Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

There's a pink haired girl with what might be horns there. Two of the paintings are clearly referencing Osomatsu and Violet Evergarden, so that could be a Franxx thing?

Definitely seems to be a current season anime bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

I think this looks like it could be good. Hopefully it is.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pop team epic. That makes much more sense. Thanks for the zoom.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i would hang that in my house, no question

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm almost done with ACCA what should I watch next

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Have you seen Michiko & Hatchin?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

DisDisDis posted:

Have you watched Made in Abyss, Houseki no Kuni, or Ancient Magus Bride? Pick one.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Majestic Prince.

Or make a video of the ACCA episode previews to hear Nino talking and listen to that.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 21, 2018

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Gamers! is the next step after ACCA.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

I know it's come up in this thread, but Hakata Tonkotsu Ramen.

Paraphrased a little. posted:

"I'm a hitman. I'm here to kill you."
"You freak, you even disguised yourself as a woman?"
"Idiot. This is just a hobby. I like crossdressing.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
yeah that show eventually gets better as it leans into itself

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Fun first ep. I liked the bag trick.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I've been successfully fujobaited

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

I've been successfully fujobaited

:unsmigghh:

It's my surprise hit show of the season, honestly. I don't care if they never actually get it on, but the adventures of crossdressing blond chinese assassin dude and poofy-haired sweater-wearing PI are cute AF.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I thought it was gonna be extremely edgy I did not expect it to be a fun boyfriend comedy

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Knorth posted:

Another good pick.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Knorth posted:

I've seen something dumb like 12 out of 13 episodes and well, I'm probably never watching the last one

fun show though

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

I thought it was gonna be extremely edgy I did not expect it to be a fun boyfriend comedy

it definitely has some edge in the first arc, considering the revenge and sex trafficking stuff. it tapers off at the end though, and this new arc has been more comedic.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Yeah I watched all the currently out episodes. I guess I was expecting it to take itself a lot more seriously to the detriment of my enjoyment and also not to be a boyfriend comedy

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Lin and Banba are the best couple of the season

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
"it's just a hobby" 🥚

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I rewatched the first season of March Lion in prep for catching up with Season 2 and cried again, it's been so long since I found such a personally meaningful narrative. It's a story that honestly believes all of us are doing our absolute best to struggle and find our own happiness in life, and that by coming and being together with each other, we can absolutely find it. I love it.

I'm gonna watch Magus Bride now and catch up with that, I'm like fifteen episodes behind

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/tiramisu_anime/status/905566316987375617

I don't know anything about Space Battleship Tiramisu but I am very excited for the anime

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a comedy. i read the first chapter and i did not find it funny at all.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Expect My Mom posted:

I rewatched the first season of March Lion in prep for catching up with Season 2 and cried again, it's been so long since I found such a personally meaningful narrative. It's a story that honestly believes all of us are doing our absolute best to struggle and find our own happiness in life, and that by coming and being together with each other, we can absolutely find it. I love it.

I hate-love March Lion. It's a great show, but it's so drat hard-hitting.

Like that moment when Lisa's voice starts breaking up in Lisa's Substitute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1igmzkmTv6U

Goddammit. :cry:

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
It doesn't even try to ease you in. Hinata crying for her mother is ep 2 or 3, and the editing just makes it cut like a knife. That's the last episode I watched while my wife was still awake. :cry:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah honestly part of me rewatching of it was seeing if I had oversold it when I say it was my favorite anime of 2017 since it was around this time last year that it finished, but nah, by the end of Episode 3 when they're celebrating Obon and everyone is somber and Hina has to run off by herself to just breakdown about their mom and I was bought in all over again.

The most common complaint is that sometimes it shifts too fast in tone between serious drama and comedy, with characters like Nikaidou, Momo and Rei's teacher ruining the mood, but I feel if that didn't happen, this show would be almost unwatchable. Plus those character usually spur on other's arcs and I love everything about Nikaidou's character.

Also Shimida's arc is still one of the most powerful things to me. Shimida's seemingly endless journey to make his loved ones proud, despite knowing that they will love him regardless, because he doesn't want all of their love to go to waste, to make all of his struggle and work mean something, to the point where he has dreams were he never started playing Shogi in the first place and maybe he'd be happier that way. And then that coming to a resolution that still makes you feel warm about everything.

