Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The most common and cheap alcohols are Alcohest and Dwarven Spirits. Grab and buy every single one of those you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You never need to buy basic alcohol, just steal it from peasants. It is worth buying the ingredients for White Gull whenever you see them, though. You go through a lot of it in high end alchemy.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Question as someone who played the base game through when it came out and is now replaying from the start on Death March to go through the full experience with the DLC: when it gives the recommended DLC starting levels as 30 and 35, is that the same as for base game quests where you can go into it 3 or 4 levels lower then the quest level and it'll be a bit harder but manageable, or would going into Hearts of Stone at level 26-27 just be loving myself over?

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 21, 2018

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Nut up everyone, Geralt in a Bath is coming to your computer desk. Preorder now!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Does New Game+ present any sort of difficulty or is it pretty easy?

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
Just finished the main quest and got lucky to achieve one of the good endings. Went in blind and almost threw it away twice by inadvertently making bad decisions. *whew*. What a great game, can't wait to dig into dlc and maybe eventually new game+.

Question I can't figure out the answer to as someone whose only experience is this game: are they not recruiting Witchers anymore? Why does the order (or whatever) seem to be dying?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Omnicarus posted:

Nut up everyone, Geralt in a Bath is coming to your computer desk. Preorder now!

No endrega illusion, 0/10

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

edgar_ posted:

Just finished the main quest and got lucky to achieve one of the good endings. Went in blind and almost threw it away twice by inadvertently making bad decisions. *whew*. What a great game, can't wait to dig into dlc and maybe eventually new game+.

Question I can't figure out the answer to as someone whose only experience is this game: are they not recruiting Witchers anymore? Why does the order (or whatever) seem to be dying?

The last Witcher school, Wolf, lost their mutagens in W1, which are required to turn someone into a Witcher. The only person with the knowledge for training them, Vesemir, is dead too.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

edgar_ posted:

Node posted:

The last Witcher school, Wolf, lost their mutagens in W1, which are required to turn someone into a Witcher. The only person with the knowledge for training them, Vesemir, is dead too.

"why are witchers almost extinct" is a complex question

1). Human civilizations are stronger and better able to deal with monsters, so witchers are less necessary.
2). Witchers are magical mutant ninja Jedis and everyone is afraid of them because they can effortlessly murder your village if they decide to.
3). The process to become a witcher is incredibly brutal, painful, and dehumanizing. 70% of pre-teen trainees die during the Trial of the Grasses where they receive their mutations. Lambert's a prick, but his witcher childhood is mostly why.
4). At least for the Wolf School witchers (Geralt's bros), they were devastated by a peasant pogrom and lost their mages (who would conduct mutations) and most of their hierarchy. Vesemir, the fencing trainer, was all that remained. Then in W1 all their mutagens are stolen. Even if they wanted to make new witchers (they really don't because it loving sucks) they don't have the knowledge or mutagens.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Yeah I get the sense that the vast majority of witchers are quite happy to fade away into history

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Found Thaler, no Gwent option. Also found the merchant in the woods, no Gwent option :argh:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
The trick for Thaler is to talk to him immediately after you finish that first quest to find him.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
He also hangs out in the Seven Cats after that mission, so don't sweat it if you're already passed it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Node posted:

I'm not sure the wolf school was the last school. Last school in the area yes. World is a big place and there were multiple schools.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Viper School was wiped out by Nilfgaard, and it was the only other school still mentioned as being active. Maaaaybe the Manticore school is still around because Geralt doesn't know much about them and they seem to be more easterly towards zerrikania and ofier.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

He also hangs out in the Seven Cats after that mission, so don't sweat it if you're already passed it.

Found him there but I only have fluff dialogue options, no Gwent prompt. Big City Players completed after I played Vimme and the Mistress (I already had Djikstra’s card for some reason). So it never sent me to the merchant. I know Thaler is Old Friends but I either didn’t get that quest or completed it/failed it.

It’s not the end of the world but as a PS4 peasant I would like to wrap up every trophy possible before NG+.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Node posted:

Does New Game+ present any sort of difficulty or is it pretty easy?

Unless you bump up the game difficulty or enemy scaling, it pretty much plays exactly the same.

Apraxin posted:

Question as someone who played the base game through when it came out and is now replaying from the start on Death March to go through the full experience with the DLC: when it gives the recommended DLC starting levels as 30 and 35, is that the same as for base game quests where you can go into it 3 or 4 levels lower then the quest level and it'll be a bit harder but manageable, or would going into Hearts of Stone at level 26-27 just be loving myself over?

You'll probably be fine other than a couple tricky boss fights. B&W at least hits you with some pretty punishing combat right out of the gate so you'll know right away if you're out of your depth.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
It’s confirmed in-game that the Cat school was attacked and destroyed as well.

The theft of the Wolf school mutagens in W1 was a little odd - it’s presented as ‘Oh no, we’ve lost our most important secrets’ but by that point the knowledge was basically useless to them anyway.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Found him there but I only have fluff dialogue options, no Gwent prompt. Big City Players completed after I played Vimme and the Mistress (I already had Djikstra’s card for some reason). So it never sent me to the merchant. I know Thaler is Old Friends but I either didn’t get that quest or completed it/failed it.

It’s not the end of the world but as a PS4 peasant I would like to wrap up every trophy possible before NG+.

I think you have to talk to Dijkstra or Roche during Gwent: Old Friends, and they mention that Thaler also plays cards before you can challenge him.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Tarezax posted:

Yeah I get the sense that the vast majority of witchers are quite happy to fade away into history

credit to the witcher 3 for never explicitly talking about it directly (for the most part) and letting you piece together why everyone is so reluctant to make more witchers by talking to the ones who are still around in game.

I mean just one example among many of the game doing world building well

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think you have to talk to Dijkstra or Roche during Gwent: Old Friends, and they mention that Thaler also plays cards before you can challenge him.

Thanks for the pointer, turned out I hadn’t played Zoltan :doh:

Got both those cards now, completed High Stakes, now need all the other cards.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007
question about the end of Redania’s Most Wanted:

I lied to Radovid about Phillipa being dead and didn’t tell him about the crystal I found in her hideout. He promptly tossed me off his boat and that was that. Do those choices have any significant ramifications?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

new kind of cat posted:

I lied to Radovid about Phillipa being dead and didn’t tell him about the crystal I found in her hideout. He promptly tossed me off his boat and that was that. Do those choices have any significant ramifications?

no huge impact, there are important follow up quests you'll run into though

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

new kind of cat posted:

Yes but you did the right thing

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DoctorTristan posted:

It’s confirmed in-game that the Cat school was attacked and destroyed as well.

The theft of the Wolf school mutagens in W1 was a little odd - it’s presented as ‘Oh no, we’ve lost our most important secrets’ but by that point the knowledge was basically useless to them anyway.

It's less that they wanted them than that they didn't want anyone else to get their hands on them. They could do tremendous harm in the wrong hands.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I just came across ‘Where the Cat and the Wolf Play’ during my Gwent odyssey (missed it first time round):

why would anyone let that prick live?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Because pitchforks really hurt.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Goons have poor decision-making skills and/or are poor judges of character.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And Teigr is a pretty decent sword. Plus I'm a completionist who doesn't like to leave a place unexplored. I'm still mad you can't get one place of power depending on which path you take in King's Gambit. Sorry Hjalmar but Cerys is smarter than you and she has a free skill point to dole out.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
In NG+ are all places of power reset to be used again?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Bacon Terrorist posted:

In NG+ are all places of power reset to be used again?

Yes.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Under the vegetable posted:

There's a spot where Geralt can use Axii to make two schmucks count to 100 so he can walk into their fisstech lab. The VAs actually count to 100 and start bitterly cursing in the 80s. Greatest game ever.

this is one of mine and I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I just came across ‘Where the Cat and the Wolf Play’ during my Gwent odyssey (missed it first time round):

His story reminded me how Geralt (book spoiler) got killed in the books but with a different final outcome so it specifically struck a cord with people who read them and I read them way before Witcher 1 even came out. It was a memorable moment so this throwback made me stop and think about that.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

this is one of mine and I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

I'm glad I wasn't the only person to wait patiently as they counted :3:

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
It always seemed weird that Witchers were supposed to be near extinct and yet you're bumping into new ones pretty regularly

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bryter posted:

It always seemed weird that Witchers were supposed to be near extinct and yet you're bumping into new ones pretty regularly

How many new ones do you meet in W3? I’ve only met one that I know of.

was that guy I fought for Cat School gear Diagrams under Temple Isle supposed to be a witcher? I forget

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

You meet 3 cats + B&W.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Bacon Terrorist posted:

How many new ones do you meet in W3? I’ve only met one that I know of.

was that guy I fought for Cat School gear Diagrams under Temple Isle supposed to be a witcher? I forget
That guy, the psycho and another guy you meet during Lambert’s quest are the only ones I can think of (that you hadn’t met before and aren’t long-dead).

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Man, the wolf was not kind to the cat last time I played Geralt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

DoctorTristan posted:

That guy, the psycho and another guy you meet during Lambert’s quest are the only ones I can think of (that you hadn’t met before and aren’t long-dead).

live witchers:
Geralt
Vesemir
Lambert
Eskel
Letho (if you spared him during W2)
Gaetan (Cat and Wolf Play)
Jad Karadin (Following the Thread)
Kiyan (Cat School diagrams, is possessed by a demon)

Witchers can live for a long long time, even if the Cat and Viper schools got destroyed 30 years ago their youngest Witchers would "only" be around 50.

Xander77 posted:

You meet 3 cats + B&W.

who's in B&W?