Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

WarpDogs posted:

GameMaker is a great engine for what they're doing. they just suck rear end at the "actually using it" part
ToG should just put B2 on hold and start working on Barkley 3 in another genre. They should go with a Minimum Viable approach instead of B2's Maximum Unpossible.

They could easily break off bball tactics into its own game and release it pretty quickly. Or fishing could be an entire game instead of a minigame.

Fishing minigame: you are a citizen of tir na nog or whatever, you can do stuff in the city they've already designed but it's entirely limited by your fishing income. Add in "seasons" that all look the same except for some minor decoration changes in the city and a day-night fishing cycle that determines whether you're catching can's or bottles. You can decorate your dump of an apartment with a charlie brown christmas tree, disgusting piles of garbage, and stanky old la-z boy recliners. Bonus points if your housing is provided for free by the city and you never actually make enough money to do anything cool while fishing because you just get useless old garbage and not anything of value.

BBall tactics could just be like any of the NBA video games except with tactics gameplay, or it could be some weird poo poo that makes no sense.

The point is for PR and to say "we're still working on b2 for real guys".

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

They should just poo poo out whatever they have now. Stick the party on a train and railroad them directly to the end, and have their animator make some cutscenes to fill in the gaps. It worked great for FF15.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Khorne posted:

bball tactics

but someone else already made Pyre

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Insanely hosed up post

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

yo mamma a Horus posted:

in countless other parallel universes barkley has been released and critically acclaimed, while we sit, stuck, in the no boarkley one

Truly, the darkest timeline.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

WarpDogs posted:

GameMaker is a great engine for what they're doing. they just suck rear end at the "actually using it" part

Game Maker has issues that crop up with games that get too high of an asset count, which "thousands of modular gun pieces" probably qualifies for unless they have some form of code to split a spritesheet in to pieces without it counting as separate items in the IDE. Hotline Miami 2 supposedly had a ton of issues with this, as an example.

Game Maker is still good for the type of game Barkley 2 is, it's just there's a caveat to that.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Hotline Miami 2 was (originally) made in GameMaker 7 which probably did have some issues, but that's also because it came out in 2007. Since then GameMaker has gone through two major platforms revisions (GameMaker Studio 2 being the latest) and is far more modern - as you might expect

I'm making a very large game using GMS2 and it's been smooth sailing, even as a solo dev

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Big Word posted:

Insanely hosed up post

Arbykle

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

the crpvidcon book project finished and it has a hot review of barkley; shut up and jam; gaiden

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
Someone tell them to update that page with the current release date

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Those who cannot slam with the best, will now have to shaq with the rest :sigh:

https://www.engadget.com/amp/2018/02/15/shaq-fu-revival-game-launch-spring-2018/

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I kinda liked shaq-fu. lovely fighting game but some of the characters were neat.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

WarpDogs posted:

Hotline Miami 2 was (originally) made in GameMaker 7 which probably did have some issues, but that's also because it came out in 2007. Since then GameMaker has gone through two major platforms revisions (GameMaker Studio 2 being the latest) and is far more modern - as you might expect

I'm making a very large game using GMS2 and it's been smooth sailing, even as a solo dev

huh so... theres no excuse?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

GMS2 is indeed good but you don't get it for free if you have GMS, it's a new release you have to pay for again and it's somewhat expensive. Not prohibitive if you have funding maybe but when you're dry that hundo is pretty big.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I just woke up from a dream in which I was at the Barkley 2 launch party and I bought a nifty limited edition physical copy that came with a disc that had a picture of a guy with really bad teeth on the label

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you were looking at the wrong side of the CD!!!!!!!

no but seriously this game's never coming otu

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Barkaley

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

no but seriously this game's never coming otu

In todays political climate, a lot of people are coming out. And barkley will be one of them.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

you were looking at the wrong side of the CD!!!!!!!
Oh my god I'm owned now

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

WarpDogs posted:

I'm pretty sure you'll end up your game before we see Barkley 2.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

turboraton posted:

I'm pretty sure you'll end up your game before we see Barkley 2.

More time for Barkley 2 to gain strength and reach perfection, then.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I forgot that this still hasn’t come out yet

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
me too, was just about to sit down and play the acclaimed borkeli 2 but then i remembered its still in development

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I too get upset when a game hasn't come out before the release date announced by the developers.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
B2 cancelled after it's revealed that Billy Mitchell faked all his high scores.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

King of Kong? More like King of Crime.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What if they just released BBall Tactics for now?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SeXReX posted:

I too get upset when a game hasn't come out before the release date announced by the developers.

Okay.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

SeXReX posted:

December 2013 is just around the corner!!

Khorne
May 1, 2002
They finished b2 months ago but just want to make sure they don't release before the 2021 release date.

It's important to not shatter the trust of your fans by breaking your word and going back on promises that have been made.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Cheen posted:

Unfortunately the release date is late 2013 in the Islamic calendar so you've still got centuries to wait.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Cheen posted:

I too don't know what the word estimate means

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
It's going to be good when the game comes out

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

The Milkman posted:

It's going to be good when the game comes out

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

SeXReX posted:

I too don't know what the word estimate means

yeah an estimate that was off only by 5 years oops

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gonna still blame gamers for giving something that's 100 percent gonna be trash like shenmue 3 millions of dollars instead of giving it to the tale's boys.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Barkled

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Barksdale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Wooflee