Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you stopped watching before Spring '04, you've missed 0% of all Simpsons references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

By the end of my life, the good seasons will be a rounding error in the overall episode count

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Good news, Santa's Little Helper, you'll have a healthy set of human twins!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The current midpoint of Simpsons episodes is January or February of '04.

Almost there, I stopped sometime in '05. Per Wikipedia, I think it was March 6

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The current midpoint of Simpsons episodes is January or February of '04.

holy poo poo

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Smirr posted:

This whole twitter thread owns:

https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/947325294716817408

It's reviews from snpp episode capsules making GBS threads all over classic episodes and "Homer's Enemy". Are we out of touch? No, it's the mid 90s usenet posters who are wrong

I mean, when every episode was going between A+ and A- for like 4 years, it's reasonable to think that people might see an A- as being a C- when they had no idea how far the simpsons would possibly sink to

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Sentient Data posted:

Good news, Santa's Little Helper, you'll have a healthy set of human twins!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yeah, steamed hams is a bad meme

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Data Graham posted:

Even toward the end of the "golden age" as a teenager I was noticing how the whole first act was often a completely throwaway setup story that had no bearing on the actual plot.

Is this not the model of a golden era Simpsons episode? Whatever happened at the opening was always an unrelated setup story. The Tomacco episode being a model. When they introduced an actual continuity and the show stopped being potentially the same day repeated over and over is when I lost interest. Because I always thought those were two of the most brilliant aspects of the show - the intro storyline had no relationship to the main plot, and no episode had any bearing on any other episode.

Nowadays people talk about the Skinner episode being the death knell for the show, but they literally make a joke at the end about how it will never be mentioned again.

I think the episode where Homer smokes weed with Flanders’ parents and Flanders hits him so Homer acts like a giant dickhole about it until Flanders feels guilty is the point where I actively started hating Zombie Simpsons.

Before then, it was the Lady Gaga (at that point I LIKED lady Gaga) episode that made me feel most ill inside.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, steamed hams is a bad meme

Die

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

The Tomacco episode is not golden age Simpsons. It's from season 11. I don't care if people include season 9 in the good seasons, even though they're wrong, but season 11 is without a doubt already poo poo territory.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

No, it's a painfully unfunny meme, like modern Simpsons episodes bad

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Iron Crowned posted:

Mods ban this fool for not understanding the Albany expression

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Iron Crowned posted:

Painfully unfunny, at this time of year, in this part of the country, localized entirely inside your posts

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

nb. steamed hams is from a decidedly "non-canon" or at least "unorthodox" type episode, one that does not follow the typical formula of Simpsons stories even during the era in which it appeared and which was designed to be as much of a goofy stunt episode as any of the Treehouses of Horror

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Data Graham posted:

nb. steamed hams is from a decidedly "non-canon" or at least "unorthodox" type episode, one that does not follow the typical formula of Simpsons stories even during the era in which it appeared and which was designed to be as much of a goofy stunt episode as any of the Treehouses of Horror

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Smirr posted:

The Tomacco episode is not golden age Simpsons. It's from season 11. I don't care if people include season 9 in the good seasons, even though they're wrong, but season 11 is without a doubt already poo poo territory.

my man

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
season 9 was still funny, but it was definitely a change in tone. homer buying snake's car and destroying the murder home was really cartoony and wacky, and it just wasn't quite right.

like yeah episodes in season 10 you could still laugh at, season 11. . .but you definitely noticed something wasn't right. it lost it's Charm.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Season 11 has the magical jockey elves episode, which was the breaking point of my Simpsons rewwtch. What an awful episode.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sid Vicious posted:

Painfully unfunny, at this time of year, in this part of the country, localized entirely inside your posts

lol

Literally laughing out loud at my phone at this

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pelosi de Bundi posted:

season 9 was still funny, but it was definitely a change in tone. homer buying snake's car and destroying the murder home was really cartoony and wacky, and it just wasn't quite right.

like yeah episodes in season 10 you could still laugh at, season 11. . .but you definitely noticed something wasn't right. it lost it's Charm.
I used to think that Season 10 was the last acceptable season, but I remembered wrong. It's actually Season 9. I read up on the episode descriptions for 10 on Wikipedia and essentially grunted "ugh" at each one. They were just plain bad.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

JazzFlight posted:

I used to think that Season 10 was the last acceptable season, but I remembered wrong. It's actually Season 9. I read up on the episode descriptions for 10 on Wikipedia and essentially grunted "ugh" at each one. They were just plain bad.

