Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Wow Black Diablos was not fun! Tied with Lavathioth for my least favorite monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Lavasioth got a lot easier when I learned the trick about slinger torches

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
There is nothing in this game I love more than when I get a Gajalaka assist guy spawned on the map. They spawn in the same places as the Grimalkyne who net the monster when you mount it, except they activate when the monster simply goes near them. They knock it over and proceed to blow the poo poo out of it with rockets, it is loving amazing. Puts a big fat grin on my face every time it happens.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Night Blade posted:

Paolumu: "I need to stop fantasizing about Lee Majors... ... ... ... well, maybe one more."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDWU67tyknU

I knew that dog was up to some godmode poo poo. In that same exact area, I was climbing the wall once to chase after Legiana or something, when that fuckin' dog shows up and tackles me off the wall from the very top.

RBA Starblade posted:

-Elderseal does nothing. At all. 200 hits and nothing happened or stopped happening.

I'm pretty much done with caring about bringing an Elderseal weapon to elder dragon fights. For weeks I would opt for a slightly inferior weapon choice with high Elderseal against stuff like tempered Vaal and Teostra, just to try and help prevent the nasty stuff, and it just does nothing. Vaal still oozing his poo poo, Teostra still suicide bombing.

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 21, 2018

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Don't ask how long it took me to make this.

https://my.mixtape.moe/jjoucm.webm

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Excellent :allears:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't bring a Dragon weapon for Elderseal, I bring it because Elder Dragons are all weak to it and because the one Dragon-element line people recommend, the Nerg line, has drat good raw on top of it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Good.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:bisonyes:

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I decided to farm up some Kirin, but I didn't want to deal with his bullshit so I made this set I call The Kirinator:

-Weapon: Earthshaker Magda Lahat (Zorah Gunlance)
-Head: Uragaan Helm Beta (2x Thunder Res Jewel)
-Chest: Damascus Mail Beta (3x Grinder Jewel)
-Hands: Uragaan Vambraces Beta (1x Sharp Jewel)
-Waist: Damascus Coil Beta (3x Defense Jewel)
-Feet: Uragaan Greaves Alpha (1x Defense Jewel)
-Charm: Artillery Charm III
-Equipment: Immunity Mantle, Thunderproof Mantle

Gives me a cool 433 Defense and 26 Thunder Res, before food, and I haven't finished upgrading the armor yet. Guard +3, Guard Up, Thunder Res 3, Defense 4, Focus 3, Artillery 3, Speed Sharpening 3, and Protective Polish.

Easy set to make and easy decorations, aside from the Sharp Jewel which you don't need. You could easily swap in Stun or Para immunity (or both) as well, if you felt the need. The sharpening stuff is just QoL, it's unnecessary really, since you are doing most of your damage with charged shelling.

It blows the poo poo out of Kirin and it is hilarious. Charged shells do 120 damage to him and he does NOT have much hp. You don't care about his armor and you don't care about anything he does. I love it. Easiest farm of my life.

Best part is you can color the Damascus stuff gold and it all matches perfectly. Fashion and function!

enojy posted:

I'm pretty much done with caring about bringing an Elderseal weapon to elder dragon fights. For weeks I would opt for a slightly inferior weapon choice with high Elderseal against stuff like tempered Vaal and Teostra, just to try and help prevent the nasty stuff, and it just does nothing. Vaal still oozing his poo poo, Teostra still suicide bombing.

The way Elderseal works is it is a status, just like any other. You build it up and then it procs and when it procs it does poo poo. You can tell it has gone off because the monster will flinch. What it does when it procs varies by elder dragon, it will remove Vaal's effluvia coat, shatter Nerg's spines, etc. The thing is, they seem to be able to reactivate the thing pretty much right away, usually by going into rage mode. That's why it's hard to notice. It's basically just a nice thing to have but not really something to focus on.

The thing is, Elderseal tends to show up on weapons that are already good against elder dragons. In particular the Nergigante and Vaal Hazak lines are super good vs basically all the elder dragons (with the exception of Kirin, although they still work fine). If you prefer a different weapon though, don't sweat it too much.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 21, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

knew exactly what this was going to be before i even saw most of the preview frame, let alone clicked play

(still funny)

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Took down tempered Kirin. Lightning resist 3 and a thunder mantle worked like a charm. Didn’t cart at all. Feels good man

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

This drove me nuts for a while. It's your palico tooting his coral horn at camp.

Can I make the little furball stop?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

Can I make the little furball stop?

Swap to a different tool.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Fool! Palico toots as he pleases!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Xarbala posted:

Swap to a different tool.

But I use the flashbug cage? I guess the weird sound I hear is coming from something else.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah, that's definitely not the cat but while we're here

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

AttackBacon posted:

The way Elderseal works is it is a status, just like any other. You build it up and then it procs and when it procs it does poo poo. You can tell it has gone off because the monster will flinch. What it does when it procs varies by elder dragon, it will remove Vaal's effluvia coat, shatter Nerg's spines, etc. The thing is, they seem to be able to reactivate the thing pretty much right away, usually by going into rage mode. That's why it's hard to notice. It's basically just a nice thing to have but not really something to focus on.