Chica Umino and Shaft the GOAT

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the transitions between comedy and drama were really bad in the first like three episodes but started improving after that

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
agreed as heck. i enjoy the tone a lot. stuff like the sisters always giving the mood a change-up is very familiar to me, having a ton of younger siblings and cousins

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
In perhaps the most petty, stupid reason to have trouble with "March Comes in Like A Lion" I dislike the way the mouths are drawn. It really shouldn't be a deal breaker, especially when a lot of the other art in the few episodes I have watched is really pretty and there's some beautiful individual shots as well as really nice character work but man I just can't quite get with those mouths for some reason. I'm slowly working through the show, but I just keep finding other shows to watch first instead. "Non Non Biyori", "Hakata Tonkatsu Ramens", "Gintama" and others have caught my attention and kept me from going back to watch more than the first couple of episodes mostly because of that one tiny thing. It emphasizes the characters general depression and unhappiness in the case of the main character, so I can't even disagree with it on an intellectual level but I just can't quite like it either.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they look like big cats or dogs and it is weirdly funny to me

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
rei is very sad

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I wish I liked March Lion, it was so good before the sister appeared. :negative:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

tsob posted:

In perhaps the most petty, stupid reason to have trouble with "March Comes in Like A Lion" I dislike the way the mouths are drawn. It really shouldn't be a deal breaker, especially when a lot of the other art in the few episodes I have watched is really pretty and there's some beautiful individual shots as well as really nice character work but man I just can't quite get with those mouths for some reason. I'm slowly working through the show, but I just keep finding other shows to watch first instead. "Non Non Biyori", "Hakata Tonkatsu Ramens", "Gintama" and others have caught my attention and kept me from going back to watch more than the first couple of episodes mostly because of that one tiny thing. It emphasizes the characters general depression and unhappiness in the case of the main character, so I can't even disagree with it on an intellectual level but I just can't quite like it either.

This is my exact problem with the show and I feel bad about it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

march comes in like a lion.png

gmq posted:

I wish I liked March Lion, it was so good before the sister appeared. :negative:
I think we talked about this in the Best Anime 2017 thread. It's totally cool to not like her, but she's honestly one of the most important characters in the narrative, and is nowhere near forced melodrama.

Her scenes are some of my personal favorites, creating this intimate and physical anxiety that sincerely happens when there's tension between two people who are and were that close. She's one of my favorite characters probably.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

march comes in like a lion.png

I think we talked about this in the Best Anime 2017 thread. It's totally cool to not like her, but she's honestly one of the most important characters in the narrative, and is nowhere near forced melodrama.

Her scenes are some of my personal favorites, creating this intimate and physical anxiety that sincerely happens when there's tension between two people who are and were that close. She's one of my favorite characters probably.

I think the series just wasn't what I was expecting.

Everything up to his sister appearing was the MC dealing with normal-ish problems with a cute surrogate family with their own problems and slowly making progress and then suddenly it went "oh yeah, his sister (maybe) raped him and still goes out of her way to ruin his life because of reasons." I'm not saying it's bad, maybe it handles the (incredibly heavy) topic flawlessly but I just didn't want to watch that kind of thing.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

gmq posted:

yeah and then it got better

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Devilman Crybaby (2018)

gmq posted:

Everything up to his sister appearing was the MC dealing with normal-ish problems with a cute surrogate family with their own problems and slowly making progress and then suddenly it went "oh yeah, his sister (maybe) raped him and still goes out of her way to ruin his life because of reasons." I'm not saying it's bad, maybe it handles the (incredibly heavy) topic flawlessly but I just didn't want to watch that kind of thing.
Yeah, totally fair! If it helps, there is zero sexual abuse or even sex, just past physical intimacy born out of loneliness, and imo her actions in his life are totally understandable. It's still very much Rei having normal issues with a cute family and friends as they slowly get better and help each other. She just represents a sort of mirror version of him, but even she takes part in the comedy aspects of the show.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 22, 2018

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

gmq posted:

Kyouko doesn't even show up in ~90% or more of the show and I don't think that extrapolating sexual assault from the little physical closeness we've been shown is a safe assumption at all.

As the show gets past Rei's decidedly depressing backstory and further into his relationships with the Kawamotos, Shimada, Nikaidou, and all of the other pro Shogi players, the tone gets much less grim and trends towards hopeful even when sad things happen. There's heaps of the good and satisfying type of personal progress and I find it really rewarding to watch/read. If you liked everything non-Kyouko, then I hope you don't let that one relatively minor character ruin it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if anything, the stuff with kyouko and her daddy bf was the bit about her character that the show seemed to be mishandling. but i haven't watched past that to see what s2 did with her.

• Locked thread