Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

guavo posted:

I searched leather tray and found some stuff Look what I found on AliExpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32710642655/32710642655.html
I did find some ugly-rear end leather trays, but I was wondering if they existed on AliE in fabric. I'l probably have to suck it up and make one myself.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've always just used a glass bowl/large ashtray.
Unfortunately, neither of these travel well or are present in hotel rooms.

In happier news, the straggler from my first big order finally showed up: the Bob Ross minifig. Ordered on 1/18, arrived 2/21 after leaving and then returning to the regional USPS center a couple times. :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

I did find some ugly-rear end leather trays, but I was wondering if they existed on AliE in fabric. I'l probably have to suck it up and make one myself.

How about silicone

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bla...iceBeautifyAB=0

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Hirayuki posted:

Phooey. :( They're off the ol' wish list, then. Right now I'm just winding my cables on my hand and wrapping them with the last four inches, which works, but I wouldn't mind something a little more tidy and secure for travel. These are cuter than Velcro zip-ties, too.

Has anyone found a "valet tray" on AliExpress? I had one (a corporate freebie) that was a square of fabric with snaps in the corners so it would snap up into a little tray to hold your watch or whatever, but lay flat and/or folded up small for travel/storage. Like this:

but fabric (and not $59). I tried a lot of different search terms, but mostly got bulky folding plastic car trays and one ornate brocade fabric bowl thing meant for a wedding gift ($$$$).

I found this one, but it’s fake leather. What kind of fabric were you thinking?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32839316381/32839316381.html

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Blue Train posted:

Needs to be life sized

What about this one?

:nws:[:nws:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'm getting all boned up over here

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

A huge 40k stoner nerd I knew in college had that exact ashtray.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

that ashtray rules

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm not kinkshaming I'm just confused about the mechanics of this sexual act. :confused:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
e: refresh before posting

Bummey fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 21, 2018

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

SEX BURRITO posted:

I found this one, but it’s fake leather. What kind of fabric were you thinking?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32839316381/32839316381.html

These are both pretty good--thanks! The one I had (and lost in a suitcase at ORD many years ago) was probably a one- or two-ply square of heavyweight cotton, nothing special.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

These are both pretty good--thanks! The one I had (and lost in a suitcase at ORD many years ago) was probably a one- or two-ply square of heavyweight cotton, nothing special.

I will check tonight if the one I have snaps, if it does you can have it. My very very rich Brother-In-Law gave it to me and I certainly don't care about it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I'm not kinkshaming I'm just confused about the mechanics of this sexual act. :confused:

Where do you think the word "boner" comes from?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mikl posted:

Where do you think the word "boner" comes from?

I don't see the word "bonee" often enough

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Go to Scotland

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

me bonny wee boner

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Let’s just say skeletons have 207 bones

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
I will be ordering this eventually and hanging out somewhere visible without checking with my roommate. It will counterbalance all of her text on chunks of wood crap.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32829741018/32829741018.html

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Shinmera posted:

This arrived a bit ago. It's pretty cheap and some of the parts don't actually work as they should in the description. For the price I guess it could be serviceable if that's the kinda thing you want though?

Mine showed up today and it works fine. The nub on the rotating circle pad (not the joystick) is too small and slick to provide any purchase for rotating the dang thing, I'm going to hit it with some sandpaper to rough it up a bit, but all the other buttons and wheelies click nicely. The giant switch in particular is really stiff with a loud and solid click, which is good.

e: just noticed one corner has a big chip taken out of it. v:shobon:v oh well. don't care.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 23, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just searched Ali for “autism” and learned that autistic kids seem to love kaleidoscopes.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Ha, this will make a fun little gift for my violin teacher wife. Also this opened me up to a whole world of Chinese made musical instruments I didn't know exist. I probably wouldn't buy anything serious but some of those tin whistles and melodicas look like good fun.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I already bought a guitar from AliExpress but if you find any really strange stuff I’d love to see it. Maybe some bagpipes or a hurdy gurdy.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Snowy posted:

I already bought a guitar from AliExpress but if you find any really strange stuff I’d love to see it. Maybe some bagpipes or a hurdy gurdy.

I didn't see any bagpipes or hurdy gurdys but how about a Natural Bamboo Pan Flute or a 28" Gong? Maybe not that strange but interesting that you can buy that poo poo direct from China.

I was actually researching "Chibsons" the other day but apparently they are real hit or miss, like some are just shoddily made, shameless copies and others are made by former people who worked in proper guitar factories etc.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 23, 2018

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I was actually researching "Chibsons" the other day but apparently they are real hit or miss, like some are just shoddily made, shameless copies and others are made by former people who worked in proper guitar factories etc.

Fwiw I've had poor luck buying Chinese carbon bike parts from Ali, but good luck on eBay

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I didn't see any bagpipes or hurdy gurdys but how about a Natural Bamboo Pan Flute or a 28" Gong? Maybe not that strange but interesting that you can buy that poo poo direct from China.

