Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
screaming iron litho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Went to an abandoned Communist-era hotel on the shores of a local lake at the weekend.

Medium Format

Arax002.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Arax009.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

35mm Panoramic (KMZ Horizon)

Horizont009.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
series

Everything Grinds to a Halt for a Bit by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 15, 2018

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Kodak Professional is teasing something new on their twitter: https://twitter.com/KodakProFilmBiz

https://twitter.com/KodakProFilmBiz/status/965903917958737921

https://twitter.com/KodakProFilmBiz/status/965979553519865856

https://twitter.com/KodakProFilmBiz/status/966311972731056128

A lot of people speculate they're bringing back Tmax P3200. Others think it's instant film.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Is the instant film part of their Professional line? Seems unlikely to me. Plus you don't push instant film, because, y'know, it's instant.

Anyway, I tested my new Exakta today on my way around the local university. It is pretty broken but probably fixable.

Exakta010.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Exakta004.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Exakta001.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Too bad Tmax3200 was trash.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

8th-snype posted:

Too bad Tmax is trash.

F t f y

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Tmax 100 is okay.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

TMAX400 for life!!

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

8th-snype posted:

Too bad Tmax3200 was trash.

I never shot it, but I remember back when it was still in production general concenses was Delta 3200 was better so it's kind of odd that people are hyped about it. It's cool that new films are being released, or old films rereleased, though so we can be excited about that. Ektachrome is more exciting to me though.

Helen Highwater posted:

Is the instant film part of their Professional line? Seems unlikely to me. Plus you don't push instant film, because, y'know, it's instant.

P3200 seems way more likely to me.

They added a new one which makes it pretty obvious it's not instant:

https://twitter.com/KodakProFilmBiz/status/966628741798559745

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

eggsovereasy posted:

They added a new one which makes it pretty obvious it's not instant:

https://twitter.com/KodakProFilmBiz/status/966628741798559745

A film has no name.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
a film made from the severed heads of the dead

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

It's official

https://twitter.com/KodakProFilmBiz/status/966979709643952129

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you're shooting it at 3200 and developing it at 3200 that's not really pushing it is it?

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

maybe if kodak stopped loving around with cryptocurrency and tmax announcements we'd have ektachrome back by now

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

VelociBacon posted:

If you're shooting it at 3200 and developing it at 3200 that's not really pushing it is it?

I don't know if it's going to be exactly the same emulsion, but the old version was actually (by ISO standard testing) a ~1000-speed film, just designed to push reasonably well up to 3200. That's why they labeled it 'TMAX P3200' and not just 'TMAX 3200'; the P was for Push. Most films will develop reasonably well with a few stock recipes, but the 3200 films need more attention there.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

https://twitter.com/ILFORDPhoto/status/967003621094289409

:smuggo:

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

:drat:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Also Tri-X pushed to 3200 is better than Tmax 3200 in every way. I mean if the emulsion is a brand new modern design that's good and I'll keep an eye on it but if it's just literally P3200 from the early '00s then lol..

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 23, 2018

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
They have replied to people on twitter asking and it seems its the same exact stuff.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

That's cool when do we get ektachrome.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

So I just did my taxes and I'm thinking of treating myself to a nice little compact camera with a piece of my return. I'm looking at getting a Fuji Klasse S - does anyone here have experience with one of these guys? Anything to watch out for on the secondhand market?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

hi liter posted:

So I just did my taxes and I'm thinking of treating myself to a nice little compact camera with a piece of my return. I'm looking at getting a Fuji Klasse S - does anyone here have experience with one of these guys? Anything to watch out for on the secondhand market?

Are you 100% sure you don't want interchangeable lenses?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Are you 100% sure you don't want interchangeable lenses?

I have a Nikon FG already that I enjoy using, but it can be a bit heavy and cumbersome. I want something smaller. Reviews say its about as good as a Contax T2 but for half the price (not trying to drop that much) - just wondering if anyone here had shot with one and could speak to that.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

They have a kind of clunky look and seem big for what they are, but probably have some of the best optics of any fixed-lens 'fast' 35mm p&s camera, if the Fuji fixed-lens p&s I've used before and the Klasse stuff I've seen on Flickr are any indication.

But I'd tell anyone who's considering the purchase of a fancy, expensive film p&s at this point in time to consider specs and user opinions, sure - but take what's in the best condition first and foremost. Based on my experiences with buying used film cameras, given the choice between the Klasse, 35Ti, and Hexar AF today, I'd take whichever of the three I could find that was in the best overall condition and being offered by a reputable seller with some kind of warranty or return policy. Hell, I'd take an L35AF or Stylus over any of those if it was in better condition and I could more reasonably expect it to work for a long time.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

hi liter posted:

I have a Nikon FG already that I enjoy using, but it can be a bit heavy and cumbersome. I want something smaller. Reviews say its about as good as a Contax T2 but for half the price (not trying to drop that much) - just wondering if anyone here had shot with one and could speak to that.

Those reviews are a bit dated. The Klasse S and T2 both go for about the same price on ebay $700-1000 on average. In my opinion you should look into the Hexar AF, unless you need pocketability or hate the 35mm FOV (like a weirdo). You can pick up a decent one of those for around $600.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Aren't all those film P&S cameras pretty much plastic throughout and effectively unrepairable because of it?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Sauer posted:

Aren't all those film P&S cameras pretty much plastic throughout and effectively unrepairable because of it?

I think it's more of a component problem than a material one. If something fails you basically have to buy a parts camera and hope it didn't fail in the same way.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

8th-snype posted:

Also Tri-X pushed to 3200 is better than Tmax 3200 in every way. I mean if the emulsion is a brand new modern design that's good and I'll keep an eye on it but if it's just literally P3200 from the early '00s then lol..
Ayup. TriX and delta are both better in their own ways.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

8th-snype posted:

If you haven't been pushing Tri-X to 3200 you're a straight chump ffs. Chalk me up for being more excited about Ektachrome whenever it comes out.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I did some chiding at Kodak on twitter and they said first half 2018.

First target was early 2018. So probably around the end of this year they might finally have a solid release date for 2019

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Lol if you think Ektachrome is really gonna happen. They spent all the slide money on buttcoins.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
That's all the reason I need to shoot Ilford.

All this throwing around of the Kodak name, this is the regular Kodak making these annoucements or Kodak-Alaris? Because, uh

The Modern Sky fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 1, 2018

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
as far as I know all film alaris

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Ilford will be around until B&W film dies for good. Kodak will be around until hollywood stops using vision film stock.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Understanding posted:

That's all the reason I need to shoot Ilford.

All this throwing around of the Kodak name, this is the regular Kodak making these annoucements or Kodak-Alaris? Because, uh

Jesus, that investment advice. I have rarely seen anything as harsh as that in the dispassionate language of business research.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

I don't think I've ever seen a company think about what to do about it's remaining toes after already shooting itself in the foot.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

surely after kodak eats it for good, a company will be able to buy their film business for pennies on the dollar and keep putting out tri-x, ultramax, and the other films i like. right? RIGHT?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I for one am fully prepared to invest big money into Toecoins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Misc posted:

surely after kodak eats it for good, a company will be able to buy their film business for pennies on the dollar and keep putting out tri-x, ultramax, and the other films i like. right? RIGHT?

that already happened, the film arm was spun off and became Kodak-Alaris and is based in the UK