Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

crazypeltast52 posted:

HOAs can lien the real property within the association and its liens are senior to mortgages. Which is to say that homeowners can say get hosed as they hand over the keys. Also, the board probably has bylaws that the association will pay their legal fees.

Yea I was going to say now is the time to panic sell, holy moly. Best case they get the judgment knocked all the way back down but that's going to require a ton of lawyers fees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Explain to me, a furren freedom-hating gun-unhaving godless commie savage, why HOAs are a thing again?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Weatherman posted:

Explain to me, a furren freedom-hating gun-unhaving godless commie savage, why HOAs are a thing again?

to ban any non-caucasians from living in the neighborhood unless they're live in servants
to protect the neighborhood character by mandating how the houses look

(these are both in the HOA bylaws i'm in)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jesus Christ the reddit community does not have a good attitude toward women

"You can offer to work more to make up for the money your "princess-for-a-day" event cost (and channel every penny into investments... not Jimmy Choo's or Prada handbags), but he might go either way."

"Going forward, the ball is in your court to be good with money, and never, ever badger him about spending money he doesn't want to spend. And if he tells you "no" (as he should, being the one who understands money), you'll have to gracefully defer to his decisions rather than complain about them. "

"Usually irresponsible people take the "accidentally forgot my bc" trap baby route in my experience."

"his new wife who just spent up all his money on one day of frivolity has the gall to wonder when he'll just get over it. Horrible."

"If I were him I would feel like a broken piggy bank. She doesn't give two shits about me, my effort or my time. It is all about her and nothing I can do will make it better."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
All the tedious busy bodies you get from living in an apartment block, without having to live in an apartment.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Weatherman posted:

Well some subdivisions have space that is shared by all the homeowners and that space requires maintenance and incurs other expenses. Also to enforce some rules arbitrarily.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Harry posted:

It was for her. She got her wedding at the expense of his premarital assets and now they can rebuild "together".

I was going to make a post on that pointing out that the wedding was just a giant ego trip for her, and that she took no responsibility for her actions leading up to it but the comments are locked. Not surprised they are locked though as she probably doesn't want to understand how close their marriage is to ending, nor take any action to address it.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"his new wife who just spent up all his money on one day of frivolity has the gall to wonder when he'll just get over it. Horrible."

There are quite a few arguments in the thread in relation to that. Half point out that he's party to it and agreed to it. However they have a point that she doesn't seem to give a poo poo about his feelings.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 22, 2018

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Elephanthead posted:

Well some subdivisions have space that is shared by all the homeowners and that space requires maintenance and incurs other expenses. Also to enforce some rules arbitrarily.

Isn't that what the local council is for?

The neighbourhood I grew up in had parks and bike trails and a couple of athletics areas. That was maintained by the city council and paid for through council rates (city-level taxes assessed mainly on house+land value).

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Weatherman posted:

The neighbourhood I grew up in had parks and bike trails and a couple of athletics areas. That was maintained by the city council and paid for through council rates (city-level taxes assessed mainly on house+land value).

Depends on how the neighborhood was set up initially. If the municipality didn’t take those roles on in the development agreement, the association would be responsible for them. Then HOA residents can claim to have greater control over the level of services they get, as well as not paying for those services for anyone else.

I grew up in the same kinds of neighborhoods as you, if you are from a neighborhood that was built in the first half of the 20th century, you won’t have HOAs, the latter half depends on where in the country you live.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Devian666 posted:

the wedding was just a giant ego trip for her,

Don't be gross, dude. Women can want a big lavish wedding without it being mental illness.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Don't be gross, dude. Women can want a big lavish wedding without it being mental illness.

A massive ego isn't a mental illness. I have no doubt she had a great time. For her husband it's an issue, otherwise she wouldn't have posted.

Weatherman posted:

It makes me think of gated communities. Where there's a board to tell you how to live your life.

You should check out Disney's Golden Oak.
https://www.disneygoldenoak.com/

also:

quote:

1. Disney has representatives in four of the seven seats on the community board. One agent reports that "when you live in there, you live and die by the rules."
https://www.curbed.com/2013/11/11/10176940/nine-fast-facts-about-the-gated-community-in-disney-world

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 22, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Devian666 posted:

A massive ego isn't a mental illness. I have no doubt she had a great time. For her husband it's an issue, otherwise she wouldn't have posted.

Oh, you know what I mean. She sucks big time for putting her own needs so far ahead of her husband's, but there's nothing inherently wrong with spending Whatyouthinkisacceptableforawedding + $N

A big fancy wedding can be important to people for many reasons other than "LOOK AT ME!!"

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oh, you know what I mean. She sucks big time for putting her own needs so far ahead of her husband's, but there's nothing inherently wrong with spending Whatyouthinkisacceptableforawedding + $N

A big fancy wedding can be important to people for many reasons other than "LOOK AT ME!!"

Oh I agree. A good social occasion, and it's not like her husband was left out. For some it's an event for their local church too.

With respect to cost I usually stay away from the usual derail of wedding for $50 at the registrar bullshit. Thing is reading through the thread he cashed in $150k and I believe that paid 80% of the cost. It must have been one hell of a wedding for around $190k. I'd expect a parade and dancing elephants for that.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Devian666 posted:

It makes me think of gated communities. Where there's a board to tell you how to live your life.

You should check out Disney's Golden Oak.
https://www.disneygoldenoak.com/

also:

https://www.curbed.com/2013/11/11/10176940/nine-fast-facts-about-the-gated-community-in-disney-world

:stonk:
Burn this world down and let's start over.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's pretty funny how hard you are justifying her actions, and her parents.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Harry posted:

It's pretty funny how hard you are justifying her actions, and her parents.

Many of her actions are inexcusable and I've never said one word about her parents. What on earth are you talking about?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Many of her actions are inexcusable and I've never said one word about her parents. What on earth are you talking about?

"Some people really love weddings, nothing wrong with that! This is a miscommunication issue! They just aren't on the same page! Oh wow reddit doesn't like women, they want her to pay back the money!" You're trying your hardest to deflect blame from her.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yeah, but this is the BWM thread and

quote:

As a result, we were barely able to scrape by the wedding with only a couple hundred bucks to our name.

was probably too much to spend on a wedding, even if they were counting on help from the parents. That's AFTER cashing in all their savings.

He's party to this mess, but there are some serious red flags in her post:

quote:

It's not like he had this money sitting in his bank account. He had to sell off all his investments, while also pulling from his emergency fund

It sounds like she fundamentally doesn't understand what has happened, at ALL.

quote:

He now feels like he has to start all over into what he had initially put 5 years of investing into.

He doesn't just FEEL that way - that's the complete truth. It's not money that he magicked out of nowhere; he blew through his savings to pay for "her wedding" (now THIS is the part where it's just his feelings) but she doesn't seem to appreciate that at all and recognize his sacrifice. It seems like, to her, he hasn't given anything up and just has hurt feelings.

quote:

All he says is "focus on saving your money".
Should I just continue to give him space, or is there a certain point where he has to get over it

Also sounds like she, fundamentally, doesn't grasp what has happened. Her post shows no signs of remorse or even acknowledgement of who gained and who lost in this wedding fiasco. Those are the things that really stood out to me; it's not that she is an egomaniac for wanting a big wedding, but rather that everything she wrote sounds like she's trying to paint him as a pouting child when it was only through his financial responsibility that they don't currently have a ton of CC debt.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Weatherman posted:

:stonk:
Burn this world down and let's start over.

I first heard about it years ago. Very strict rules about yard appearance, grass length and behaviour. It's freakishly utopian and with Disney having the majority of the board seats the residents do not have real representation or control. Who the gently caress would pay $2m to live in such a hosed up location and community.

totalnewbie posted:

He doesn't just FEEL that way - that's the complete truth. It's not money that he magicked out of nowhere; he blew through his savings to pay for "her wedding" (now THIS is the part where it's just his feelings) but she doesn't seem to appreciate that at all and recognize his sacrifice. It seems like, to her, he hasn't given anything up and just has hurt feelings.

Also sounds like she, fundamentally, doesn't grasp what has happened. Her post shows no signs of remorse or even acknowledgement of who gained and who lost in this wedding fiasco. Those are the things that really stood out to me; it's not that she is an egomaniac for wanting a big wedding, but rather that everything she wrote sounds like she's trying to paint him as a pouting child when it was only through his financial responsibility that they don't currently have a ton of CC debt.

In her edit of the OP she still didn't register the issues. However I'm wondering if she's realised how serious this is. That thread is not just locked but the OP deleted now.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 22, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/LucyXIV/status/966095181035401216

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Harry posted:

"Some people really love weddings, nothing wrong with that! This is a miscommunication issue! They just aren't on the same page! Oh wow reddit doesn't like women, they want her to pay back the money!" You're trying your hardest to deflect blame from her.

Incorrect my friend. She deserves at least 50% of the blame and I've never said anything to indicate she deserves anything less.

I also never said anything about "they want her to pay back the money", so I don't know what to say in regards to that. Did you get confused about what part of "You can offer to work more to make up for the money your "princess-for-a-day" event cost (and channel every penny into investments... not Jimmy Choo's or Prada handbags), but he might go either way" I thought was deplorable?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Incorrect my friend. She deserves at least 50% of the blame and I've never said anything to indicate she deserves anything less.

I also never said anything about "they want her to pay back the money", so I don't know what to say in regards to that. Did you get confused about what part of "You can offer to work more to make up for the money your "princess-for-a-day" event cost (and channel every penny into investments... not Jimmy Choo's or Prada handbags), but he might go either way" I thought was deplorable?

Quit being retarded. Every post you made definitely was putting as little blame as you could on her.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

totalnewbie posted:

It was his money, and ultimately his decision. Whining and sulking about it after the fact and blaming it on her parents is lovely of him. She's bad too though. This seems like one destined for divorce.

For him, it was very BWM, also BWL. For her, it was just BWL.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

She's right to be worried, I hosed my last laptop.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Harry posted:

Quit being retarded. Every post you made definitely was putting as little blame as you could on her.

