippy feed, but I guess I've just never had that problem...? Maybe it's because I'm a filthy poor and the problem is exclusive to the FP bourgeoisie with their BBB M1000s and whatnot

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 20, 2018

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I tossed a Plumix stub nib into my Metro and it's leaking like a sieve. A full converter drains in a few days. I've cleaned and reseated the nib and feed a few times and nothing seems to help. Should I have transferred both the nib and the feed instead?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Kessel: you have a lot of great feedback on the FPN in a couple of the LA Pen Show 2018 threads.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
gently caress you, Canada Customs. How long do you need to deliberate on a pen that costs $30?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

grack posted:

gently caress you, Canada Customs. How long do you need to deliberate on a pen that costs $30?

How long u got

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My PenBBS cranberry and Amber pens came today. The amber look is nice and chunky, but the shape keeps me from posting the cap! The cap does not have a clip so I think it is a matter of time before I lose it.

The cranberry finish looks conspicuously like freshly-smashed cranberry sauce with skins.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The Electronaut posted:

Kessel: you have a lot of great feedback on the FPN in a couple of the LA Pen Show 2018 threads.

I gotta take a look. Is it on Ricky’s show recap thread?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Haven't been here in a few years, but my pilot metro is the one pen I still use, also have another pilot that sometimes gets used, all my noodlers and such went into the trash.

Anyway I really really like baystate blue but it feathers like crazy on the cheap paper I got at work, which is where I get most practical use out of it. Has there been any new inks that can compete with baystate blue but aren't as prone to feathering? I also don't like to water it down, destroys the blue brilliance quite fast.

E: Blue eel would be my 2nd favorite, it is not as resistant to getting wet though, like not at all. Otherwise I would probably use it.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 21, 2018

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

grack posted:

My TWSBI should have been delivered on Friday. Can Post says it will be here today, this Friday at the latest, but with an unexpected $28 customs fee.

What the hell? I'll end up paying it, but ~$30 CAD for something I paid ~$100 CAD for seems excessive.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Kessel posted:

I gotta take a look. Is it on Ricky’s show recap thread?

Went to go find the URL but saw your post. :)

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The amber look is nice and chunky, but the shape keeps me from posting the cap!

Fountain pen realtalk: posting is a sin and a crime and also dumb

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

grack posted:

i got chewed out by a canadian border guy once because i didn't have enough cash lmfao

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I mailed a $20 film camera to someone in Canada and they got slapped with a $300 fee because whoever inspected the box saw the little LCD display on the top of the camera and assumed it was digital and poo poo, even though the form said Nikon n80 film camera.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

ArmZ posted:

i got chewed out by a canadian border guy once because i didn't have enough cash lmfao

Crossing the border into Canada the border guard asks me if I had any firearms. It went like this:

:cop: Do you have any firearms in your vehicle?

:v: No.

:cop: Why not?

:v: [puzzled look] I thought firearms were illegal in Canada. (I knew they weren't, but it was such a weird question, I didn't know what else to say.)

:cop: WHATT???!?!?!? Of course they're legal!!! What makes you think they aren't!?!?!? :rant:

:v: Uhh.. next time, I guess I'll bring some?

In March, I think I'm going to the fountain pen store in NYC to try a bunch of nicer ones out before I buy them one.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Well, some not so encouraging news today: the pen did not arrive. It was supposed to have been delivered last Friday. It appears it got on a truck going to my local post office and did not get off, which best case scenario means it was knocked down and looked over... for the last few days.

The Canada Post employee I spoke to last night gave me hope, telling me it would be here today, Friday at the latest, but the guy I spoke to today said that the sender opening up an investigative ticket might be the only way to find it.

I'm worried it was lost somehow, which I think the sender is prepared to argue is not his fault (it wasn't) to Paypal.

Ugh. :smith:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

Crossing the border into Canada the border guard asks me if I had any firearms. It went like this:

:cop: Do you have any firearms in your vehicle?

:v: No.

:cop: Why not?

:v: [puzzled look] I thought firearms were illegal in Canada. (I knew they weren't, but it was such a weird question, I didn't know what else to say.)

:cop: WHATT???!?!?!? Of course they're legal!!! What makes you think they aren't!?!?!? :rant:

:v: Uhh.. next time, I guess I'll bring some?

The border guards' job (on both sides) is basically to get you to gently caress up and say something wrong or contradictory. Purportedly it's so they can catch people who are lying but I think they just do it to feel big.

Once I was crossing into the USA and as I was filling out the customs form I realized I had an apple in my coat pocket. Because I am excessively honest, I checked the box that said "fruits or vegetables."

