Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Davinci posted:

I always like to imagine that Vaccine Man was actually the strongest monster we've seen yet.

He WAS the fury of the entire planet coalesced into one perfect being yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

Dragonatrix posted:

You're asking about power level escalation in a series where part of the point is that its irrelevant.

I realise its hard to tell, but the comedy manga that involves things being punched is not a shonen battle manga.

Have you read OPM lately? It's totally an unironic battle manga now.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

im just glad we no longer have to read people arguing about where saitama's powers REALLY come from

RareAcumen posted:

I wonder where we go after this. We've done Earth's defender, incredible medicine, DNA manipulation, sea monster, aliens, and now an incredible martial artist. How do we escalate? All I've got right now is something coming back from the future, androids, vampires, or demons.

the nice thing about this manga is that every single major antagonist came and died in the same arc pretty . we havent even touched all of the things that have been foreshadowed and yet to be mentioned

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

im just glad we no longer have to read people arguing about where saitama's powers REALLY come from

I'm just glad it's no longer a webcomic spoiler.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

RareAcumen posted:

I wonder where we go after this. We've done Earth's defender, incredible medicine, DNA manipulation, sea monster, aliens, and now an incredible martial artist. How do we escalate? All I've got right now is something coming back from the future, androids, vampires, or demons.

My personal wish is for a crossover with Junji Ito's Remina.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I want another completely contradictory explanation in the next arc yeah. I mean, how do you know scientist dude is right about god?

Would be funny.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ChronoReverse posted:

I'm just glad it's no longer a webcomic spoiler.

The limiter might also be a joke.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
This is just an idea thought, but at some point murata should just draw an entire chapter of Serious Saitama working out like it's the most amazing goddamned thing ever. Because it is.

Just go all out on it: huge sweeping shots of the park and the city while Saitama counts up his 100 pushups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and then the 10km run all drawn in the serious style.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

The limiter might also be a joke.

Sure but it's a joke common to both the murata manga and the webcomic so we can talk about whether it's a joke or not.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
"Why takoyaki?"
"Because I accidentally an unlimited amount of octopus legs." :science:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

"Why takoyaki?"
"Because I accidentally an unlimited amount of octopus legs." :science:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mraagvpeine posted:

My personal wish is for a crossover with Junji Ito's Remina.

You just want to see Saitama punch a planet to death.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

Who doesn't?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Keeshhound posted:

This is just an idea thought, but at some point murata should just draw an entire chapter of Serious Saitama working out like it's the most amazing goddamned thing ever. Because it is.

Just go all out on it: huge sweeping shots of the park and the city while Saitama counts up his 100 pushups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and then the 10km run all drawn in the serious style.

This would be an amazing quick bonus chapter.

Also I, for one, did not expect Garou to turn out to be such a cool and nuanced character. Also hoping the dude from the tournament arc makes a re-appearance, iirc he was an original character Murata added. That dude has a lot of potential for having a cool character arc as well

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Say Nothing posted:

I don't think this is much of a spoiler, but just in case

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Say Nothing posted:

I also want to see him shut up all the crazed people who think that killing an innocent girl will somehow make the giant planet-eating monster go away.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I sincerely like the idea of Saitama crossing over to other works, and just solving whatever problem they have (with ONE PUNCH of course) like some kind of self-insert Gary Stu character. I just find it amusing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Unfinish3d posted:

This would be an amazing quick bonus chapter.

Also I, for one, did not expect Garou to turn out to be such a cool and nuanced character. Also hoping the dude from the tournament arc makes a re-appearance, iirc he was an original character Murata added. That dude has a lot of potential for having a cool character arc as well

ONE is a fantastic, fantastic character writer and it's one of the biggest strengths of his manga

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i love that royal ripper and bug god are friends.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I think those two became friends before they became monsters. Can you imagine Royal Ripper starting a friendship in his current state? No, he probably met Bug God when he was merely a human serial killer.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Maybe they're friends because Bug God is the only being alive that RR can hug without slicing to pieces.

Which has its own definite appeal for them, of course, but a little variety is nice from time to time, as well.

Also, I kind of went ahead with it in the last sentence, but I've always figured that Royal Ripper was a homage to the Kuchisake-onna urban legend/monster story, personally. So they've always seemed rather androgynous at me, at most, despite a fairly butch (even nearly outright masculine) build.

Hell, maybe Okamaitaichi isn't the only trans character, even, given how much Japanese artists tend to leave this stuff vague.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 21, 2018

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Unit24 posted:

This is a actually a pretty good point, this series has shifted the tone from parody battle manga to straight-faced punchmans for longer than it's been a joke comic. Reminds me a bit how the old school Dragonball was totally a goofball whatever manga, but got so drat popular that Toriyama decided to just roll with things and see how far he could take the setting and characters.

One Punch Man did its joke parody so well that most people who watched the show take it at face value as a serious beat 'em up by default, anr it's a little nutty! I'm all good with how it's played out, but it does seem to be fair game if it gets criticized for the same failings that other Shounen competitors do when they decided to take things seriously right out of the gate.

The way I see it, Saitama is the only character played for full comedic value in the manga, everyone else, their goals, plot progression and outcomes are dead serious like you'd see in every other Shounen. Saitama is the Big Lebowski who just wants to get his rug and go home while everyone else keeps dragging him into their affairs despite his efforts to find a dude who can take more than one of his serious punches :clint:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Parrotine posted:

This is a actually a pretty good point, this series has shifted the tone from parody battle manga to straight-faced punchmans for longer than it's been a joke comic. Reminds me a bit how the old school Dragonball was totally a goofball whatever manga, but got so drat popular that Toriyama decided to just roll with things and see how far he could take the setting and characters.

