Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Watching the first 2 ends of KOR/OAR, the Russian skip missed in end 1 with the hammer with a draw to the button by hitting a top 12 guard and she hit it half on. In end 2, she had another draw to the button and barely got it over the far hog line.

Turbogarbage.

edit: In end 3, another draw to the button, this time she managed to throw it short of the house AND the wrong line lol just lol

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Welp. :canada:

Guess I'm following Team Muirhead because Pitlochry makes great whiskey :scotland:

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
canada's curling performance has been loving bullshit this olympics, mens and womens

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

sleep with the vicious posted:

canada's curling performance has been loving bullshit this olympics, mens and womens

Mixed was pretty great though

Vakal
May 11, 2008

sleep with the vicious posted:

All the Canadian coaches that helped train the other teams should be hung for treason.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
That Matt Hamilton throw to clear the house just now in this USA game...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

That Matt Hamilton throw to clear the house just now in this USA game...
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

(I believe he missed his line)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Josh Lyman posted:

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

(I believe he missed his line)

Would explain why he looked so mad at himself after.

I don't even care, that ruled.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oof, gb hosed that one up

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
SHOOSTIE 2020

That was amazing, I thought they were going to just sink after GB stole 2 ends in a row there.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

:911:

Don't gently caress this up for us, Korea. :bahgawd:

Edit: :toot:

Theris fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 21, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/TeamUSA/status/966209977722523648

I AM HERE FOR THIS.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

shuster advanced?

hell has frozen over

Zeeman posted:

Mixed was pretty great though

https://twitter.com/LKLawes/status/964401224249307136

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Currently 13 rocks in play in the first end with the remaining 3 to come. What a mess.

Homan is yellow, Russia red with the hammer about to throw their last.

What the gently caress are you doing, Homan?

Just let them steal 8 in the 2nd, shake hands, and go home.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 21, 2018

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
USA Men plays with the strategy of let's see how bad of a position we can be in with 2 rocks left then hold my beer.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Powershift posted:

Currently 13 rocks in play in the first end with the remaining 3 to come. What a mess.

Lol what the gently caress

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Somehow Homan won the match, I have no idea how

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Elephanthead posted:

USA Men plays with the strategy of let's see how bad of a position we can be in with 2 rocks left then hold my beer.

It's always dramatic, at least.

But for real it was something I noticed, but wasn't sure about since this is the first time I've really watched every match. It seems like the US always puts themselves into a position where they absolutely have to make a shot even if they have the option to ostensibly set the opposing team up for the same thing. Whatever, if it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid I guess.

(The women's team seemed to do it too though and I guess it was stupid there because it didn't work.)

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 21, 2018

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

But for real it was something I noticed, but wasn't sure about since this is the first time I've really watched every match. It seems like the US always puts themselves into a position where they absolutely have to make a shot even if they have the option to ostensibly set the opposing team up for the same thing. Whatever, if it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid I guess.

The men's team is bad at strategy but (when they're on it like the last few matches, anyway) make their shots.

Inspector_666 posted:

(The women's team seemed to do it too though and I guess it was stupid there because it didn't work.)

The women are bad at strategy but do not make their shots.

Edit: Homan is on my list for getting good just long enough to beat the US and going back to sucking when we needed them to win. I mean sure, we could have just beaten Switzerland or Japan but I choose to blame Canada.

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 21, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zeeman posted:

Somehow Homan won the match, I have no idea how
This Russian team is very, very bad.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

looks like a Thursday night game

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Maybe it's time for Canada to move to a national team model instead of trial qualification. For the women, Japan was the only country with trial qualifications to make the top 4.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

HPL posted:

Maybe it's time for Canada to move to a national team model instead of trial qualification. For the women, Japan was the only country with trial qualifications to make the top 4.

That would be such a shift in how Canada treats curling in general. Also, I think it would be a bit of an overreaction to one result. Homan's rink went undefeated at the world championships last year.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
To a certain extent, Canadian teams already do a self selection process of sorts. Some at least. Koe's team was put together with two guys from Kevin Martin's team and one from Glen Howard's specifically for the four year run to the Olympics. Kerri Einarson (a top 10 world ranked skip) just dropped her current team and put together a team with Val Sweeting ( another top 10 world skip), Shannon Birchard (who replaced Lawes on team Jones for the Scotties), and Briane Meilleur. That's pretty much a super team, and if they stay together they should have a good shot at the next Olympics. (also Manitoba is now even more ridiculous with the new Einarson team, Jen Jones, and Tracy Fleury taking over Einarson's old team).

After the Brier and the mens and womens World Championships there could be some other teams breaking up and reforming. The emergence of mixed doubles might also impact some teams, as I could see some people trying to switch to that full time. John Morris already said he would if he could.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Korean women face Japan in the semifinals, the only team they lost to. Talk about poo poo luck.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the gb-swiss men's tiebreaker match is going on right now

swiss just had a nice knockout

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Josh Lyman posted:

Korean women face Japan in the semifinals, the only team they lost to. Talk about poo poo luck.

korea v japan in women's and usa v canada in men's for semifinal rematches should be fun as gently caress to watch

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

This end does not look promising for Team GB.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

gret posted:

This end does not look promising for Team GB.

Wow. That was an incredible shot from the Swiss skip to take 5 there.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
lol britain

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

thehoodie posted:

Wow. That was an incredible shot from the Swiss skip to take 5 there.

That shot was amazing

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Wow that Swiss shot! Threaded the needle for 5.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
I didn’t see that shot coming, thought he might try the combo, his idea was much better.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Are you not entertained?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Bankok posted:

I didn’t see that shot coming, thought he might try the combo, his idea was much better.

I didn't even realize 5 was on the table. My dad and I were very confused until the shot settled.

GB does not look like they want to play this end. Why are they even bothering?

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Duck Rodgers posted:

Kerri Einarson (a top 10 world ranked skip) just dropped her current team and put together a team with Val Sweeting ( another top 10 world skip), Shannon Birchard (who replaced Lawes on team Jones for the Scotties), and Briane Meilleur. That's pretty much a super team, and if they stay together they should have a good shot at the next Olympics. (also Manitoba is now even more ridiculous with the new Einarson team, Jen Jones, and Tracy Fleury taking over Einarson's old team).

I had not heard that! That's quite something to finish second at the Scotties and then tell your team to gently caress off. She's really good though and that team is insane although I'm not sure how four skips are going to all play together without some major fights or taking up all the time on the clock.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/curling/status/966500837307617281

this sport

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

More like "these loving Russians".

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Chicken posted:

Are you not entertained?

Which end is this? Gonna have to go back and watch this madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Ninth end of Switzerland - GBR. Amazing shot from Schwartz on the last rock of the end.

• Locked thread