Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

fartzone_42069 posted:

So are you saying, to live monitor, my drum brain would need another MIDI cable going MIDI In? :ohdear: The Behringer has two ports, a MIDI In and MIDI Out. So, am I boned, barring I get a new drum brain that has MIDI In and Out?
Not boned. Just ignore the Behringer's midi out port since you've got nothing to connect it to.

A. drum pads --> midi --> midi track --> software instrument --> drum sounds --> headphones

In this scenario we ignore the sounds the drum brain produces and monitor the sound the software instrument produces.

B. drum pads --> midi --> midi track AND drum brain --> drum sounds --> audio track --> drum sounds --> headphones

In this scenario we have an audio track just for the purpose of monitoring the sound the drum brain produces while we're recording the midi notes. For some reason. We will point the midi notes we recorded to a software instrument later.

Scenario B allows you to record the sound of the drum brain as well, but then you could do that before all this as well. If the point was to specifically use sounds the drum brain produces, well, nothing was gained by the venture into midi, because the drum brain doesn't have a midi in.

The good news is that scenario A makes a lot of sense and is what anyone in your position, looking to expand their sound palette and editing possibilities should be looking at anyway.

So, yeah, the Windows 10 drivers is what I mean by the ASIO drivers, so they are installed and are what's showing in that screenshot.

I think you have to go to the basics and load an existing audio file onto an audio track and see if with either of UMC asio driver out 1 or 3 you can get that to play in your headphones. If that doesn't work, something really isn't working as it should. Feel free to try out whatever's under wasapi as well. We want either of these driver modes specifically in order to get very low latency. Anything else that works otherwise won't get us there.

I see the word metronome in that config panel (down left in project settings); maybe it has a separate audio output setting for just that there, which could explain it not being heard whenever you succeed in getting other sound coming out. Take a peek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

First of all, I really appreciate your patience. And your help. I know I'm not explaining well, and am generally a silly person.

You've helped a lot so far. I switched the Output from the Behringer to Cakewalk TTS1-1, it's the only other option besides Drum Map Manager.

I get sound, and created MIDI events when recording. With latency though. :ohdear: And I definitely checked first to make sure the metronome wasn't set to a different/non-functional output. These are my options. All yield nothing, including setting as MIDI note.

Basically, if I want to do this latency-free, headphones with project metronome monitoring, I need a drum brain that has a MIDI In, not just a MIDI Out?

Going with Scenario A by the way. :)

Also my computer has 12 gigs of RAM and like a shitload of processors so I don't think latency should be an issue.

e: I should mention, I was able to do this on my friend's Apple with Garage Band and his interface, headphone monitoring and all. Same drums, with just the Midi Out. I may just have to sink money into an Apple if I want to actually do music on my own...

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 4, 2018

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Set the metronome to audio metronome/master, this will prevent the metronome not sounding from being a separate issue. That's the safe setting. If it's not working, then I haven't got a clue where else to look. Worst case you create another midi or audio track with your own metronome sound on it.

fartzone_42069 posted:

I switched the Output from the Behringer to Cakewalk TTS1-1, it's the only other option besides Drum Map Manager.
So TTS1 is the built in soft synth of Cakewalk. That should be good for starters. Particularly if you can make it make sound.

fartzone_42069 posted:

Basically, if I want to do this latency-free, headphones with project metronome monitoring, I need a drum brain that has a MIDI In, not just a MIDI Out?
That still wouldn't offer you a true latency free option without additional hardware to get the metronome included. What we're shooting for is a low latency option where the latency is so low it doesn't bother you because you legitimately shouldn't be able to notice it. On paper, for scenario A, this is achievable with what you've got.

For scenario A, the only job the drum brain has to do is translate pad triggers into midi information and send it out to your computer. We're not interested in the sounds it can produce in any way. For that a midi out only is enough.

The point I think we're at is that you go back to preferences - audio - devices, click the asio panel button, go to buffer settings and set the asio buffer size to the lowest number available. Ok those settings and test by playing something on the pads. Latency should be a lot better now. If sound is crackling or breaking up, the computer can't keep up and you'll have to go back to the asio panel and try a slightly higher buffer size, until you find a setting that works. Ideally this isn't necessary though. The best setting may vary on how heavy your particular project is on the computer's cpu, so you may have to visit that panel again in the future. I expect you probably can keep the buffer size at 256 samples or below and be good for latencies lower than 10ms.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Whoa! Yay! So that's working pretty well now! Unfortunately Snap to Grid poo poo the bed awhile ago on my Cakewalk, done all the settings there too. How I've always made music was click the notes on the staff, adjust as necessary. I got really fast at that. That was the old Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. This new poo poo sucks for doing it from scratch.

So, if I want a metronome, I'm gonna have to do the workarounds like you mentioned... So, maybe, talk me out of buying a Mac Mini with GB?? That seems a better purchase than a new elec drum brain.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Well you're sort of dead-ended in that very limited Music Creator edition. With Gibson killing off Sonar, your experience with this Cakewalk product doesn't even allow you to naturally carry over what you've learned to a full-fledged DAW. It's not crazy to limit investing in getting this working right sooner than later, even though I'm sure snap-to or quantize settings could be figured out eventually, with enough effort.

You've got a good reason to prefer Garageband, which is that you've got a friend that can help you out with it. That is a no poo poo good argument for buying some Apple product to give you access to that. If money is no object, sure, why the hell not.

On the other hand it would cost you nothing to give the Reaper trial a shot for a while. It's not the most intuitive software, but it's powerful and there is a lot of stuff on Youtube of how to do the basics in it. There are also people in some of the threads here in the Musician's Lounge that actually use it. It doesn't have drum kit sounds included afaik, so that would mean figuring out vst plugins first thing. It really depends on how confident you are starting again from scratch on something that too will be nothing like your old Cakewalk Pro and doesn't do staff music notation either.

As was mentioned somewhere before, there is very capable music notation software that has DAW-like capabilities tacked on to it for Windows. Conceptually, I think they would be a good fit for you. In theory. But a license would probably cost a couple of hundred bucks on its own and it'd be hard to find other people familiar with them as they are a niche product.

Again, I don't think a new drum brain will get you where you want. I'd be more confident in the Reaper recommendation if you had taken as a duck to water to the modern paradigm of a DAW, mostly present in Cakewalk Music Creator, so far. No offense. Talk you out of a Mac mini? I don't know. It's costly and it feels very wrong telling you to bypass a perfectly good computer you already own. Otherwise it doesn't seem to have a lot going against it.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

I really appreciate it. I'm definitely not well versed in recording. No offense at all! I always used to just make as many MIDI tracks as I wanted in Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, and quickly use only the mouse to manually click in every note from scratch. I got fast, even with complex rhythms and note lengths. Doing that in Cakewalk MC, and even the, eh, "trial" version of Sonar on my old computer, the new stuff makes what I want to do clunky. My poo poo will quantize fine after I click the notes in, but with Snap to, Snap by, and every other setting, NOTHING makes it snap into 16th notes anymore when clicking in. Just thave to do a measure, Quantize, copy paste as needed, Quantize, measure, Quantize.

I would "compose" my drum parts on the music staff. Now that takes forever, so any recent project has super simple drums. One big reason for trying to set this stuff up.

I REALLY appreciate your time. I understand the concepts of all of this, but the application and execution ain't there.

I realize this probably feels like herding cats to you. Any time you want me to gently caress off and figure it out myself, let me know!

Got some some stuff to today, but I should have time, in a bit, to press more buttons and stuff. Slap at the equipment Zoolander style, etc...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

fartzone_42069 posted:

My poo poo will quantize fine after I click the notes in, but with Snap to, Snap by, and every other setting, NOTHING makes it snap into 16th notes anymore when clicking in. Just thave to do a measure, Quantize, copy paste as needed, Quantize, measure, Quantize.

Will this help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bVULpDhVgU

At the bottom of the piano roll in Reaper's piano roll editor, you can adjust the grid spacing. I know Logic has a similar function. I realize you're dealing with Cakewalk's stuff, but I do believe you should be able to get what you want done in Reaper. I'm traditionally a Logic user, but I have to admit that I've fallen in love with Reaper strictly on its customization and flexibility.

EDIT: Oh, drat, I just realized this was the Audio Interface thread, and not the Home Recording one. Ah well. :shobon:

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Will this help?

EDIT: Oh, drat, I just realized this was the Audio Interface thread, and not the Home Recording one. Ah well. :shobon:

All the same to me. Even if I'm not using Cakewalk anymore I still learned a shitload in the last page or so.

Got the 8GB ram Mac Mini. Just plugged poo poo up, and GarageBand is like, functional! I knew it would be, I just wasn't sure about paying for an Apple.

Now we have post-breakup studio at the parents... Yay!!... :smith:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Honestly, I'd suggest going for a DAW like Cubase or Ableton with a started package and just jump right into it. Everything else including interface and syncing with DAW and your instruments come afterwards. They had simpler versions of their interfaces if you just want to do your drum samples, make it a loop and do whatever to compliment it.

Also, you can choose the Mac or Win versions of your download when you purchase. Couple of cheap keys out there on Ebay too. Most MIDI-friendly Drum sets sync well with these.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Makes sense. I've used Cakewalk Sonar (a "trial" version), on an old PC to basically record MIDI into audio and then apply the effects, mix it and whatnot, and call it a day. But my only real studio experience comes from being a drummer and just being told to not hit the mics when I play. Then I let the experts do their magic, with their myriad of fancy knobs of spaceship console lights and whatnot.

But now I'm in a 55+ community with my parents ready to make some really lovely music. Just the new MIDI sounds available are flooring me. I've been hearing all my compositions with the same sounds, and now all the sudden it's a whole new world of sound, on pieces that sound like meth-fueled nu metal inspired video game music. It's really loving exciting! I guess what I'm saying is GarageBand is plenty.

My mode of operation had always been
-Make MIDI tracks in Cakewalk Pro Audio 9
-Use music staffs to click in notes. I got spergy fast at right clicking notes and quickly copying and pasting and editing as needed. Basically making music, albeit lovely music, from scratch. No keyboard, no guitar no nothing. Just a mouse. And keyboard to quickly type in the mathematical values of how long i wanted the note to last, like 3:720 or some poo poo...

Then computers started breaking and increasingly oppressive-to-Luddites versions of Windows kept coming out and I refused to switch to Apple.

Now I'm super excited about composing music in GarageBand. I have a MIDI piano, but not much in piano skill (one way to learn!). It's going to be easy to plug my guitar in and play my signature lovely Drop D stuff.

Sorry for the long lovely post. I'm excited about making more lovely music with larger more expansive sounds to be as ever-lovely as ever!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Honestly, I'd suggest going for a DAW like Cubase or Ableton with a started package and just jump right into it. Everything else including interface and syncing with DAW and your instruments come afterwards. They had simpler versions of their interfaces if you just want to do your drum samples, make it a loop and do whatever to compliment it.

Also, you can choose the Mac or Win versions of your download when you purchase. Couple of cheap keys out there on Ebay too. Most MIDI-friendly Drum sets sync well with these.

Seeing as though you're already using GarageBand, fartzone, I'd recommend (when you're ready) upgrading to Logic Pro X, which is the 'professional' version of GB. Comes with an insane amount of content, too. Alchemy alone is worth the price.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Seeing as though you're already using GarageBand, fartzone, I'd recommend (when you're ready) upgrading to Logic Pro X, which is the 'professional' version of GB. Comes with an insane amount of content, too. Alchemy alone is worth the price.

Yeah I was going to say exactly that. Logic Pro X is insane value for money, and is about as cheap as you can go for a DAW that's considered an industry standard.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I was going to say exactly that. Logic Pro X is insane value for money, and is about as cheap as you can go for a DAW that's considered an industry standard.

Not to mention that it'll open up absolutely every GB project you can throw at it, since they're the same under the hood.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Thanks. I'll definitely look at upgrading down the road. But playing real, acoustic drums to songs friends who are songwriters actually write is what I really do.

That electronic drum set is fully functional, but a cheap portable set. This is basically for fun. I need to get good at the basics of using a Mac. I've got playing drums to either audio or midi with that evil clicky sound (metronome??) down. I need some basic keyboard skills, as well as figure out a way to manually add midi notes to the Score, and generally get used to the Mac OS. I'm a PC/Android guy!!

Also, the electronics in my cheap Ibanez electric guitar are all hosed. And my bass got stolen. Kinda wanna rectify those things. Kind of excited to plug the guitar directly in with the cool sounds. It works, I just have to jiggle the input jack and the toggley switch for the pickups to get sound. Wrong thread though. I'll ask my guitar playing friends if I should buy a new cheapo guitar or get mine fixed!

Thanks for your help all!! :)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It's good to know you got to a point where you can have fun with it!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

fartzone_42069 posted:

Thanks. I'll definitely look at upgrading down the road. But playing real, acoustic drums to songs friends who are songwriters actually write is what I really do.

That electronic drum set is fully functional, but a cheap portable set. This is basically for fun. I need to get good at the basics of using a Mac. I've got playing drums to either audio or midi with that evil clicky sound (metronome??) down. I need some basic keyboard skills, as well as figure out a way to manually add midi notes to the Score, and generally get used to the Mac OS. I'm a PC/Android guy!!

Also, the electronics in my cheap Ibanez electric guitar are all hosed. And my bass got stolen. Kinda wanna rectify those things. Kind of excited to plug the guitar directly in with the cool sounds. It works, I just have to jiggle the input jack and the toggley switch for the pickups to get sound. Wrong thread though. I'll ask my guitar playing friends if I should buy a new cheapo guitar or get mine fixed!

Thanks for your help all!! :)

One more thing I should mention: it's not a drum kit, but my god, I've gotten an insane amount of mileage out of my Korg Padkontrol. The thing is just so user friendly and awesome. Pair it with a good percussion sampler like Battery, Addictive Drums (what I use), Superior Drummer, etc, and you're all set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5s6Cwm6Tt4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnSRWk_o87g

EDIT: Anyway, the best place to discuss all of this, for the sake of keeping the thread on-topic, is here -> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2292898

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 5, 2018

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

That's all great stuff. Not knocking anyone. But, drums are my art and craft. I'll be damned if I use any kind of drum loops unless I record them myself with my drums, or compose them myself with the MIDI. Sheet music, son! I love that Garage Band was the score.

For what's it's worth, I think the drum samples, loops, and fills and stuff that I've heard with Garage Band and other DAWs sound great, and are an excellent tool to help a non-drummer (real musician) write a song. But I'm the drummer, I do the drumming round here. :)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

fartzone_42069 posted:

That's all great stuff. Not knocking anyone. But, drums are my art and craft. I'll be damned if I use any kind of drum loops unless I record them myself with my drums, or compose them myself with the MIDI. Sheet music, son! I love that Garage Band was the score.

For what's it's worth, I think the drum samples, loops, and fills and stuff that I've heard with Garage Band and other DAWs sound great, and are an excellent tool to help a non-drummer (real musician) write a song. But I'm the drummer, I do the drumming round here. :)

Oh, I know; the padkontrol isn't a looper or anything, and those plugins I mentioned aren't loops. You're literally playing the MIDI performance into your DAW, exactly like how a keyboardist would use a MIDI keyboard to play a song with a piano plugin. Obviously, for a drummer, it's not nearly the same as using actual MIDI drums, but at least for me, it beats (:smug:) the hell out of penciling in the hits into the piano roll, note by note. To each their own, though, but I absolutely agree with you on drum loops. I write my own, for the most part, unless I'm really pressed for time, and I use the padkontrol to 'play' the performance into the track. :shobon:

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

I gotcha. I appreciate the input. I'm sure once I get used to the basics and have a basic routine for recording an idea before I forget it, I'll scroll back through these posts to expand my pallette. I'm just now graduating from only manually adding MIDI notes in the music staffs, to having actual audio equipment. Baby steps!

