Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I really hope M'Baku doesn't die in Infinity War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Shageletic posted:

Killmonger was a broken man fueled by hate. Everything he said was an attempt to hide how utterly hosed he was inside. I don't see a contradiction here.

This is the truth. The scene that highlights it for me is when T'Challa straight up says his plans "will destroy the world! Destroy Wakanda!" Killmonger's response is a tear-filled "THE WORLD TOOK EVERYTHING FROM ME!" He is agreeing with T'Challa. He really does want to burn everything to the ground. All the talk of improving lives and using Wakanda to make the world better is half repeating what his father believed and half complete bullshit to get people to follow him. That's the moment that really shows what Erik Stevens truly feels in his heart. The world took everything from him, so he's going to retaliate by tearing everything to shreds. Wakandans, innocents, it doesn't matter.

Forgive me for not contributing much to the more political discussion. I can admit that I have no idea what technocratic means and I'm just here for the funnybook stuff.

Arist posted:

Don't even speak such evil into our world.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's "Magneto was right" all over again.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Arist posted:

Yeah he was one of my favorite parts of the film, reminded me a lot of Michael Clark Duncan's character in The Scorpion King, I'm the only one who remembers The Scorpion Movie as a good fun film :smith:

Arist posted:

People are skipping straight to "armed revolution by the underclasses is always a moral good" and it's weird as hell. I'm not saying revolutions can't work, or can't be justified, but saying it's literally the only way to achieve results beyond incrementalism is kinda hosed.
I think 2016 broke a lot of us in thinking everything that isn't hardcore revolution is just mere appeasement and pragmatism. (I say this as someone who became a DSA member after the 2016 election).

Also I feel like I can understand why people are so touchy about Martin Freeman's character being a heroic CIA character given the horrible history of the CIA in Africa/the whole world, but I feel its way overblown and that this movie isn't a psyop

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 21, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Open Marriage Night posted:

It's "Magneto was right" all over again.

Being sympathetic does not make a man right, I think is a distinction that often gets lost when a villain is sufficiently charismatic (see also: Loki).

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Barry Convex posted:

I tend to agree with this, but I also don’t think the film ends up clearly endorsing any solution beyond incrementalism. That’s not to say that I personally agree with the harshest leftist criticisms of the film’s ending (i.e. that T’Challa is endorsing the standard-issue technocratic liberal solution of meritocratic education as a way out of poverty and going no further), but the film ends on a deliberately ambiguous note about exactly how Wakanda is setting out to shape the broader world, and given the constraints of the shared universe in which the film is set, I think it’s reasonable to at least be skeptical about how much they’re actually going to be allowed to change the MCU status quo.
I agree that it remains to be seen how any of this will meaningfully impact the MCU going forward, but I don't actually think that T'Challa's goals moving forward are all that ambiguous. T'Challa at the end is outright pushing for outreach, philanthropy, and sharing of resources. Aid towards refugees and others in need. All the stuff that Nakia was pressing him on earlier in the film.

The whole critique that all of this is "merely" the same old standard liberal solution that's currently failing to bring about lasting change in the world is kind of ignoring the fact that all the dominant world powers are not, in fact, currently doing this. All our current world powers are only providing the most perfunctory sort of foreign aid -- and some of them aren't even doing that little -- while operating under the exact same sort of gently caress-you-got-mine isolationist policies that the old Wakanda was beholden to. And that's when they're not outright enacting Killmonger's credo of imperialist rule. So of course it isn't working, because the U.S. and U.K. and everyone else are not putting forth any earnest effort into helping each other out, all the while patting themselves on the back about how much better we are than everyone else.

Wakanda is not intended as an allegory for some magical fictive African nation far off in some secret mountain that no one can find; that's the text, not the subtext. Wakanda is an allegory for us, every first-world nation who has all the power in the world to fix things but just sits on our asses fapping about how great we are. T'Challa's stance at the end isn't for everyone to just keep on doing the exact same thing they've always been doing and oh also Wakanda will start doing the exact same (lack of) thing that you're all doing now. He's saying that everyone needs to step up their game to actually put their whole unbridled efforts into helping each other out, and that Wakanda will be doing their part to lead that charge. It is a completely unveiled, deliberate critique of our current administration and a pointed appeal against the status quo.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

BrianWilly posted:

I agree that it remains to be seen how any of this will meaningfully impact the MCU going forward, but I don't actually think that T'Challa's goals moving forward are all that ambiguous. T'Challa at the end is outright pushing for outreach, philanthropy, and sharing of resources. Aid towards refugees and others in need. All the stuff that Nakia was pressing him on earlier in the film.

The whole critique that all of this is "merely" the same old standard liberal solution that's currently failing to bring about lasting change in the world is kind of ignoring the fact that all the dominant world powers are not, in fact, currently doing this. All our current world powers are only providing the most perfunctory sort of foreign aid -- and some of them aren't even doing that little -- while operating under the exact same sort of gently caress-you-got-mine isolationist policies that the old Wakanda was beholden to. And that's when they're not outright enacting Killmonger's credo of imperialist rule. So of course it isn't working, because the U.S. and U.K. and everyone else are not putting forth any earnest effort into helping each other out, all the while patting themselves on the back about how much better we are than everyone else.

Wakanda is not intended as an allegory for some magical fictive African nation far off in some secret mountain that no one can find; that's the text, not the subtext. Wakanda is an allegory for us, every first-world nation who has all the power in the world to fix things but just sits on our asses fapping about how great we are. T'Challa's stance at the end isn't for everyone to just keep on doing the exact same thing they've always been doing and oh also Wakanda will start doing the exact same (lack of) thing that you're all doing now. He's saying that everyone needs to step up their game to actually put their whole unbridled efforts into helping each other out, and that Wakanda will be doing their part to lead that charge. It is a completely unveiled, deliberate critique of our current administration and a pointed appeal against the status quo.

I think we'd have to disagree about how progressive foreign policy really was under Clinton and Obama, as well as how anomalous the current administration really is in that regard, but the specifics of that aren't really germane to this thread, so I'll leave it at that for the moment.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't mean to bring this back up after you tried to drop it, but I think they were including the Clinton and Obama administrations in that critique, not singling out the current one.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah he was one of my favorite parts of the film, reminded me a lot of Michael Clark Duncan's character in The Scorpion King, I'm the only one who remembers The Scorpion Movie as a good fun film :smith:

You are not alone! The Scorpion King is great, dumb fun. I love it.

On the other hand, I was supposed to see Black Panther today, but came down with something and had to drop out, so that sucks.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

The movie owned but there has been one thing that I can't get out of my head since watching it Did we REALLY need back to back scenes of "Person asks question -> T'Challa gives smug smile -> Black Screen"? I know it's the smallest god drat nitpick but jesus it's annoyed the hell outta me ever since.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Arist posted:

I don't mean to bring this back up after you tried to drop it, but I think they were including the Clinton and Obama administrations in that critique, not singling out the current one.
Well I am definitely specifically singling out the current one, but I don't mean to say that things were all good groovy before now either. If they were, then there'd be no need for Wakanda to have to step up to the plate.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

This is like seeing the arrow in the FedEx logo and I think it may have ruined Killmonger for me :psyduck:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Vegeta's great, if anything that should make Killmonger better.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Killmonger wanted to conquer the world, including all the black people of the world, under the Wakandan flag. He wanted to kill a looooooot of people. He wanted to spread weapons around, not advanced medicine or infrastructure

How does giving africans laser rifles change anything for the better? It'd just make africa even more violent and hosed up. It's not like Africa needs more armed militias with ak47's laser spears running around committing atrocities

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

BrianWilly posted:

oh my god, please stop

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Why does he need to stop

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

oh my god, please stop

Dude, this is the comic book movie thread, discussing comic book movies is kinda the point.

I swear, some people won't be happy until this thread is just as shallow as GBS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Coogler wrote a thank you letter to the fans for the overwhelming reaction to BP. I often wonder what it must feel like, how gratifying it is, to make something that so many people respond to so positively.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

I think 2016 broke a lot of us in thinking everything that isn't hardcore revolution is just mere appeasement and pragmatism. (I say this as someone who became a DSA member after the 2016 election).

Also I feel like I can understand why people are so touchy about Martin Freeman's character being a heroic CIA character given the horrible history of the CIA in Africa/the whole world, but I feel its way overblown and that this movie isn't a psyop

nooooooooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nX0100wUB0&t=104s

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I really enjoyed this look at Killmonger and the parallels between him and the Black Panther Party: https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/02/black-panther-erik-killmonger/553805/

quote:

The following distinction is crucial: Black Panther does not render a verdict that violence is an unacceptable tool of black liberation—to the contrary, that is precisely how Wakanda is liberated. It renders a verdict on imperialism as a tool of black liberation, to say that the master’s tools cannot dismantle the master’s house.

Also this look at the women of Black Panther: https://www.bitchmedia.org/article/the-women-of-wakanda-are-the-real-revolutionaries

quote:

“Wakanda offers us a glimpse into the world as it could be—self-determined and developed on their own terms without the interruption of colonialism,” Nyong’o told Variety. “[It] has figured out how to make the most of all its citizens. Women are allowed to realize their full potential and that’s what Ryan [Coogler] wanted to show and he committed to having that number of women around him.”

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GLOSS posted:

The movie owned but there has been one thing that I can't get out of my head since watching it Did we REALLY need back to back scenes of "Person asks question -> T'Challa gives smug smile -> Black Screen"? I know it's the smallest god drat nitpick but jesus it's annoyed the hell outta me ever since.

