Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Most strategy games with a lot of options will spread the options out into a few categories like Game Options, Map Options, Victory Conditions, Threats and so on that need to be clicked on to see them when starting a new game as to not overwhelm or clutter the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gyrotica posted:

You just failed the Rhys-Davies test.

I got to meet John Rhys-Davies a couple months ago, and I asked him the most pressing question about Sliders: Was it real Arturo or alt-Arturo who was traveling with the group for the last half of his last season?

His answer: The smart one. It was unsatisfying, as answers go.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Laboratory mode in Total Warhammer II shows that their can never be enough sliders.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

Most strategy games with a lot of options will spread the options out into a few categories like Game Options, Map Options, Victory Conditions, Threats and so on that need to be clicked on to see them when starting a new game as to not overwhelm or clutter the screen.

Yeah, it should probably get split into a few standard options, that always appear, and an "Advanced Setting" sub screen.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GunnerJ posted:

If there's one thing I don't like about hyperlanes, it's that you can see the whole galaxy-wide network of them right from the start. I get that this makes sense from a gameplay standpoint but personally I'd like it if you have to at least travel to a system before discovering where its hyperlanes lead to. But I get that this is probably better for a mod than core game design.

I really, really, really like this idea and hope that at some point it's an option.

Wiz posted:

Maintaining multiple implementations of the same feature in the codebase is not a good idea. Plus, axing the other types allowed us to consolidate pathfinding/sensor code and improve performance via caching.

Look at this guy tightening up his code and implementing best practices to ensure the long term stability of his game. Clearly somebody knows nothing about game development.

I've said it before, but thanks again Wiz for having the confidence to make such a major change and follow through with it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Stellaris - Make it a slider, No. 1

Stellaris: it's sliders all the way down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, it should probably get split into a few standard options, that always appear, and an "Advanced Setting" sub screen.

Yeah this would be the best option. Keep the basic sliders on new game creation like galaxy size, rival empires, and so on, then have an "advanced" tab with like 100 sliders, many with their own sub tabs with more sliders.

If I could recommend a single new slider it would be a "fleet size" slider that multiplied fleet power but divided naval and fleet capacity. So you could play where a typical mid game fleet could have 100 ships in it, or alternatively one where a typical mid game fleet only has 10 or so. Some people want to play with huge impressive swarms of ships, but I've always wanted a small enough fleet where I can actually name and "get to know" a lot of them.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 21, 2018

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

ConfusedUs posted:

I got to meet John Rhys-Davies a couple months ago, and I asked him the most pressing question about Sliders: Was it real Arturo or alt-Arturo who was traveling with the group for the last half of his last season?

His answer: The smart one. It was unsatisfying, as answers go.

I'm going to assume you're entirely honest here, because what a perfect answer. :allears:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thyrork posted:

I'm going to assume you're entirely honest here, because what a perfect answer. :allears:

100% honest

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Slider? But I barely even know her!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah this would be the best option. Keep the basic sliders on new game creation like galaxy size, rival empires, and so on, then have an "advanced" tab with like 100 sliders, many with their own sub tabs with more sliders.
Jokes on us, the new game start screen is just a collage of tiny burgers.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Space Skeleton posted:

Yeah, almost none of the "space geography" from the show makes sense with warp drive even if you keep the galaxy "flat" like Stellaris. Going hyperlane for gameplay's sake in Stellaris could make a lot of the space geography from the series actually work.

Then if you look at how three dimensional our galaxy really is it makes even less sense.

The show makes perfect sense when you keep in mind that warp drives need fuel and most ships cannot simply refuel themselves in transit. As a result the availability of fuel sources would significantly limit travel through regions where infrastructure to supply ships had not or could not be established.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Stellaris: More like HyperLAME!!!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

The show makes perfect sense when you keep in mind that warp drives need fuel and most ships cannot simply refuel themselves in transit. As a result the availability of fuel sources would significantly limit travel through regions where infrastructure to supply ships had not or could not be established.

Also, Star Trek Warp is rather slow when compared to Stellaris, where you could traverse the entire galaxy in short order. There's a reason the Enterprise was on a five-year mission instead of on a fifty-year one. :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

Also, Star Trek Warp is rather slow when compared to Stellaris, where you could traverse the entire galaxy in short order. There's a reason the Enterprise was on a five-year mission instead of on a fifty-year one. :v:
Except for how Kirk has been to both the centre and edge of the galaxy :thunk:

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
I never understood the complaint that hyperspace lanes are "unrealistic".

I don't see how it's any less realistic than having drives that can travel in any direction, yet only being able to visit a maximum of 1000 star systems in a galaxy full of hundreds of billions of them for some unexplained reason.

Hyperlanes are the only FTL type that makes the concept of "borders" in space make any sense at all.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Theres a reason Freespace is one of the best sci fi universes. If my game isn't looking like a knock-off node map then whats the point?

Subspace Node me up, Paradox.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

VirtualStranger posted:

I never understood the complaint that hyperspace lanes are "unrealistic".

I don't see how it's any less realistic than having drives that can travel in any direction, yet only being able to visit a maximum of 1000 star systems in a galaxy full of hundreds of billions of them for some unexplained reason.

Hyperlanes are the only FTL type that makes the concept of "borders" in space make any sense at all.

It's because those 1000 stars are the only ones with anything more than dust orbiting them

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's because those 1000 stars are the only ones with anything more than dust orbiting them
All your games are running simultaniously on the non-intersecting hyperlane networks of the same galaxy.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Except for how Kirk has been to both the centre and edge of the galaxy :thunk:

And yet, Janeway's quest to come back home from just another part of the galaxy was supposed to be "75 years" at max warp speed. (Comedy answer: That movie doesn't exist and Kirk never was in the galactic centre. :colbert: )

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Westminster System posted:

Theres a reason Freespace is one of the best sci fi universes. If my game isn't looking like a knock-off node map then whats the point?

this is exactly it. the more i can pretend i'm playing freespace 2 the better.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i like to think that pitch meeting involved the shat passionately saying that he gets to kill god in this one

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Westminster System posted:

This gave me a great idea.

Wiz please add a superweapon that can destroy a hyperlane between systems.

We can finally punish the filthy xenos by cutting them off from the rest of the galaxy! :black101:

Discoverable hyperlanes also sounds neat but I'm guessing it'd be a big change.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So question outta nowhere: I'm actually a bit hype for Apocalypse, but to get The Full Stellaris Experience with the update, is Apocalypse the only expansion I need to purchase or should I also pick up Utopia, Synthetic Dawn and Leviathans? Note that I own the base version of Stellaris from launch but didn't play it much.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

SpaceDrake posted:

So question outta nowhere: I'm actually a bit hype for Apocalypse, but to get The Full Stellaris Experience with the update, is Apocalypse the only expansion I need to purchase or should I also pick up Utopia, Synthetic Dawn and Leviathans? Note that I own the base version of Stellaris from launch but didn't play it much.

I mean, you kind of answered your own question here.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SpaceDrake posted:

Utopia and Leviathans are excellent. Synthetic Dawn is also great but whether it's worth it depends on how much you want to play as robots.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SpaceDrake posted:

Utopia and Leviathans are mandatory imo. Synthetic Dawn is good but almost entirely centered on robot empires so if you dont want to play one of those its pretty content light.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

So what's going to happen to Star Trek: New Horizons without warp drives, anyone know? Is a new version in the works or what? Because that mod rules and I'd rather avoid the update and keep playing it than go 2.0 and lose it tbh

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah FTL is unrealistic, period. The whole hyperlane thing can easily be hand-waved away as some dark-matter web between gravity wells (a real thing) that some how facilitates FTL in certain rare cases, hence only a few hundreds stars in the galaxy are usable. It also, most importantly, makes the game actually fun and the map meaningful.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Gyrotica posted:

I mean, you kind of answered your own question here.

I should've rephrased: I was wondering more how worth it folks considered the other three, or if you could just pick up Apocalypse and get on down.

It sounds like consensus is "pick up Utopia and Leviathans for sure", though. Thanks thread!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

thorsilver posted:

So what's going to happen to Star Trek: New Horizons without warp drives, anyone know? Is a new version in the works or what? Because that mod rules and I'd rather avoid the update and keep playing it than go 2.0 and lose it tbh

Wonderful news. You can keep playing New Horizons on the old version and still have access to 2.0 too!

If they update New Horizons for 2.0, they'll either try to hack in a new solution or just go with hyperlanes. Go with hyperlanes would make for a far more star trek experience.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

turn off the TV posted:

Remember the time Data got command of a ship when the Federation instituted a blockade so that the Romulans couldn't covertly support Lursa and Be'tor (sp?) in the Klingon civil war. With the blockade fleet consisting of something like 26 ships? How does that make any kind of sense in the three dimensions of space?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

thorsilver posted:

From their Discord:

quote:

The full patch notes for Stellaris 2.0 have finally been revealed (link below). While we can't announce a release date for the compatibility patch, naturally, you can expect the entire STNH team is working to release it as soon as possible. 2.0 is a major patch that is changing the base game, and thus STNH, quite a bit - but we are excited about the new possibilities it offers. You can expect 2.0 to release in a week, with the STNH patch releasing as soon as possible afterwards.

Looks like they're not too upset.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Just handwave it as subspace being a mostly turbulent place, with only certain avenues being safe for warp travel. :v:

Gateways seem like a pretty great stand-in for Borg transwarp conduits.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

SpaceDrake posted:

I should've rephrased: I was wondering more how worth it folks considered the other three, or if you could just pick up Apocalypse and get on down.

It sounds like consensus is "pick up Utopia and Leviathans for sure", though. Thanks thread!

Machine empires are really cool though, and have the best voice.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Gyrotica posted:

From their Discord:

Looks like they're not too upset.

Awesome :) I'll happily play the 1.91 version then until they update for 2.0. I agree hyperplanes kind of make more sense for Trek, anyway, so I'm looking forward to what they can do with the new features!

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Aethernet posted:

Machine empires are really cool though, and have the best voice.

This is no joke. I have a hard time not playing machines now because I love the playstyle so much (gently caress food bro)

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
I hope there are some new events in 2.0 but I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Wiz posted:

Maintaining multiple implementations of the same feature in the codebase is not a good idea. Plus, axing the other types allowed us to consolidate pathfinding/sensor code and improve performance via caching.

Of course, the other programmers in this thread understand the real reason: the act of deleting gobs of unused code induces the most pleasurable high a developer can feel, rivalled only by correctly naming a variable.

• Locked thread