Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Content: I thought it was kinda incongruous that Q was actually affected by his depression monster talking about how he was going to have early Alzheimers and a foot face when he clearly remembers already living to an old age without getting it.

Depression isn't logical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Alhazred posted:

Depression isn't logical.

also Fillory's air is .03% opium

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I figure Quentin and Elliott both probably would've said gently caress it and hosed off with that mosaic based on their characters, but it was still cool and I liked it. The transfer of magic from Julia to Alice is a little bit surprising but I guess we'll see if that even takes. They need to give OTD a decent new storyline.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fast Luck posted:

I figure Quentin and Elliott both probably would've said gently caress it and hosed off with that mosaic based on their characters, but it was still cool and I liked it.

I understand your point, but I think it just demonstrated how important magic is to them. They were willing to work their entire lives to restore it. And plus, where else were they going to go? If they returned to Earth on that timeline, it's likely that they would have arrived at the start of the 20th Century. Even their grandparents likely wouldn't have been born yet.

quote:

The transfer of magic from Julia to Alice is a little bit surprising but I guess we'll see if that even takes. They need to give OTD a decent new storyline.

I suspect the gods are going to be like, "Nope, not so fast," and transfer the power right back to Julia.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Did you miss the part where Quentin straight up marries a woman and has a kid and poo poo? Sure they banged in their alternate life but I don't really think they're going to end up together.
They both married women and had children - before they lived together as a couple for decades. Did you miss the bit where Quentin's wife died?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Quentin appeared to fall in love with both the one woman he encountered for decades and the one man. So I think we confirmed he's bisexual... or just very lonely. I don't think that really gives any real signal to who he wants to end up with forever or anything.

The actually kind of interesting thing that I assume that storyline did was that it presumably gave Quentin the time to get over Alice. He's lived a lifetime and loved and lost 2 partners since the last time Alice awkwardly interacted with him. So in theory it should be very different when they cross paths again.

Assuming she's not dead or a demon or something.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
If we get a Season 4, maybe we can get a side episode of just Elliott and Quentin giving the mosaic a break and going off to do some other Fillory hijinks.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nihonniboku posted:

I understand your point, but I think it just demonstrated how important magic is to them. They were willing to work their entire lives to restore it. And plus, where else were they going to go? If they returned to Earth on that timeline, it's likely that they would have arrived at the start of the 20th Century. Even their grandparents likely wouldn't have been born yet.

For a brief moment I thought they were going to use Jane Chatwin to try to get a message to the future somehow.

Instead they got a message to the future to find Jane Chatwin, which was an amusing twist on what I expected.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

If we get a Season 4, maybe we can get a side episode of just Elliott and Quentin giving the mosaic a break and going off to do some other Fillory hijinks.

I think the show likes to play with how each character plays off each other. They really try to work out how each character would interact one on one, and once they do, they go with it. I think we're going to see a lot more of Quentin and Eliot one on one after practically all last season of Eliot only doing one on one with Margo.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The best show on television is onnnn!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh man.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know, I think Alice needs to go up a size in tops.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

No kidding, last episode I almost thought she passed out due to constricted breathing at the end there.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Wonder what Julia meant when she said the magic from Fogg's vial was different? It was all shadowy when she raised her hand.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You could tell from the end of the episode when the Fairy Queen left that it was Fairy magic. It was the same kind of shadowy afterimage.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

You could tell from the end of the episode when the Fairy Queen left that it was Fairy magic. It was the same kind of shadowy afterimage.

That tracks, given the seemingly trapped fairies we saw in her house when they were looking for the key.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

You're wrong, I'll explain if need be.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This show is unreasonably good.

Woden
May 6, 2006
The Magicians: Entitled Millennial Bullshit

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gonz posted:

Yeah. In their first seasons, this show felt like an afterthought compared to The Expanse. Although it helps that their schedules aren't synced up anymore, The Magicians has become a show I must see the night it airs.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Gonz posted:

Yeah, I'm still floored that it's as good as it is. I keep trying to recommend it to friends, but the few that I do manage to give it a try can't make it past the first few episodes. Which, I can't blame them, I wouldn't have kept on watching had I not already been a fan of the books.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Woden posted:

The Magicians: Entitled Millennial Bullshit

The Magicians: You will have to snort it

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just binged the last three episodes and something caught my attention. When Margot was talking to Jane(?) inside the time bubble, Jane said something like, "in here all moment exist at the same time" and Margot wishes that she could build a time bubble to live in as well. At the end of the episode Q and Elliott walk into Margot's room and they both experienced the same moments in time together.

Is this hinting at something that Margot did?

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just binged the last three episodes and something caught my attention. When Margot was talking to Jane(?) inside the time bubble, Jane said something like, "in here all moment exist at the same time" and Margot wishes that she could build a time bubble to live in as well. At the end of the episode Q and Elliott walk into Margot's room and they both experienced the same moments in time together.

Is this hinting at something that Margot did?