My chickenbacker isn’t as good as an original but fuckin rules for how much I paid.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Shinmera posted:

A laser thermometer. Advertised to be accurate down to ±1.5C.

This finally arrived. It's not that accurate, but it is very handy for quick temperature readings when you're doing experiments and such.

Shinmera posted:

I've been looking for a simplistic digital watch, and this seems to fit the bill. I'll let you know if it's any good once I receive it.

Update on this, I guess: it's still working fine and the accuracy is pretty much the same as any other digital watch I've had. I've also grown more accustomed to reading it, so all in all it turned out to be an excellent purchase.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Snowy posted:

Maybe some bagpipes or a hurdy gurdy.
Not on Ali, but there's a kickstarted self-assembly Hurdy Gurdy.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I keep searching for the AliExpress version of this car registration/insurance document holder (about 8 1/2 “ letter size) but I get a lot of license plate brackets as results.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075Q4YXMN/

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

strangehamster posted:

I keep searching for the AliExpress version of this car registration/insurance document holder (about 8 1/2 “ letter size) but I get a lot of license plate brackets as results.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075Q4YXMN/

May not be exactly the same but I got a lot of results searching for “car documents”

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32835412722/32835412722.html

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

What about led filament lightbulbs? Can I be certain that they won't burn my house down?

I bought a bunch and all except one have been fine. The other one separated between the bulb and the screw end. Otherwise they look exactly like incandescent and have been going fine for a few months now.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

everdave posted:

I will check tonight if the one I have snaps, if it does you can have it. My very very rich Brother-In-Law gave it to me and I certainly don't care about it.
Oh, hey, thanks! :)

The New Year holiday is over, right? I have another poo poo-ton of stuff on my wish list just begging to be bought.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Hirayuki posted:

Oh, hey, thanks! :)

The New Year holiday is over, right? I have another poo poo-ton of stuff on my wish list just begging to be bought.

I think I saw a notice for an upcoming site wide sale as well.

Edit: if anyone needs a prop for the crappy sci-fi movie they are making, this showed up under beauty :

Bored fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 25, 2018

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah some stuff I foolishly ordered during New year's has finally started shipping

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, I ordered a fountain pen because the idea of something refillable and reusable sounds good to me. It arrived with the tip of the nib bent out of shape, here's hoping the seller is sympathetic gets back to me about a replacement or something :(

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Crazy Achmed posted:

Well, I ordered a fountain pen because the idea of something refillable and reusable sounds good to me. It arrived with the tip of the nib bent out of shape, here's hoping the seller is sympathetic gets back to me about a replacement or something :(

I wouldn't bother with a fountain pen from Ali

Either buy one of the papermate (I think) disposables that can be converted to eyedroppers or refilled with a bit of effort/mess. Or splurge $20 on eBay for a Lamy safari, the Lamy nibs are a universe apart from those crappy disposables. My last one lasted about 5 years of daily use.

Edit: I only replaced it because I thought I lost it, then the moment I ordered a new pen it reappears :iiam:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

norp posted:

I wouldn't bother with a fountain pen from Ali

Either buy one of the papermate (I think) disposables that can be converted to eyedroppers or refilled with a bit of effort/mess. Or splurge $20 on eBay for a Lamy safari, the Lamy nibs are a universe apart from those crappy disposables. My last one lasted about 5 years of daily use.

Edit: I only replaced it because I thought I lost it, then the moment I ordered a new pen it reappears :iiam:

I bought a couple of Jinhao fountain pens and was really impressed for the <$3 price point. One of them did arrive with a bent nib and the seller replaced the whole pen.

Don't buy ink on AE, though. It's thin, not waterproof, and sold in disposable cartridges that may not fit your pen very well.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You can get a jinho off of Amazon for ~5 or so.. and second not buying ink from China.. poo poo there's a >50% chance it's going to arrive broken.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My mom has gotten crazy into the ~$80 or so gemstone rings and necklaces because apparently those are like $600-700 in normal stores, easy. she's had her jeweler check them out and all the gems have been as described so far.

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008
We've come back around to fountain pens. I've bought a crapload of them off Ali. All in the $3 to $5 range. Mostly Jinhao. Been pretty satisfied overall. No bent nibs, except for the ones I keep dropping onto cement floors. Really got to get the hang of this whole opposable thumbs thing.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've bought my last couple phones from aliexpress and didn't even really think about how they had a lot of other poo poo too. I'm going to have to do some shopping on there because I really dig inexpensive dropshipped goods and I'm pretty much never in a hurry to get a thing.

I didn't get mine from here, but these motherfuckers are the best thing. I use them as potholders and also as lids for my eclectic collection of thrift store kitchenware.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sil...2809997644.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Duh Ugh posted:

We've come back around to fountain pens. I've bought a crapload of them off Ali. All in the $3 to $5 range. Mostly Jinhao. Been pretty satisfied overall. No bent nibs, except for the ones I keep dropping onto cement floors. Really got to get the hang of this whole opposable thumbs thing.

Cut off your hand and graft the pen to your wrist, simple