Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

TraderStav posted:

How about the adhesive. Is it a one-and-done application or is there an opportunity to reuse/replace it for placement in another vehicle? I'll be getting a new vehicle at some point this year and would need to remount it.

i've not tried remounting the charger. it comes with 2 bases, one taller than the other, both with 3M double sided sticky poo poo on them. Worst case scenario you can use the tall one in your current vehicle and the shorter one in the new one. Or, you can hit up amazon for some tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Im guessing Noodle meant the part where you have to update your email address with every bank, business, and person you communicate with via email.

I have a super lovely email address that I registered when I was 12 but I use it for everything. Haven't changed it all over to one of my other less lovely addresses for this reason.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Protocol7 posted:

I have a super lovely email address that I registered when I was 12 but I use it for everything. Haven't changed it all over to one of my other less lovely addresses for this reason.

I mean you don't need to change everything over all at once. Just forward from old-lovely-address to new-less-lovely-address and setup aliasing. At least in FastMail this is pretty easy. It's what I did when I dumped Gmail/Outlook.com. Everything GMail/Outlook.com points at FastMail, and over time, as I login to various places I update email addresses.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've had the same email address since 1998 and have worried about that too, but once I started collecting all my accounts into a keepass database I realized the list really wasn't that huge.

Sure there's a bunch of lovely forums or websites that require a login to do anything useful, but the list of actual important sites I need to run my life is really small. Like maybe 30 minutes of effort to update them all to a new email address if I ever need to.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Dick Nipples posted:

I mean you don't need to change everything over all at once. Just forward from old-lovely-address to new-less-lovely-address and setup aliasing. At least in FastMail this is pretty easy. It's what I did when I dumped Gmail/Outlook.com. Everything GMail/Outlook.com points at FastMail, and over time, as I login to various places I update email addresses.

I never said it was difficult. I'm just too drat lazy to do it. :v:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Has iOS gotten worse at links between apps or am I misremembering? I don’t remember having to hit extra confirmation windows just to use Facebook to sign into an app (app -> browser -> “open Facebook” -> Facebook -> app) and its kind of annoying when I use the google app to open a link in chrome and it has to reload the page it just had loaded. Maybe I use my phone differently than I did when I had an iPhone in 2014 but this is more annoying than I remember.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BottleKnight posted:

Has iOS gotten worse at links between apps or am I misremembering? I don’t remember having to hit extra confirmation windows just to use Facebook to sign into an app (app -> browser -> “open Facebook” -> Facebook -> app) and its kind of annoying when I use the google app to open a link in chrome and it has to reload the page it just had loaded. Maybe I use my phone differently than I did when I had an iPhone in 2014 but this is more annoying than I remember.

It’s to prevent hijacking. You’ll get used to it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Speaking of which, how do popups in Safari open up things in the App Store? Is that what hijacking is, or is it something else?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Today I found out that signing out of icloud is not only annoying, but with lots of unforseen consequences. This is not a minor troubleshooting step anymore. I'm sure everyone else knows this but it's been a long time since I've had to sign out of icloud on my own device.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Biodome posted:

If he replaced the battery Apple will deny service on it.
Oh. I figured if the replacement battery wasn't OEM then the issue would be kinda obvious.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rick posted:

Today I found out that signing out of icloud is not only annoying, but with lots of unforseen consequences. This is not a minor troubleshooting step anymore. I'm sure everyone else knows this but it's been a long time since I've had to sign out of icloud on my own device.

Yeah, it can be a GIGANTIC pain in the rear end.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
IT WAS MY WATCH CHANGING THE VOLUME.

Thanks guys.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

anyone using gmail app? how do you like it?

really not a fan of Outlook: i know it's this threads favorite

email (which I guess is called email - email by edison now) is what I've been using but curious to try something new. Didn't the mail.app get a lot better over the last few years?

I use gmail/hotmail

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mail.app is fine. Doesn't do push for gmail but you can always just set your gmail to forward to an iCloud if you're arsed.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Mail.app is fine. Doesn't do push for gmail but you can always just set your gmail to forward to an iCloud if you're arsed.

drat still? Kind of a deal breaker. I think there's other janky fixes but yeah

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Endless Mike posted:

I thought they changed this

They will work on devices that have third party screens now but unauthorized battery modification will still get declined.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Over There posted:

IT WAS MY WATCH CHANGING THE VOLUME.