I don't know what to tell you, man. Relax maybe? I think she's a real piece of poo poo, if that makes you feel any better.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

The funny part is how both sets of parents bailed out and then they went ahead and had a $100,000+ wedding anyway. They both agreed to it so there's no white knighting needed. Personally I'd be pressing the ABORT button pretty hard when the vendors started calling to make sure things were fine. "Uh... do you have a 'silver' package I can opt for instead?"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Did that Dumb Money-Grubbin' Bitch Golddiggin' Whore say if the wedding was totally nonrefundable? I just can't believe the husband went along with a $190k wedding if he wasn't totally on board with it.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Did that :zaurg: Whore say if the wedding was totally nonrefundable? I just can't believe the husband went along with a $190k wedding if he wasn't totally on board with it.

I believe there was major non-refundable deposits discussed. It seems clear they were past the point of no return.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Devian666 posted:

I believe there was major non-refundable deposits discussed. It seems clear they were past the point of no return.

EDIT - I didn't read the posts clearly enough to tell if I'm confused or if their story is sketchy. It seems inconsistent on how much had been prepaid, why it was prepaid if the expectation was for the parents to have paid for it, and why they "had no choice" but to go all-in when they still had to liquidate a ton of stocks to be able to pay for it.

Maybe it's just hard to follow because of what a huge mess it is

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 22, 2018

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

How does that even work, though? He had to liquidate stocks for this, so it isn't like they had made a full deposit in advance.

Can you get sent to collections for booking a wedding venue, caterers, elephant dance squad etc. and backing out before the day?

Most likely they had an initial deposit but in the run up to the wedding they would have needed to pay 75-90% of the entire cost weeks in advance. No doubt invoices needed to be paid or anything clocked up on credit was probably also due. At best if they pulled out at the last minute they'd lose 90% of their money so might as well go through with it at that point. Wedding venues and planners don't give credit as they've all been burnt at some point.

I get the feeling that it's been an issue for some time. Maybe she dismissed his feelings thinking that after the wedding he wouldn't be so upset.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Reddit being full of terrible lovely racists and misogynists is perfectly compatible with her having almost no grasp of what actually transpired, him having some culpability for selling all his investments (lol if anything was in a 401k), and their parents being unreliable turds to gently caress over their kids like that.

quote:

I admit...I did pressure him [into going along with a bigger budget than he wanted], but I guess it was a combination of having my dream wedding and also because we were so close to the date, I didn't want to cut my losses. He had told me we would be okay, but close to being in the "red". So I just assumed everything would be fine eventually.

Might as well have all the freaky sex they can now and enjoy what they can on the train to :sever:ville

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Weatherman posted:

This is America we don't spend money on commie public space unless it is for a billionaire sports team to exclusively use.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I really really hope there was 401k loans and liquidated IRA's involved with that wedding debacle.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Devian666 posted:

:words:

With respect to cost I usually stay away from the usual derail of wedding for $50 at the registrar bullshit. Thing is reading through the thread he cashed in $150k and I believe that paid 80% of the cost. It must have been one hell of a wedding for around $190k. I'd expect a parade and dancing elephants for that.

Hoooooooly fuckin poo poo. How the gently caress can you spend that much on a wedding if you're not Kanye?

Also - he's loving stupid to cash out. When we were talking about cashing out earlier, I thought it was like $30k which is nothing to sniff at. $150k? Were there blowjob party favors or some poo poo?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah I'm definitely gonna admit I assumed the total wedding costs were like $50k or so.

Did they mention what their income is like? Dude accumulated $100k in 5 years which isn't very impressive in a raging bull market.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The opulent wedding defender has logged on.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Asimov posted:

The funny part is how both sets of parents bailed out and then they went ahead and had a $100,000+ wedding anyway. They both agreed to it so there's no white knighting needed. Personally I'd be pressing the ABORT button pretty hard when the vendors started calling to make sure things were fine. "Uh... do you have a 'silver' package I can opt for instead?"

In the comments the OP indicates that her husband tried to pull things back once her parents bailed, but she insisted on a whole hog affair basically on faith that things would just work out. She sounds more clueless than malicious, but I'm calling a certified BWM here.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Unless there's some 11th dimensional chess scheme I am not seeing, my BWM experience for the day is ...

... CC fraudster gets a hold of my CC information, orders a laptop, uses my home address for the delivery, uses my email address for the confirmation email. At least they signed me up for every spam email in the galaxy to try to hide the confirmation email, but I knew that strange things were afoot when I decided to delete 500 emails without wanting to look at their subject lines.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

theHUNGERian posted:

Unless there's some 11th dimensional chess scheme I am not seeing, my BWM experience for the day is ...

... CC fraudster gets a hold of my CC information, orders a laptop, uses my home address for the delivery, uses my email address for the confirmation email. At least they signed me up for every spam email in the galaxy to try to hide the confirmation email, but I knew that strange things were afoot when I decided to delete 500 emails without wanting to look at their subject lines.

Are you sure you didn't get drunk and buy yourself a laptop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Higgy posted:

Are you sure you didn't get drunk and buy yourself a laptop?

I don't have alcohol hard enough to make me go to HSN (yes Home Shopping Network) and buy a laptop. Such loving amateurs.