Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

skipThings posted:

Voice chat is good, but it's one of those tools that comes with great responsibilities that Blizzard has to handle and for some reason I don't think they will, or even care to.

I mean you have to opt in to it so if you don't like it then just... don't opt in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean you have to opt in to it so if you don't like it then just... don't opt in?

Unless people start tilting when people don't join voice. Nice to see that the first day went smoothly, it seems.

skipThings posted:

It was really weird today to watch Grubby's stream and everyone was so well behaved in voice chat, even in games his team got stomped. Another streamer, who is trans, just outright stopped playing the game today, because she ( probably rightly so ) feared that she would just get harassed nonstop.

Voice chat is good, but it's one of those tools that comes with great responsibilities that Blizzard has to handle and for some reason I don't think they will, or even care to.

Grubby is a high enough level player that his play experience is probably not what the average player will see.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

skipThings posted:

It was really weird today to watch Grubby's stream and everyone was so well behaved in voice chat, even in games his team got stomped. Another streamer, who is trans, just outright stopped playing the game today, because she ( probably rightly so ) feared that she would just get harassed nonstop.

I watched part of a stream, and the gal asked if anyone wanted to tank or heal and some dude goes full memelord "YOU'RE A GIRL YOU'RE A GIRL YOU'RE A GIRL GIRLS HAVE TO HEAL BECAUSE THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING ELSE LOL" and wouldn't quit being loving stupid until someone else on the team pointed out that she's a streamer who gets featured on the launcher. She usually is plat/diamond, so not like in bronze or silver where you definitely expect idiot assholes every game.

Maybe in time the playerbase will learn to be civil, but if Overwatch is any sort of indicator I'll keep voicechat muted along with teamchat whenever I'm playing HotS.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I haven't played a game yet but I immediately started my game up so I could turn voice chat off straight away, people are massive fuckin' tools and I don't want to hear their poo poo.

For some games I do, I think the only game I use voice chat in is Insurgency but that's because everyone kinda knows regular players now.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SirSamVimes posted:

So people have to choose between being harassed and being at a competitive advantage? Cool. Neat. Totally justifiable.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kyrosiris posted:

So people have to choose between being harassed and being at a competitive advantage? Cool. Neat. Totally justifiable.

It's not like voice chat clients didn't exist before this. I have no interest in listening to randos either but I highly, highly, highly doubt the average group thereof is going to be vastly more coordinated if they opt to use voicechat the same way that simply seeing people together in a stack is no indication that they're going to be better than a group of five strangers.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Kai Tave posted:

It's not like voice chat clients didn't exist before this. I have no interest in listening to randos either but I highly, highly, highly doubt the average group thereof is going to be vastly more coordinated if they opt to use voicechat the same way that simply seeing people together in a stack is no indication that they're going to be better than a group of five strangers.
It's going to have a significant impact on the game at every level of play. Good of voice is going to be another skill that separates good and bad players like not showing on the minimap and landing skill shots.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
After dicking around almost exclusively with Murky, I want to get more seriously into HotS since I've found League insanely frustrating recently, especially with the autofill changes.

If I wanted to devote some time to a handful of characters in each role, who are the inexpensive "starter" picks for each archetype that slot decently into serious team comps? Like one/two champs per role that would be good for a relative HotS beginner to practice on?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

just keep dicking around exclusively with Murky, but do so in the ranked mode

Speaking of ranked, in between last season and now I have gone from silver to diamond. :toot:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Aerox posted:

After dicking around almost exclusively with Murky, I want to get more seriously into HotS since I've found League insanely frustrating recently, especially with the autofill changes.

If I wanted to devote some time to a handful of characters in each role, who are the inexpensive "starter" picks for each archetype that slot decently into serious team comps? Like one/two champs per role that would be good for a relative HotS beginner to practice on?
Heroes under 4k gold/500 gems:

Tank: Muradin, ETC, Diablo
Support: Uther is a good burst healer, LiLi or Malfurion for sustain. Warning, LiLi is the most boring hero in the game.
Solo laner: Sonya, Zagara, Nazeebo
Assassin: Jaina and Valla for ranged, Kerrigan and Thrall for melee.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Warning, LiLi is the most boring hero in the game.

I would have argued Malfurion was more so, but I haven't tried him post-rework yet so maybe that has finally changed.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I had a wack of gems and bought that discount hero pack today. It was half off cuz I had half of em already. Got Kerrigan Zagara Greymane and.. Cant remember for 1k gems.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Charles Bukowski posted:

I had a wack of gems and bought that discount hero pack today. It was half off cuz I had half of em already. Got Kerrigan Zagara Greymane and.. Cant remember for 1k gems.
I completely forgot about the foundation bundle. That bundle has ETC, Li-Ming, Greymane, Lucio, Kerrigan, Uther, Leoric, and Zagara for 2k gems. Those are all great starter heroes, although if you have the gold you should buy the cheaper ones with gold instead of gems before buying the bundle.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

LiLi is as fun as you make it. Meaning run the gently caress in and join the brawl and laugh your way out.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Did Lili's dragon use to attack on its own? I kind of remember getting absolutely insane hero damage with her without even trying, years ago.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I played 5-6 games today, only had people actively talking in one game, and then it was just one dude and everyone else kept typing. Won all of them too, for what its worth (tracer <3)

I know its not statistically significant, but just wanted to pass along another not horrible experience with day one voice chat. Don't be afraid to go into listen only mode.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Muradin is the whole package hey. Stun, slow/attack speed slow, engage/disengage. Trait is super useful for constantly being a menace, and you can build him for a bit more damage.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Olaf The Stout posted:

My biggest HOTS regret of all time is not jumping on the moneypig when it was around.

They initially said that those mounts would be returning when they took them out. Did that ever happen pre-HotS 2.0 or are they LIARS?
I got the pig, but I missed out on the doubloons. Please Blizzard, let me spend my gold on this oversized piece of gold (that I will only end up using on a single hero like all the other mounts).

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Does ana's ult boost genji's ult somehow? I thought it only boosted basic abilities but had some rager saying it worked because genji's ult is on his Q key and Q is the basic ability key.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Does ana's ult boost genji's ult somehow? I thought it only boosted basic abilities but had some rager saying it worked because genji's ult is on his Q key and Q is the basic ability key.

It gives +30% spell power which ought to affect dragonblade as it's not a basic attack, but it won't do anything to reduce its cooldown since ults aren't basic abilities, the dude's wrong about that. It's the reason that Battle Momentum and similar abilities don't affect the cooldown of ults (except for Raynor I think).

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Doesn't Dragonblade replace Shuriken?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

kater posted:

Doesn't Dragonblade replace Shuriken?

I'm not certain if that means it actually becomes a basic ability for the duration or not. It might, I don't really play Genji so I'm not familiar with how his kit intersects with something like nanoboost. At any rate the damage bonus should absolutely apply if nothing else, which means that yeah, nanoing an ulting Genji isn't a waste.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dragonblade receives the spellpower boost (like all heros' ults) but it does not receive the cooldown reduction.

It did on the PTR when Ana was first introduced. That was, uh... interesting.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

It's the reason that Battle Momentum and similar abilities don't affect the cooldown of ults (except for Raynor I think).
There are a few others. Nydus network's cooldown reduction effects itself and illidan's trait works on his ultimates too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Mind over Matter posted:

I would have argued Malfurion was more so, but I haven't tried him post-rework yet so maybe that has finally changed.
He's completely different now since you need to track regrowth on your team, position in moonfire range, and look for opportunities to hit multiple enemies with it to maximize your healing.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
He is also helluva fun nowadays. Probably my favorite healer right now.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Malfurion was never all that easy to play imo. 2 second moonfire cooldown and 5 second cooldown on regrowth requires a lot of button clicking.

Brightwing and Lucio are the easy ones.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

No Wave posted:

Malfurion was never all that easy to play imo. 2 second moonfire cooldown and 5 second cooldown on regrowth requires a lot of button clicking.

Brightwing and Lucio are the easy ones.

Landing your moonfires wasn't integral to his play before though. Now you have a surprisingly difficult to land nuke with a short cool down that you must use or you lose out on a lot of healing.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

bamhand posted:

Landing your moonfires wasn't integral to his play before though. Now you have a surprisingly difficult to land nuke with a short cool down that you must use or you lose out on a lot of healing.

It used to be easier to land thanks to Elune's grace which was more or less the best talent at 4. (+20% range) However that talent was dumped in the rework. Combined with tying his burst healing to landing W on heroes, he's now definitely in the high skill ceiling supports yeah. I think he's stronger than before overall because you can pull sick numbers with good play but the opportunity cost to playing passively is much greater. They should probably update his difficulty tooltip to reflect the fact that he's no longer beginner friendly.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

He's wrong. It used to do that in PTR when it released and this was the end result https://clips.twitch.tv/SillyGiftedJellyfishBudBlast

They promptly hotfixed that because it's kinda stupid.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

It used to be easier to land thanks to Elune's grace which was more or less the best talent at 4. (+20% range) However that talent was dumped in the rework. Combined with tying his burst healing to landing W on heroes, he's now definitely in the high skill ceiling supports yeah. I think he's stronger than before overall because you can pull sick numbers with good play but the opportunity cost to playing passively is much greater. They should probably update his difficulty tooltip to reflect the fact that he's no longer beginner friendly.

Yeah the lack of the range boost makes it incredibly difficult for him to safely land moonfires now. He feels like a much more situational pick instead of a swiss army knife healer. And maybe that's what Blizzard's aim is.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
He's been picked a lot in HGC since the rework, probably the most drafted healer atm.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah I think having a huge AoE silence is always going to leave him popular at the pro level. In regular games though it's a lot to ask for Joe Gold League to keeps his heals on everyone while nailing the enemy team with moonfires while also not over extending and getting dove on.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Whoa, I hadn't paid attention to Malf since he was patched, glad I didn't blindly pick him thinking it would be as easy as it was at his previous height of power. Is reworked Morales "easy" to play? I don't have BW nor Lucio, and I am looking for "easy" and fun supports to play as someone that generally does not like playing support. I did enjoy prenerf Auriel, but I assume she's quite different now too. I've tried Kharazim recently and I just don't find him all that fun. I usually just default to Lili but I am looking for someone else because I don't find her that much more fun than Kharazim.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Lucio, BW, Rehgar, and Stukov are very easy to get decent value out of. I hate playing support but they're all cool, and Rehgar/Stukov have almost ok wave clear.

I would not recommend momo unless you really have some medivac plays in mind. I hate her rework you have to press too many buttons now, i liked her better when her healing was much more powerful but mana was an actual resource and not basically infinite like it is now.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 22, 2018

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
New Morales isn't much harder or easier than old Morales. Your experience in playing her will probably solely depend on team comp. That is if the enemy can dive you, if your team can peel, and if the enemy team has a bunch of AoE or just single target.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Brightwing is super fun on the big maps that have a lot of laning. You can pretty much win every lane if your team doesn't die. I don't know if it's still the best but Z build is my favourite with blink heal or emerald wind.

Bwing has a high skill floor, but also a really high skill ceiling. I'd say if you want to learn to actually enjoy playing support and not just mashing buttons on cooldown she's the way to go.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Uther is fun as someone who also doesn't love playing supports. He kind-of feels like a mix between a tank, bruiser, and healer. His kit is pretty straightforward but also feels very punishing if you mess up due to long heal cooldowns.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Christ I think I might have to shelve my plans of being useful with Vikings; anytime I communicate my intent to pick them for HL it's immediately shot down by the rest of the team, and nearly all my QM matches involve getting all my Vikings systematically-purged/bullied from the lane by wandering assassins.

Map awareness is getting better, but holy poo poo is it demotivating to see a Genji beelining for Eric, have me pull him back to a friendly fort before he gets there to wait for help, then look at Olaf for about five seconds (because I stupidly attack-moved him into towers again) only to hear a "This might not go the way you think it will" except he doesn't even get to "might" before he's deleted and you discover that Genji hopped over a wall and 3-shot Eric before dashing away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Olaf The Stout posted:

Also if you are vikings and your team even slightly begins to lose, expect a 4 man dogpile of tilt to fall onto your head.

I was told to kill myself earlier this week. Haven't played with voice chat yet. Should be fun!