Yeah the end credits scenes were super weak.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
All this debate over Killmonger really demonstrates what a great villain he was. Imagine people arguing like this about Steppenwolf.

I saw it last night in Brooklyn with a predominantly black audience and you better believe there was applause when Killmonger said the bury me at sea line.

Infinity War was already going to be the biggest blockbuster ever but I wonder if this amazing reaction to Black Panther will boost it into the loving stratosphere of box office receipts considering BP and Wakanda look to play such a huge role.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Once I thought about that line after I got out of the theater, I couldn't help but to laugh at the reaction to that line. Certainly they aren't your ancestor if they jumped from the ship.

Though I suppose it's the perfect cherry to the performance. It sounds amazing, but it's another thing that shows how wrong Erik is.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SonicRulez posted:

Once I thought about that line after I got out of the theater, I couldn't help but to laugh at the reaction to that line. Certainly they aren't your ancestor if they jumped from the ship.

Though I suppose it's the perfect cherry to the performance. It sounds amazing, but it's another thing that shows how wrong Erik is.

:ssh: People can have kids despite committing suicide.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Then it dawns on you how that's still possible.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also, you know, poetic license

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

zoux posted:

Also, you know, poetic license

Kelly continues to be the best.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CineD is cool and full of normal people.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Does this have anything to do with that fetching new red title you got? The second in less than a day?

Also if we judge subforums by a few outlier wierdos, I'm sad to say this place wouldn't come off much better.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

McCloud posted:

Does this have anything to do with that fetching new red title you got? The second in less than a day?

Also if we judge subforums by a few outlier wierdos, I'm sad to say this place wouldn't come off much better.

Well, you do post in both subforums. :agesilaus:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, it has more to do with how much the conversation is dominated by crazy people than how many of them there technically are.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

There are parts of CineD that are really great, the Horror Thread for one. But any discussion of a comic book films, especially any criticism of the films that should not be named will have a hundred furious nerds descend upon you demanding you debate them.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Roth posted:

Well, you do post in both subforums. :agesilaus:

Oh... Oh no.

I also post in the Trump thread in D&D

:negative:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

McCloud posted:

Oh... Oh no.

The unholy trinity...

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

McCloud posted:

Oh... Oh no.

Time to finally change that avatar.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Karloff posted:

There are parts of CineD that are really great, the Horror Thread for one. But any discussion of a comic book films, especially any criticism of the films that should not be named will have a hundred furious nerds descend upon you demanding you debate them.

the single most toxic member of the CineD Pretentious Pseudo-Intellectual Bullshit to Explain Why Any Criticism of MoS/BVS and Any Praise of Marvel Studios Films Is Objectively Wrong and Invalid cult just got probated for endorsing Armond White's attack on high school shooting survivors as crisis actors, lmao

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SonicRulez posted:

Or you, know, Erik may have been talking metaphorically, especially considering how slaves were literally ripped from their homelands and heritage. He probably wasn't talking about his literal direct ancestors.

Post-credit chat: That was a French representative who asked 'what can Wakanda offer the world?' :smug:, right? I'm guessing that was a deliberate choice, considering France's relationship with its former colonies.

Edit:

Barry Convex posted:

the single most toxic member of the CineD Pretentious Pseudo-Intellectual Bullshit to Explain Why Any Criticism of MoS/BVS and Any Praise of Marvel Studios Films Is Objectively Wrong and Invalid cult just got probated for endorsing Armond White's attack on high school shooting survivors as crisis actors, lmao
Wait, what the gently caress?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Barry Convex posted:

White nerd dudes that think they're above other white nerd dudes truly are the worst.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Or you, know, Erik may have been talking metaphorically, especially considering how slaves were literally ripped from their homelands and heritage. He probably wasn't talking about his literal direct ancestors.

Post-credit chat: That was a French representative who asked 'what can Wakanda offer the world?' :smug:, right? I'm guessing that was a deliberate choice, considering France's relationship with its former colonies.

Edit:

Wait, what the gently caress?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

How is cynicism towards the news industry’s narrativization of the shooting, and America’s bullshit gun control debate, incorrect?

White is unambiguously arguing that the children are being exploited. Which, y’know, they are.

It’s not a defense; he’s not insulting the children.

He did not say they are crisis actors. He’s specifically written that they are children - and, since children are typically not good at understanding the media, they are perhaps inherently being manipulated.

White is making a reference to the conspiracy theory, but is not indulging in it. It’s along the lines of calling Hillary Clinton a reptilian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Barry Convex posted:

I know forum derails can get wild sometimes but how do you go from the biannual griping about MCU films to that? :psyduck:

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 21, 2018

• Locked thread