Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are there any early weapons I should be specifically targeting to craft as soon as I have the MR for them? I started with the MK1-Paris bow and ended up buying the Braton for credits since it feels nice having a rapid-fire option available, too. But now that I'm getting to the point where I can start crafting weapons, I have no idea where to even start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

gaj70 posted:

Is that still true after the recent rework? I thought the point of the MR groups is that there would be something of a progression i.e., the MR 13-15 group should be better than the MR 10-12 group

Put differently, is the Boltor Prime ("mastery rank increased from 2 to 14") top tier again?

The rework spaced things out a little more evenly, but it's still not as much of a direct correlation to power as it is in more traditional RPGs.

The Boltor Prime is still very good (and now it's a crit gun! :keke: ) but now it's a more appropriate distance away from a newbie's grubby mitts.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

Are there any early weapons I should be specifically targeting to craft as soon as I have the MR for them? I started with the MK1-Paris bow and ended up buying the Braton for credits since it feels nice having a rapid-fire option available, too. But now that I'm getting to the point where I can start crafting weapons, I have no idea where to even start.

Make a Hek. Ask for a copy of Shattered Justice (I think?) in Clan for it and fuse it up. That will give you a goon approved option for stuff that feels rough.

Otherwise make what looks cool and you can get the parts for. Look up the weapons used in crafting page on the wiki. I'm still trying and learning myself so no big suggestions for early.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I think there's a lot of value in trying everything because even if it sucks, it gets you MR - and now that's doubly important because the new MR scheme gets you more unlocks as you rank up. As long as it doesn't require truly disgusting amounts of resources (do not get a Sibear at MR6 or whatever, no) it's worth trying out on your MR climb. And ask if you're unsure - for example I tried the Sobek and thought it was garbage. Turns out I didn't know about a Sobek-exclusive mod which makes it pretty cool. I should probably get that mod sometime :v:

like Tylana says, the Hek is extremely solid and will grow with your mod collection and will be viable for the entire starchart, at which point you'll know what you like and can do what you want. Scattered Justice is an extremely good mod.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Harrow posted:

Just craft anything that looks good and try it out, nothing is really 'bad' especially at low levels, and for anything to truly be good you have to use a orokin catalyst on it to double the mod capacity; levelling a weapon to 30 is basically just a test run. if you don't like it, sell it and try something new! After a while you'll have a few that you like and keep around. Also, if you havent already put the code FREESWORD in the market code spot to get a pre-upgraded heat sword, it's great starting out as something to fall back on if you find yourself in a mission where your gun isn't cutting it. You'll get some other pre-upgraded melee weapons from later story missions also.

I've been playing for a month now and am basically at the point where i always have multiple weapons of each category already crafted just sitting in the foundry waiting to be claimed and levelled for mastery, and a small collection of guns I like or that are waiting to be crafted into other ones. Really need to get more weapon slots but I've been lazy about trying to sell some of the stuff I've collected to players, cuz player to player trading is always a pain.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Harrow posted:

For the next week or two, I'd recommend building s Synapse (MR 6) ot Amprex (MR5) if you can. They are scheduled for a buff (and MR level increase) soon.

edit: too late

gaj70 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 21, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thanks for the tips! Also I didn't know about FREESWORD and I love free swords so I'll be doing that as soon as I get home.

Tylana posted:

Make a Hek. Ask for a copy of Shattered Justice (I think?) in Clan for it and fuse it up. That will give you a goon approved option for stuff that feels rough.

Hek looks great so I'll make that once I have the MR for it. I love a good shotgun.

Do people generally have a bunch of extra mods they're just saving to hand out to newbies? I haven't really asked for help in clan chat yet because I don't yet have a feeling for what help I even need :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

there's a pinned message on Discord which has a list of extremely useful starter mods most people have duplicates of. Ask for all of those, someone will get you the ones you need. Note you have to be MR2, (and have crafted a clan dojo key?) to trade in the dojo.

the game is good that weapon mods are really how you get powerful, but the game is bad at easing new players into actually having a useful set of basic mods.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

The Boltor and Karak should be within immediate reach, if you need an assault rifle that Does The Dang Thing while you're chewing on the early content.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As for warframes themselves: are there any frames that are like good early on but not that good later, or vice-versa (not good early on but good later)? I know Rhino is the frame people say you should craft ASAP, and I'm a couple missions away from being able to farm for his blueprint so I'll definitely be doing that.

