Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

Remember the time Data got command of a ship when the Federation instituted a blockade so that the Romulans couldn't covertly support Lursa and Be'tor (sp?) in the Klingon civil war. With the blockade fleet consisting of something like 26 ships? How does that make any kind of sense in the three dimensions of space?

The fleet actually had 26 million ships, but the special effects budget ran out after ship no. 26

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

They had that helpful key at the bottom of the screen indicating that 1 ship = 1 million ships.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's because those 1000 stars are the only ones with anything more than dust orbiting them

"As of 1 February 2018, there are 3,728 confirmed planets in 2,794 systems, with 622 systems having more than one planet."

"About 1 in 5 Sun-like stars have an "Earth-sized" planet in the habitable zone. Assuming there are 200 billion stars in the Milky Way, one can hypothesize that there are 11 billion potentially habitable Earth-sized planets in the Milky Way, rising to 40 billion if planets orbiting the numerous red dwarfs are included."

:thunk:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

The invention of the hyperdrive causes all those extraneous earthlikes to blow up due to space global warming.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Unfortunately there are only 1,000 nodes in the hyperlane network, so we'll never get to visit most of those stars

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Is there a "real galaxy" mod that tries to roughly construct a game galaxy that conforms to what's known about the actual positions of stars or is such a thing so complex as to be a fool's errand?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GunnerJ posted:

Is there a "real galaxy" mod that tries to roughly construct a game galaxy that conforms to what's known about the actual positions of stars or is such a thing so complex as to be a fool's errand?

You could maybe do a tiny tiny little chunk of our local neighbourhood of a few hundred stars, but it would be hard to model in 2d and would need to abandon the "whole galaxy" background setup stellaris has.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

Elite dangerous shows that this is kinda unworkable.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

GunnerJ posted:

The galaxy has a hundred billion stars in it, it's just unworkable

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

There was a "Real Space" map in Sword of the Stars and it made playing the game terrible with a 350 star map. Everything was named properly, which meant a lot of initials and numbers.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I think the safest assumption is "this isn't our galaxy". It's a very tiny one.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

If you're interested in what it would look like for a game to try to accurately simulate our galaxy, Scott Manley did a video on the galaxy map and star names in Elite Dangerous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIrw5lydNKc

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

Elite dangerous shows that this is kinda unworkable.

I don't think it shows that it's unworkable, just that we don't actually know where all the stars are so almost all of them are procedurally generated. This leads to some amusing effects like occasional star cylinders where the Hubble happened to be pointing one day.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Aethernet posted:

I don't think it shows that it's unworkable, just that we don't actually know where all the stars are so almost all of them are procedurally generated. This leads to some amusing effects like occasional star cylinders where the Hubble happened to be pointing one day.

The star cylinders is because the angular resolution is much higher than the radial resolution.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I just realized that because of the new way borders work, the situation where a wanted planet isn't in your borders because "whoops it's actually really high up on the Z-axis" will be a thing of the past.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pigbuster posted:

I just realized that because of the new way borders work, the situation where a wanted planet isn't in your borders because "whoops it's actually really high up on the Z-axis" will be a thing of the past.

Yep, still getting whatever updated flat map mod comes out for 2.0 though, just don't like how it works.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Yeah I always use this one.

The height of a star relative to the galactic plane doesn't affect gameplay in any way, so those Z-axis lines really add nothing at all to the game other than ugly map clutter that serves no purpose.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Stellaris is set inside a poorly budgeted simulation, duh.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Abyss posted:

There was a "Real Space" map in Sword of the Stars and it made playing the game terrible with a 350 star map. Everything was named properly, which meant a lot of initials and numbers.

It was cool for seeing the canon locations for all the races though. Having fixed "historical" locations for empires adds a lot of flavor - it's one of the reasons the Star Trek mod is so good.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

It was cool for seeing the canon locations for all the races though. Having fixed "historical" locations for empires adds a lot of flavor - it's one of the reasons the Star Trek mod is so good.

The Star Trek mod is so hard for me to play. There's a billion habitable planets and the AI colonizes everything in like the first 50 years and I like to play tall and slow so I really don't like the pace of it. The tech tree is cool as hell though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

axeil posted:

This gave me a great idea.

Wiz please add a superweapon that can destroy a hyperlane between systems.

We can finally punish the filthy xenos by cutting them off from the rest of the galaxy! :black101:

Discoverable hyperlanes also sounds neat but I'm guessing it'd be a big change.

I always liked the idea that hyperlanes aren't something you discover but something you create, like dredging out a bay or digging a canal. Building the network takes plenty of time, but after that you're sailin'. Though in this case we're playing in an old universe so it's more rediscovering a previously built network.

Hey, there's an idea: a late-game discovery where you find the original hyperlane creation technology, enabling you to both destroy and build your own hyperlanes, literally redraw the roadmap.

