Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Blockhouse posted:

let's talk about Dragonlance

b-but Dark Sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Dragonlance is funny because on the one hand, superficially speaking it's nice Christian ethics baked into a D&D setting, but on the other hand it's really a dualistic conflict between fantasy expies of two Babylonian god-beasts, thinly papered over as Jesus-Dragon and Satan-Dragon.

Anyways it's all trash but Kaz is way cooler than Drizzt.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Drone posted:

b-but Dark Sun

I know like three things about Dark Sun

it was the setting my step-dad who I hated liked while Dragonlance was my dad who I vaguely tolerated's so it never really had a chance

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The Dragonlance novels were pretty cool until I read fantasy novels that were actually good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm actually curious about how Greyhawk developed from Gary and Dave's Sandbox to something more defined. There's a sort-of legendary essay about what makes Greyhawk Greyhawk, but I don't really know.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm actually curious about how Greyhawk developed from Gary and Dave's Sandbox to something more defined. There's a sort-of legendary essay about what makes Greyhawk Greyhawk, but I don't really know.

it probably doesn't help that this was written by someone with a big ol axe to grind

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's incredibly axe-grindy against the Forgotten Realms, but making GBS threads on the Forgotten Realms is extremely my poo poo.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
What's the Forgotten Realms equivalent of 9/11? I think my next character is going to be a Truther.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

LongDarkNight posted:

What's the Forgotten Realms equivalent of 9/11? I think my next character is going to be a Truther.

Well the entire Forgotten Realms is just one huge ongoing disaster, so...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I"m reading the Canterbury Tales by my man Chaucer because I'm have stopped buying from the fantasy section after I graduated from high school

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Hostile V posted:

If your players end up thinking you're an rear end in a top hat, put a pause on the game for a few minutes and have a honest discussion with your players to listen to why they feel this way and address concerns. Work out why it isn't working by talking to them and clear up concerns and misconceptions caused by your ideas as a GM being different from how they're reading it as players. That's all you need to do.

About other issues, I'd say this works fine. But it tends not to work with challenge. Basically, players (both mine and many others I've interacted with) always seem to assume that a GM will sell a game as more challenging and "gritty" than it actually is.

They'll also blame the game system initially rather than the GM - which becomes a vote for more 5e, of course.

(Don't worry, I'm not going to rant for 14 pages.)

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

LongDarkNight posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Greenwood

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Hyphz, there are no rules for how many rolls to success because that's just decided by the GM. That sounds like GM fiat to you. That's because it basically is. How successful players are in AW is basically determined by GM fiat. That's how the game works. If you want the players to succeed at a thing, require few rolls and use soft moves. If you want them to fail, require many rolls and make hard moves. Your intention is not guided by capricious whim, but by your agendas. The dice still get their say because the moves are often specific about the choices the players can make. So while your intention as GM will guide things generally, the randomizers will still give a range of results.

I know GM fiat is a bad word to you and you worry that your players will blame you when they fail. The solution is not to play that game with players who think like that. Play with players who already know you are not an rear end in a top hat and who don't get whiny when things don't go their characters' way. I know just the type of players you mean and have played D&D with them. Don't play Apocalypse World with those players. Once they get the notion into their heads that they don't need to optimize every drat thing, then you can play with them. Until then, play games that define success and failure more strictly.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
We just got out of the hole. Don't push us back in.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Nuke it from orbit Ettin, it's the only way to be safe.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Please stop talking about AW, my session last week was so bad my poor lil' heart can't bear to have it brought up repeatedly so soon. Too soon. :(

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I've been workshopping my own dumb fantasy setting for years that's basically what if adventuring guilds were just Ghostbusters

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Oh no, not RPG chat in the RPG chat thread!

If you would rather derail onto something else, let's talk Orville vs Discovery. Which is the better Trek? Which is more woke? Which is more gameable if I want to play a Trek RPG?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

If you would rather derail onto something else, let's talk Orville vs Discovery. Which is the better Trek? Which is more woke? Which is more gameable if I want to play a Trek RPG?

Deep Space 9

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

LongDarkNight posted:

The Spellplague was, in fact, an inside job

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Here's a question, where do we discuss Patreon? Like I understand that as a platform it probably goes in the industry thread, but where do we discuss individual Patreons for game aides and adventurers and new games and stuff. I'm just kind of wondering. Is the Kickstarter thread appropriate?

