Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Just bought and installed the game. So far, it runs super smoothly for me and I can run on high settings with no issues. The 18GB size was a great inscentive too and I still play the old System Shock games.

What should I keep in mind when first playing the game? So far the only difference in character choice between M & FM is just visual ones. What should I keep in mind when first playing this game?

In terms of narrative "choices" most of them are your standard video game ones but that's okay because eventually it turns out to be part of the point. As for the actual game part I only really have three big ones:

1) The GLOO gun can make stairs.
2) Don't fight anything that glows until you have the shotgun and ammo to shoot with.
3) The stun gun is the secret best weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
GLOO is useful for lots of stuff, including conserving ammo.

I'd recommend to my friends doing a blind run first time through.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

...! posted:

The stun gun is insanely good against robotic enemies; it does a ton of damage to them rather than stunning them.
As I recall, it does in fact stun robotic enemies, too.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

...! posted:

Stealth is important, especially early on when you don't have the weapons/skills to take on the enemies properly. The two best weapons are the shotgun and stun gun and they're what you should prioritize upgrading (shotgun first). The stun gun is insanely good against robotic enemies; it does a ton of damage to them rather than stunning them. For skill upgrades, prioritize upgrading your inventory size. Having a smaller inventory is insanely frustrating.

Q-beam is actually a good deal better weapon than the shotgun in terms of resource-cost-to-kill, but it's not quite as fast. (safer, though, since it has effectively infinite range and precision) So do you want to safely accumulate more stuff (Q-beam) or more in your face action (Shotgun). I'm actually more of the first type, so shotgun never appealed much to me.

Especially if you go "superpowers" heavy, ignoring security weapons like the shotgun still completely still trivializes the whole game. (stun gun is still good until it gets outclassed by superpowers though)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 21, 2018

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

Q-beam is actually a good deal better weapon than the shotgun in terms of resource-cost-to-kill, but it's not quite as fast. (safer, though, since it has effectively infinite range and precision) So do you want to safely accumulate more stuff (Q-beam) or more in your face action (Shotgun). I'm actually more of the first type, so shotgun never appealed much to me.

Especially if you go "superpowers" heavy, ignoring security weapons like the shotgun still completely still trivializes the whole game. (stun gun is still good until it gets outclassed by superpowers though)

Also the Q-beam makes things explode, and the shotgun can't hold a candle to that. :colbert:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

all the weapons are pretty good. only one i never upgraded at all was the wrench. pistol makes for a pretty good lovely sniper rifle

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the secret best weapon is actually the upgraded pistol

you might not want to upgrade it because there's a quest mid-game that gets you a unique pistol with better base stats

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Feels Villeneuve posted:

you might not want to upgrade it because there's a quest mid-game that gets you a unique pistol with better base stats

I think you can do that anytime

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ladron posted:

I think you can do that anytime

you can do most anything anytime after getting the general access card and the zero-g kit but you'll *probably* first get to that part of the station at about the 1/3 - 1/2 point

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I didn't find the spoiled bit till extremely late in the game (on my first playthrough), which was a trifle frustrating.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The problem with the q-beam is that you don't get it until a fair way into the game, so you're better off using those early mods on the shotgun. And I found that the q-beam is really only super useful against the tougher enemies.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Q beam is available only slightly after the shotgun. Very early game weapon. Pre super powers is all early game

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
on one of my replays, I tried using the qbeam because everyone here talks about how great it is, but I found it took too long to kill, maybe I was doing it wrong

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I loved this game enough to buy a pre-order code from a black market Russian game sight just so my shottie would match my golden gun

I can think of lots of other ways to spend $3 that aren’t that good

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

ladron posted:

on one of my replays, I tried using the qbeam because everyone here talks about how great it is, but I found it took too long to kill, maybe I was doing it wrong

It needs a few upgrades to be good and it will always take longet to kill than the shotgun (although it will still often kill enemies before the shotgun would because of its range). Also remember it combines just fine with other sorts of damage too.

Its main benefits are range and ammo efficiency though (when upgraded) not pure dps.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

ladron posted:

It's exactly the same as the stun gun that everyone loves so much. It's pretty mediocre at first, but the upgrade that increases time between reloads is secretly also a huge ammo efficiency upgrade in addition for meaning you can fire for a lot longer between the admittedly somewhat long reloads.

I'd also disagree that it's only good against big things. Yeah, it's good against big things, but mimics are specifically weak to Our Lord of Light the Q-Beam, and so you can just tap left mouse for a fraction of a second and they blow up. It's not inefficient to use against them at all, and it kills very very quickly.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Q-Beam is great but it does have the problem that you have to expose yourself to whatever you're firing at for the whole duration of the beam. With the shotgun you can jump out from cover, fire, and duck back.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Q-Beam is great but it does have the problem that you have to expose yourself to whatever you're firing at for the whole duration of the beam. With the shotgun you can jump out from cover, fire, and duck back.
Also it slows down your movement quite a bit unless you upgrade it which can get you murdered by things really quick depending on what they are.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Hey I'm about to do another play-through since it's been a while. I'm going female typhon-mod heavy Morgan. Any cool or fun poo poo you guys discovered I should try?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

ladron posted:

I like using it for the flying bastards, technopaths.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

3Romeo posted:

Hey I'm about to do another play-through since it's been a while. I'm going female typhon-mod heavy Morgan. Any cool or fun poo poo you guys discovered I should try?

I thought the psychic abilities were the most fun and widely applicable, followed by electrical for robots. Mindjack works on the Nightmare, which makes for a pretty different feel to a human run. Doing the water quest early is probably a different route to how you'd normally go too.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

3Romeo posted:

Kinetic blast is good for the direct damage it deals, sure, but the fact that it can send even heavy physics objects flying away at high speed lets you do some cool poo poo, often letting you replace Leverage or Recycler grenades depending on what you want to use it for.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

voltaic phantoms that you raise can break electric conduits by walking past them which is really annoying because an all typhon build has no way to fix them. but you can get regeneration and enough electric resistance that you'll heal up all the damage from that and possibly regain some psi too

if youre going all typhon you'll have more than enough mods to get all the upgrades

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

hampig posted:

Mindjack works on the Nightmare

:stare:

gently caress. I wish I'd known that.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

3Romeo posted:

Be an operator for as long as possible. Max hacking.

Build your playstyle completely around being a robot and having an army of other robots to do your bidding.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 22, 2018

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

cuntman.net posted:

voltaic phantoms that you raise can break electric conduits by walking past them which is really annoying because an all typhon build has no way to fix them. but you can get regeneration and enough electric resistance that you'll heal up all the damage from that and possibly regain some psi too

if youre going all typhon you'll have more than enough mods to get all the upgrades

They're also turbojerks who will electocute any metal floor plates or puddles you are standing in. Yeah you can sorta mitigate it but it's still annoying, especially if you're trying to use a weapon that does not like being shocked.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
god, this is such a loving great game. I don't know what it is about it but every time I start playing I get pulled in. This is my fourth playthrough and I'm still finding new stuff and different ways around the station. It should've sold better than it did.

I don't know what Arkane's next move is, but if Thief:Dishonored :: System Shock:Prey, I'd love their take on a Deus Ex.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 24, 2018

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

So say we all.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
Just finished this game. All I want to say is that it is an absolute crime that it did not sell better, but (ending) I feel like the "best" ending was kind of cheap. It did the "it was all a simulation" thing pretty well, and all the hints the game drops now make sense, but I feel like it throws away a great narrative. I really wish the game didn't take that direction.

I wish they'd make a DLC which is just adding more to Talos I, or another space station, or something. I need more Prey in my life. On the other end of things - why the gently caress is this attached to the Prey IP? This should be called something else...

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

OniKun posted:

Just finished this game. All I want to say is that it is an absolute crime that it did not sell better, but (ending) I feel like the "best" ending was kind of cheap. It did the "it was all a simulation" thing pretty well, and all the hints the game drops now make sense, but I feel like it throws away a great narrative. I really wish the game didn't take that direction.

I wish they'd make a DLC which is just adding more to Talos I, or another space station, or something. I need more Prey in my life. On the other end of things - why the gently caress is this attached to the Prey IP? This should be called something else...

You did an excellent job summing up the last 175 pages of thread succinctly. Well done!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

All that new players should remember is that if you face a problem ask yourself "what would GLOO cannon do?". You tend to forget that the weapon exists as it's not aggressive enough in comparison to others but it's insane how many different little uses for it the devs thought of.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

All that new players should remember is that if you face a problem ask yourself "what would GLOO cannon do?". You tend to forget that the weapon exists as it's not aggressive enough in comparison to others but it's insane how many different little uses for it the devs thought of.

I'm in my very first playthrough and after the first time they show you some guy trying to escape a phantom over a ramp/stairs made of foam (I think this was in hardware labs?), it has been my default weapon 99% of the time - it freezes facehuggers, it slows phantoms, it puts out fires and lets me platform to new places I otherwise can't reach because I'm not using any alien powers. GLOO gun rocks.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It also does other stuff like letting you make paths on electrified floors, it triggers cystoids to explode, it will stop various machines from working like ventilators, turrets or operator dispensers, it will stop radiation. It makes a great combo when used with turrets - freeze incoming enemies while your turrets do the damage to them to save your gun ammo. You can also block doorways with it to set traps etc.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I used it for all that. I just did the cargo bay door defense event yesterday and only used turrets and sprayed foam onto the enemies, none of them managed to get through the door and nobody died :woop:

If I replay the game it will be hard to not use it all the time again, that's for sure.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Has anyone replayed the game with the Real Lights Plus visual mod? https://www.nexusmods.com/prey2017/mods/22

Does it make the visuals really much better? The screenshots almost all look worse with the mod installed but obvsl. its hard to show off dynamic lights in screens

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Palpek posted:

It also does other stuff like letting you make paths on electrified floors, it triggers cystoids to explode, it will stop various machines from working like ventilators, turrets or operator dispensers, it will stop radiation. It makes a great combo when used with turrets - freeze incoming enemies while your turrets do the damage to them to save your gun ammo. You can also block doorways with it to set traps etc.

mother FUCKER

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to kill unconscious humans without it triggering the "humans killed" counter? I thought I was being clever (cook quest spoiler) and tasered the cook after learning he's fake but before he could freeze me. Put his unconscious butt into the freezer and continued. I want to help the Deep Storage lady but she wants me to kill him and I don't kill people. Well, I do if it doesn't count, and apparently just letting him get away after freezing me would have led to a later mission where he suicides which does everything - kill him, finish the quest, keep my no-humans-killed run intact. I guess I hosed this up.

Is there a way to get him killed in Crew Quarters where he sleeps now in a way that doesn't count, so I can complete the quest without loving up my Goody Two-Shoes reputation (ie. :siren: MY PRECIOUS CHEEVO :siren:)?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

orcane posted:

Is there a way to kill unconscious humans without it triggering the "humans killed" counter? I thought I was being clever (cook quest spoiler) and tasered the cook after learning he's fake but before he could freeze me. Put his unconscious butt into the freezer and continued. I want to help the Deep Storage lady but she wants me to kill him and I don't kill people. Well, I do if it doesn't count, and apparently just letting him get away after freezing me would have led to a later mission where he suicides which does everything - kill him, finish the quest, keep my no-humans-killed run intact. I guess I hosed this up.

Is there a way to get him killed in Crew Quarters where he sleeps now in a way that doesn't count, so I can complete the quest without loving up my Goody Two-Shoes reputation (ie. :siren: MY PRECIOUS CHEEVO :siren:)?

None of the achievements require 100% completion.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think "don't kill any humans" does? Or doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Leave him in the path of a typhon.