Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Just be glad the sprues have enough rifles for all the soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Well, warlords presidents day sale coincides with me wanting to build up my sharp practice AWI forces. That's a box of Milita, the cannon/commander set and some Hessians with a bonus sprue to make up the numbers. Thanks!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

PSC with more 15mm resin goodies, PRTL and Gepard

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Grey Hunter posted:

Well, warlords presidents day sale coincides with me wanting to build up my sharp practice AWI forces. That's a box of Milita, the cannon/commander set and some Hessians with a bonus sprue to make up the numbers. Thanks!

Warlord sale?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

yeah. bolt action US and all AWI are 20% off.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
My clubmates started playtesting Pike & Shotte, so maaaaaybe I'll find a use for my samurai army for the first time in ten years! I celebrated by continuing to rebase some old cavalry. All ruleset treat samurai cavalry wrong, as if they are some kind of cuirassiers or medieval knights. Really, they rode on sturdy ungelded psycho-ponies, backed up by men on foot who could jog along since the horses were slow as poo poo under all that armour. So I tried to depict that by mixing the two:

Once done these'll take me to about 50 bases all and all, so it's starting to look like an army. :)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

lilljonas posted:

My clubmates started playtesting Pike & Shotte, so maaaaaybe I'll find a use for my samurai army for the first time in ten years! I celebrated by continuing to rebase some old cavalry. All ruleset treat samurai cavalry wrong, as if they are some kind of cuirassiers or medieval knights. Really, they rode on sturdy ungelded psycho-ponies, backed up by men on foot who could jog along since the horses were slow as poo poo under all that armour. So I tried to depict that by mixing the two:

Once done these'll take me to about 50 bases all and all, so it's starting to look like an army. :)

What do you use for basing? Acrylic resin? If so what kind

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Phi230 posted:

What do you use for basing? Acrylic resin? If so what kind

The bases themselves are just cut from thick plasticard, as I didn’t have any of the right size at home. I glued the minis on with PVA glue, and then smeared on a layer of ordinary drywall spackle paste from a DIY shop. That’s pretty much my go-to basing method now. You can smooth out the paste for a sandy basing, or stipple it from above with an old brush to get a more broken terrain type of texture. This will KILL the brush, so use something that’s already beat to hell.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So I've been painting at about 2 models per day

which means I'll finish my French Waterloo force in about...45 days

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I wound up buying a box of US paratroopers from Warlord's President's Day sale.

This now means I own a box of every plastic US infantry they've made. Probably should start painting it...at least I have plenty of options!

Oh, also a TARDIS, which is good for all eras of historical gaming.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Phi230 posted:

So I've been painting at about 2 models per day

which means I'll finish my French Waterloo force in about...45 days

That's actually a quick turnaround.

I paint about two figures a week :v:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I want to give 1/72 a shot, anyone have experience with the infantry sets at this scale? Do you need to actually glaze them with PVA before painting or can you just prime as normal after a quick scrub?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Depends on the plastic really. Also depends what the weapons are like. Sometimes they will be fine and sturdy, other times they will bend and you're almost better off coating them in superglue. What period are you looking at?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Moderns, a company called Caesar makes some nice looking US forces so I would assume barrel bending could be an issue.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I can't pick just one so I'll have to be a...

Senile, prude potato who hit menopause years ago.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

KV-1: Disloyal
Tiger II: Never around
M10: Bald
M26: Always late
Late model M4: Had plastic surgery

:master:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Springfield Fatts posted:

I want to give 1/72 a shot, anyone have experience with the infantry sets at this scale? Do you need to actually glaze them with PVA before painting or can you just prime as normal after a quick scrub?

I've never heard of PVA glazing, but in my experience PVA glue slides right off the material so it would likely only make chipping worse.

Also, bookmark plastic soldier review.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It works, but you have to basically just coat the entire model in it and that gives you a sort of thin PVA skin for paint to adhere to. It seems to be a thing from when people used to paint toy soldiers with enamels over modern acrylic methods though.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

It works, but you have to basically just coat the entire model in it and that gives you a sort of thin PVA skin for paint to adhere to. It seems to be a thing from when people used to paint toy soldiers with enamels over modern acrylic methods though.

Yeah, and for those very soft and bendy plastics.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Looks like Battlefront are going back to Vietnam. I'm sure third time's the charm.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
This one is based on Team Yankee

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I think BF just have a problem making the designated opfor in any of their games someone you'd actually want to play.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
They have an irrational hatred of Communists :ussr:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
And a lust for tanks (which works even less in Vietnam).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Did v4 ruin infantry completely or something? The army deal boxes seem to be very tank heavy.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Colonial Air Force posted:

And a lust for tanks (which works even less in Vietnam).

I have absolutely no idea what the NVA box is T-55s. Surely an infantry company would've been far more iconic?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Did v4 ruin infantry completely or something? The army deal boxes seem to be very tank heavy.

I suspect that they are having internal troubles with the new bendy plastic infantry.

Also the new late-war rules from the preview look painfully generic and have order codes in the organizational chart. So you know exactly what BF kits to buy.

I'm really nonplussed about this direction. But excited to have ordered the OOP Battlegroup Overlord book! I just hope it's actually in stock.

E: I mean the PSC Overlord supplement, not the FoW one.

moths fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 24, 2018

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Battlefront only care about tanks. If the NVA used a single tank during the entire war, then you need to have 50 of them in a normal game.

I actually like the v3 veitnam game. As long as you avoid the tanks its an interesting asymmetrical clash.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Don't play battlefront games but a lot of their minis are ok

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There were only 5 kinds of tank in Vietnam - PT-76, T-54, M41, M48, and Centurion mk 3 - they're going to run out of fodder very quickly.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

NTRabbit posted:

There were only 5 kinds of tank in Vietnam - PT-76, T-54, M41, M48, and Centurion mk 3 - they're going to run out of fodder very quickly.

They're basically making the T-55 kit for Team Yankee like they loving should've done years ago, it's just it's also applicable for post-withdrawal Vietnam so they have something to give it a promotional slot with.

Also there was the sheridan.

I don't think any of the vietnam infantry are bendy plastic, they seem to not actually be making very much in bendy plastic at all, probably because everyone hates it and it looks terrible I guess? No idea why they didn't stick with their hard plastic.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

NTRabbit posted:

Dont forget the M113 Gavin and the Australian M113A1 FSV which had the turret of a Saladin on it And all the other M113 variants that totally count as tanks!

Which, yeah, seems like they're just getting more mileage out of their moulds than anything else TBH, these would all work fine for Team Yankee and Arab-Israeli war settings with a bit of clever moulding.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
And they probably just want to sell you more tanks.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Dont forget the M113 Gavin

:negative:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
CROSS-THREAD COMEDY :dance:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

NTRabbit posted:

how could you possibly forget about the glorious M551 Sheridan

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Acebuckeye13 posted:

how could you possibly forget about the glorious M551 Sheridan

If it's made out of aluminium and shoots Irish missiles does it really count as a tank? :thunk:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 25, 2018

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

The most glorious 80es american tank force! I roped a friend into Team yankee and he went ahead and did his americans like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Frobbe posted:

The most glorious 80es american tank force! I roped a friend into Team yankee and he went ahead and did his americans like this.

Man, I was loosely considering that but boringness won out. That's amazing :allears: