Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Does it count as seeing the animal if you witness a Druid shapeshift into it? That could be a fun campaign quirk: an animal recently went extinct and only a handful of druids pass on its form as a legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
A whole Wizard school of Xenobiology that studies how bodies go together and then sends Wizards to random towns to produce illusions of fantastic, yet physically viable, creatures.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

SettingSun posted:

Does it count as seeing the animal if you witness a Druid shapeshift into it? That could be a fun campaign quirk: an animal recently went extinct and only a handful of druids pass on its form as a legacy.

The town were based in has an old druid living in it and I asked him to turn into a bunch of wicked stuff for documentation purposes and the dm shut it down immediately.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Wow, that sucks. Your DM sounds like a pretty obnoxious dick from everything you've said about them so far especially with regards to how you gotta earn the right to have fun with your basic class feature.

How many martials does your party have, and how often do they have to roll like 3 or 4 times to accomplish anything beyond "swing sword, stab stuff"? :v:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
the point of the "see the animal" rule is to hear the cool story of how they saw every animal

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I had a Druid in a game once and he asked about the “must have seen the animal before” rule. I told him if he could invent a plausible scenario in the past where he came across it I’d let him turn into it. I figured that’s what most people do?

E: Basically what he ^^^ said.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I'm sorry, but since you studied that bear in captivity it doesn't count. You're hunting instinct and natural endurance is gone and all you gain is a hairy rear end. Ok, sure, the ability to balance a ball on your nose gives you proficiency in Acrobatics.

:smugwizard:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

the point of the "see the animal" rule is to hear the cool story of how they saw every animal

well, I went down to Shelbyville to see the griffins, except they weren't called griffins back then, they were called "half eagles". Two half eagles to a chimera, I used to say. Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah the griffins...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

also my characters hit level 8 and my druid thinks there aren't any flying CR 2 monsters, but volo's has the Quetzalcoatlus which is Huge, 80 ft fly speed, doesn't produce opportunity attacks if its flying.

I'm tempted not to tell him but I think it'll be fine :shrug:. They have access to much more absurd things with polymorph.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Dragonatrix posted:

Wow, that sucks. Your DM sounds like a pretty obnoxious dick from everything you've said about them so far especially with regards to how you gotta earn the right to have fun with your basic class feature.

I was clearly attempting to game the system there. Though he does play in three different 5e games so there's clearly some brain damage in there.

Dragonatrix posted:

How many martials does your party have, and how often do they have to roll like 3 or 4 times to accomplish anything beyond "swing sword, stab stuff"? :v:

How did you your dm hurt you. You can tell us here, you're safe.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cat Face Joe posted:

The town were based in has an old druid living in it and I asked him to turn into a bunch of wicked stuff for documentation purposes and the dm shut it down immediately.
I would say no to this also. I explicitly said no to counting animals that he conjured as well. I take a pretty hard line there - no getting out of telling the cool story from your past.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I would say no to this also. I explicitly said no to counting animals that he conjured as well. I take a pretty hard line there - no getting out of telling the cool story from your past.

here''s my cool story from the past: i met a guy who conjured animals and looked at them. can i move on now

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Both my parents was killed during a childhood trip to the Zoo and as a result I remember the hell out of some brutal animals

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Ignite Memories posted:

Both my parents was killed during a childhood trip to the Zoo and as a result I remember the hell out of some brutal animals

I can't wait to see the look on your face when the villain is unmasked to reveal the chaotic evil zookeeper from your past.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Finster Dexter posted:

I can't wait to see the look on your face when the villain is unmasked to reveal the chaotic evil zookeeper from your past.

who the hell visits a chaotic evil zoo?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Elfgames posted:

who the hell visits a chaotic evil zoo?

bad parents

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My character: Snowdrift the Drow, a warlock with Celestial Pact. Everyone was annoyed at how optimistic and goody-two-shoe he was as he grew up in evil Drow society. His parents had him become a Warlock, but then he somehoe made a pact with a Celestial instead of something normal like a Demon or Cthulhu and escaped to the surface where he can annoy everyone by being a super-kind doofus with a big smile.

Snowdrift isn't actually his name, it's just the nickname he got after humans failed to pronounce his Drow name correctly. He's fine with it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Let me tell you about the time I went to Jurassic Park...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Open Marriage Night posted:

Let me tell you about the time I went to Jurassic Park...
So there's this wizard, right? And we're at a party. Comes up he's never heard of owlbears. Someone starts describing them and he gets the real competitive look in his eye, and long story short that's how I know what a lion that shoots snakes looks like

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

here''s my cool story from the past: i met a guy who conjured animals and looked at them. can i move on now

pfft those are fey spirits in the form of animals, doesn't count :colbert:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Splicer posted:

So there's this wizard, right? And we're at a party. Comes up he's never heard of owlbears. Someone starts describing them and he gets the real competitive look in his eye, and long story short that's how I know what a lion that shoots snakes looks like

Fizzlewoop the Wizard, Winner 6 years straight of the Dungeon Club Chimera Show, has now appeared with....wow a bold choice! That is a legless lizard crossed with a slug that has beholder stalks for eyes!
Ah and the slime is, yes the slime creates a shortlived passwall effect! Top showing from the reigning champion

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

God I've hit a block planning out this campaign. I have the setting feel, the larger cosmology and some world events that hold things together, etc. but none of the characters and story beats. Like I've got Game of Thrones going on and I'm hitting a blank on what Joe Blow does as a pissant caught up in it.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Fizzlewoop the Wizard, Winner 6 years straight of the Dungeon Club Chimera Show, has now appeared with....wow a bold choice! That is a legless lizard crossed with a slug that has beholder stalks for eyes!
Ah and the slime is, yes the slime creates a shortlived passwall effect! Top showing from the reigning champion

Whelp I've just hit upon my mext whacky fun mini adventure. Going on a quest for a mad wizard of Thay who needs the party to help create the ultimate chimera to win the best in show at the annual Thayvian Wizards Convention.

Also any good tips for designing a duengon? Not the adventure just the duengon. Like number of rooms, encounters, traps, how to have good layouts, gimmicks or themeing

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Nehru the Damaja posted:

God I've hit a block planning out this campaign. I have the setting feel, the larger cosmology and some world events that hold things together, etc. but none of the characters and story beats. Like I've got Game of Thrones going on and I'm hitting a blank on what Joe Blow does as a pissant caught up in it.

What level is Joe Blow?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That Monsters-As-Races PDF on DMs Guild is well worth the $3. I did a short one shot tonight due to lack of players. We had: Bullywug Fighter, Naga Barbarian and Dryad Ranger. Very low key and short adventure but any session that has to stop due to fits of laughter is a good one.

I'll definitely be allowing the PDF in any future events, if not making it mandatory as a way to change up from our regular games. Maybe even a short campaign based on the Esper World in Final Fantasy 6...

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

What level is Joe Blow?

Probably level 2 (because gently caress level 1.) The difficulty is I'm trying a weird gimmick and it might be too ambitious and/or inherently contradictory: a noir campaign set in the Feywild.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Gridlocked posted:

Also any good tips for designing a duengon? Not the adventure just the duengon. Like number of rooms, encounters, traps, how to have good layouts, gimmicks or themeing

What kind of dungeon?

If it was something else before it was a dungeon:

0: Where is it? Let this inform the design process. Desert stuff and forest stuff might look pretty different.

1: Ask yourself what it used to be. Sketch out a map of that (not in 5' increments or whatever, just a sketch of a map/floorplan type thing).

2: Ask yourself why it was abandoned (or whatever) by the original occupants. Did it burn down? Fall to a lengthy siege? Overrun by big monsters? Flood? Volcano? Mudslide? Meteor strike? Did it just lose it's function somehow and it would have been an expensive pain in the arse to knock down? Was it simply poorly maintained and worn out?

3: gently caress your sketch map up based on the previous answer. Should be pretty obvious the stuff you'd do. Broken gates and walls for a siege. Silted up to the 1st floor windows by a flood. Back half is just a cooled lava flow now. Etc.

4: What happened after that? Did it sit abandoned for years, or was it used by other groups? Could be both! If it's been "abandoned" for 500 years, plenty of poo poo could have gone on. gently caress your sketch map up based on that. Maybe someone added stuff, or took stuff away? Maybe parts were re-enforced and other parts left to decay? Maybe the jungle has pulled all the mortar out and the whole thing's really just held together by vines now?

5: What's happened recently? (That is, "why is this place like it is when the PCs get there?") gently caress your sketch map up based on that.

6: Draw the map properly. Fill it with encounters and loot. Vague as hell, right? But it should be easy once you've got gone through all the previous steps.

