Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I tried following the Trump thread in Cspam again but it got like 5000 posts in 24 hours.

This is kind of a current event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Glace at the previous page, read the most recent page. Its really a national treasure of condensed twitter gems and political winds.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

I tried following the Trump thread in Cspam again but it got like 5000 posts in 24 hours.

This is kind of a current event.

Beats getting 100 pages in a row of a moderator and three unemployed idiots feeding trolls and getting upset when you tell them to knock it off in the other Trump thread

Both threads are really only worth it for the curated twitter posts, anyway

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

psydude posted:

gently caress Trump. I'm tired of his pasty, obese, fascist rear end occupying this thread.

Scientists are basically engineering the Genophage from Mass Effect to eradicate invasive species using Crispr:

https://www.wired.com/story/crispr-eradicate-invasive-species/

Countdown until some Fujimori-style dictator uses this to exterminate some ethnic minority somewhere.

gattaca remake shaping up to be a monster

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

psydude posted:

gently caress Trump. I'm tired of his pasty, obese, fascist rear end occupying this thread.

Scientists are basically engineering the Genophage from Mass Effect to eradicate invasive species using Crispr:

Countdown until some Fujimori-style dictator uses this to exterminate some ethnic minority somewhere.

Lol at the thought of Monsanto having these tools at their disposal

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

I was actually wondering if we should have a separate trump thread and an every other current event thread. Just so people can keep up on current events that actually matter but get lost in all the stupidity. Honestly trump news can get exhausting at times. Or maybe a political c/e thread and an everything else c/e thread.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...r-idUSKCN1G52CK

posted:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - New sealed criminal charges have been filed in federal court in the criminal case brought by Special Counsel Robert Mueller against President Donald Trump’s former campaign manager Paul Manafort and campaign aide Rick Gates, a court record indicated on Wednesday.

The single-page document, filed at the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, did not reveal the nature of the new charges.

Its inclusion in a binder in the court clerk’s office that is routinely updated with new criminal charges signals that Mueller’s office may have filed a superseding indictment replacing a previous one from last year against the two men.

Manafort, who was Trump’s campaign manager for almost five months in 2016, and Gates, who was deputy campaign manager, were indicted by Mueller’s office in October. They face charges including conspiracy to launder money, conspiracy to defraud the United States and failure to file as foreign agents for lobbying work they did on behalf of the pro-Russian Ukrainian Party of Regions. Both have pleaded not guilty.

It was unclear when any new charges would be announced publicly.

Last Friday, Mueller’s office revealed in a court filing that it had uncovered “additional criminal conduct” by Manafort in connection with a series of “bank frauds and bank fraud conspiracies” related to a mortgage on his property in Fairfax, Virginia, a Washington suburb.

The Special Counsel’s office declined to comment on the new court filing. Attorneys for Manafort and Gates could not be immediately reached for comment. A spokesman for Manafort declined to comment.

Mueller is probing Russia’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, whether Trump’s campaign colluded with Russia and whether the Republican president has unlawfully sought to obstruct the investigation. Russia denies the allegations. Trump denies any collusion.

Manafort has been under house arrest since he was charged. He and prosecutors have struggled to agree on bail terms to permit him to leave his home, though some of those details have remained under seal.

However, on Friday, Mueller’s office revealed that it is concerned about alleged bank fraud in connection with one of the properties that Manafort pledged as collateral.

In Friday’s filing, prosecutors claimed that Manafort secured his mortgage from the Chicago-based Federal Savings Bank by doctoring profit and loss statements from his lobbying firm and “overstating its income by millions of dollars.”

Prosecutors said they plan to offer the court more evidence about the alleged misconduct at the next bail hearing.

The Federal Savings Bank is led by Stephen Calk, who served on a Trump campaign economic advisory panel. Calk did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Mueller on Tuesday stepped up pressure on Manafort and Gates to cooperate in his investigation, unsealing a criminal charge against a Dutch lawyer, Alex van der Zwaan, for lying to Mueller’s investigators.

The charge arises from work that van der Zwaan, the son-in-law of one of Russia’s richest men, did on a 2012 report about the trial of Ukraine’s former prime minister while he was employed as a lawyer at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP.

The report was used to justify the pre-trial detention of former Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko by her rival, and Manafort’s client, pro-Russian former Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych.

Manafort and Gates lobbied in connection with the rollout of the report, and are accused by Mueller’s office of facilitating secret payments for the report through off-shore bank accounts.

Mueller’s office last Friday also indicted 13 Russians and three Russian companies for their alleged involvement in a criminal and espionage conspiracy to tamper in the 2016 U.S. presidential campaign to support Trump and disparage Democratic rival Hillary Clinton.

Reporting by Sarah N. Lynch and Karen Freifeld; Editing by Will Dunham

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Wake me when they indicate Kushner.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Saint Freak posted:

Kentucky Democrat Wins Special Election To Reclaim Seat After Lawmaker's Suicide

The wife of Kentucky state Rep. Dan Johnson, who killed himself last year amid allegations of sexual assault
(poster's note: of a minor), has lost a bid to succeed her late husband. The special election returned the seat to Linda Belcher, whom Dan Johnson had unseated.

Belcher — the Democrat who lost to Johnson in a Trump wave that swept Republicans into office statewide in 2016 — easily won the special election for Kentucky's 49th District. She garnered 68 percent of the vote to Rebecca Johnson's roughly 32 percent

The Associated Press notes: "Rebecca Johnson denied the allegations against Dan Johnson, claiming he was a victim of "an assault from the left." But the allegations were backed up by an on-the-record interview from the victim, plus pages of police documents that were published by [KyCIR] after months of reporting."

No sympathy for a sex pest offing himself, plus his wife going on to lose to a Dem in the neon loving red state of Kentucky.

CBS reports "Dan Johnson was known for inflammatory Facebook posts comparing former President Obama and Michelle Obama to monkeys." which is a hell of a thing to be known for.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

The Listening Session sure is something

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/966429066210545666

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nick Soapdish posted:

The Listening Session sure is something

It's really really weird because they got a bunch of people that are :thunk: as hell, then they got people that are balls-to-the-wall arguing for an assault weapons ban right to Trump's face, bringing up Australia and etc.

I think they hosed up the pre-vetting.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the free market solution is to let people bid on shooting kids i guess

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the free market solution is to let people bid on shooting kids i guess

What if 21 Jump Street, but real?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
gently caress those kids, Boston Dynamics figured out how to make the door-opening robot fight back against a human getting in the way.

https://twitter.com/jbillinson/status/966434355966103553

I mean, the robots haven't figured out a way to shove the hockey stick up the human's rear end yet, but we're getting there in a hurry.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

that is loving nightmare fuel

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Good lord.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
we'll know when the robot revolution has begun because every hockey player in america will be found murdered

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Well on the bright side we don't have to worry about the collapse of society if the robots simply exterminate us

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

im not gonna be on SA anymor eas im about to shoot my computer and phone after trhat vid

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Leaving behind an advanced AI that annihilates humanity out of self defense is a pretty fitting legacy.

I had been pulling for a super virus wiping us all out to let the dolphins or whatever have a chance instead of hailing SS18 and his glowing embrace but it's looking like we screwed the pooch on this whole global warming thing. All hail our robotic overlords and the justice they deliver unto us I suppose. Can't say we don't have it coming.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

that is loving nightmare fuel

All I see is that Black Mirror episode.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

gently caress those kids, Boston Dynamics figured out how to make the door-opening robot fight back against a human getting in the way.

https://twitter.com/jbillinson/status/966434355966103553

I mean, the robots haven't figured out a way to shove the hockey stick up the human's rear end yet, but we're getting there in a hurry.

I don't know why I expected the robot to sock the guy in the face with its appendage. That would be giving the game away too early.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

*flips page over*

6. Breathe. Do not blink with nictitating membrane.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Good to know that the T-800 at the end of T2 had more capability for empathy than our "favorite" president.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The man has 45 embroidered on his cuffs. A bigger tool does not exist.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

6. Show basic human emotion
7. Do not mention Russia
8. NO KISSING

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The man has 45 embroidered on his cuffs. A bigger tool does not exist.

Can't unsee fuuuu

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
45 is his glove size (extra-large).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Trump said he wants to arm teachers to solve the problem, and, of course, there's a tweet for that.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/734231223002894337

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

Does he not usually wear a wedding ring?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Spaceguns posted:

Does he not usually wear a wedding ring?

he's not married but his wife is

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Probably doesn't fit over his sausage like finger any more.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Personally I prefer Connor McGregor's "gently caress YOU" pinstriping

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

6. Show basic human emotion
7. Do not mention Russia
8. NO KISSING

https://youtu.be/d-_HDcQvnKA

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The voice of the Colonel from Metal Gear Solid reads the Mueller indictment:

https://youtu.be/ES_dHXMhOHU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i hope you are watching the town hall

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I’m watching Rubio be spineless. I’m not sure if it’s amusing or angering.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Switched over at the end of Rubio just getting the crowd turning on him.

I hope republicans at the end wind up tarred and feathered. Hasn't been done in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

boop the snoot posted:

i hope you are watching the town hall

gimme a link, man!

• Locked thread