Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The Heathers pilot was pretty good and the season preview at the end was promising.

Also the gently caress me gently with a chainsaw line made it in :neckbeard:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That line was so edgy when I was 14

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought the Heathers pilot was substantially worse than the trailer, and that takes doing :shrug:

Gimme a Pump Up the Volume remake

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

Gimme a Pump Up the Volume remake

He would just have a podcast in 2018.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

nate fisher posted:

In 1990 they brought you Pump Up The Volume

In 2018 they bring you It's All About The Views

In Arizona, an extroverted and idiotic teenager, Mark Hunter (Logan Paul), finds an outlet for his shipposting through a vlog series. recording as "Hard Harry," Hunter uses his vlog to encourage injustices and take part of the hypocrisies taking place in the area, and in society in general. Hunter conceals his off-air identity, but a determined student (Pewdiepie) doxxes him, while Principal Creswood (Zuckerberg) seeks to demonetize Hunter once and for all.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 21, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nate fisher posted:

Yeah, but that might not be terrible!

I used to DJ at a pirate radio station, and I'm so sad that pirate Internet stations never really took off. :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PUTV was great so I’d be super pissed if they tried to modernize it and did a lovely job.

Hell just have Christian Slater reprise the role, I’ll buy into the fact he’s 17.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh man they're making an LA Confidential TV show! And Walton Goggins is starring in the Spacey role from the film! Aaaaandddddd it's on CBS :negative:

Also
https://twitter.com/JeffBezos/status/966312919079112705

That's uh, ambitious.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 21, 2018

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

zoux posted:

That's uh, ambitious.

Welp, that's going to be an extremely expensive failure. I don't want to say that the Culture novels are un-adaptable, but I'm highly skeptical about any take on this that doesn't originate from an extremely talented writer/showrunner. Amazon basically saying "This is a popular IP, let's do a series!" is just going to end in tears. Completely automated gay space communism tears.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
gently caress it, I’m in for a Culture series. I love those books.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

kaynorr posted:

Welp, that's going to be an extremely expensive failure. I don't want to say that the Culture novels are un-adaptable, but I'm highly skeptical about any take on this that doesn't originate from an extremely talented writer/showrunner. Amazon basically saying "This is a popular IP, let's do a series!" is just going to end in tears. Completely automated gay space communism tears.

Well I'm gonna give it a chance

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s not even like they’re doing it because it’s a popular IP. It doesn’t have a huge following, but with Sci-Fi people it’s very, very well loved so finding a show runner who’s passionate about it should absolutely be doable.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Netflix's Lost in Space reboot hits April 13th.

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/02/21/netflix-premieres-lost-in-space-april-13/

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Who's playing the doctor and does he throw creepy pedophile vibes like the 60s one?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Parker Posey.

Also, Cap'n Flint is the dad!

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 21, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It'll be interesting to see what they do seeing as the books don't have an overarching story or set of characters. If they really want to start out strong I would suggest they skip the first two books and go right to Use of Weapons. It's action filled and also has a character who gets introduced to the Culture so it would work as an entry point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

It'll be interesting to see what they do seeing as the books don't have an overarching story or set of characters. If they really want to start out strong I would suggest they skip the first two books and go right to Use of Weapons. It's action filled and also has a character who gets introduced to the Culture so it would work as an entry point.

https://twitter.com/tordotcom/status/966342736550023170

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

From the articles I've read, and it's pretty loose right now so it could go either way, it appears that they're only adapting Consider Phlebas and not the other books at all.

Amazon posted:

“The story of the Culture is so rich and captivating that for years Hollywood has been trying to bring this utopian society to life on the screen. We are honored that we have been chosen, along with Dennis Kelly and Plan B Entertainment, to make Consider Phlebas into a television series we think will be loved by fans for years to come.”

The exciting part here is Dennis Kelly, who did Utopia and Pulling.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Let us hope that Captain Flint gets some kind of space Jacket.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co3ImZ4BqX8

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If anything the LoS reboot should be pretty to look at. It was apparently filmed with a Red Weapon 8k camera.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How many k's will be enough for these resolution obsessed monsters

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Supersampling produces very high quality stuff. The workflow would only be 4k, but having an 8k capture allows you more flexibility (for example, cropping to reframe a subject after the fact.)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nobody cares about Amazon shows. I wish they would just release their shows on Netflix.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I care.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Nobody cares about Amazon shows. I wish they would just release their shows on Netflix.

:mad:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I meant to say nobody seems to watch the shows on whatever Amazon service. I remember there wasn't even a way to watch Amazon videos on Android phones until like last year.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Prime Video app was made available for Android in September of 2014.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
TV show I would enjoy: ultra-faithful adaptations of the Nero Wolfe novels produced by the Coen Brothers.

Unfortunately, John Goodman is now too skinny to play Wolfe. :(

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Open Source Idiom posted:

The exciting part here is Dennis Kelly, who did Utopia and Pulling.

So it'll get cancelled after one good season and one mediocre rehash of the first season?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

whowhatwhere posted:

So it'll get cancelled after one good season and one mediocre rehash of the first season?

Amazon has a sliiiiightly bigger budget than channel 4

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Mu Zeta posted:

They have some good stuff but god drat their UI is total poo poo. I don't really use it until one of y'all really recommends something and then maybe I'll open the app but it sure as heck isn't something I enjoy surfing through for content.

Also wasn't Amazon rumored to be looking into Larry Niven's Ringworld a year ago? I guess this scratches that itch.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Amazon Prime has a load of Rifftrax too but you'd never know unless you explicitly searched for it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

I meant to say nobody seems to watch the shows on whatever Amazon service. I remember there wasn't even a way to watch Amazon videos on Android phones until like last year.

I care about The Grand Tour. Not enough to leave my grandfathered free prime sub for it though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

IT pays for Amazon Prime at work for the quick shipping and I added myself as a family member, so yeah.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Amazon do enough good stuff for me to keep my Prime Video subscription up, like Mozart in the Jungle and Patriot. and hey I think Sneaky Pete is back next month. Transparent probably isn’t gonna be as good anymore with Solloway stepping back and no Tambor, but I’ll carry on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If we want to start talking numbers, researchers have come to the conclusion that around 45-55m Prime subscribers activity consume video content. True, that's less than half of Netflix's subscriber base, but those numbers are nothing to sneeze at and puts them quite a bit further ahead than Hulu.

To put that even further into perspective, that's about double Comcast's subscriber base.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Prime pays for itself in shipping so many times over every year, it's like they're paying me to watch their streaming service.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's really weird, if you watch stuff on the CW app you get a lot of ads for CW Seed shows. I was messing around on their website today and saw that all these shows they advertise have like 5 episodes and they're like 5-6 minutes long each. Seems like a lot of effort putting these ads together for not a lot of content.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, Prime is more than the video content. I imagine the amount they make off of sales dwarfs the amount they make on people who just want the media content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Also their 4k stuff looks amazing.