One Punch Man did its joke parody so well that most people who watched the show take it at face value as a serious beat 'em up by default, anr it's a little nutty! I'm all good with how it's played out, but it does seem to be fair game if it gets criticized for the same failings that other Shounen competitors do when they decided to take things seriously right out of the gate.

The way I see it, Saitama is the only character played for full comedic value in the manga, everyone else, their goals, plot progression and outcomes are dead serious like you'd see in every other Shounen. Saitama is the Big Lebowski who just wants to get his rug and go home while everyone else keeps dragging him into their affairs despite his efforts to find a dude who can take more than one of his serious punches :clint:

Sure, I buy it. Thing is, I think it's a natural consequence of having Murata drawing it in the way that Murata is just so indescribably good at... well, everything, but especially conveying motion and action in fights, and that's where Murata embellishes on OPM (One). Which to me makes the series both funnier and better, since this really really helps drive home the Saitama joke.

I have complete and utter faith at this point that One and Murata will be able to take everything in a good direction, and somehow keep adding quality. It's just so good, and it just keeps on delivering.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Maybe BLAST is Lord Orochi. Eyeball guy says he used to be human so maybe he saw him go up against Elder Centipede and was like "oh dope" and later fooled or seduced him with monster seeds. That's why BLAST never shows up.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Orochi isn't Blast. The Hero Alliance know what Blast's deal is and its a thing that he only turns up whenever he feels like it. E: Or the HA can get in contact with him if they deem it absolutely necessary, which is pretty weird all things considered but still.

Plus, well, Orochi is a new addition to the Murata version.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 21, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Unit24 posted:

Its a comedy slice of life manga that happens to have a shonen battle sidestory contained within.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dragonatrix posted:

E: Or the HA can get in contact with him if they deem it absolutely necessary, which is pretty weird all things considered but still.

my guess is Blast is a huge rear end in a top hat and nobody wants to ask for his help, even if the world is at stake

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

CharlestonJew posted:

my guess is Blast is a huge rear end in a top hat and nobody wants to ask for his help, even if the world is at stake

Maybe he's such an awkward nerd that they'd be ashamed, if he actually turned up.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Unfinish3d posted:

Also hoping the dude from the tournament arc makes a re-appearance, iirc he was an original character ONE added. That dude has a lot of potential for having a cool character arc as well

FTFY

Murata released one of the ONE drafts with Suiryu in it a while ago. Was fairly good-looking even in ONE's style.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Unit24 posted:

OPM is basically a parody/comedy whenever Saitama's perspective is the main one we're seeing, and a battle manga when it's following someone else. We've just been getting a lot more of the latter lately due to this arc's protagonist being Garou.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Orochi isn't Blast. The Hero Alliance know what Blast's deal is and its a thing that he only turns up whenever he feels like it. E: Or the HA can get in contact with him if they deem it absolutely necessary, which is pretty weird all things considered but still.

Plus, well, Orochi is a new addition to the Murata version.

I thought they said they had no way to reach Blast at the Hero HQ? Blast just sorta shows up whenever he wants to, and he hasn't done that in literal years or something absurd like that.

How good do you have to be at your job to just not bother to turn in for that long and still be top brass on the totem pole of the highly competitive hero scene?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Parrotine posted:

How good do you have to be at your job to just not bother to turn in for that long and still be top brass on the totem pole of the highly competitive hero manga scene?

Does the name Togashi mean anything to you?

And More fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 21, 2018

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

And More posted:

Does the name Togashi mean anything to you?

Everyone just understands that he constantly has important Dragon Quest related obligations to deal with.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
God don't remind me of HxH, it would be so much better if Togashi just sucked so I wouldn't have to care

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zerilan posted:

OPM is basically a parody/comedy whenever Saitama's perspective is the main one we're seeing, and a battle manga when it's following someone else. We've just been getting a lot more of the latter lately due to this arc's protagonist being Garou.

I wouldn't say that is sometimes is a comedy and sometimes it isn't, so much that it's always a comedy but sometimes the perspective character isn't in on the joke.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't believe ZombieMan is a mcmotherfucking clone from the HOE.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

when OPM is being a battle shounen it's being a really really good battle shounen so regardless of if it's actually a battle shounen or if it's still a comedy manga i think it's extremely good

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's like how latter series family matters suddenly turned into a sci-fi show whenever an episode was urkel focused

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

RareAcumen posted:

I can't believe ZombieMan is a mcmotherfucking clone from the HOE.

Well, not necessarily a clone, he could've just been a test-tube (literally) baby. I mean, the HOE appears to have been around for decades before it got shut down, Genus was, what, over a hundred years old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Parrotine posted:

I thought they said they had no way to reach Blast at the Hero HQ? Blast just sorta shows up whenever he wants to, and he hasn't done that in literal years or something absurd like that.

How good do you have to be at your job to just not bother to turn in for that long and still be top brass on the totem pole of the highly competitive hero scene?

I think it's because the S class isn't necessarily the highly competitive part of it, that's A class and down. S is generally a bunch of weirdos with bad people skills who happen to be so bullshit strong the HA can't afford not to keep them on speed dial for when something nasty shows up. The only one that actually seems to care about boosting their rank is Geno, because Saitama told him to.

Blast apparently is just so stronk they haven't seen better, so he sits at that rank even if he isn't active anymore.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 21, 2018