Torrannor posted:

Remember the time Data got command of a ship when the Federation instituted a blockade so that the Romulans couldn't covertly support Lursa and Be'tor (sp?) in the Klingon civil war. With the blockade fleet consisting of something like 26 ships? How does that make any kind of sense in the three dimensions of space?

A blockade in 2D space is a line, a blockade in 3D space would be a circle. Which was pretty much what the diagram showed.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Demiurge4 posted:

The Star Trek mod is so hard for me to play. There's a billion habitable planets and the AI colonizes everything in like the first 50 years and I like to play tall and slow so I really don't like the pace of it. The tech tree is cool as hell though.

The main issue I have with it - although it's brilliant - is that when those billions of planets are colonised it slows to treacle.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I've been wondering about this for the last few days, somehow Apocalypse is not available to purchase for me, and I can't really figure out why. Anyone else have this problem? Is it just not up for pre-purchase maybe?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Randarkman posted:

I've been wondering about this for the last few days, somehow Apocalypse is not available to purchase for me, and I can't really figure out why. Anyone else have this problem? Is it just not up for pre-purchase maybe?

It's not up yet on Steam for pre-order. You can pre-order directly from Paradox if you want.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

It's not up yet on Steam for pre-order. You can pre-order directly from Paradox if you want.

That explains it. I was just thinking it'd be nice to have the game ready to play by the time I get off work tomorrow (which will be 2 hours after the patch is launched), but it probably won't be a problem I imagine, downloading and installing the patch will probably take longer than installing the DLC anyway.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

McSpanky posted:

A blockade in 2D space is a line, a blockade in 3D space would be a circle. Which was pretty much what the diagram showed.

That's not how geometry works. It would be a surface of some kind, maybe a flat plane or a sphere depending on what you're trying to blockade

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Randarkman posted:

That explains it. I was just thinking it'd be nice to have the game ready to play by the time I get off work tomorrow (which will be 2 hours after the patch is launched), but it probably won't be a problem I imagine, downloading and installing the patch will probably take longer than installing the DLC anyway.

I believe you can start the patch download/install from your phone with the Steam App, though I've never done it myself. You could buy the dlc then too, I suppose, but that shouldn't take long anyway.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Staltran posted:

I believe you can start the patch download/install from your phone with the Steam App, though I've never done it myself. You could buy the dlc then too, I suppose, but that shouldn't take long anyway.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Gekkoh
Jan 12, 2018

Just another
Squamata Gekkota

SpaceDrake posted:

I should've rephrased: I was wondering more how worth it folks considered the other three, or if you could just pick up Apocalypse and get on down.

It sounds like consensus is "pick up Utopia and Leviathans for sure", though. Thanks thread!

I played quite a bit when it first came out, then took a long break, and picked it back up after Synthetic Dawn was released. I just went ahead and got all the DLC at once then. I enjoyed the hell out of playing the different types of robots, and the end game crisis that came with it.

Then I installed the NSC Mod, and played a bunch more games with that, mostly for the bigger and more varied ship types (I'm an Eve player too, and making ship fits is a lot of fun for me... hell going all the way back to Warp Factor on the Apple ][+, I've loved the idea of customizing starships!)

Then the Apocalypse announcement came, and I wanted to play THAT so badly that I stopped alltogether, not wanting to burn out before hand.

My advice? Buy 'em all. It's a great game, lots of mods to extend the value, and I like all of the content so far.

Reminds me... I need to go pre-order.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Was thinking of pre-ordering to make sure I get it on release day but I got a tip that steam has tons in stock so we should be good.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Randarkman posted:

Wouldn't worry too much if you can't get it going beforehand, Paradox games are pretty small disc space wise, my guess is it'll only take a couple minutes unless you have a hella slow 'Net.

It's the 22nd in both Sweden and GMT, it's almost time babes!!

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 22, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Isn't it out at 6am PST?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Will this fancy new Stellaris change how sectors works? They always seemed to me to be an attempt to reduce micromanagement that failed because you have to babysit them anyway or they would do dumb things.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Baronjutter posted:

Isn't it out at 6am PST?

Yeah something like that. But what I meant was that it's The Day.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Will this fancy new Stellaris change how sectors works? They always seemed to me to be an attempt to reduce micromanagement that failed because you have to babysit them anyway or they would do dumb things.

sectors don't seem all that different directly but the fact that the new outpost system means that you can expand your borders independently of settling planets means you might feel less rushed to settle usable planets asap instead of waiting to raise your planet cap

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

Stellaris is set inside a poorly budgeted simulation, duh.

This event chain always makes me super sad.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
How soon can I play game plz wiz

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

We need a slider for the release time

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Zane posted:

this is exactly it. the more i can pretend i'm playing freespace 2 the better.

yeah no kidding

since we're talking on and off about freespace 2, I gotta say one thing i love about that game is the sound design. you could always tell by sound what beam weapons belonged to which race, and they made the shivan's beam cannons sound suitably threatening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm glad they added a hammer and sickle empire icon so i can make my first 2.0 empire based off of the tenets of fully automated luxury gay space communism

• Locked thread