Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Tran posted:

Remember the talk just a bit ago about the Capellans becoming a safe harbor for the society? Team war crimes could potentially be the real big bad of this story.

5/6 and 6/7 pilots aren't as much of a handicap if you have an AI that can be handling all the piloting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Artificer posted:

Why are some Society pilots worried/distracted what have you while others are high as balls?

The grad students and assistants are crammed full of experimental combat drugs. The PhDs know better and are taking notes.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Narsham posted:

5/6 and 6/7 pilots aren't as much of a handicap if you have an AI that can be handling all the piloting...

I wouldn't want an AI pilot, they have to add in the +4 skill modifier for remote controls.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Defiance Industries posted:

I wouldn't want an AI pilot, they have to add in the +4 skill modifier for remote controls.

The one in Saving Carlos Marik didn't do so bad once it was down to just one mech. Then again it took up an entire shuttle and probably cost the Capcon a whole lot to build.

edit: Rise of the Phoenix, my bad. Keeping mission names straight is not my strong suit.

Grizzwold fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 22, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

Right now I'm just thankful that they never made a Cephalus variant with an iatm6 and a ton of iMP ammo.

Why would they bother? Mist Lynx Z

MJ12 posted:

I want a MD/Society faceoff PTN please make it happen one day

Successfully call down the Legion for Mission 2

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Why would they bother? Mist Lynx Z

That's neither invisible nor does it apply +2 to hit -2 movement for landing a single shot.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Point taken.

Strobe posted:

There isn't a number 15. The Society fields units in formations of 1, 3, and 7. This is two Septs.

This is almost a math joke. If they operated in 2, 3, and 7 they'd have three prime numbers on lockdown. The Clans are already using the number 5. :haw:

Strobe posted:

The Turkina Z is without exaggeration the single most dangerous mech in the history of BattleTech. I recommend killing it before it gets more than one turn.

Fortunately, the Turkina's only quirk is a negative one. And a really bad negative quirk at that.

VVV Typo.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 22, 2018

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Strobe posted:

There isn't a number 15. The Society fields units in formations of 1, 3, and 7. This is two Septs.

Really.

We've destroyed or driven off 1/15 Society forces. I could 13 Society units active on the field, and one that's been overkilled.

Where is number 15?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Looks just like Beggar's Canyon back home. I'm going to see if I can work some more magic on that Turkina. Sair, think you can get your Nyx in close to the Septicemia Z?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Strobe posted:

The Turkina Z is without exaggeration the single most dangerous mech in the history of BattleTech. I recommend killing it before it gets more than one turn.

It looks like the kind of bullshit missile boat used to infuriate other players in a MechWarrior game; it even has just enough jump ability to Poptart!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

thetruegentleman posted:

It looks like the kind of bullshit missile boat used to infuriate other players in a MechWarrior game; it even has just enough jump ability to Poptart!

It's a great way to get kicked out of a tabletop group.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

AJ_Impy posted:

This is the absolute, gospel truth. If there is a Cephalus somewhere near you, you are in close range thanks to the Nova CEWS. HE ATM ammo deals 3 per missile, 36 per launcher. iATMs are streaks: If they hit, they all hit. It has four launchers. That thing has the potential to obliterate most assault mechs from 9 hexes away. and the midrange missiles are almost as bad from 15.

The Septicaemias have very, very strong weapons loadouts as well: Taking out the HPG jammer is almost as important.

Well... At least if things go wrong, the Clans still don't get their supply lines!

But seriously, I think Wolverines and Clanners have both got this (really helps to have a player).
Hmm, they might blow up the Clan's dishes though, the way they're going for the Dropship.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 22, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Looks just like Beggar's Canyon back home. I'm going to see if I can work some more magic on that Turkina. Sair, think you can get your Nyx in close to the Septicemia Z?

Oh dear being the sole target of quad iATM9s in a Gurkha lol.

Goonspeed good sir.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Wouldn't be scientists without a healthy supply of expendable grad students. Someone's been reading the PYF chemistry thread.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'd have happily transitioned to lab style science if I could have gotten credits for giant robot fights.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hooboy, that's a boatload of iATMs.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Successfully call down the Legion for Mission 2

Oh poo poo guys

make it happen

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gwaihir posted:

Oh dear being the sole target of quad iATM9s in a Gurkha lol.

Goonspeed good sir.

Shooting on 9s I have a pretty good chance of surviving. But hey, don't know if I don't try. I just have to raise my power level to maximum and put it all into this attack!