E: More generally: I'd want an adventuring day's worth of encounters in there, so 6-8 areas with combats (and other stuff). Then I'd want some explore-y stuff, so another maybe 4 areas of interesting stuff that's not combat. It's ok to have a handful of areas that are there just to "be there" - that is, their function is to provide re-enforcement of the idea that this used to be something, but they don't really do anything on their own (eg: A castle has stables. There doesn't need to be anything to do in the stables, but if they weren't "destroyed" in the earlier parts of the design process, they should be there because a castle has stables. If that makes sense).

E2: "Areas", not "rooms". So the kitchen / scullery / laundry rooms might be "an area" which has a combat or noncombat encounter in it. "The Lord's Chambers" might be 3-4 rooms but 1 area to explore. I hope that makes sense.

E3: If it wasn't clear, part of the process is reducing (or expanding) whatever the place originally was into your ~10-12 adventuring areas. Like, a big castle might have 150 rooms in as-new condition, but you're loving the map up until you've got just the ones you want.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 22, 2018

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That Monsters-As-Races PDF on DMs Guild is well worth the $3. I did a short one shot tonight due to lack of players. We had: Bullywug Fighter, Naga Barbarian and Dryad Ranger. Very low key and short adventure but any session that has to stop due to fits of laughter is a good one.

I'll definitely be allowing the PDF in any future events, if not making it mandatory as a way to change up from our regular games. Maybe even a short campaign based on the Esper World in Final Fantasy 6...

Link?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/230312

It needs a couple editing passes and balance probably isn't going to happen. Every single monster from the manual is represented, even the Tarrasque.

Ineffable
Jul 4, 2012
How competitive is Shield Master on a paladin? I'm playing one in an upcoming game and I'd like to use a sword and shield, and I'm assuming Shield Master is the best way to pull that off. I mean, I'm sure it's worse than Polearm Master, but I'm hoping it's at least viable.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Ineffable posted:

How competitive is Shield Master on a paladin? I'm playing one in an upcoming game and I'd like to use a sword and shield, and I'm assuming Shield Master is the best way to pull that off. I mean, I'm sure it's worse than Polearm Master, but I'm hoping it's at least viable.

It's okay. I mean, you aren't going to have anything to do with your bonus actions (Shield of Faith cast at the start of the fight?), so it's a fair chance to give you and possibly your buddies advantage against any vulnerable foe. Actual effectiveness will come down to your party composition and the types of enemies you face, but I say it's generally worth the ASI spot if you're already making the call of not using PAM or GWM.

Ineffable
Jul 4, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's okay. I mean, you aren't going to have anything to do with your bonus actions (Shield of Faith cast at the start of the fight?), so it's a fair chance to give you and possibly your buddies advantage against any vulnerable foe. Actual effectiveness will come down to your party composition and the types of enemies you face, but I say it's generally worth the ASI spot if you're already making the call of not using PAM or GWM.

Fair enough. Are there any other feats worth considering for this type of character? Sentinel, maybe?

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Ineffable posted:

Fair enough. Are there any other feats worth considering for this type of character? Sentinel, maybe?

Polearm Master works with a one-handed quarterstaff plus a shield. A staff is kind of like a really round, blunt sword, right?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

You could also use a spear and shield, which would probably be a bit less silly.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Polearm master does not work with spears. It only sort of works with pikes, even.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Seriously? That is strange.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

cargohills posted:

Seriously? That is strange.

Says it right there in the feat's text. Works for glaives, halberds and quarterstaves.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think 5e's weapons might be the most lazily designed part of the game. Polearm master is strange and wonky (lots of things that you would expect qualify don't, and pikes only qualify for half of the feat), but two minutes looking at the weapon list just fills you with questions. Why is the mace just a worse quarterstaff? Why is the trident just a worse spear? Why is the war pick just a worse rapier? Why is the flail a worse warhammer?

It's miles away from being the most egregious problem in the game, but it really sticks out to me because of how obvious it is after anything more than a quick glance and how easy it would be to fix.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I'd go further and ask why mechanical properties of weapons related to their flavor at all? Choose any collection of properties from this list. Some require two hands. Then flavor the weapon however you want. Here are some ideas, ranging from simple to exotic".

So you'd have like:
2d6, two-handed
1d8/1d10, versatile
1d8, reach
1d6, light, finesse

Then you pick one, and say "my weapons are nunchaku from the mysterious east!" or whatever and use whichever set of properties make mechanical sense. There's no value in having identical weapons that are 1d6 vs 1d8, it's comical. Obviously it's the same complaint as always, the design process focused on feeling like d&d and respecting traditions over coherence, this one is just extra-silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
There's no reason for damage dice not to be tied to class and level rather than weapon.