Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I want someone just being like hey Henry you talk to the lords and poo poo, can you explain what the hell is with there being two Popes now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

precision posted:

If the ingame Wikipedia is to be believed, women at that time in that part of the world had a lot more agency and rights than you would think.

From what I recall, women had more occupational opportunities after the main outbreak of the black plague since there were so many job openings needing to be filled. However, I don't remember if this was still the case by the time the game starts.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

corn in the bible posted:

I want someone just being like hey Henry you talk to the lords and poo poo, can you explain what the hell is with there being two Popes now

At the time there had been two popes for about 100 years and it was pretty much wrapping up -- like, the Avignon pope fled Avignon in 1403. So two popes isn't new news, it's old news.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avignon_Papacy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also, to quote, "I don't care where the Pope shits, I've got dysentary!"

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Unzip and Attack posted:

So how does binding/clinch attack actually work? I assume that the "special attack" button initiates it but once the animation starts do you spam left mouse button or keep hitting special attack? Is the outcome RNG based on stats or is there a way to win it with player input?

I think stats (yours and your opponents) affect how long the clinch lasts, and if you press one of the three attack buttons before the clinch ends if results in an attack based on which button you pressed. If you don't hit a button before the clinch ends, they attack.

Unsure if perfect timing can guarantee that you win or not.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

You're pulling my pizzle!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Holy poo poo, the Run! quest after Hans gets shot with an arrow is the WORST quest in the game. Hey, let's have you carry a body through a sea of guards where you will drop it if you get hit once. Also, you're wearing no armor. Also, the save spot makes you eat four hits before you can even get your shield out half the time. Also, if you try to clear a path the dude bleeds out.

I have no idea how to even do it, unless i become some mace-wielding blender and can clear out ten guards in 30 seconds. Very frustrating.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

There's more diversity than Needs Black People though, like you can't pretend there wouldn't be Roma and so on

Apparently the Roma only started moving into the area shortly after the period the game is set in

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Holy poo poo, the Run! quest after Hans gets shot with an arrow is the WORST quest in the game. Hey, let's have you carry a body through a sea of guards where you will drop it if you get hit once. Also, you're wearing no armor. Also, the save spot makes you eat four hits before you can even get your shield out half the time. Also, if you try to clear a path the dude bleeds out.

I have no idea how to even do it, unless i become some mace-wielding blender and can clear out ten guards in 30 seconds. Very frustrating.

Yeah I think they shoehorned that in as a timer so that you can't take on the entire army and save the day by yourself. I think they expected you to fail the quest before you get to that point.

I was able to take them on before he bled out but it took me like 10 tries.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

MadJackMcJack posted:

Apparently the Roma only started moving into the area shortly after the period the game is set in

According to wiki, they would already have been in the area. Also according to wiki, they would later on by persecuted and banished. Given how they're still treated today, I very much doubt they'd be included in the game as anything other than some form of antagonists.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Pro-tip if you're going to try your hand at mounted archery take care you don't put one through the back of your horse's skull. Learned that one the fun way.

kidkissinger posted:

What is the general opinion on warhammers?

I recently tried it out after using a longsword for pretty much the whole game and they're absolutely devastating. A blow to the head will stagger if not outright kill most opponents (and I don't even have the KO perk). Heavily armored opponents are a pain with bladed weapons but with a hammer you can just cave their skull in even if you suck at maces. Now I carry both because Fearnot still seems better at running through plebes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Can warhammers cause bleeding or is that just a bladed weapons effect?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Do you fickle nerds apply this kind of scrutiny of consumption to your music, movies and television too? How do you enjoy anything on this terrible earth full of inequality and exploitation?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Just finished the massive battle with the bandits and cumans in the woods

I was able to easily take down Runt by bullrushing him, which took all his vitality due to a perk I have, then hitting him in the head a single time knocked him.out cold because of another perk and i just mercy killed him after that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

On the sexism stuff I think it would be fair to note that other Eastern European RPG Game Dev CD Projekt went from literal sex collector cards in their first game to having female empowerment be a core plot theme in their third.

Polite but firm disapproval can achieve a lot, particularly when dealing with people from a society that's trying to be Western but has a lot of conservative baggage it has to work through.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

Do you fickle nerds apply this kind of scrutiny of consumption to your music, movies and television too? How do you enjoy anything on this terrible earth full of inequality and exploitation?

i mean i still bought it. i just like history a lot and it seems like the prologue with the deutsch promises some dissent within the communities, but it doesnt really become an issue again ever. i think more of that would actually be interesting and everyone being either immediately violent or on radzig's side is more boring than it could be otherwise?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Zigmidge posted:

You are right, everything is perfect, hail Satan.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zigmidge posted:

There's no ethical consumption under capitalism

Past that though the answer is "yes". It doesn't stop me usually but the analysis itself is fun.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Is there like a good combat tutorial online? I'm only like 4 hours in and I just finished the second sword lesson and I couldn't even get a single hit in on the noble kid who challenges you afterwards. Almost beat him in the bow and arrow thing, though. I'm so impossibly bad at the combat I almost returned the game but I love everything else about it so I kept going.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

esquilax posted:

Yeah I think they shoehorned that in as a timer so that you can't take on the entire army and save the day by yourself. I think they expected you to fail the quest before you get to that point.

I was able to take them on before he bled out but it took me like 10 tries.

I ended up having to save scum and put on my armor before the checkpoint, which is pretty bad game design

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

I'd think it pretty easy to understand that you can enjoy something while recognising its problems.

On a completely another topic, everybody in this game has started to exclaim about my arrival, always making sure to include calling me Henry and this is all I can think about when that happens.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
They're pushing the update again, what will they break this time

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Jusupov posted:

They're pushing the update again, what will they break this time

You now start the game as Pastor Jan Hus

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Frog Act posted:

Is there like a good combat tutorial online?

This one is pretty good.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Is there anything related to the hussites in this? I know nothing about the timeline but I think someone mentioned the big rebellion was in a decade or so?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Hey, Henry’s come to see us!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's no ethical consumption under capitalism

Past that though the answer is "yes". It doesn't stop me usually but the analysis itself is fun.

Yeah I mean while everyone is like "Oh yeah, I don't watch Woody Allen or Roman Polanski films" (because they're bad :ssh: ) very few people say "I don't listen to Bowie because he hosed teenagers" and the only way to settle that in your mind is to say "well the teenagers Bowie hosed wanted it" which is an argument you never, ever want to even try to make.

Plenty of goons read Game of Thrones (as you well know) and GRRM is right-wing, sexist and probably racist and if he knew what alt-Right was, he'd probably agree with them.

The writer of this game has actually even explicitly said that CDPR have employees who are pro-GG and who just keep their mouths shut. Which, in a way, is worse, because that doesn't even let your consumers make the choice in the first place.

Like, I think he's probably similar to guys like him I've known who were in the SCA and went to goth/industrial nights and owned tons of swords and guns, and from what I've read, he's point blank not even close to as bad as them.

It's just a bit weird that everyone has focused on this game - Waypoint has made a big deal out of saying "We're not covering the game, but here's a podcast about whether we should cover the game", for example. It's weird because, as far as I or anyone can tell, the game itself is pretty tame about racism and contains almost no racism that I can discern. Someone tried to own him on Twitter about Jews not being in the game and they explicitly are (they have a codex entry, even). It's just this baffling shitstorm all around.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

precision posted:

Plenty of goons read Game of Thrones (as you well know) and GRRM is right-wing, sexist and probably racist

Don't want to start a huge derail here, but can you provide some support for this? GRRM was/is a huge critic of Bush and Trump (he called Trump "a grown up King Joffrey") and I've never heard him make any comments that would lead me to think he's a racist or sexist.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Chad Jihad posted:

Is there anything related to the hussites in this? I know nothing about the timeline but I think someone mentioned the big rebellion was in a decade or so?

There's a quest where you meet a priest and talk about Jan Hus

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

The Chad Jihad posted:

All I found so far is Theresa mentioning Jan Hus is hot or something like that.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Hey Theresa's uncle, thanks for teaching me how to pickpocket and all, and being patient when I keep failing over and over again, but when you start walking away and I have to ask you if I can try again, can you not immediately bolt away and start screaming for the guards?

My Henry is actually pretty great at lockpicking now, if by "lockpick" you mean "sword" and by "lock" you mean "Cuman skulls". Picking their pockets becomes way easier, then!

Anyway, that's not what I came to post about, here is an effortpost about the thing I'm actually posting about :

I got as far into the main quests right before that super-buggy quest fails to trigger, so I decided to go up to the scribe in Ululullula and learn me some readin'. It was trip and it was just getting dark dark out when I got to the town. Before I could find any lodgings, a man sprints by, a brief blur suddenly illuminated by my torchlight. Cries of THIEF! THIEF! come from behind him, so I quickly dismount and give chase in my full but piecemeal armor kit, because that is how I roll. I happened to be running the same speed as this unarmored man, which was nice because that meant Henry really was getting stronger :unsmith: but not strong enough to not get winded and pause, allowing the thief to slowly widen the gap between us.

After a couple of minutes of sprinting steadily away from town, I forgot I could whistle for ol' Pebbles. :horse:

So, anyway, scant seconds later: I catch up and cut off the thief, but found that even with no weapon drawn that I couldn't tackle the son of a bitch. He ignored me, and kept trying to get away. But I had delayed him long enough that the victim of his theft had time to catch up, and immediately engaged the thief in some good ol' fashioned fisticuffs.