But everything I'm reading here is helping me see the big picture of how it all works. I've been recorded plenty, in DIY and real studios, but all I've done there is not touch the fancy equipment and not smack the expensive drum mics when playing. :ohdear:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well you're in for the exact opposite of a treat when you get a real studio going, because recording and mixing acoustic drums is the biggest pain in the loving rear end of any instrument ever. So you've got that to look forward to.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

Well you're in for the exact opposite of a treat when you get a real studio going, because recording and mixing acoustic drums is the biggest pain in the loving rear end of any instrument ever. So you've got that to look forward to.

Oh I already know, haha. :smith: My friend has everything set up in our spot and he does the guitar playing, and most importantly the recording! A pretty drat solid drum sound and sound overall, especially for a giant basement/warehouse/utility/whatever room at our mutual friend's farm house. I get to play drums, then help our friend make bottle openers and poo poo out of something like a railroad spike and a butane fire forge. It's cool! :)

e: Setup and sound check and whatnot, especially when we're paying money at a real studio, takes for loving ever, but I 100% understand why.

I'm like a decently well versed musician (especially for a drummer), but recording has never really been in my wheelhouse. Till now.

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 5, 2018

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Right on. Recording is a completely other skill. It's finicky and obsessive and experimental and hacky and I absolutely love it.

Honestly one of the best things I figured out early on when I was on a much smaller budget was to start from one good mic (or stereo pair) on the whole kit and see what needs supplementing, rather than go from the assumption that everything needs its own mic. One GOOD mic on a drum set can sound way nicer than ten lovely ones, particularly if you've got a decent sounding room. Even when I do have ten channels on the drums, I usually start mixing from the room mics and supplement from there. Often I do end up using a bit of everything, but there are times (particularly when you want a bit of a raw punk rock sound) where I find I like using just the two room mics and maybe some kick.

Another fun low budget trick for drums that I learned from Tape Op (oh yeah, loving subscribe to Tape Op, it's the best recording magazine around and it's FREE) that works in some special situations when you are recording in a house or something is to have one (or a few) mics on the drums and another one in an entirely different room. Get your close-up mics sounding right and then basically treat your faraway mic as a reverb send - just bring up a little bit of it to make things sound roomy. It sounds like a recipe for absolute garbage but it actually comes out sounding way nicer than you'd think sometimes. Example at about 2:30 in this song:

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/so-much-better

That's only two cheapo small diaphragm condenser mics; one in the bedroom with the kit and one about thirty feet away down a long hall in the living room. That song's about 15 years old back when I had ghetto gear but it's the first one I could think of where I was using that trick.

Oh another fun trick I came up with myself for that track: if you happen to have a car, and have a garage with a door that leads into the house, you already have a kickass iso booth. Run a boom mic through a barely-cracked car window, chuck a pillow or two up on the dash, and you've got something better than just about any other home iso booth you're going to build. It's essentially a ready-made floated room.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh another fun trick I came up with myself for that track: if you happen to have a car, and have a garage with a door that leads into the house, you already have a kickass iso booth. Run a boom mic through a barely-cracked car window, chuck a pillow or two up on the dash, and you've got something better than just about any other home iso booth you're going to build. It's essentially a ready-made floated room.

I have to agree with this; cars in garages are insanely quiet for recording. It's incredible.

Also, I genuinely miss editing 8+ grouped drum tracks, but I can't disagree that working with MIDI is far easier.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I have to agree with this; cars in garages are insanely quiet for recording. It's incredible.