The thing is, Elderseal tends to show up on weapons that are already good against elder dragons. In particular the Nergigante and Vaal Hazak lines are super good vs basically all the elder dragons (with the exception of Kirin, although they still work fine). If you prefer a different weapon though, don't sweat it too much.

Ahh, okay, thanks for clearing that up. The word "seal" had me misled. I was under the impression that you attack enough and build up enough of the effect, and it "seals" away the bullshit attacks/status that the elder dragons do.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There does seem to be a sort of high pitched tone when a nearby interactable gets highlighted, which is similar to the sound wedge beetles make, which is also similar to the sound of chat/notification messages coming in, but I'm not sure I'd describe that as a buzz unless your speakers sound incredibly different from mine

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's more of a little bing than a buzz

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The sound in this game is hosed up randomly at times. One night I looked at my guild card and kinda fell asleep with it up. When I woke back up I closed the menu and the wind sfx in the village was blaring and all the npcs talked in inaudible whispers.

Sometimes when I put my hammer away (no other weapon) it makes this painfully loud GA-CHUNK noise as if the hunter is stabbing himself with it somehow. It's super jarring.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

homeless snail posted:

The thing that elderseal seems to do is take elders out of their super powered state. So like when Kirin get super armor, or Teostra is ready to supernova, or Vaal is full of fart gas, or Xeno's arms are buff, hitting them with enough elderseal brings them out of that state before they can do their ultimate attack. Problem is it doesn't seem to prevent them from entering that state in the first place, it only works if they're already in it and when Daora is charged up its in the air and you aren't going to be hitting it. So poison is a lot better in that case

Also, all of those monsters drop dragon pods anyway and those seem to do as much or more elderseal than elderseal weapons so idk don't worry about it

So is it better to save the dragon pods till they enter/are about to enter the super state or does using the pod delay getting to the super state?

The game generally gives you new elemental gear right before you need it, so I took my shiny new low raw/decent dragon element weapon with low elderseal to the first Kirin fight. I killed it with 5 mins left because I wasn't doing much damage, turns out Kirin has 1 star weakness to dragon. Looking forward to going back with a high pure raw or high raw plus poison charge blade - Dear Lutemis has been my favorite weapon so far at HR 7 or so onwards, it poisons everything and has goof damage plus power phials to KO with.

Double carted for the first time in that fight, wasn't used to looking at the ground for warning but also because it turns out a shieldspire palico will break off after taunting and run right up next to you as you put in space to sharpen or heal. Kirin will then happily target the two of you.

Unrelated, how does the red damage portion of your health bar work? I know some of the damage you take immediately shortens your health, but does a fraction of every hit show up as red damage that then regenerates over time? Do you cart if only red health is left? I think the latter is true because I carted to Odogaron from being bled when having a lot of red health and little green health left - the bleed probably ate up the remaining green, carting me almost immediately.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
After 100+ hours with dual blades I want to branch out into some new weapons, and of everything, the two that leap out at me as something I might like are Long Sword and HBG. Which high-end ones should I craft towards to try out?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

v1ld posted:

Unrelated, how does the red damage portion of your health bar work? I know some of the damage you take immediately shortens your health, but does a fraction of every hit show up as red damage that then regenerates over time? Do you cart if only red health is left? I think the latter is true because I carted to Odogaron from being bled when having a lot of red health and little green health left - the bleed probably ate up the remaining green, carting me almost immediately.

It operates on fighting game rules, the red health is gone but can be regenerated with time, or instantly healed with Jerky (which activates with a single bite, much faster than potions). Jerky incidentally also cures bleeding. So does crouching for three seconds with your weapon sheathed.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDAAAAA

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

v1ld posted:

So is it better to save the dragon pods till they enter/are about to enter the super state or does using the pod delay getting to the super state?
Use it when they're in the super state. After you hit them with a few you'll see them flinch and visibly power down. I'm going on gut feeling here I don't know how it works for sure, but I don't think elderseal delays them from entering the state at all, its reactive not proactive.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of interactable objects, I think it would be interesting to have an option to just straight up turn off the scoutflies. The way everything near you starts glowing is very videogame-y and I think it would be interesting to see how well the game works without it. The scratches and footprints and everything is there in the game world but you almost never get to see how it actually looks because the game will give you a big glowing HERE IS THE THING before you're given a chance to see it yourself. Whether I (or anyone else) would actually end up using that option is another matter, but at any rate I think it would be neat to have the option.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The sound in this game is hosed up randomly at times. One night I looked at my guild card and kinda fell asleep with it up. When I woke back up I closed the menu and the wind sfx in the village was blaring and all the npcs talked in inaudible whispers.

Sometimes when I put my hammer away (no other weapon) it makes this painfully loud GA-CHUNK noise as if the hunter is stabbing himself with it somehow. It's super jarring.

I had to rip the headphones off my head during one fight because the vitality mantle made a REALLY loud 'pop' when I got hit instead of the proper sound effect, like easily twice as loud as everything else in the game. My ears were ringing for a couple of minutes, needless to say that was pretty unpleasant :gonk:

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

So one day past beating story mode and my next assigned mission is 2 tempered beetlejuices. It's hard, but not annoying like xeno'jsbfsdffggsdfg. Incidentally, I went and did some SOS helper stuff for xeno'fhqwhgads and had a much better time backing up other poor schmucks... Maybe that's what I was meant for all along; not the leading man, but the supporting role.

Also, it seems like the real final boss is the elder melder.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Xarbala posted:

It operates on fighting game rules, the red health is gone but can be regenerated with time, or instantly healed with Jerky (which activates with a single bite, much faster than potions). Jerky incidentally also cures bleeding. So does crouching for three seconds with your weapon sheathed.

Interesting, thanks. It was only after 40 hours or so I noticed that all damage isn't red - I'd assumed that red was the damage done by the last attack. But some attacks both shortened your bar and left you some red, easiest to notice when hit once at full health. I knew about jerky, but it's potentially even more useful now I understand how damage and health work.

Does the proportion of red damage to instant, non-regen damage change based on attack or monster? I.e., are there monsters where having jerky is more useful even if you ignore its bleed healing, because they tend to do a higher proportion of red damage that can be quickly healed?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
What are the supposed Argosy-only items?
Also, just tried gunlance yesterday and I'd like some pointers on it. It seems insanely fun when played well.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I had to rip the headphones off my head during one fight because the vitality mantle made a REALLY loud 'pop' when I got hit instead of the proper sound effect, like easily twice as loud as everything else in the game. My ears were ringing for a couple of minutes, needless to say that was pretty unpleasant :gonk:
The rocksteady mantle makes a godawful sound, also, like pots and pans every time you get hit

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Now take the vitality or rocksteady mantle into a vaal hazak hunt and make yourself suicidal

Or do what I learned to do after like 15 hours and just... just equip immunity mantle and cleanser booster

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The account items that reference previous MH hubs. Only good for cash, but even then it's a bad investment given how many points Argosy items cost.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I have tried the lbg

it's weird imo

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I just got to high rank (only took me like 35 hours :c00lbutt:) and uh, it's weird in this game. You don't get high rank quests and instead gotta do high rank expeditions and kill high rank monsters to unlock optional (HR) quests for that monster?

There's nothing stopping me from fighting and getting, say, Rathian equipment for my first high rank set is there? Is there any reason to bother with the babby monsters like Jagras?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Your Computer posted:

So I just got to high rank (only took me like 35 hours :c00lbutt:) and uh, it's weird in this game. You don't get high rank quests and instead gotta do high rank expeditions and kill high rank monsters to unlock optional (HR) quests for that monster?

There's nothing stopping me from fighting and getting, say, Rathian equipment for my first high rank set is there? Is there any reason to bother with the babby monsters like Jagras?
You just need to see the HR monster in either HR quests or expeditions in order to get the HR quest for them, you don't need to actually kill the monster IIRC. It should be pretty easy to see everyone if you do the main quest storyline, since one of the main storyline quests forces you to hunt around in expeditions anyway.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks to those pointing out the capture rewards list includes the carves list. Beating up Anjies face in hunts wasn't dropping fangs but they're coming through in captures though listed under carves.

Some items will only show up when you use a token of some sort, though there too a capture probably gets you more. I've had these show up reliably every time I've used the token. For eg, the water sac is a token-only drop, but seems guaranteed when it is used

v1ld fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 21, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tekopo posted:

You just need to see the HR monster in either HR quests or expeditions in order to get the HR quest for them, you don't need to actually kill the monster IIRC. It should be pretty easy to see everyone if you do the main quest storyline, since one of the main storyline quests forces you to hunt around in expeditions anyway.
Yeah I noticed that after posting. Still, it feels so weird to gain access to so many monsters immediately. I'm guessing they still follow a bit of a hierarchy in terms of health and damage, though? I can't imagine all the high rank versions are tuned to be fought with low rank gear.

Cool that it's possible though, I'm just not used to this freedom. With so many monsters available, what high rank armor and weapons do I go for first? :confuoot:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Also, just tried gunlance yesterday and I'd like some pointers on it. It seems insanely fun when played well.

I'm no GL expert, but I've been using it a fair bit and it's really satisfying when you have a good fight. Stay close to the monster and hit it a lot. I usually block more than dodging with it. The upward thrust, slam down, discharge shells is your bread and butter, so lance with more shells is often best. If the monsters acting out, you can stay relative safe by blocking and poking at it from behind the shield. I'm sure someone else has more tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
So what do you do with the stuff Bandit Mantles drop?