Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Please take your lovely poetry to the creative convention poetry thread that i wish I could post extremely mean things in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

CestMoi posted:

Please take your lovely poetry to the creative convention poetry thread that i wish I could post extremely mean things in

Please
take your lovely poetry
to the creative convention poetry
thread that i wish I could post ex-
tremely mean things
in

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
I was put in charge of my grandfather's extensive library and would like to catalogue it. So I am looking for an app to scan isbn numbers and a library management program. A bonus would be if the program could automatically detect rare books (but not necessary, it's just that we won't be able to keep everything and it would be a shame to give away something special).

There was talk about cataloging a couple of pages ago and I was hoping to get some input from people with experience, thanks!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The goodreads app can scan ISBNs & such, and you can export your books to csv via the website.

I suppose you can then try using the ISBNs in various book searches to see if any are fetching high prices? Random google hit: http://www.bookfinder4u.com/multi_isbns.html

That said, ISBNs weren't introduced until 1970 so possibly a lot of the books won't have them if the collection is old.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

CestMoi posted:

What would you put forward as good poetry?

Myself, I like Elizabeth Bishop.

At the Fishhouses

Although it is a cold evening,
down by one of the fishhouses
an old man sits netting,
his net, in the gloaming almost invisible,
a dark purple-brown,
and his shuttle worn and polished.
The air smells so strong of codfish
it makes one’s nose run and one’s eyes water.
The five fishhouses have steeply peaked roofs
and narrow, cleated gangplanks slant up
to storerooms in the gables
for the wheelbarrows to be pushed up and down on.
All is silver: the heavy surface of the sea,
swelling slowly as if considering spilling over,
is opaque, but the silver of the benches,
the lobster pots, and masts, scattered
among the wild jagged rocks,
is of an apparent translucence
like the small old buildings with an emerald moss
growing on their shoreward walls.
The big fish tubs are completely lined
with layers of beautiful herring scales
and the wheelbarrows are similarly plastered
with creamy iridescent coats of mail,
with small iridescent flies crawling on them.
Up on the little slope behind the houses,
set in the sparse bright sprinkle of grass,
is an ancient wooden capstan,
cracked, with two long bleached handles
and some melancholy stains, like dried blood,
where the ironwork has rusted.
The old man accepts a Lucky Strike.
He was a friend of my grandfather.
We talk of the decline in the population
and of codfish and herring
while he waits for a herring boat to come in.
There are sequins on his vest and on his thumb.
He has scraped the scales, the principal beauty,
from unnumbered fish with that black old knife,
the blade of which is almost worn away.

Down at the water’s edge, at the place
where they haul up the boats, up the long ramp
descending into the water, thin silver
tree trunks are laid horizontally
across the gray stones, down and down
at intervals of four or five feet.

Cold dark deep and absolutely clear,
element bearable to no mortal,
to fish and to seals . . . One seal particularly
I have seen here evening after evening.
He was curious about me. He was interested in music;
like me a believer in total immersion,
so I used to sing him Baptist hymns.
I also sang “A Mighty Fortress Is Our God.”
He stood up in the water and regarded me
steadily, moving his head a little.
Then he would disappear, then suddenly emerge
almost in the same spot, with a sort of shrug
as if it were against his better judgment.
Cold dark deep and absolutely clear,
the clear gray icy water . . . Back, behind us,
the dignified tall firs begin.
Bluish, associating with their shadows,
a million Christmas trees stand
waiting for Christmas. The water seems suspended
above the rounded gray and blue-gray stones.
I have seen it over and over, the same sea, the same,
slightly, indifferently swinging above the stones,
icily free above the stones,
above the stones and then the world.
If you should dip your hand in,
your wrist would ache immediately,
your bones would begin to ache and your hand would burn
as if the water were a transmutation of fire
that feeds on stones and burns with a dark gray flame.
If you tasted it, it would first taste bitter,
then briny, then surely burn your tongue.
It is like what we imagine knowledge to be:
dark, salt, clear, moving, utterly free,
drawn from the cold hard mouth
of the world, derived from the rocky breasts
forever, flowing and drawn, and since
our knowledge is historical, flowing, and flown.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
are of any of Iris Murdoch's other novels as strange and haunting and excellent as The Unicorn?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

true.spoon posted:

I was put in charge of my grandfather's extensive library and would like to catalogue it. So I am looking for an app to scan isbn numbers and a library management program. A bonus would be if the program could automatically detect rare books (but not necessary, it's just that we won't be able to keep everything and it would be a shame to give away something special).

There was talk about cataloging a couple of pages ago and I was hoping to get some input from people with experience, thanks!

The goodreads app will catalog everything with an ISBN, but it's unlikely that it will catch rare books or collectibles. ISBN's won't tell you what printing a book is, and older books won't have ISBNs.

Look on the inside front cover page of each book and you should see a statement of which printing and edition the book is; if it's a first edition it'll say so right up front.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

chernobyl kinsman posted:

are of any of Iris Murdoch's other novels as strange and haunting and excellent as The Unicorn?

I only read The Sea, The Sea and it was very good

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 25, 2022

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

bertholt brecht was a decent poet imo

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

finnegans wake big old poem imo

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
but are any of the characters likeable?

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
And is the plot any good? (No spoilers please)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

how many dragons?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Is there a superior edition/translation of The Count of Monte-Cristo?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Solitair posted:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ut_7aKmZTy1lq4k

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I got roundly mocked by family members for trying to get people to watch the Wishbone of Hound of the Baskervilles recently.

Solitair posted:

My understanding is that only the modern Robin Buss translation contains the various parts that were cut from prior english translations as "too scandalous," -- drug use and so forth.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The wishbone version of Goethe's Faust will always be the funniest to me

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I got roundly mocked by family members for trying to get people to watch the Wishbone of Hound of the Baskervilles recently.

My understanding is that only the modern Robin Buss translation contains the various parts that were cut from prior english translations as "too scandalous," -- drug use and so forth.

Thanks.

I can barely remember Wishbone. I think I caught a minute or two of the Don Quixote episode as a kid?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Solitair posted:

I can barely remember Wishbone. I think I caught a minute or two of the Don Quixote episode as a kid?

That's me too, I'd forgotten about it and saw a meme and was all "oh poo poo! I could watch that RIGHT NOW if i wanted! I'm a grown rear end adult!" and then people made fun of me for being an adult who wanted to watch children's shows

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

That's me too, I'd forgotten about it and saw a meme and was all "oh poo poo! I could watch that RIGHT NOW if i wanted! I'm a grown rear end adult!" and then people made fun of me for being an adult who wanted to watch children's shows

This one doesn't even have an easily mockable fandom or anything.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

bought Walter Benjamin’s Passages plus collected writing yesterday. there’s a short piece/note from the late 20's where he speaks fondly of Hamsun, but I can’t help but feel that he’d probably revise his opinion on Hamsun had he lived a few more years past 1940.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 21, 2018

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

The goodreads app can scan ISBNs & such, and you can export your books to csv via the website.

I suppose you can then try using the ISBNs in various book searches to see if any are fetching high prices? Random google hit: http://www.bookfinder4u.com/multi_isbns.html

That said, ISBNs weren't introduced until 1970 so possibly a lot of the books won't have them if the collection is old.

The goodreads app will catalog everything with an ISBN, but it's unlikely that it will catch rare books or collectibles. ISBN's won't tell you what printing a book is, and older books won't have ISBNs.

Look on the inside front cover page of each book and you should see a statement of which printing and edition the book is; if it's a first edition it'll say so right up front.
Thanks! In the end scanning turned out to have been an insane idea from the start. Just getting a rough overview of what is there took me 4 hours even though it was somewhat sorted. What is more there are way too many old books and everything being in German doesn't help either.
It does not seem that there are real hidden treasures. My grandfather gave me personally a first edition he is very proud of (Dahn - Kampf um Rom) but beyond the emotional value it is worthless in every aspect (check out Professorenroman if you can read German, it's kind of hilarious).
At the very least sorting is made easier by the fact that a substantial part of the library consists of books about war machines of all kind and about world war 2 in general.
Some nice finds: Complete Goethe, Puschkin, Tolstoi, Balzac, Zola.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If there was Wishbone on Lolita, who would Wishbone play?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Is that Dean Martin

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

WatermelonGun posted:

Is that Dean Martin
Jonathan Richman

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

pospysyl posted:

If there was Wishbone on Lolita, who would Wishbone play?

Nabokov.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento, el coronel Wishbone había de recordar aquella tarde remota en que su padre lo llevó a conocer el hueso.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Increible el primer animal que sono con otro animal en una programa por PBS.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Today's work highlight: changing a reference to "the literature of H. P. Lovecraft" to "the fiction of H. P. Lovecraft".

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Increible el primer animal que sono con otro animal en una programa por PBS.
the circular ruins but wishbone's hind leg keeps thumping to show that he's dreaming

wasn't there a magical realism thread in tbb? i seem to remember that there was one. but looking back i saw that the pale fire botm only got to 2 pages and it made me upset, so.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The magic realism thread is just the fantasy thread for pretentious hipsters

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

The magic realism thread is just the fantasy thread for pretentious hipsters

Thank you.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Pretentious hipsters, the worst kind!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Krankenstyle posted:

poo poo, anything can hit you in the gut if youre in the right/wrong headspace at the moment. no shame imo

but thats a really lovely poem though, and my tastes are at best pedestrian

This post hit me in the funny feels

gorbonic
Feb 13, 2014

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Pride and Prejudice at 200: is it time for a video game?

"...Austen's heroines faced a rigidly hierarchical environment in which every interaction was governed by status..."
And as far as literary genre goes, Jane Austen was recently called a dystopian writer in an author interview with Chandler Klang Smith and it makes a certain sense: "I think that Austen’s novels are among the most dystopian I’ve ever read, in terms of showing characters (especially women) chewed up by a human-made system that slots them into narrow roles."

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Just play Crusader Kings 2 you hack journos.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Regency England is a Death Star of class"

loving end me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

is there any thinkpiece topic more tiresome than "if you think about it, X is Y"