I figured I couldn't be the only person who came up with that, but I was drat proud of myself when I did.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

I figured I couldn't be the only person who came up with that, but I was drat proud of myself when I did.

I've used it for a few voice overs I've done. I noticed how quiet it was once when I was on my phone before going to work and my low-grade tinnitus became SUPER noticeable. Turns out, when there's just no sound anywhere, something like that is so loud it feels like it's deafening.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Hell yeah! Thanks again for the help! You guys are light years ahead of me! But your advice is very useful to me, and drat clever. "No hon! Not committing suicide! Just finishing up some harmonies!.." I like you guys. :)

But yeah, light years ahead of me. I'm a drummer who does what he does. That means other people write the songs and I do my best to make it not suck on drums. And they always have the fancy recording equipment or we go to the studio, and I just do what I'm supposed to do. I always wanted to ask a lot of questions. But when you're a mediocre band self-funding a 7in and not booking a lot of time, there's less time for talk.

But getting into audio interfacing/computer sounding is something I've always wanted to do, because I've been composing MIDI pieces from scratch since I was about 14, and it's fun and therapeutic to compose my own stuff. I can't say I've created the world's greatest music, but there is nothing like it. And hearing my old poo poo from my teens years to new stuff now with so many more expansive sound options is really, really drat nice.

But I'm getting older and stuff and so are other people (I'm 33) so there's less time, busier lives, families, kids, bullshit, etc. but all my musician friends from old bands and whatnot generally have Apple products and I've realized how easy it is to send my friends drum parts to help solidify poo poo we jammed on or worked with.

For example, I SUCK at guitar. However, I came up with a cool riff and some neat chords to go with it. Because I bought a new loving guitar today. Because why the gently caress not? So I recorded it in GB. Now I can just send a guitarist friend that riff and we can use it if we want. Or I can record drums and then do the riff so the actual musician friend knows the feel I'm going for and whatnot. But the important thing, there's no merging of file types and compatibility bullshit. Apple's iconic 1984 commercial needs only one letter switched now (ironic), especially considering all their consolidated tech and data. But hey, as long as I can make music easily, I can march to the step.

Which reminds me, thank you for your patience Flipperwaldt. You're answering PC specific questions and as I have like 13 Chrome tabs open just trying to figure out how to make some drat drums work...somehow...Now...The lightbulb goes off...Euraka, you got the audio interface, just get a drat Mac! All your advice, as well as everyone else's very specific advice, is helping a noob see things with a grander perspective and it's good stuff... I'm tired. I already see a shrink somewhat regularly, but I will tell a close friend that, if I ever buy an iPhone, I am no longer myself and must be committed. :)

e: And I should mention I'm not much of mic owner. And in many threads of this subforum, I would be praised for being a drummer who doesn't ever try to sing! This is just kinda prelim stuff or my-fun stuff so it'll be my elec drums set to direct audio in or direct midi in depending on what I'm up to. Then the guitar and MIDI keyboard, which I suck at both will be used some. I dunno. That's the "light years" part. I've already bought a new computer and guitar in the last two days. I know this may sound like crazed impulse buy central. But, it's actually more of an old Luddite finally upgrading his poo poo, slightly. My PC is great for all else, but poo poo for making music. And my old guitar was poo poo on. I feel good about fixing these two easy fixes in life. But my point is, baby steps here. Okay, goodnight audio thread. Nevermind the low buzzing hum. Your brain will noisegate it in your dreams. :unsmith:

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 6, 2018

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Here's a questions about both interface and instrument; can you use an electric guitar as a MIDI controller? If not, what are the alternatives?

My interfaces are mostly MIDI and I've been seeing only a handfull of related things online. One's Yamaha EZAG and Jamstik+. I really haven't heard great things about these (latency with Jamstik and Bluetooth only).