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
hyphz have you actually read AW?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Lightning Lord posted:

Companion level Basic D&D

Is the original Companion Set presentation of the BECMI domain management rules less opaque than the one in the Rules Cyclopedia? Because I tried to get my head around that once and couldn't figure out basic information like how to actually make rolls for random events: the percentages on the tables add up to more than 100%, so when I decide an event is called for do I just go down the list and roll on each one individually until something happens, or...?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/OneShotNetwork/status/966413951675371523

RPG podcast network One Shot finished investigating accusations of sexual harassment against one of it's contributors, and not only cleared his name but found an alt-right campaign to defame the network. It's some real weird poo poo.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Deep Space 9

The most true statement in this thread.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Thuryl posted:

Is the original Companion Set presentation of the BECMI domain management rules less opaque than the one in the Rules Cyclopedia? Because I tried to get my head around that once and couldn't figure out basic information like how to actually make rolls for random events: the percentages on the tables add up to more than 100%, so when I decide an event is called for do I just go down the list and roll on each one individually until something happens, or...?

IIRC yes, just roll each event, and if one happens, stop.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Star Trek Discovery is loving trashgarbobad.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
In other news, does anyone know what happened with the Spellbound Kingdoms: Arcana kickstarter? It sort of said it was about to be released and then it wasn't.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Last update was a comment posted on January 9th saying that they weren't fully finished but still close and that they didn't want to rush things that weren't ready.

So who knows.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Sion posted:

As far as being compared to the Orville goes, it does have the advantage of having nothing to do with Seth McFarlane.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

As far as being compared to the Orville goes, it does have the advantage of having nothing to do with Seth McFarlane.

Yeah but you're swinging for a low ball there.

There is some offensively awful poo poo in Discovery. From the idiot-plot (a plot that only works if everyone involved is an idiot), the loving warcrime committed in the second episode, the general loving visual ugliness of the entire production, the fact that we're told and never shown that the federation is apparently a lot of people doing good things, the Captain that straight up goes 'gently caress this seeking new life poo poo, I'm gonna explode this giant tardegrade to make my engine go faster,' to the total waste of the mirror universe plot line. Like- it is just offensively terrible, on an almost overwhelming degree.

Sion fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 22, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbozig posted:

Extremely hot take: Orville is the better Star Trek series, but Discovery is more gameable because the set-up is literally that they have a license to be murderhobos in service of winning the war against the Klingons.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Did you watch past the first episode

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LongDarkNight posted:

There’s a set of Ao-worshipping Time of Troubles truthers in Waterdeep in 2e and 3e.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

One series is an unfunny parody of Trek that gets tiresome to the eye and is disrespectful to all it stands for, as well as to the tv watcher's time and taste.

The other is directed by Seth McFarlane

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

hyphz posted:

In other news, does anyone know what happened with the Spellbound Kingdoms: Arcana kickstarter? It sort of said it was about to be released and then it wasn't.

He revealed the book cover on December 3rd, then like senrath said, he left a kickstarter comment on January 9th that he was "polishing" stuff.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Sion posted:

It is the only Trek series that has ever starred a woman, or a person of color.

Sion posted:

Yeah but you're swinging for a low ball there.

There is some offensively awful poo poo in Discovery. From the idiot-plot (a plot that only works if everyone involved is an idiot), the loving warcrime committed in the second episode, the general loving visual ugliness of the entire production, the fact that we're told and never shown that the federation is apparently a lot of people doing good things, the Captain that straight up goes 'gently caress this seeking new life poo poo, I'm gonna explode this giant tardegrade to make my engine go faster,' to the total waste of the mirror universe plot line. Like- it is just offensively terrible, on an almost overwhelming degree.

These are the stories that must to be told, and in the Age of Trump idealism must be put aside for the greater good.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bedlamdan posted:

It is the only Trek series that has ever starred a woman, or a person of color.

I hope this is just a joke going over my head

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Insomuch as bad posting can be called a joke, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I hope this is just a joke going over my head

Mr. Maltose posted:

Insomuch as bad posting can be called a joke, yes.

All I did was copy paste other people’s defenses of Discovery, so take it up with them! :ssh: