Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Cheers. The 'It Could Happen Here' one is a propaganda masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

LordMune posted:

To pick up from some posts ago, a new thread is probably due.

Stellaris - 2.0 Serve Man

Stellaris - Consumer Electronics

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Jazerus posted:

besides, the star trek mod is going to still want to use warp. i wouldn't be surprised if there's a defines setting that at least re-enables warp, wormhole might be more permanently dead though you could probably hack something kind of similar together from modding the gate system

From messing around with the backend of the game for modding, the FTL property of a drive is just a line saying "ftl = <whatever>". So unless Paradox deletes all the code for how warp drive works, it seems likely you can mod in drives that have "ftl = warp" attached.

Wormhole was always a lot weirder than the other two in practice, though, because its whole system is tied to the stations, not the ships.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

From messing around with the backend of the game for modding, the FTL property of a drive is just a line saying "ftl = <whatever>". So unless Paradox deletes all the code for how warp drive works, it seems likely you can mod in drives that have "ftl = warp" attached.

Wormhole was always a lot weirder than the other two in practice, though, because its whole system is tied to the stations, not the ships.

Depends. I think they turned the warp drive into the late game 'jump drive'. It's not an instant teleport and you have a debuff when you land.

They also made ships have to traverse a system to a specific jump point to make it through. Which could either be an old dev cycle mechanic that was never used (we've always had the arrows in system) or it could be a new thing that'll mess with warp drives if they're modder back in.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

LordMune posted:

To pick up from some posts ago, a new thread is probably due.

Stellaris - 2.0 Serve Man

Stellaris - Die. Die. Die. Die. Die. Die. Die. D...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

Depends. I think they turned the warp drive into the late game 'jump drive'. It's not an instant teleport and you have a debuff when you land.

They also made ships have to traverse a system to a specific jump point to make it through. Which could either be an old dev cycle mechanic that was never used (we've always had the arrows in system) or it could be a new thing that'll mess with warp drives if they're modder back in.

The new jump drive looks like a completely new ability not really seen before in the game tbh because you have to select it and target it from a special fleet button. Seems to me that it's compared to warp just because the effect is similar (radial range limited direct travel to a system). For the necessity of having to travel to the specific system exit, my guess is that just modding warp back in would be pretty broken because if the code for warp is still accessible, it might not have been updated with that limitation.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

GunnerJ posted:

So unless Paradox deletes all the code for how warp drive works

we might have :\

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Ceasing support not enough for you, eh?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

LordMune posted:

I mean, I won't miss it but RIP New Horizons.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, killing New Horizons is a bit of a sin.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Set hyperlanes to 100% and hide them. Its a janky solution but it'll work.

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013
Stellaris - 2.0 Endless Spice

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Apocalypse trailer but instead of earth it's new horizons.gif

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

LordMune posted:

The Alphamod guy will be so angry.

Apocalyptic Penguin
Sep 6, 2010
Stellaris 2.0 - How many clicks does it take to get to the center of a Yondari Pop?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

The Alphamod guy will be so angry.

That dude's meltdowns are :discourse: so that might make removing warp code worth it.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

LordMune posted:

Curious - can you share the reason for removing it?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Wiz said in one of the streams that there is an option to remove visible hyperlanes and just set the density to max. You'll still only be able to jump to bordering systems but it's close enough.

I presume they have come to a solution since they have been talking with the New Horizon team and all.

Gyrotica posted:

Part of the optimization? All distance from now on is measured by number of jumps rather than euclidean distance so that would make warp hard to work (although jump drives still use euclidean distance from what I've seen)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

If there's one thing I don't like about hyperlanes, it's that you can see the whole galaxy-wide network of them right from the start. I get that this makes sense from a gameplay standpoint but personally I'd like it if you have to at least travel to a system before discovering where its hyperlanes lead to. But I get that this is probably better for a mod than core game design.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Frankly New Horizons is going to be fine. Guess what they had on Star Trek - chokepoints. Defensive installations that couldn't be circumvented. Neutral Zones. All of which work in 2.0 and don't work in fuckin warp.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Given all the changes, I sure hope you guys worked on the enemy fleet AI Wiz, or this will become even MORE effective now with hyperlanes enforced lmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7fOXqQBWSU

But if you did, I will miss this dearly. :(

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 21, 2018

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It'd be neat if they had to be mapped and activated with a science ship. You'd still be able to use ones in an enemy system because thet were activated, but I really like the idea of an evolving galaxy that has parts cut off until you research tech to unlock those lanes.

Same idea with a quadrant of rich and massively dangerous systems connected to old derelict jump gates that you cant access until you rebuild one.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

Frankly New Horizons is going to be fine. Guess what they had on Star Trek - chokepoints. Defensive installations that couldn't be circumvented. Neutral Zones. All of which work in 2.0 and don't work in fuckin warp.

Yeah, almost none of the "space geography" from the show makes sense with warp drive even if you keep the galaxy "flat" like Stellaris. Going hyperlane for gameplay's sake in Stellaris could make a lot of the space geography from the series actually work.

Then if you look at how three dimensional our galaxy really is it makes even less sense.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Demiurge4 posted:

It'd be neat if they had to be mapped and activated with a science ship. You'd still be able to use ones in an enemy system because thet were activated, but I really like the idea of an evolving galaxy that has parts cut off until you research tech to unlock those lanes.

Same idea with a quadrant of rich and massively dangerous systems connected to old derelict jump gates that you cant access until you rebuild one.

that sounds incredibly cool and maybe it'll get modded in, i would add the poo poo out of that in an instant

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gyrotica posted:

Maintaining multiple implementations of the same feature in the codebase is not a good idea. Plus, axing the other types allowed us to consolidate pathfinding/sensor code and improve performance via caching.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

If there's one thing I don't like about hyperlanes, it's that you can see the whole galaxy-wide network of them right from the start. I get that this makes sense from a gameplay standpoint but personally I'd like it if you have to at least travel to a system before discovering where its hyperlanes lead to. But I get that this is probably better for a mod than core game design.
Would work well with the new sensors. Jump somewhere with basic sensors -> see all hyperlanes leading from that system. Jump with +1 sensors -> see each adjacent system and also all the hyperlanes leading off them.

Make it a slider!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wiz posted:

Maintaining multiple implementations of the same feature in the codebase is not a good idea. Plus, axing the other types allowed us to consolidate pathfinding/sensor code and improve performance via caching.

You sure it isn’t because the alphamod guy’s meltdowns sustain you?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

hobbesmaster posted:

You sure it isn’t because the alphamod guy’s meltdowns sustain you?

They certainly sustain me!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Splicer posted:

Would work well with the new sensors. Jump somewhere with basic sensors -> see all hyperlanes leading from that system. Jump with +1 sensors -> see each adjacent system and also all the hyperlanes leading off them.

Make it a slider!

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stellaris - Make it a slider, No. 1

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

GunnerJ posted:

Ascendancy had a hyperlanes-only FTL system in the 90s, and in that game, you only discovered new hyperlanes when you entered a system (unless you were the Oculons who could see all hyperlanes as their racial trait). Make it the same for Stellaris, with the difference that when better scanners enable you to look at systems further from your ships, they also reveal the hyperlanes.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I'm going to go against the grain a bit and say that I think with 2.0 the game setup is starting to have too many sliders.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Why don't you slider on out of here

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

Ascendancy had a hyperlanes-only FTL system in the 90s, and in that game, you only discovered new hyperlanes when you entered a system (unless you were the Oculons who could see all hyperlanes as their racial trait). Make it the same for Stellaris, with the difference that when better scanners enable you to look at systems further from your ships, they also reveal the hyperlanes.

Wiz said in one of the streams that they'd thought about it, but it would require some ground-up rewrites they didn't have time for in 2.0.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Space Skeleton posted:

I'm going to go against the grain a bit and say that I think with 2.0 the game setup is starting to have too many sliders.

Perhaps they should add a slider to control how many sliders appear. :thunk:

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Wiz posted:

Awesome. Thanks for the insight!

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Squiggle posted:

Why don't you slider on out of here

Hey I don't feel strongly enough about it to cancel my preorder for Stellaris 2.0, just seems like a lot of complexity to throw at a player before they even get started.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I may have said this before, but it is worth repeating that it is awesome being able to talk with the developers of Stellaris directly in this threat.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Space Skeleton posted:

You just failed the Rhys-Davies test.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hunt11 posted:

I may have said this before, but it is worth repeating that it is awesome being able to talk with the developers of Stellaris directly in this threat.

Freudian slip, Wiz add more sliders or... things will happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Space Skeleton posted:

Wiz, please add a sliders slider so we can adjust the slider experience to our liking.

• Locked thread