:cop: What fruits or vegetables do you have?
:v: I have this apple that I forgot to eat earlier. (places it on the desk)
:cop: Can't bring that through here.
:v: Oh, okay. Uh...can I throw it out here?
:cop: Not unless you want to be detained.
:confused: Uh...so...what can I...
:cop: (draws a big X on the form) You go to secondary screening over there. Next

TEN MINUTES LATER

:cop: What fruits or vegetables do you have?
:v: I have this apple that I forgot to eat earlier.
:cop: Can't bring that through here.
:v: Right, the guy out there told me I could throw it out here.
:cop: (sigh) (lifts up a yellow BIOHAZARD bin, no joke)
:cop: Where are you going?
:v: San Francisco.
:cop: What was the purpose of your trip?
:v: Visiting family.
:cop: Do you have any more fruits in your bag?
:v: No, just the apple.
:cop: How long were you out of the country?
:v: About three weeks.
:cop: Do you have any fruits to declare?
:v: ...no? Just that apple I threw out.

and it went on like that for several minutes, repeatedly asking me if I had any more fruit. Like why the gently caress? If I were trying to smuggle dangerous Canadian apples into the United States, why would I tell the guy about the one in my pocket? What did he think I was trying to do?

:iiam:

e: oh cool we hit the smiley limit for the page.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Super Troopers is the most accurate description of law enforcement committed to film.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

grack posted:

The nib tines need to be spread apart slightly. You can look on Youtube to find out how, but you really should have a loupe to make sure you don't mess up the alignment at the same time.

I missed this response in the page change, thanks! I think I could manage that.

And who needs a loupe when you've got a ~totally cool microscope camera~ (okay I actually have both)

In other news, I keep buying ink. It is actively slowing down my goal of saving up for a 580 or something bigger but Iroshizuku stuff is just so pretty.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I ordered the new Conklin flex pen from Goulet. I'm in general not that impressed with Conklin but I thought this really hit the right combo of price/looks/functionality (I really want to try a flex pen).

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Penbbs 309 I ordered arrived. It's not bad but yeah I have to agree that at the current price the TWSBI Eco is probably a better choice since it seems much higher quality for only a little more (really that's just because the Eco is so good, though.)

Even still, I'll probably still buy the penbbs vacuum filler when it comes out if it's decent.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Lowness 72 posted:

I ordered the new Conklin flex pen from Goulet. I'm in general not that impressed with Conklin but I thought this really hit the right combo of price/looks/functionality (I really want to try a flex pen).

fuckin' lol that nib is just the old DIY mod to noodler's nibs from FPN

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

NeurosisHead posted:

It's loving Yafa, licensing other people's cheap poo poo and rebranding it as more expensive poo poo is literally ALL THEY DOOOOOOO :suicide:

edit: I mean, not LITERALLY literally, but drat near literally literally

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 22, 2018

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anybody getting in on this? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2072772343/xs-pocket-fountain-pen

I'm intrigued, though I've never heard of the company (Ensso). Bock nibs are generally pretty well-regarded though, right?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I clicked on that and was immediately turned off by the words "everyday carry." Won't buy. Quit making up stupid terms for completely banal poo poo.

Anyway unless you're dead set on the facets you can just get a Kaweco Liliput

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I clicked on that and was immediately turned off by the words "everyday carry." Won't buy. Quit making up stupid terms for completely banal poo poo.

Anyway unless you're dead set on the facets you can just get a Kaweco Liliput

Well yeah, but for about $100 more. I don't really care about the facets, but a decent metal body pocket fountain pen for $40 is appealing... obvious tradeoff being that it's a brand I've never heard of (and that it's Kickstarter, and my KS track record has been god-awful).

I don't disagree on the EDC thing, but I don't really fault the company for that. The EDC community is basically an installed market for anything pocket-sized, and it's a market that has shown they don't mind paying a premium price for the dumbest of poo poo, as long as it's small. So it's smart marketing, even if it's dumb. Though it seems like the intersection of EDCers and fountain pen users doesn't make a ton of sense.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

Well yeah, but for about $100 more. I don't really care about the facets, but a decent metal body pocket fountain pen for $40 is appealing... obvious tradeoff being that it's a brand I've never heard of (and that it's Kickstarter, and my KS track record has been god-awful).

? A Liliput is like $50, same price as that Kickstarter one.

The special edition ones are like 200 or whatever yeah but if you just want regular brass, aluminum or black, yeah, 50 bucks.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

NeurosisHead posted:

:confused:
How else are you going to get any decent amount of flex out of a nib? Cutting bits out of it is sorta how that works, isn't it?

But speaking of Ahabs, if anyone else has one of those 70mL pilot ink bottles with the little plastic cup inside, you shouldn't bother trying to fill an Ahab with that in. It's entirely too big. Conveniently, the Ahab is just the right size to pull the little plastic insert out! Man, it's been a while since I've gotten ink all over my hands like that

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't disagree on the EDC thing, but I don't really fault the company for that. The EDC community is basically an installed market for anything pocket-sized, and it's a market that has shown they don't mind paying a premium price for the dumbest of poo poo, as long as it's small. So it's smart marketing, even if it's dumb. Though it seems like the intersection of EDCers and fountain pen users doesn't make a ton of sense.

Fountain pen users, no. People willing to spend money on pens, yes. I assume they just got a decent deal on nib units or something. Plus the general cache of something "fancy." You know, for when a space pen won't cut it and nobody wants to hear about your goddamn tactical pen.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You could also get a Kaweco Sport, which is tiny, cheap and awesome (but not metal).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'd much rather have a space pen for serious "EDC", mostly because dealing with leaky pens after big altitude shifts is annoying as hell. Not to mention writing on random poo poo like cardboard or plastic.

Everyone should have a space pen.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

? A Liliput is like $50, same price as that Kickstarter one.

The special edition ones are like 200 or whatever yeah but if you just want regular brass, aluminum or black, yeah, 50 bucks.

:doh: yep, I was looking at the FireBlue the other day and just assumed all the Liliputs were that much. Nevermind then! I'd pay an extra $10 to not buy a pen from some rando company, even if I'd "technically" be buying an $80 pen.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

You could also get a Kaweco Sport, which is tiny, cheap and awesome (but not metal).

I could, but I already have an Ohto Tasche so it'd be hard to justify another cheap pocket pen. The only reason I'd consider a nicer/bigger metal one is that the Ohto is light enough that I'm paranoid I'll manage to dent it badly enough that I won't be able to uncap it or something. A Sport AL is on my shortlist, though.

Zenostein posted:

Fountain pen users, no. People willing to spend money on pens, yes. I assume they just got a decent deal on nib units or something. Plus the general cache of something "fancy." You know, for when a space pen won't cut it and nobody wants to hear about your goddamn tactical pen.

On the spectrum of stupid internet phrases, I think "tactical pen" is way deeper than "everyday carry". Bonus points if it's a "bolt action tactical pen".

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 22, 2018

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

I'd much rather have a space pen for serious "EDC", mostly because dealing with leaky pens after big altitude shifts is annoying as hell. Not to mention writing on random poo poo like cardboard or plastic.

Off topic, and not as cool looking, but uni-ball PowerTank RTs (only the RT model is pressurized) are pretty awesome because they're like disposable space pens that are less than $2 each: https://www.amazon.com/uni-ball-PowerTank-Ballpoint-Point-1-0mm/dp/B002HJDFRM/

I'm a bit hesitant to carry a fountain pen in my pocket as well, because I'm sure I'd somehow make it leak everywheere.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mystes posted:

Off topic, and not as cool looking, but uni-ball PowerTank RTs (only the RT model is pressurized) are pretty awesome because they're like disposable space pens that are less than $2 each: https://www.amazon.com/uni-ball-PowerTank-Ballpoint-Point-1-0mm/dp/B002HJDFRM/

I'm a bit hesitant to carry a fountain pen in my pocket as well, because I'm sure I'd somehow make it leak everywheere.

I admit, I bought the Tasche thinking I'd keep it on me all the time. Turns out I never carry it for exactly that reason, and usually just grab a Metro if I think I'll want one on the go, though mine has a tendency to uncap itself if I'm moving around a lot so I've kind of stopped carrying that too. Not sure what I'll actually do with the Tasche at this point.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Trustworthy posted:

Fountain pen realtalk: posting is a sin and a crime and also dumb

Especially with the recent trend in longer and heavier caps. I hate the feel that my pen is about to do a back-flip out of my hand because the CG is so high when posted.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hmm so after using the 309 a bit more, I have to say that even if the build quality doesn't seem as good as the Eco, it writes extremely smoothly. If it was just a bit cheaper I would wholeheartedly endorse it and probably buy a couple more. It's actually kind of nice how light it is, too.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Nephzinho posted:

Anyone try the Amazon basic notebook? Looks petty standard, though I have serious doubts about the paper.

I got one myself just to take a look. Its a lot like moleskine notebooks. It's okay when you're using a thin nib but the second you start getting a lot of ink on the paper you get feathering and bleeding.

It wouldn't make a bad gift, it has a bookmark and pocket and all that, but personally I prefer the clairefontaine or midori notebooks

edit: I also recently got a pilot penmanship and it has a staggeringly thin nib which I of course immediately used in an adult, responsible way.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Mr. Despair posted:

I miss my Space Pen. It slipped out of my pocket one day because of it's smooth design and I'm sure the person who found it is still using it today :(

TWSBI Update: I contacted the seller, who is a pretty good guy, and he's calling Canada Post today to open an investigation. Apparently Canada Post has a ridiculously good track record, so the package is probably not lost, but I'm still going to try to get them to waive the shipping costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Professor Shark posted:

I miss my Space Pen. It slipped out of my pocket one day because of it's smooth design and I'm sure the person who found it is still using it today :(

I carry around one that my dog chewed on a decade ago, and it's still a trooper. :unsmith:

I hate ballpoints, but nobody is ever going to convince me that carrying a fountain pen around in my pants pocket is a good/smart idea.