Thanks guys.
A tip: if you cover the watch face to turn off the screen, rather than letting it time out, it’ll go back to the watch face (i.e. the Now Playing app will lose focus).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just realised the AirPort Express I've had lying in a box for two years has Airplay built in, hooked it up to my home speakers and :aaaaa:

Being able to control the music with the watch and Siri is so cool.
Forget the HomePod, you can get these things secondhand for like €40!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is there any way to turn off the "iPhone is disabled for 1/5/15/etc minutes" that happens when you enter your passcode wrong too many times in a row? I find myself in a prank war with some co-workers wherein if you ever leave your phone unattended at your desk, you can be sure to come back to find it disabled. The most I've ever gotten anyone for was 5 minutes, but one of them got me for 15 the other day. I don't know what comes after 15, and frankly I don't care to find out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Put your phone in your pocket

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Enable erase data at the bottom of settings -> touchid & passcode. You won’t get lockouts anymore.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

anyone using gmail app? how do you like it?

really not a fan of Outlook: i know it's this threads favorite

email (which I guess is called email - email by edison now) is what I've been using but curious to try something new. Didn't the mail.app get a lot better over the last few years?

I use gmail/hotmail

Gmail app works just fine.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I prefer Inbox, having advertisements filtered to a folder I can ignore is pretty handy.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I use the Apple black leather case for my iPhone 7 Plus, and am looking for a dock or charging station. Any recommendations for listening to music/charge/use as an alarm or with a clock app?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lelandjs posted:

I prefer Inbox, having advertisements filtered to a folder I can ignore is pretty handy.

Yeah this is what I use. Proper push notifications but only for important emails.

Wish they would loving update with an iPhone X layout though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Yeah inbox is my favorite by far.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

lelandjs posted:

Same. Just wish they'd update for the X :(

astral
Apr 26, 2004

lelandjs posted:

Haven't used Inbox; is that significantly different from stuff getting filtered to the Promotions tab?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

astral posted:

Haven't used Inbox; is that significantly different from stuff getting filtered to the Promotions tab?

It's pretty much the same, but Inbox handles it a little better. You have a promos label that's less a tab and more a fold, and when you click the fold it opens up and you can see everything in it. From there, you can click a checkmark and make the whole folder go away or fold back out and just swipe all the promos away.

It's honestly not a whole lot different from regular gmail, it just offers a much better-laid-out set of tools for getting down to inbox zero easily. I very rarely have any emails sitting in my box for more than a day, and I'm not even that anal about it. Inbox just makes it easy.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I like Spark. It’s the most faithful Mailbox clone I’ve tried.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Put your phone in your pocket

Once it can charge in my pocket I won’t have this problem anymore :(

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
You could tell your coworkers to grow up and leave your personal things alone?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Wow. I’m all for fun offices and have worked at startups the majority of my career but if you started loving with my phone I’d be laying down some ground rules fast.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Have you considered working in an office with adults, OP?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I once had to touch a coworker's phone when he was out to silence an obnoxious ringer that sounded like a fire alarm that would not stop going off. Even still, I let it go for 5 minutes first, and told him the second he got back. Because you just don't gently caress with people's stuff.

Your office sucks

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

lelandjs posted:

I know this is phone talk but I hate those stupid Gmail categories so much. When I left gmail that feature of categories wasn’t a thing. Now I have gmail for work.

I ended up making a catch all filter that forcibly removes the categories on all incoming mail. Motherfucker, I know what I want things categorized as and gmail does not - it fucks up way more than it should.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Dick Nipples posted:

I know this is phone talk but I hate those stupid Gmail categories so much. When I left gmail that feature of categories wasn’t a thing. Now I have gmail for work.

I ended up making a catch all filter that forcibly removes the categories on all incoming mail. Motherfucker, I know what I want things categorized as and gmail does not - it fucks up way more than it should.

Ya know you can turn the categories off entirely? Inside Gmail, click the Gear/Settings icon, then Configure Inbox, uncheck all the categories. The tabs will disappear, and all the email that was in them will be moved back into your inbox. No need to make filters to get around them. :D

stevewm fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 22, 2018

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is there a consensus recommendation for a podcast app? The iOS Podcasts app is offensively bad.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

andrew smash posted:

Is there a consensus recommendation for a podcast app? The iOS Podcasts app is offensively bad.

Overcast 👍🏻

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Casts is p. good