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

I'm posting another tactical map. This time I've marked off some of the worst damage areas to keep an eye on. Everything here hates you at short range something fierce, so make good use of our initiative superiority. Almost everything here has extended torso twist or extending actuators, so they have no "safe zone" in the rear like usual.

As much as the Turkina makes a tempting target, our main objective is in reach -- Defiance, Sair -- if you're going to brave the iATMs, does either or both of you want to make a go at the main? The Summoner can't cover the rear of the objective Septicemia-Z with HE ammo, and this might be our one good chance to get in a few good shots with the least return fire. I think one or both of you can get there in the magical 10 hexes for the +4.

With my leg hits I'm unfortunately not very fast and I can't get into medium range for anything seriously dangerous with a minimum 5 or 6 piloting roll (PTN - the combat log shows I had a base of 4 though, and the player sheet says my piloting is 3, can you clarify?), so I'm going to run to 0919 and set up for next turn, putting some shots on the slow Cephalus in 1421 on 7s(?).

My alternate option is to risk a jump to 1117 and shoot the UAC Septicemia, but my to-hit would be a 10.

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 22, 2018

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I approve of the John Madden map planning.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Artificer posted:

I approve of the John Madden map planning.

Now I really want some Madden commentary on this scenario.

Sair
May 11, 2007

I can definitely get behind it. We'll see if that kills me.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

LeschNyhan posted:

I'm posting another tactical map. This time I've marked off some of the worst damage areas to keep an eye on. Everything here hates you at short range something fierce, so make good use of our initiative superiority.

It's worse than that. Thanks to the Nova CEWS, if you're within short range of any mech and within long range for a weapon, you could be in short range for that weapon. Bear this in mind, kill them anyway.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

sebmojo posted:

Now I really want some Madden commentary on this scenario.

Fraction Jackson, where art thou?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Zaodai posted:

There better be, or we're demoting you to the program to design a flamer that more completely incinerates orphanages so we don't get murderous child ghosts when we rebuild on the property.

[EDIT] And if the above seems in poor taste even for the Cappellans, tell me you can't picture some Cappellan getting reports of murderous orphan ghosts and not immediately being like "So we need a bigger flamer that burns away the soul too. :thunk:"

I'm fine with them attempting this as long as it only makes the orphan ghosts angrier.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

I thiiiink your Angel ECM should still block the streak effect of iATM launchers, which means that they can still shoot you, but that they'll have to roll on the cluster table instead of automatically having every missile hit.
Yes. The things on the field I mentioned before are the Angel for breaking locks, ferro-lamellor armor for damage reduction, and anti-missile systems. The Angel has plenty of range to cover others, though since people brought up possible Arrow configs it didn't feel right to suggest everyone cluster around the Rampage.
The Sep Z might also start sending some nasty things through the space mail slot that may affect the bigger picture, not to drum up useless speculation.

MJ12 posted:

The two 3070-ish new baddie factions are interesting in that they simultaneously have significant similarities-both rely heavily on high-tech combined arms warfare-and some huge differences.
The Word and Society may also be Wolverine offshoots, if you believe two questionable things: that the Blood existed and secretly controlled ComStar, and the Society spreading the Wolverine BattleCorps story as propaganda means that they are ideological descendants of scientists the Wolverines left behind.
Those are a bit of a tall order, but the real deal-killer is it would propel Sarah McEvedy past Victor Steiner-Davion for BattleTech's "Well-Meaning Idiot Fucks Up Hard Enough to Kill Everyone" Award, and that's just nonsense.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sair posted:

I can definitely get behind it. We'll see if that kills me.

Try to end up in the woods, maybe we will make it through this.

Sair
May 11, 2007

I guess I could get to 1401 and bait a kick.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

DeepThrobble posted:

Yes. The things on the field I mentioned before are the Angel for breaking locks, ferro-lamellor armor for damage reduction, and anti-missile systems. The Angel has plenty of range to cover others, though since people brought up possible Arrow configs it didn't feel right to suggest everyone cluster around the Rampage.
The Sep Z might also start sending some nasty things through the space mail slot that may affect the bigger picture, not to drum up useless speculation.

The Word and Society may also be Wolverine offshoots, if you believe two questionable things: that the Blood existed and secretly controlled ComStar, and the Society spreading the Wolverine BattleCorps story as propaganda means that they are ideological descendants of scientists the Wolverines left behind.
Those are a bit of a tall order, but the real deal-killer is it would propel Sarah McEvedy past Victor Steiner-Davion for BattleTech's "Well-Meaning Idiot Fucks Up Hard Enough to Kill Everyone" Award, and that's just nonsense.