I don't really want to start filling my floor with pedals yet.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Here's a questions about both interface and instrument; can you use an electric guitar as a MIDI controller?
Roland makes synth pickups, but apparently the interface is proprietary and you need a fairly pricey converter to get it into regular MIDI. Pitch-to-MIDI converters exist but the tracking will probably not be great, especially on chords.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Graph Tech makes a hexpickup that works fairly well. There are myriad other inline converters available depending on how well you tolerate latency and your budget. Just get whatever if you're serious about trying it. It's definitely its own type of thing and requires a slightly different style to properly trigger notes.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is anyone still using a MOTU Ultralite mk3 (the firewire only version, not the firewire/USB hybrid) on a Mac? Any issues trying to use it on El Capitan, Sierra or High Sierra? I've been running on Mavericks for years, but I'm going to have to upgrade to one of those if I want to use Live 10. Looks like the latest drivers for it only list compatibility up to Sierra (10.12).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Splinter posted:

Is anyone still using a MOTU Ultralite mk3 (the firewire only version, not the firewire/USB hybrid) on a Mac? Any issues trying to use it on El Capitan, Sierra or High Sierra? I've been running on Mavericks for years, but I'm going to have to upgrade to one of those if I want to use Live 10. Looks like the latest drivers for it only list compatibility up to Sierra (10.12).

You're in my situation, except switch out the Ultralite for the Firestudio2626. Stuck on 10.8 because nothing beyond that works :negative:

I just want Logic X.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah also not an audio interface but fartzone, lots of people just record a bar with a hihat or stick or rimshot sound played by MIDI notes and then copy paste that for 3 hours. Works just as well as a metronome, goes to any output you want, pick any sound you like. Just save it as a default project or template or so, and you will only have to do this once. Make your own clicktrack.

Speaking of which, do the template/sane defaults thing. It will save you so much time if all your inputs. outputs and instruments are already named and in the right place. Your new projects will always start up correctly.

I don’t do this and it’s like writing code with an IDE that always forget whether you wanted spaces or tabs or something stupid and the setting to fix it is only a few clicks away.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

EDIT: Ignore my stupid poo poo as usual!! Since I posted this I went to my friends house. And he gave me a fancier drum brain to borrow. It has both the MIDI In and Out, (my current drum brain only has MIDI out). And my interface has both Midi In and Midi Out. The MIDI cable he let me borrow is MIDI on both ends, but also has a little box that connects by USB. Does something, he told me but I forgot.

So anyway. You guys have been super helpful. And are awesome. I don't want to make anyone make any more effort. I have a new drum brain now where I'll have the MIDI Ins and MIDI Outs going. So I'll go from there. I'll Google if latency is still an issue. It wasn't an "issue," but just enough latency for a self-critiquing drummer to have trouble with!

Laserjet 4P posted:

Oh yeah also not an audio interface but fartzone, lots of people just record a bar with a hihat or stick or rimshot sound played by MIDI notes and then copy paste that for 3 hours. Works just as well as a metronome, goes to any output you want, pick any sound you like. Just save it as a default project or template or so, and you will only have to do this once. Make your own clicktrack.

Speaking of which, do the template/sane defaults thing. It will save you so much time if all your inputs. outputs and instruments are already named and in the right place. Your new projects will always start up correctly.

I don’t do this and it’s like writing code with an IDE that always forget whether you wanted spaces or tabs or something stupid and the setting to fix it is only a few clicks away.

I appreciate all this. Thank You. I got sick of trying to make the drivers and everything work on my PC. So I finally broke down and bought a Mac Mini. Plugged the interface in, and was immediately able to record guitar, or MIDI/elec drums to audio, with live monitoring and a click!!

In Garage Band. I'm just a humble drummer farting around at home. Garage Band has more than enough bells and whistles to suit me. Having a lot of fun here.

I'm sure I could look this up, but while we're here...

Any tips on totally minimizing latency when recording MIDI with elec drums? There's virtually no latency when recording to audio. MIDI, it isn't bad latency, but enough where I'd like to minimize it, if possible. I got the 8GB Ram with 2.4ghz Mac Mini. And other than the application updates and update to High Sierra, I have nothing else I've downloaded. This is my music machine. I will never use it to look at porn, and slow the system down!

Also, when I record the drums to Audio, and I suck and press Undo. The first option is Undo MIDI Recording, even though it's an audio track. Then the next Undo is Undo Audio recording.

So I guess, with my elec drums, it's recording MIDI and Audio at the same time? That's cool. Where do the MIDI events go? Do I need to make another track (a MIDI drum track)? (For both the MIDI and audio to record simultaneously?)

Thanks. :)

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 12, 2018

headlight
Nov 4, 2003

I haven't been using or looking at musical gear for years (more than a decade in fact) but the last interface I had was the Edirol FA101 around 2007. Around then the main players seemed to be Edirol (a Roland brand) or M-Audio. Although it was a budget interface it crammed in 10 inputs and 10 outputs including MIDI and on my (PC) system, was much more stable than the equivalent M-Audio offering at the time. I loved it but then had to sell when when I needed cash.

Things have obviously moved on, but it seems like there is no comparable interface in terms of form factor with the same number of inputs or price anymore and most of the similar home recording interfaces seem to be 2/2 or 2/4 as far as audio in/outputs. Genuinely curious as to what happened. Did people simply not need that number of inputs or has there some other change problem I was unaware of?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid or mk4 have pretty similar I/O options as that Edirol. The MOTUs are priced/marketed more as mid-level than entry level though.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
My Behringer UMC 1820 is badass and dirt cheap.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

headlight posted:

Things have obviously moved on, but it seems like there is no comparable interface in terms of form factor with the same number of inputs or price anymore and most of the similar home recording interfaces seem to be 2/2 or 2/4 as far as audio in/outputs. Genuinely curious as to what happened. Did people simply not need that number of inputs or has there some other change problem I was unaware of?

The Edirol stuff was a bit before my time, but mostly has a good reputation. There are lots of interfaces with comparable I/O, just not a lot in that form factor. I imagine it's just market math: how many folks who actually need that much I/O don't have room for a rack-mounted interface?

But as Splinter said, MOTU does make half-rack interfaces with lots of analog I/O. iConnectivity is also doing some really interesting stuff in that form factor, but not with as many analog I/O connectors.

Speaking of half-racks, I just ordered the Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB: https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/clarett-2pre-usb/

I need a desktop interface for a separate PC (not my main DAW system), and I've been having trouble getting my MOTU Track 16 working well with that computer, so taking a gamble on Focusrite. I'm a vocal critic of their Scarlett line, but this thing has exactly the I/O I need, and has a physical power switch- which is really great because this is in my bedroom and I don't want its LEDs keeping me awake.

Will report out once I've had some time with it.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Radiapathy posted:

Speaking of half-racks, I just ordered the Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB: https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/clarett-2pre-usb/

I need a desktop interface for a separate PC (not my main DAW system), and I've been having trouble getting my MOTU Track 16 working well with that computer, so taking a gamble on Focusrite. I'm a vocal critic of their Scarlett line, but this thing has exactly the I/O I need, and has a physical power switch- which is really great because this is in my bedroom and I don't want its LEDs keeping me awake.

Will report out once I've had some time with it.

What was your complaint on the Scarlett line? I know the previous versions had latency issues but my 18i8 has been really solid for about a year now.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Radiapathy posted:

But as Splinter said, MOTU does make half-rack interfaces with lots of analog I/O. iConnectivity is also doing some really interesting stuff in that form factor, but not with as many analog I/O connectors.

Additionally, MOTU support is simply wonderful. I've had my 896mk3 for probably 8 years, maybe more. Carted it all over the country and into various lovely bars. Twice in that time period, I've suffered hardware failures in it, and they've just sent me a brand-new one for a flat $100.00. I'm a big fan of their products and their company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm probably bought into UAD for life now given all the plugins I own, but I have to say I have never had better support for a piece of music gear than I got from MOTU.