Well poo poo. I'll buy that.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The TV IV › The Magicians: "I'M YOUR QUEEN, YOU MOTHERFUCKERS!!!"

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm glad Josh and Quentin are eskimo brothers now

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Slamhound posted:

The TV IV › The Magicians: "I'M YOUR QUEEN, YOU MOTHERFUCKERS!!!"

I was really digging Margot's little speech about how Elliott fell rear end-backwards into being high king while she have had to fight to get power. When I first started watching the show I wasn't really expecting her to be the one to call bullshit on the patriarchy (or that the show would have anything to say about the patriarchy or power structures at all), but here we are.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Alhazred posted:

I was really digging Margot's little speech about how Elliott fell rear end-backwards into being high king while she have had to fight to get power. When I first started watching the show I wasn't really expecting her to be the one to call bullshit on the patriarchy (or that the show would have anything to say about the patriarchy or power structures at all), but here we are.

Well I am a man and I’m explaining. Maybe you can womansplain it me.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Her tight tops aside, I'm beginning to really dislike Alice as a character.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Margo might not have started out that way, but slowly she's been the one able to take charge since season 1, even when things are hosed up for her.

She's become my favorite character on the show mostly because you can see that she's loyal to a fault and that has caused so much havoc.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
elliot is really the Darius III of fillorian kings

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have to say I was a little worried about this season. "So for the 2nd season of a show called The Magicians, we're turning off magic." It sounded like one of those pitches that'd make for a rather dry season but instead it's been awesome pacing throughout. Glad to see my fears were unfounded.

geeves posted:

Margo might not have started out that way, but slowly she's been the one able to take charge since season 1, even when things are hosed up for her.

She's become my favorite character on the show mostly because you can see that she's loyal to a fault and that has caused so much havoc.

I never expected Margo to be awesome at first. She wasn't terrible, as a comic relief character. But now yeah, she's awesome as hell.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GORDON posted:

Her tight tops aside, I'm beginning to really dislike Alice as a character.

I know what you mean, but at the same time.. I feel like it's intentional.

She started out this nice, naive girl who didn't exactly have an arc to end up this ethically questionable ice cold rear end in a top hat, but her being a Niffin (SP?) really gutted her soul.

So yeah, she's far, far less likable these days. But frankly that Alice died and there's only a shadow left now and again, I feel like they know precisely what they're doing with that. The cleared sign being that little amused smile after frying the magical eel; not at vindication, or revenge but because she still just likes the pretty lights.

Like if you put Alice back to full power unchecked I'm not convinced she'd not just turn into Beast 2.0.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Blazing Ownager posted:

I never expected Margo to be awesome at first. She wasn't terrible, as a comic relief character. But now yeah, she's awesome as hell.

She developed as the show developed. She started as Eliot's bitchy best friend. And now she is probably the funniest character on the show.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
There’s a line in the episode before the last one where Margo and Eliot have a sweet conversation in the carriage after drugging the Mountain prince. Margo asks what happened to them because they used to be awesome mega bitches. Eliot responds by literally saying that they now have depth and character.

I love this show

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Margo would be most improved character from the books to the show if Penny didn't exist.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not hard for Penny seeing as he was barely in the books.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Not hard for Penny seeing as he was barely in the books.

And Margo is a much improvement on Janet in the books. as well.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I know what you mean, but at the same time.. I feel like it's intentional.

She started out this nice, naive girl who didn't exactly have an arc to end up this ethically questionable ice cold rear end in a top hat, but her being a Niffin (SP?) really gutted her soul.

So yeah, she's far, far less likable these days. But frankly that Alice died and there's only a shadow left now and again, I feel like they know precisely what they're doing with that. The cleared sign being that little amused smile after frying the magical eel; not at vindication, or revenge but because she still just likes the pretty lights.

Like if you put Alice back to full power unchecked I'm not convinced she'd not just turn into Beast 2.0.

Alice is an antagonist on this show and I she's great. But I would argue that Alice was anything but naive. She came to the school with an agenda.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

You know, this show’s first season is so hard for newcomers to get into and it’s sad. Because that s3 episode 5 life in a day mosaic was such loving powerful TV and I just wish it could be shared with others. There’s really no way it can stand on its own and have the same emotional power to people who haven’t watched the show though.

Oh well. How many episodes are left in s3? The acting (mainly Q and Alice) is still often cringeworthy but this season is phenomenal. Margot is loving amazing and Elliot has gone from lost party sloth to an actually inspiring king.

Is Margot going to become fairy queen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazer__
Jul 29, 2003

It took me 3 tries to get through the first season. I kept quitting right after the last episode and then I just never had it in me to keep going. My wife and I binged through the whole thing this weekend and got caught up and the tonal shift from season 1 to season 3 has been a relief. I wasn't sure I could have kept going at the same tone as the first season.

The Mosaic episode was one of the best episodes of television that I can remember. I thought I'd be spoiled by having read the books a few times, but everything is so different that I've been largely unable to make predictions on what is happening.