Was VSD the one who dissolved the new Star League?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I mean, his incompetence is directly responsible for the FCCW and his siblings inheriting states that were not financially or militarily able to support it, so kinda.

Mansdotter was the last First Lord though.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
And Sun Tzu Liao was the first!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

LeschNyhan posted:

PTN - the combat log shows I had a base of 4 though, and the player sheet says my piloting is 3, can you clarify?

Every player unit on the map should be a 3/4 (equally skilled with the Coyote force, significantly better than the Society). If anything reads otherwise it means I hosed up.

Edit: If I made Jaime Wolf fight Morgan Kell in a 1v1, I'd make them both 3/4 pilots since they're equally skilled and someone who is your match can put pressure on you in ways someone who isn't your match can't.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 22, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PoptartsNinja posted:

Every player unit on the map should be a 3/4 (equally skilled with the Coyote force, significantly better than the Society). If anything reads otherwise it means I hosed up.

Edit: If I made Jaime Wolf fight Morgan Kell in a 1v1, I'd make them both 3/4 pilots since they're equally skilled and someone who is your match can put pressure on you in ways someone who isn't your match can't.

Is 3/4 where the numbers work best?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They're my favorites, yeah. The game's designed around 4/5 as a baseline, 3/4 makes the games go more quickly while still suggesting the pilots are skilled. 5/6 makes games take forever. And 2/3s basically never miss.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

painedforever posted:

And Sun Tzu Liao was the first!

He and Victor are probably the people I'd blame for the Star League's collapse, yeah. They just LOVED to undermine its credibility at every turn.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

He and Victor are probably the people I'd blame for the Star League's collapse, yeah. They just LOVED to undermine its credibility at every turn.

I think Aleksandr Kerensky may fall under the category of "Well meaning person who screwed up" - if he had the ability to convince 80% of the SLDF and their families to go into exile with him, maybe he could have persuaded them to go neutral and hang around the old Terran Hegemony worlds rather than going back to their Houses? That may have decreased the impact of the earlier Succession Wars.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Weissritter posted:

I think Aleksandr Kerensky may fall under the category of "Well meaning person who screwed up" - if he had the ability to convince 80% of the SLDF and their families to go into exile with him, maybe he could have persuaded them to go neutral and hang around the old Terran Hegemony worlds rather than going back to their Houses? That may have decreased the impact of the earlier Succession Wars.

Thus was founded House Kerensky.

Not a utopian option. That neutrality would not have been respected.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Thus was founded House Kerensky.

Not a utopian option. That neutrality would not have been respected.

I thought the SLDF was still quite formidable then, even after the war against Amaris

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Weissritter posted:

I thought the SLDF was still quite formidable then, even after the war against Amaris

and i think in the fluff, most were willing to back him if he wanted to name himself first lord. Of course, a weakened SLDF backing a house kerensky terran hegemony may not have changed much of the outcome of the first succession war except adding another faction to nuke.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Weissritter posted:

It would have sped things up a lot, not made it better. It took the Pentagon Worlds, what, a decade to do to themselves what the Houses needed centuries to do?

They only fought one way and it's why so many of the old Hegemony worlds were utterly trashed after Kerensky finished off Amaris.

e: And those were worlds where they wanted to live. Think about what they did to the Periphery in the Reunification War.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

AJ_Impy posted:

It's worse than that. Thanks to the Nova CEWS, if you're within short range of any mech and within long range for a weapon, you could be in short range for that weapon. Bear this in mind, kill them anyway.

That's for targeting and not for damage, so we don't need to panic -- and the pilots are still trash 5-6 gunners so at best they are mitigating their run penalty with that. The iATMs do 3*missile inside 3, so that's why I've marked them as such. If you go in there, be sure it's worth it, but otherwise we just have to keep our group tight. I'm hoping the Coyotes can focus down the two middle Septicemias real hard this turn while we re-position.

Overall we have a little bit of a choice this turn in the south. As tough as they are, every Cephalus we kill impairs the Nova CEWS network, so if we have one moving as slow as that one there we have a good chance at killing it outright. AAAA could back up a bit and decline fire for a turn to help murder it, and chktp could come down off the hill to break LoS to the HAG to help. Or they can focus on the HAG and Arrow IV launcher. Either way it's a long road north so we need to decide whether we're going all in on the objective or if we leave a rear-guard to kill off that artillery support -- I'm not sure how on-map Arrow IVs work, but if they can use the rear location tables we want that launcher dead asap.

• Locked thread