There are a couple I’ll rewatch when repeated, but there are definitely some cringeworthy episodes in that season. Kim Bassinger, the olympics and the Stephen Hawking ones are particularly bad.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JazzFlight posted:

Yeha, I skimmed that and you're right. I think that whenever I complete my collection it'll end at season 11 because all good shows need a couple of bad seasons and "Behind the Laughter" is a good end.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

JazzFlight posted:

if it's season 3-9, i'll watch any of them unless i just watched it. but lets see..

season 10 is markedly different

the wizard of evergreen terrace- i remember when this came out, and i thought it was funny. but i was also a lot younger. LE GRILL, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT is still funny but the episode itself is ehhh

bart the mother- this one wasn't that bad, and had more of a classic simpsons feel. it had that bart feels ashamed feeling like when he stole from the store and marge was disappointed in him.

dish upon a star-mehhhhhhhhh, the trend of lovely guest stars for no reason

the rest aren't even worth mentioning, except the japanese one.

gently caress, even some episodes in season 9 were getting weak

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Season 2 is a lot better than most people remember it, there are a lot of iconic episodes there

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Season 2 is a lot better than most people remember it, there are a lot of iconic episodes there

I was about to say that. I can understand skipping season 1 (although I disagree), but season 2 is great.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
season 2 is good but it's crude, there are some episodes that really shine tho, like when bart got hit by mr burns

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Pelosi de Bundi posted:

season 2 is good but it's crude, there are some episodes that really shine tho, like when bart got hit by mr burns

me reading this post:

that scene IS from season 2 btw

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Pelosi de Bundi posted:

bart the daredevil is like a top 5 episode

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Smirr posted:

me reading this post:

that's a really good scene

Maya Fey posted:

bart the daredevil is like a top 5 episode

ehh..it's hard because different episodes are going to be funnier to different people. like i think the Australian episode is a top 10 one but others might not.

xitl
Apr 29, 2014

I don't know what the lowest point is but the highest is the cartoon with the cats killing everything

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Smirr posted:

me reading this post:

Am I missing a joke? I thought that was from "Who Shot Mr. Burns?"

Anyway, I'll go until Season 12-13 before I crap out usually. Certainly 9 was the last season that had wall-to-wall A-grade episodes and there are some stinkers in 10-13 with increasing frequency, but there's still plenty of stuff that still gets a good laugh from me in those years.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Am I missing a joke? I thought that was from "Who Shot Mr. Burns?"

Whoops, no, brain fart on my end. Thought it was from Blood Feud for some reason

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pelosi de Bundi posted:

that's a really good scene

ehh..it's hard because different episodes are going to be funnier to different people. like i think the Australian episode is a top 10 one but others might not.

I think anyone who doesn't think that episode is hilarious deserves a booting

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Smirr posted:

me reading this post:

man remember when droppin' the big f-bomb was shocking

it's funny how that tangentially reminds me how The Simpsons used to be controversial. like, i remember having several friends whose parents explicitly forbade them from watching it, even at a friend's house. I remember one day being at one such friend's house and a fuckin' commercial for the show came on and his mom started yelling from across the house until we explained "no it's just a commercial"

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
the simpsons was pretty controversial back in the day; politicians didn't have much to do in the 80s/90s so they got really concerned about rap and tv and then eventually vidya games. imagine if mike pence called out bojack horseman in a speech (dan quayle did this re: murphy brown and it was nationally hilarious)

i was in elementary school when the simpsons first started airing, and my school had a ban on bart simpson t shirts, which were pretty popular at the time. and yeah, some of my friends' parents didn't let us watch it or talk about it ("they make too many bathroom jokes!") but my parents were rad. they even got me a bart shirt :dance:

now 30 years later here i am doing posts with you fine folks

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 22, 2018

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Bush Sr also said we should be more like the Waltons (the show not the billionaires) and less like the Simpsons.

The Waltons loving suck.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

:drat:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

also lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Irradiation posted:

Bush Sr also said we should be more like the Waltons (the show not the billionaires) and less like the Simpsons.

The Waltons loving suck.

drat i forgot all about that

at the time i remember asking my dad "who are the waltons?" and he just responded "it's a dumb old tv show" (he was right)