Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

revisionist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Gravy Jones posted:

Whenever I see Milo I can't unsee...

not the sort of young ones I typically associate him with

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I 3d printed part of the liberator as a fun project but stopped it halfway because i realized how stupid it was, and a waste of plastic to boot. the advantage that 3d printers have over machine shops is that you only need one tool. the disadvantage is that 3d printing is a lot more expensive than making a slamfire shotgun, and a lot less safe. it is true that potentially they could become a crime gun, esp given that most criminal handguns are lovely broken guns with a few rounds that were stolen with them. most criminal handguns are either filled with a few rounds in the mag, the wrong ammo, or a weird mix of casings. Crimeguns are meant to be used in emergencies or for a specific task and then dumped, which would make 3d printed guns good for the task since they wouldn't have to withstand more than one to several shots.

Check out "The Guns of Salty Balty" thread in TFR to learn more.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I think making a barrel + reciever out of plastic is a recipe for ending up losing your hand, as would be using sintered metal. Seems risky.

I could see almost anything other component being able to be 3d printed, but even limiting your weapon to a small number of shots with a printed receiver is still playing with fire.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Al! posted:

solution seems easy to me: classify all current gun owners as enemy combatants so you don't have to respect their 2nd amendment rights

compromise: black gun owners

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

StashAugustine posted:

compromise: black gun owners

well the problem with that is the police are legally allowed to hunt black gun owners for sport

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Gravy Jones posted:

Whenever I see Milo I can't unsee...

I'm an uncultured swine who only recognizes the guy on the right because Strong Sad dressed like him for a homestar Halloween flash cartoon

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

For someone who wants or needs a gun immediately for a low cost, the typical market is inexpensive ($150 or less) handguns that may or may not be bought legally. This includes both self-defense by someone who can't afford a more expensive gun and criminals who want something that only needs to last long enough for a robbery or single murder and then gets thrown away.

This triggered an article I recall reading some years back, talking about "community guns" in troubled urban areas. Basically, a gun that multiple people in a neighborhood know about and share responsibility in stashing, with the tradeoff being they can use it (if, I assume, they don't "lose" it).

The gun in the mailbox, the one in an electrical meter, the guy in "know a guy" you're just one step over the line from meeting..poo poo,one Glock 23 was linked to 37 shootings in Syracuse, NY by comparing the spent cartridges it left at crime scenes between each other for ballistics identification.

And it makes sense. There might be only so many legal owners in an area to burgle or rob over time. It takes time, risk, and cost to traffick guns in from states with looser gun laws (same as the factors for any other contraband). There are only so many "clean" people (typically women) who can do straw purchases to bypass a friend, lover, or relative's otherwise-barring felony conviction.

I think at some level criminals/associates of such realize that what affects a black market trade in arms isn't so much a matter of supply itself (which might be a universal black market constant) but, rather, the rate of that supply combined with demand. I'm sure some freakonomicist has already published a paper discussing and analyzing the intersection points of black market gun supply as represented by risk, cost, supply, demand and so on.

So the point I guess I'm trying to make is that criminals seem to hoard firearms equally as much as conventional wisdom would say they have single-time "use it and lose it" mentalities about all their weapons. They hoard them, because black market transactions necessitate that somebody have a ready arsenal of guns to sell or dump. And if the purchasers are themselves engaging in black market transactions (backed up by black market violence), then the economically logical sense is that if you're resigned to engaging in black market commerce (resigned to a life of crime, basically) that might inevitably entail shooting and killing someone at some point...why pay for the same gun, the same service, twice if you don't have to? Especially if that gun is still a potentially hot commodity again even after being used for your purposes!

So 3D printing being used to make instruments of purpose-driven criminal enterprise (like guns) should be concerning to everyone. It might be easy to laugh and dismiss plastic handguns that fail after seven shots now, but if enough of them can be cranked out to meet parity with demand (driven in turn by black market use and necessity of regular replacement)...well, that's a problem. Because then it's possibly not too much farther until a social tip-over point (backwards, of course) provides enough demand regardless of gun laws for firearms. Then you have arms races and social disorder.

Today's plastic printers get replaced by CNC machines and raw material, or those metalworking 3D printers. Lethality evolves and absorbs once something innocuous meets an offensive need for violence, just as ISIS used modified drones for close-range air-to-ground attacks with hand grenade bombs. So this is where I finish with agreement that something has to be done about gun supply (I favor "restrictive" over "prohibitive" gun control myself) to curtail the flowrate of guns into the black market.

But I also agree that alone won't be enough if other societal factors persist to drive the existence of criminal enterprise, with its attendant criminal needs internally and services to the edgecase societal periphery, because the size of the effectively perpetual black market armory will be affected by both the rate of supply and the rate of demand.

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Uncle Wemus posted:

Of course info wars took milo in

Jones respects a good grifter.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/chick_in_kiev/status/966505974637973504

speaking as a teacher, there is no creature more savage than a high schooler. funny rubio water drink man is getting absolutely eviscerated on tv

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

speaking as a teacher, there is no creature more savage than a high schooler. funny rubio water drink man is getting absolutely eviscerated on tv

so you’re saying the kids are all right? :unsmith:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

SatansOnion posted:

so you’re saying the kids are all right? :unsmith:

kids today are insanely online. they don’t just have to worry about smoke from their peers, they have to worry about smoke from the entirely of online. they can hold their own. we just have to stop them from becoming nazis.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Wemus posted:

I'm an uncultured swine who only recognizes the guy on the right because Strong Sad dressed like him for a homestar Halloween flash cartoon

The Young Ones, from back when MTV was a channel people watched.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

kids today are insanely online. they don’t just have to worry about smoke from their peers, they have to worry about smoke from the entirely of online. they can hold their own. we just have to stop them from becoming nazis.

nazis are doing that job for us by mocking and/or trying to discredit kids lucky enough to survive school shootings

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
id be more worried about 30-40 year olds from what i've seen spending too much time looking at this poo poo

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
i think we now know why destiny finds it so easy debating multiple alt-right loons at a time, probably been doing it all his life

(his mother)

yikes

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

3d printing guns seems like a waste of time, given that even cave dwelling Afghani children are capable of learning how to make guns. why bother with a giant expensive machine when you can study up and then hit the hardware store.

During the Troubles in North Ireland the UVF got pretty good at making homemade submachineguns out of scrap metal

The IRA preferred the Armalite AR-18 [DOES NOT STAND FOR ASSAULT RIFLE] assault rifle, aka "The Widowmaker".

e: imho those homemade ones are good for shooting holes in any "ban the scarier looking ones" policy

e2: now I got a Douglas Adams quote stuck in my head

quote:

The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with.'

Syd Midnight has issued a correction as of 05:02 on Feb 22, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 23 days!)

I was really hoping our president would call the high school kids crisis actors, but the world is even dumber than that.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
there was a brief and hilarious how do you do fellow kids moment where chuds were pretending to be from parkland and saying that one of the survivors was a crisis actor

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Is it over someone do a trip report oops meant this for the Trump thread but if if someone wants to here that's fine too I had to work and missed it

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I was really hoping our president would call the high school kids crisis actors, but the world is even dumber than that.

If it helps, Don Jr. liked a tweet accusing them of all being crisis actors earlier today.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Captain_Maclaine posted:

If it helps, Don Jr. liked a tweet accusing them of all being crisis actors earlier today.

he’s such a simple boy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Visidan posted:

i think we now know why destiny finds it so easy debating multiple alt-right loons at a time, probably been doing it all his life

(his mother)

yikes

lol natural news sucks so much rear end

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The Alt-Right: I tried to delete it and it's not deleting

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

eatenmyeyes posted:

not the sort of young ones I typically associate him with

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/dril/status/660644922744262656

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/don_chump/status/966476282916671489

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Good.

So Destiny was on some gun control debate on BakedAlaska's channel. During at one point the below happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMqercaCMZ0

Highlight quote of the debate
https://clips.twitch.tv/SavoryAmorphousOpossumMrDestructoid

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

"Walking around like a weak person". It all comes around back to that, huh

Yes, well, I don't think anyone involved in the gun control debate cares about criminal use of guns, except as a whataboutism to shut down debate. I think people are more worried that civil situations that once might have gone incivil, now might go deadly

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

hackbunny posted:

"Walking around like a weak person". It all comes around back to that, huh

Yes, well, I don't think anyone involved in the gun control debate cares about criminal use of guns, except as a whataboutism to shut down debate. I think people are more worried that civil situations that once might have gone incivil, now might go deadly

Crime is just something those dirty poors do. It's not something that civilized people concern themselves with.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

CheeseSpawn posted:

Good.

So Destiny was on some gun control debate on BakedAlaska's channel. During at one point the below happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMqercaCMZ0

Highlight quote of the debate
https://clips.twitch.tv/SavoryAmorphousOpossumMrDestructoid

lol "teachers john wicking down the hallways"

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

SimonCat posted:

Crime is just something those dirty poors do. It's not something that civilized people concern themselves with.

i listen to a lot of audio books at work and a while back i did a bunch of controversial books to challenge myself and one of them was The Turner Diaries, the neo nazi fantasy book that inspired the oklahoma city bombing.

Anyway the first 1/3rd of the book is the heroic neo nazis bitching about how the minorities commit robberies and such for evil primative reasons and immediately after the author says that he has the characters start robbing liquor stores to fund their terrorism and quite literally says its ok when we do it.

well thats my post thanks for reading

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
i see this comment posted after every destiny debate against some alt right/right wing genius

where are the smart ones? the only one he hasn't talked to at this point is moly

if some random twitch streamer can embarrass jontron, lauren southern, sargon, dick masterson, nick fuentes etc in a debate maybe its the ideology that's the issue :thunk:

i mean poo poo, look at the town hall, 16 year olds can do it

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

SimonCat posted:

Solve crime then. But solve kids shooting each other to death in school, too

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I told my cat all about the feminist movement

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That Joe Biggs guy (second from left in the chat) deserves an effort post sometime.

He was a pizzagate guy who used to work for Infowars until Jones sacked him. He seems like he is trying to stir up some Patriot Prayer-type nonsense in Austin, where he lives.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 14:09 on Feb 22, 2018

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Visidan posted:

i see this comment posted after every destiny debate against some alt right/right wing genius

where are the smart ones? the only one he hasn't talked to at this point is moly

if some random twitch streamer can embarrass jontron, lauren southern, sargon, dick masterson, nick fuentes etc in a debate maybe its the ideology that's the issue :thunk:

i mean poo poo, look at the town hall, 16 year olds can do it

Yeah, I listened to the whole debate and it's definitely not worth the listen. The main guyJon that Destiny was debating can be distilled to "the solution to gun violence is more guns." Then like halfway, Baked brought in two more right wingers to dogpile on Destiny. The basically were brought in as "stat guys" to counter Destiny's claim that the problem isnt unique to the US because the other countries are ethnostates and were just short of implying that blaming gun violence on minorities in the US. It was interesting to listen to as Destiny is pro gun and I wanted to see how the RW would approach him.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
no idea who he was until the stream, looks like he was one of the gazebo of freedom wankers

https://twitter.com/Rambobiggs/status/898938167646203904

yeah okay, 50 vs this vvv

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/898975377288081409

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
america should put moats along the border of every state so these nazis cant carpool to every protest to inflate their numbers from 3 to 5