By now I found myself hesitating, because this seemed just a trifle bugged, and I didn't want to somehow tank my rep in a new town (at least, not like this) even if I was only trying to do the right thing. What really concerned me was that I hadn't saved in 45 minutes and I had no schnapps. No false moves, here.

So I stood there like an rear end in a top hat, holding a torch and watching two peasants beat the dung out of each other. The thief won, and sprinted off towards town.

Now, assuming you bothered to read this this far (thanks for indulging me btw), you know I had two clear choices - get on Pebbles and continue on to an inn, or maybe check to see if the loser of the fistfight had anything good on him that that thief hadn't stolen. But, my Henry is a good person, technically, so I took a third choice: pick up the poor man and carry him back to town. I didn't see him rewarding the guy who watched him get he own rear end handed to him, but it felt like the right thing to do.

After a bit of a slow walk, I see someone walking the same road as us - the thief!!! By this point, jank be damned: I wanted justice. So I unceremoniously dropped the peasant I was carrying, ran behind the thief. I found out that I couldn't tackle him or even choke him out. I snapped.

I donkey-punched the son of a bitch. I had only wanted to knock him out (maybe earn some Unarmed XP), but it turns out his winning that previous fight was no accident! He beat me with both fists until I was literally half dead.

I was done loving around, no recent save be damned: time for a bit of Mr. Bludgeon. :black101:

After several blows to the skull, the thief went down for a forever-nap, and I helped myself to his stuff. Naturally, it was all marked with stolen. Whatever, the rear end in a top hat had more than enough to rent me a bed and some food for the rest of the night. I whistled for Pebbles and filled his bags with the sketchy loot. I also notice the thief had an expensive ring, also marked as stolen, which I assumed was the victims.

And I guess if I ever see him again, I'll give it back. This is a pretty fun game, you know? :sax:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
All of my gear is marked as stolen from the monastery even after sleeping a few days in Rattay :( Does it go away at some point?

Also game still expects me to follow monastery work hours for some reason

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Unzip and Attack posted:

Don't want to start a huge derail here, but can you provide some support for this? GRRM was/is a huge critic of Bush and Trump (he called Trump "a grown up King Joffrey") and I've never heard him make any comments that would lead me to think he's a racist or sexist.

Fair enough about the politics - that was just a guess - but he's definitely gross about women. Remember when he talked, a lot, about the character on the show who's supposed to be a teenage girl not showing her tits enough?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

The Chad Jihad posted:

Huss comes up in the main plot several times and the game is set right when he is getting started. I suspect the Hussite Wars are basically going to be the franchise from here out.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 21, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

We live in a panopticon and our culture is the jail/gang culture because it just make sense if you feel watched by the guards, you start acting like a prisioner. Everything from schools to workplaces run like a prison system. And we need some strong imagination muscle to even imagine a different world.
Capitalims is 50 years away from suicide and what will come next will be some extreme form of feudalism where the lords will not even *need* serfs around, they will have them like pets or for ego reasons.
Energy shields will make firearms useless, it will all be combat with melee weapons in power armour. Is going to be awesome!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Literally Kermit posted:

And I guess if I ever see him again, I'll give it back. This is a pretty fun game, you know? :sax:

Great story. I've noticed this game is fantastic at creating emergent, accidental awesome moments like that.

So how long should I do the squire missions before I head off to learn reading and explore? Since I won the bow off Hans I'm kinda wanting to just be an archmans and head out exploring.

Speaking of which, How Big Is the Map? did their video on this game. Just over an hour to walk straight across it, corner to corner. They also did a "run across the map" video where they show more of the villages since the walking video's path is mostly through forests.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Well I ran across a camp somewhere fairly out in the open and it contained a full set of plate mail and an end game sword. I opted not to take it cause it seems like it would trivialize the game. Odd that they just left all this end game armour/weapon in a crate fairly exposed like that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Popete posted:

Well I ran across a camp somewhere fairly out in the open and it contained a full set of plate mail and an end game sword. I opted not to take it cause it seems like it would trivialize the game. Odd that they just left all this end game armour/weapon in a crate fairly exposed like that.

What's more odd is that none of the hotfixes have made that chest locked, it's clearly intended to be locked or something.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

precision posted:

Fair enough about the politics - that was just a guess - but he's definitely gross about women. Remember when he talked, a lot, about the character on the show who's supposed to be a teenage girl not showing her tits enough?

So you just casually slandered someone without even doing a cursory google check? Alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

lol we must defend the reputation of the gross nerd in the train driver hat