Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

zooted heh posted:

Are the planet changes coming with this update or are they coming at a later time? I thought they were coming up in the first quarter

There are some in this update, and a major overhaul by the end of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so if i read up on these three changelogs:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/401680-3-0-Open-Beta-Patch-Notes
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/403967-Beyond-3-0-Beta-2-Incoming
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/405780-Beyond-3-0-Beta-3-Patch-Notes

will i have a pretty good comprehension of what's happening on the 27th?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:hai:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The Elite Dev Tracker if you want to stay on the bleeding edge of what's changing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

now i just need to learn how to read

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

played for about an hour or so tonight, got to 60/500 tons of ore mined for that engineer

this is agony

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Cowcaster posted:

played for about an hour or so tonight, got to 60/500 tons of ore mined for that engineer

this is agony

yeah, the release of engineers is what made me quit the game. i gave it a good solid try but just, nope. one of my favorite things about this game was there wasn't really some huge grind to get on the same level as everyone else, you could get bigger ships but a small ship was fine too. pilot skill mattered a lot more than anything else.

when they essentially threw that in the garbage, first with the changes to small weapons vs large hulls and then engineering on top of that, that was too much for me. the difference between a ship with basic modules and fully tricked out and engineered is really drastic, and now the NPCs have engineered parts, so it's almost become a requirement if you enjoy combat.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 21, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
How are you doing your mining? Do you have enough Collector Limpets? A Prospector?

I usually try and keep at least 3:1 limpets - a 5A controller can have three limpets active at once - to 2D Mining Lasers which can keep near perfect pace. Bind lasers and collectors to the same key so as you mine it'll spit out limpets until maxed and then just non-stop mine while your little bugs eat everything. Prospectors double the ore you get from a rock. And make sure you're also mining in a Pristine Metallic ring.

With a decent ship/build you can slam down hundreds of refined ore per hour and even more with a big ship like the Cutter.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 21, 2018

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Mimesweeper posted:

NPCs have engineered parts, so it's almost become a requirement if you enjoy combat.

This poo poo has been killing me, and killed my desire to keep playing. I might dick around with engineering after the changes but its really hard to find the want, to do it.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Hobold posted:

This poo poo has been killing me, and killed my desire to keep playing. I might dick around with engineering after the changes but its really hard to find the want, to do it.

exactly

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Kinda glad someone mentioned that it happens. I'd been wondering why everything got so drat much harder all the sudden.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Counterpoint: Engineers are great and customizing ships is my #1 favorite thing to do in Ellen: Degeneres

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Cowcaster posted:

now i just need to learn how to read

oh well don't worry, reading comprehension is not necessary, since there are two only constants to keep in mind: the game is still an unfun slog and second it will keep your balls glued to it since it's the only game that can straight out murder if you park your ship in the wrong parking spot

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Landing pad reserved for the world's greatest grandma.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Just started this thing and am using a joystick for the first time since 1992. Got the 16000m Hotas setup and it's so weird to play but feels so nice compared to M&KB.

Just wanted to say thanks for the OP and all the guides/tips because they've made the learning curve so manageable. My only experience was with X2-3-4 so it's a whole new ballgame but so much fun so far.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Y'all realize engineering is completely optional right?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you realize that playing the game at a literal, concrete disadvantage, ranging in magnitude from minor to extreme, is undesirable right

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
It's not optional if you want to do some combat unless you're a very skilled pilot or just want to kill eagles in a python in a high sec res.

The last part is a bit of hyperbole, you could get away with a vulture or maybe even a cobra in a high sec res. :cool:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I like the progression of engineering up a ship. It is a kind of progression the game was sorely lacking before. At least in my opinion.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Same, but some unlocking "quests" are extremely poo poo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress QWENT

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mr. Crow posted:

Y'all realize engineering is completely optional right?

I’d contest that it’s optional when NPC’s can access it.

It’s absolutely not optional for PVP.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you all realize that buying new guns at the start of a counterstrike round is optional, right

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

you all realize that buying new guns at the start of a counterstrike round is optional, right

Buying guns and using the features of counter strike is dishonorabu.

You should have to earn those guns by hours of grinding, otherwise the game is easy mode.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just to be sure I don't "waste my time too badly".

Is doing salvage-only missions for the first hours a good way to learn the game or should I try to get in early bounty missions to learn the ropes while I have a Sidewinder and difficulty isn't too high? I know the OP is saying I should stop playing Solo mode since learning to deal with hostile people early on is a very useful thing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

gently caress QWENT

I had the luck I was grinding modular terminals at the same time I was grinding fed rep and big bucks through one of the lovely relog exploit grinds. I can't even imagine doing it legit.

Did they just figure "everyone's exploiting the poo poo out of our mission system, let's just base our grind off of that baseline" or what?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Just to be sure I don't "waste my time too badly".

Is doing salvage-only missions for the first hours a good way to learn the game or should I try to get in early bounty missions to learn the ropes while I have a Sidewinder and difficulty isn't too high? I know the OP is saying I should stop playing Solo mode since learning to deal with hostile people early on is a very useful thing.

just grabbing whatever low-level missions tickle your fancy on whatever bulletin board you're at is as good a way as any to get your feet wet in the game. you should look to get out of the sidewinder and into almost legitimately anything else as soon as possible though, since it's the game's equivalent of respawning without any of your equipment.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

When engineers released I didn't have horizons so aside from the super broken ai with autocannon plasma accelerators and frag railguns, the newly more powerful enigeered rat ships were way harder to kill in my un-engineerable python to the point where bounty hunting wasn't worth doing anymore. (not that its still worth doing now anyways)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

iospace posted:

gently caress QWENT

This should probably be in the OP. :crossarms:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My big problem with engineering is that when the patch drops next week, I'm going to have to grind all the mods so I can strip down EVERYTHING to make my DBX go even further than it already has.

And it's already at 50+ light years per jump.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cowcaster posted:

just grabbing whatever low-level missions tickle your fancy on whatever bulletin board you're at is as good a way as any to get your feet wet in the game. you should look to get out of the sidewinder and into almost legitimately anything else as soon as possible though, since it's the game's equivalent of respawning without any of your equipment.

Great, thanks a bunch!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

iospace posted:

My big problem with engineering is that when the patch drops next week, I'm going to have to grind all the mods so I can strip down EVERYTHING to make my DBX go even further than it already has.

And it's already at 50+ light years per jump.

Shouldn't be that hard if you're already at the finish line. A final G5 roll for each will max you out after the patch. :confuoot:

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Shouldn't be that hard if you're already at the finish line. A final G5 roll for each will max you out after the patch. :confuoot:

I thought after patch they put you down at G4, and its 2-5 rolls to max out G5 past that?

Admittedly I only upgraded a handful of grandfathered modules in the beta and I didn't pay close attention to the transition.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Eldragon posted:

I thought after patch they put you down at G4, and its 2-5 rolls to max out G5 past that?

Admittedly I only upgraded a handful of grandfathered modules in the beta and I didn't pay close attention to the transition.

That's what I heard them say on a stream, although I guess it's possible they changed their minds since then...?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

iospace posted:

gently caress QWENT

Language!

There's no need for that. Just use proper civilised words like “oval office” or possibly “queef”, like someone who's allowed in furnished rooms.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

My only G5 is my FSD. The thing is they're introducing secondary effects to most everything now, including "stripped down" which reduces the mass. So now you can G1 clean tune your drives and do lightweight secondary so suddenly it's down like 10% the mass.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Eldragon posted:

Trustworthy posted:

That's what I heard them say on a stream, although I guess it's possible they changed their minds since then...?

:stonk:

HOT loving GARBAGE CAT! :mad:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So is this new patch supposed to be cool and good or is it more grognard bullshit?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Knifegrab posted:

So is this new patch supposed to be cool and good or is it more grognard bullshit?

Unironically, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

as far as i understand it, the most major change is now instead of taking a grade 5 modification and randomly rolling on it 20 times to try and get a good bonus, you now have to start with a grade 1 modification and roll on it 20 times to max it out at grade 5 with a guaranteed good bonus at the end

• Locked thread