Also I'm enjoying this game a whole lot and I'm already really excited to get to the point where I can start using a bunch of different frames with a bunch of different builds. It seems like there's a ton of freedom in how you build each frame (being able to store three builds per frame is rad, too) and I'm going to have a ton of fun mixing and matching mods.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 21, 2018

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Ember is really the only frame that seems to hit an effectiveness cap like that (which got worse with the recent update), most of the frames are effective through the whole game. That said, builds tend to change as you go - frames that are nukers early on tend to fall into more support and crowd control roles as their damage becomes less valuable.

Oberon is my poster boy for frames that start underripe but get better with time and effort. I find that Loki also takes some loving to get him where he should be but, oh my, he's so worth it :swoon:

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 21, 2018

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Frames are more of a 'right tool for the job' kind of deal. You'll want all pokeymans eventually so, same as with guns, craft what looks interesting/cool and give it a test drive.

They're a bigger investment than weapons, but unlike weapons you probably won't ever get rid of a frame because you found a 'better version' of it (unless you count primes).

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Is there a decent guide for a returning player who has no idea what to do with the plains/amps/focus 2.0/etc? I am quite lost.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Edmond Dantes posted:

unlike weapons you probably won't ever get rid of a frame because you found a 'better version' of it (unless you count primes).

pre-rework I think you could easily get, 30, and ditch mag, zephyr, and wukong for example. Now ... well, sorry Wukong :v:

and there will always be frames which just don't work for you. I got Vauban and was not impressed so he's gone. Same with Nyx, though that might have been a "didn't have the right mods" situation but I'll get Nyx P whenever that gets unvaulted in 2020 or whatever and find out then. That kinda thing.

Just don't sell frames you can't farm back up.

DoombatINC posted:

Oberon is my poster boy for frames that start underripe but get better with time and effort.

Oberon is a great example. I got regular Oberon really early and used him and was like yeah okay, you're fine and all, but boring, sold. I got Oberon Prime later after knowing a little more about what I was doing, put better mods in, then mashed a potato into him, and he's great.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 21, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Harrow posted:

As for warframes themselves: are there any frames that are like good early on but not that good later, or vice-versa (not good early on but good later)? I know Rhino is the frame people say you should craft ASAP, and I'm a couple missions away from being able to farm for his blueprint so I'll definitely be doing that.

Also I'm enjoying this game a whole lot and I'm already really excited to get to the point where I can start using a bunch of different frames with a bunch of different builds. It seems like there's a ton of freedom in how you build each frame (being able to store three builds per frame is rad, too) and I'm going to have a ton of fun mixing and matching mods.

Nah, they got rid of the worst of that several years back.

It USED to be that if you picked Loki to start, you could find yourself to be completely hosed: No directly offensive powers, combined with a lack of modding potential due to lack of potato, mods, or fusion cores while still being on crap weapons, also due to lack of potato, mods, or fusion cores, and none of the resources needed to get the better weapon to get out of the hole, screwed a lot of people. I speak from experience.

(Yes, stealth is inherently broken AF, but it's a lot less broken when you can't sustain it for the entire mission or take advantage of the multipliers because of a low base damage.)

Then they swapped starter Loki out for starter Volt, and that problem mostly went away. (I still don't loving understand damaged mods, they need to have a better conversion rate to get the endo back out of them 1:1 and then some.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 21, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

Frames are more of a 'right tool for the job' kind of deal. You'll want all pokeymans eventually so, same as with guns, craft what looks interesting/cool and give it a test drive.

They're a bigger investment than weapons, but unlike weapons you probably won't ever get rid of a frame because you found a 'better version' of it (unless you count primes).

Yeah okay, that makes sense. I'm guessing people suggest grabbing Rhino ASAP because he's just a great all-around frame for playing through the early- to mid-game missions solo?

Are Prime warframes something you find blueprints for/craft the same way as regular warframes, or do you need platinum for them or anything like that? Prime weapon variants look like they're just higher-MR versions (I think) but I don't fully understand the relationship between a frame and its Prime version (aside from the fact that the Prime version has slightly better stats and different mod slot polarity).

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Then they swapped starter Loki out for starter Volt, and that problem mostly went away. (I still don't loving understand damaged mods.)

Damaged mods definitely confused me. I'm assuming they're there so the player can have some useful early mods but still feel the push to search for the "real" versions of those mods once you're out of the tutorial? I dunno.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
People suggest Rhino because you can get him early on and is a braindead simple workhorse immortal weapons platform.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011
I accidentally brought an Opticor to the Kela fight, and maybe it's ok with punchthrough but I was drat near useless for hitting the mini game and her.

DoombatINC posted:

Oberon is my poster boy for frames that start underripe but get better with time and effort. I find that Loki also takes some loving to get him where he should be but, oh my, he's so worth it :swoon:

I feel stupid for asking this, since I've asked in game, but I still don't quite get Oberon. Like, I understand that Hunter Adrenaline and Phoenix Renewal work well together and that's cool for your team and sentinels, but what else should you prioritise stat wise? What about actually playing him, do you just use 2 when you'll be somewhere for a little, and 4 for CC, or are there more tricks to him?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Harrow posted:

Are Prime warframes something you find blueprints for/craft the same way as regular warframes, or do you need platinum for them or anything like that? Prime weapon variants look like they're just higher-MR versions (I think) but I don't fully understand the relationship between a frame and its Prime version (aside from the fact that the Prime version has slightly better stats and different mod slot polarity).
Prime warframes have their components drop from void relics; the wiki can probably explain it better than I can.

Prime warframes (and weapons) are generally just all-around better than their non-prime counterparts. Usually have an extra polarity or two to start, slightly better shield/damage/crit chance/etc., ranging up to significantly improved in some cases.

Flavor-wise, prime gear is recovered from the Orokin era, rather than being post-Orokin Tenno recreations.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Footnote on primed stuff: they are always across the board better (higher numbers) but never so much better as to be mandatory.

For example there is nothing a Frost Prime can do that regular Frost can't.

They do, however, count as an entirely separate pool of mastery rank.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Harrow posted:

Are Prime warframes something you find blueprints for/craft the same way as regular warframes,

Damaged mods definitely confused me. I'm assuming they're there so the player can have some useful early mods but still feel the push to search for the "real" versions of those mods once you're out of the tutorial? I dunno.

prime frame blueprints can be traded or sold for plat, but it's not required. You craft them the same way you craft regular frames but you get the blueprints and part BPs differently. What you do is open the appropriate relics doing fissure missions. Open the relic, hope RNG gives you the reward you want, repeat until you get all the parts, craft the frame. relic missions are a little weird at first but they're the primary source of prime parts. the key thing to remember is that you can pick any reward from the list at the end - so always do them in a squad of 4 to have 4 possible rewards to pick from.

damaged mods are dumb but you're right about them too. here's a lovely version of something you probably want the good version of, but good luck getting it! I still don't have an undamaged Equilibrium.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 21, 2018

sausage paddy
Feb 25, 2009

Khaba posted:

I accidentally brought an Opticor to the Kela fight, and maybe it's ok with punchthrough but I was drat near useless for hitting the mini game and her.

I feel stupid for asking this, since I've asked in game, but I still don't quite get Oberon. Like, I understand that Hunter Adrenaline and Phoenix Renewal work well together and that's cool for your team and sentinels, but what else should you prioritise stat wise? What about actually playing him, do you just use 2 when you'll be somewhere for a little, and 4 for CC, or are there more tricks to him?

Power over everything, activate his 3 and dive right into the center of the bullets. Use rage/hunter adrenaline for energy regen, 2 for the armor boost, 4 to CC if you're taking damage too quickly and need a breather to regenerate, phoenix renewal as a safety. You can use a decaying dragon key to gimp his shields and get that energy regen faster, just remember to take it off if you switch frames. I would say 200%+ power is a minimum to get your regen going fast enough.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

gaj70 posted:

Put differently, is the Boltor Prime ("mastery rank increased from 2 to 14") top tier again?

Boltor Prime is pretty good, it has high status chance and you can toss Heavy Caliber on there without losing much accuracy. Tolos Boltor can crank out much more damage with a Bladed Rounds crit build, though. Both have an annoying 'put cryo rounds here' polarity slot in the top left.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Psion posted:

prime frame blueprints can be traded or sold for plat, but it's not required. You craft them the same way you craft regular frames but you get the blueprints and part BPs differently. What you do is open the appropriate relics doing fissure missions. Open the relic, hope RNG gives you the reward you want, repeat until you get all the parts, craft the frame. relic missions are a little weird at first but they're the primary source of prime parts. the key thing to remember is that you can pick any reward from the list at the end - so always do them in a squad of 4 to have 4 possible rewards to pick from.

I was going to ask why you'd want to do them in a squad but then I checked the wiki that Elysiume linked and that answered that :v:

Are void relics/void fissure missions sort of like the special endgame maps/portals that games like Path of Exile and Diablo 3 have? Or, y'know, roughly equivalent.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

sausage paddy posted:

Power over everything, activate his 3 and dive right into the center of the bullets. Use rage/hunter adrenaline for energy regen, 2 for the armor boost, 4 to CC if you're taking damage too quickly and need a breather to regenerate, phoenix renewal as a safety. You can use a decaying dragon key to gimp his shields and get that energy regen faster, just remember to take it off if you switch frames. I would say 200%+ power is a minimum to get your regen going fast enough.

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. Looks like I need way more power.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

sausage paddy posted:

Armour boost on the 2? Wasn't aware it did anything like that.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Psion posted:

I still don't have an undamaged Equilibrium.

I didn't even realize damaged Equilibrium was A Thing. The real one only drops from Lephantis.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Harrow posted:

I was going to ask why you'd want to do them in a squad but then I checked the wiki that Elysiume linked and that answered that :v:

Are void relics/void fissure missions sort of like the special endgame maps/portals that games like Path of Exile and Diablo 3 have? Or, y'know, roughly equivalent.

Not endgame at all, they cover pretty much all of the map.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Tylana posted:

Armour boost on the 2? Wasn't aware it did anything like that.

His 2 interacts with both 3 and 4. With his 3 running, stepping on 2 at any time gives you an armor buff that lasts as long as 3 is running. If enemies are standing on his 2 when they're hit by 4, they take a considerable armor loss.

And don't discount his 1, it's both solid crowd control and fairly lethal even at high levels thanks to its scaling.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

It does look like they're lifting some concepts from Diablo 3 rifts for the new dark sector stuff they've got coming, though. It seems like it could be cool, I hope the rewards don't suck.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Harrow posted:

There used to be Trials, where 8 players would go through a set of missions, but those just got shut down. They're going to be replaced by something where you have a time limit and you try to get as deep as possible into a series of high level missions.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Harrow posted:

No. They're more-or-less regular missions where void fissures ("big glowy yellow things") randomly turn enemies corrupted like you'll see in the void. Sometimes those corrupted enemies drop reactant. Grab 10 reactant, you open the relic. Complete the mission after grabbing 10 reactant, you get something out of the relic at the end. If you do, say, a fissure capture or something it's possible to complete in 3 minutes and it's no more difficult than a standard capture.

some fissure missions are endless, like defense and excav, where you can basically chain open relic after relic. For excav you need 200 cryotic per 'cycle' to crack a relic and you can keep going as long as you like, that kinda thing. Don't pub endless fissure missions.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Harrow posted:

You get relics as rewards from running regular missions; you probably have a couple in your inventory already if you've been playing for a bit.

The fissures are regular mission types (exterminate, intercept, defence, etc), but enemies get 'corrupted' by fissures and when you kill them they drop reactant. You pick a relic before heading in the mission, and then you collect 10 of those reactants and when the round ends your relic opens and you can pick your reward.

They can vary in difficulty depending on the relic tier; Lith relics can be lvl 5-10 missions while Axi relics run 40-45 for example.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

DoombatINC posted:

And don't discount his 1, it's both solid crowd control and fairly lethal even at high levels thanks to its scaling.

Smite absolutely butchers Sortie 3 bosses like Kela. Always fun to see pubbies utterly confused when she lands and immediately takes off again.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Harrow posted:

Hek at MR4. Closer to how shotguns work in real life than most video game shotguns.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Maxwell Adams posted:

There used to be Trials, where 8 players would go through a set of missions, but those just got shut down. They're going to be replaced by something where you have a time limit and you try to get as deep as possible into a series of high level missions.
Those're gone already? Time flies, I forgot to do Jordas. Whoops.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh right, the Dark Sector things that have apparently been announced seem much more similar to the Diablo 3 rifts/PoE maps I was thinking of than the void fissure stuff.

Thanks for being so patient with my dumb questions. People so far have been really good at explaining things to me as a new player which helps a lot with the initial complexity.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Rainuwastaken posted:

Smite absolutely butchers Sortie 3 bosses like Kela. Always fun to see pubbies utterly confused when she lands and immediately takes off again.

I was using it during the pre-archwing boss phase while grinding for Atlas - it would dissolve him into radioactive goop inconveniently fast :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

It's loving beautiful.

Also, usable on Bow-only sorties! =D

(And this is why I have trouble justifying doing anything with Baza.)