Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I always assumed once the Emmalina thing was nixed, Emma's future wasn't very good in WWE. It was obvious they were never gonna elevate her to a main event level, so why keep going with it?

BTW, AIW is running Emma vs Britt this Friday in Cleveland. I am going to that, and I am pretty excited. Emma seems to really be going all in with these indie bookings so far, so my hopes are high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
I haven't overtly asked but I will. She had heat over Emmalina, was on her nth repackage and was injured a couple of times.

WWE had to work around Total Divas and intercompany dating when selecting who to fire too.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Don't expect her to lose much.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Killing the Emmalina gimmick was the best thing Tenille ever did and that she got "heat" for it yet again exposes how creepy and out-of-touch WWE still is

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I was watching Hana Kimura work as a happy peppy babyface in Sendai Girls and the commentators started talking about her being an Oedo Tai member in Stardom. I'm probably thinking about this more than they ever did but how the hell do they recognise those two characters existing as one person in the same kayfabe?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Baron Corbyn posted:

I was watching Hana Kimura work as a happy peppy babyface in Sendai Girls and the commentators started talking about her being an Oedo Tai member in Stardom. I'm probably thinking about this more than they ever did but how the hell do they recognise those two characters existing as one person in the same kayfabe?

I guess in kayfabe you could claim that Hana has a split personality disorder/mentally unstable? I mean losing Tam did send her off the deep end, at least in STARDOM.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Baron Corbyn posted:

Oedo Tai exists to give Rossy a hard time, something people in Sendai take greatmuch glee from.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Japanese commentators seem to play faster and looser with kayfabe in general than announcers from English-speaking countries. I know I've heard even New Japan's commentators discussing who's the heel and who's the face at length, using those exact terms.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Benne posted:

Killing the Emmalina gimmick was the best thing Tenille ever did and that she got "heat" for it yet again exposes how creepy and out-of-touch WWE still is

Yeah, pretty much. It's also why the idea that talent can nix things that they're not comfortable with (like when Jinder claimed he'd NEVER do any kind of racially insensitive promo) is horseshit. Even if you do manage to quash it, it basically kills any chance of a push because you're 'difficult'.

Hinoarashi
Mar 28, 2010

rovert posted:

WWE had to work around Total Divas and intercompany dating when selecting who to fire too.

Is the latter really that big of a corporate concern?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Hinoarashi posted:

Is the latter really that big of a corporate concern?
Probably only in the sense that firing someone whose partner is really big deal on TV might end up biting them in the rear end.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/wwr_stardom/status/966290369267683328

Martina & Candyfloss to tour in April.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Fuka Kakimoto (GM of STARDOM and one of the big wigs there) was hospitalized. Apparently she may be giving birth way earlier than estimated. I think she said she was expecting it around late March/Early April, but its still February.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Really stoked to see Session Moth is Stardom. When she’s not being goofy, there’s a ton of talent in those leopard prints.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

loving love Candyfloss. I've been going to a lot of the Progress shows at the Dome over the past few months and shes consistently one of the best parts of it. She once managed to hulk herself up for a hot tag once by eating a cup cake.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Io is a cool and good person. She donated her merchandise sales from the shows last weekend to the earthquake relief fund in Taiwan (roughly $1850). :unsmith:

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

DarkstarIV posted:

Fuka Kakimoto (GM of STARDOM and one of the big wigs there) was hospitalized. Apparently she may be giving birth way earlier than estimated. I think she said she was expecting it around late March/Early April, but its still February.

Yeah, in her blog she said she's feeling healthy and everything should be fine. She hopes to put in an appearance at Dream Slam on March 28, but she's going to miss everything from now until then at least.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

Io is a cool and good person. She donated her merchandise sales from the shows last weekend to the earthquake relief fund in Taiwan (roughly $1850). :unsmith:

you know I live here and I didn't know there was an earthquake relief fund until I read this post.

The tag title match is up on Stardom World btw.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
is it bants to grind on rossy?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I understand way less of what Martina says than I do of anything any Japanese wrestlers say

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Hard to talk about Martina on social media as she takes praise as a criticism sometimes. But I am really happy for her. Never thought her gimmick would last locally let alone become an international sensation.

People should celebrate it but a lot of fans posting "earned not given" takes don't seem to really understand STARDOM and now random their gaijin talent selections can be.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

rovert posted:

Hard to talk about Martina on social media as she takes praise as a criticism sometimes. But I am really happy for her. Never thought her gimmick would last locally let alone become an international sensation.

People should celebrate it but a lot of fans posting "earned not given" takes don't seem to really understand STARDOM and now random their gaijin talent selections can be.

The Stardom Reddit account has implied that they want foreign talent to approach them rather than the other way round. You know how accurate that is?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

The Stardom Reddit account has implied that they want foreign talent to approach them rather than the other way round. You know how accurate that is?

True. You used to have to apply through Cheerleader Melissa, I guess they want you to attend RISE if you are North American and I know Rossy asks talent for recommendations. Women's Wrestling has never been smaller if the UK, in particular, flying everyone in. Networking is pretty easey especially with social media.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I remember someone from STARDOM saying that they eventually want to run a show or two (of their own) in the US, the big problem is getting all the visas and passports, or getting a company to sponsor/partner with them for it (as well as renting out a venue and selling tickets). The costs would almost certainly outweigh the benefits, unfortunately. Work visas are $190 per person.

They would also probably have to rework their current system for autographs/photos/whatever. Because in Japan its a goddamn mess. Basically you pay like $20 to meet two stars and get a picture and/or autograph from both of them. Problem being is that the lines tend to be long, and the STARDOM staff gets really pissy if they go even slightly over time. I remember reading a story of one guy who bought a ticket to a show and getting some autographs, and he met Kris Wolf. He also got to meet Io but because he was last in line, they tried booting him out, but Io decided to take a picture and sign some stuff for him anyways.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 22, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

When they came here, the shows were run by JVC as in the consumer electronics company which was weird. Hana Kimura got presented with a pair of headphones at the end of the show.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Japanese idol security ops are pretty much the same way, if you get somewhat more than meek&idle, even if totally justifiable, they put the marching order down. Its like they outsourced to a slaughterhouse or something.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I posted about it in the TNA thread, but Impact is trying to sign/bring in Io Shirai apparently. As others pointed out, there is little to no incentive for her to sign. She is STARDOM's highest paid star by a long shot (six digit range apparently), meaning she's almost certainly out of Impact's pay range (as if they'll pay her on time, if ever). The only incentive I could see for her is it would possibly put her back on WWE's radar despite her supposed injuries that had them pull her contract the first time.

Impact can't even use exposure as an argument for it, because their ratings are incredibly low, along with not being able to sell many tickets (last I heard they had sold around 100 tickets) during Wrestlemania weekend. You could probably go to any other show that weekend and see more people.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 22, 2018

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DarkstarIV posted:

I posted about it in the TNA thread, but Impact is trying to sign/bring in Io Shirai apparently. As others pointed out, there is little to no incentive for her to sign. She is STARDOM's highest paid star by a long shot (six digit range apparently), meaning she's almost certainly out of Impact's pay range (as if they'll pay her on time, if ever). The only incentive I could see for her is it would possibly put her back on WWE's radar despite her supposed injuries that had them pull her contract the first time.

Impact can't even use exposure as an argument for it, because their ratings are incredibly low, along with not being able to sell many tickets (last I heard they had sold around 100 tickets) during Wrestlemania weekend. You could probably go to any other show that weekend and see more people.

On the one hand, it would be a pretty sweet get for TNA to pop their sales. On the other, its TNA so there's a high chance they'd cause an international incident by getting Io nabbed in an ICE raid.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

coconono posted:

On the one hand, it would be a pretty sweet get for TNA to pop their sales. On the other, its TNA so there's a high chance they'd cause an international incident by getting Io nabbed in an ICE raid.

Yeah although TNA would have to actually pay her on time and pay what she requests, considering she doesn't have much tolerance for the kind of stupid bullshit TNA pulls on a regular basis. Also I doubt Io alone could pop sales for them. Especially since Stardom is running shows during their taping periods and Wrestlemania weekend.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
In today's Observer Dave says the reason Io isn't in the WOH tournament is that she hopes to get cleared and sign with the WWE.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Norwegian Rudo posted:

In today's Observer Dave says the reason Io isn't in the WOH tournament is that she hopes to get cleared and sign with the WWE.

Yeah it makes sense if you think about it. She has several big names vouching for her. HBK and Undertaker apparently like her ring work/mentality. She also is friends with Asuka and Kairi.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I'm super ok with Io going to WWE. She's done everything there is to do in Stardom, and honestly Stardom doesn't really need her.

Kagetsu and Mayu are both amazing and positioned as the two big names in the big faction feud, with a strong build behind it. Hana is at the top of her character work game, in addition to her actual ringwork being strong. Kyona could be a very strong character, face or heel, and could easily act as the top card gatekeeper. HZK and Momo are good to great workers, and once they break away from the No Fun Club, they could have some fun feuds. Between them and the rotating cast of westerners, that's a really solid top of the card.

Once Toni comes back with the Red Belt, Stardom will be in a really great place, regardless of Io.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Go RV! posted:

I'm super ok with Io going to WWE. She's done everything there is to do in Stardom, and honestly Stardom doesn't really need her.

Kagetsu and Mayu are both amazing and positioned as the two big names in the big faction feud, with a strong build behind it. Hana is at the top of her character work game, in addition to her actual ringwork being strong. Kyona could be a very strong character, face or heel, and could easily act as the top card gatekeeper. HZK and Momo are good to great workers, and once they break away from the No Fun Club, they could have some fun feuds. Between them and the rotating cast of westerners, that's a really solid top of the card.

Once Toni comes back with the Red Belt, Stardom will be in a really great place, regardless of Io.

Yeah and from what I remember, she's expressed frustration with her character work in STARDOM, as its not exactly a secret she wants to go full heel, but they won't let her because she moves a lot of merch. Right now she's a tweener. But I feel like if they brought her into WWE, they could have her be the foil to Kairi (as in she would be the Kevin Owens to Kairi [who would be Sami Zayn]).

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/967225410118283264

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Deonna on social media is trying to draw attention to ROH TV cutting her WOH tournament match this weekend down to a 10-20 second clip.

Before this late last week, ROH's Youtube did a big match dump of WOH first round matches and at that time a number of people paying close attention knew what that signalled - they had already given up on the women's division.

ROH has had 2 years to figure this out.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ROH has never been a great women’s promotion. They got close when they started repping the Shimmer title on shows but that lasted maybe two months.

This current iteration of ROH management seems to want to have women’s wrestling but they treat it like its purely a fringe internet thing.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Io vs Momo was a real good match, check it out. Poor Momo got bloodied up pretty bad though.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

DarkstarIV posted:

Io vs Momo was a real good match, check it out. Poor Momo got bloodied up pretty bad though.

That match was loving great. Stiff as hell, too.

Going back, I think what happened was that Io caught Momo on the nose with the big palm strike right before the finish.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/SHIMMERwomen/status/968337973233242113

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Also RISE has partnered with Impact apparently.

https://twitter.com/risedtwa/status/968307463748571136

RISE is real dumb for partnering with a toxic promotion like Impact.