Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Holy poo poo. In my running game of WitP, I decided to send Houston, Australia, Canberra, the associated light cruisers, and the asiatic destroyers out prowling around the solomon sea... It paid off.

That's one way to prevent the Japanese from taking New Guinea, I guess...

:stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That'll make a bit of an impact on the war.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MrYenko posted:

Holy poo poo. In my running game of WitP, I decided to send Houston, Australia, Canberra, the associated light cruisers, and the asiatic destroyers out prowling around the solomon sea... It paid off.

Spectacular !

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
The Silent Service rises from the depths on March 1st
http://store.steampowered.com/app/785930/Command_The_Silent_Service/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wikzTukjK4o

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

MrYenko posted:

:drat:

I sunk a convoy with about 20k Japanese troops in the Bay of Bengal in my game and was pretty jazzed about that, but this is insane.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Athaboros posted:

Today's episode of the Three Moves Ahead podcast is about CMANO; it's Troy Goodfellow, Bruce Geryk, and Michael Hermes talking about the game. I haven't played it myself, but after giving it a listen I'm tempted to pick up one of the smaller scenario packs.

Also, Baloogan's tutorials get a shoutout, which was amusing to me.

OMG the the Matrix forum about this episode is gold :discourse:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4437295

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

MrYenko posted:

In the ocean,
Pacific ocean,
the sharks feed well tonight,
torpedo away, 'pedo away, 'pedo away...

:unsmigghh:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Jutland is cool as hell it's like a 3d rule the waves minus the shipbuilding

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Phi230 posted:

Jutland is cool as hell it's like a 3d rule the waves minus the shipbuilding

Didn't the studio/publisher go under and get taken over by a much worse Russian company?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Didn't the studio/publisher go under and get taken over by a much worse Russian company?

yeah I bought it from a shady website and had to download it from this shady steam knockoff

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I thought it was interesting how they talked about how they were un-used to worrying about sensors so much. Sensors were very much a concern in Harpoon as well. They must have been horrible Harpoon players. While a primary concern of commanders has always been finding the enemy, managing a wide variety of sensors with varying degrees of effectiveness is also a characteristic of modern warfare.

Command is the kind of game that appeals to people who want to learn something about post-WWII warfare. That era has been characterized by an ever increasing reliance on aircraft, sensors, missiles and precision guided weapons, as well as a distance scale that's blurred the distinction between the various levels of war. When a single battle requires global movement just to support tactical level operations, and the outcome of a battle depends as much on deception, stealth and sensing as it does on concentrating firepower from platforms scattered halfway across the globe, is it any wonder that the learning curve will be steep? In order to have a faithful representation of things at all you need to capture that somehow. I can't help but think that their mixed review says a lot about their lack of understanding of modern warfare, and how the technologies that have evolved during and since WWII have changed warfare.

edit: oh my this is amazing all of it the whole thread

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 21, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

algebra testes posted:

I thought it was interesting how they talked about how they were un-used to worrying about sensors so much. Sensors were very much a concern in Harpoon as well. They must have been horrible Harpoon players. While a primary concern of commanders has always been finding the enemy, managing a wide variety of sensors with varying degrees of effectiveness is also a characteristic of modern warfare.

If there's anything I learned from watching my dad play hundreds of hours of Harpoon, it's that you never turn on active radar except for the E-3 Sentry or the E-2 Hawkeye, and those AWACS need to be CAP'd as gently caress.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Phi230 posted:

yeah I bought it from a shady website and had to download it from this shady steam knockoff
Like Steam but it's called Steem.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

And this comes with the new tutorials? Instant buy, in that case.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

algebra testes posted:

Command is the kind of game that appeals to people who want to learn something about post-WWII warfare. That era has been characterized by an ever increasing reliance on aircraft, sensors, missiles and precision guided weapons, as well as a distance scale that's blurred the distinction between the various levels of war. When a single battle requires global movement just to support tactical level operations, and the outcome of a battle depends as much on deception, stealth and sensing as it does on concentrating firepower from platforms scattered halfway across the globe, is it any wonder that the learning curve will be steep? In order to have a faithful representation of things at all you need to capture that somehow. I can't help but think that their mixed review says a lot about their lack of understanding of modern warfare, and how the technologies that have evolved during and since WWII have changed warfare.

edit: oh my this is amazing all of it the whole thread

The recognition that the game requires an in depth knowledge of post WW2 naval/aerial warfare and also the viewing of multiple manuals, online tutorials and guides in order to play, yet failure to consider that in TYOOL 2018 someone might fairly consider this to be a flaw really is something.

Also the 'it's not a game, it's a simulation' line being employed in order to handwave away why this video game should not be measured against the same criteria.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What did you guys even say in the podcast to anger the grog

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The most unreasonable take I found in that podcast was being incensed at the ability to pause the game, while also realizing that managing those many assets would be impossible in real-time, and never putting the two together that perhaps the reason this is so is because the player is doing the job of an entire staff.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

gradenko_2000 posted:

The most unreasonable take I found in that podcast was being incensed at the ability to pause the game, while also realizing that managing those many assets would be impossible in real-time, and never putting the two together that perhaps the reason this is so is because the player is doing the job of an entire staff.

This is actually v. realistic in that there are many (poo poo) commanders who would love nothing better than to micromanage everything their command does and who lament the fact that there aren't enough hours in the day to personally hover over everyone's shoulder.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Tomn posted:

This is actually v. realistic in that there are many (poo poo) commanders who would love nothing better than to micromanage everything their command does and who lament the fact that there aren't enough hours in the day to personally hover over everyone's shoulder.

You must know my last boss.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It probably barely counts as grog (hey, it's published by Slytherine...), but Panzer General knockoff Warhammer 40k: Armageddon is :10bux: on GOG right now.

Anyone know how bad it is?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I only ever played the first few missions but all I can remember was that it was cheaper to take the shittiest conscripts and put them in an apc than to buy an apc by itself.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Naval Combat: why are guns so loving inaccurate

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

It probably barely counts as grog (hey, it's published by Slytherine...), but Panzer General knockoff Warhammer 40k: Armageddon is :10bux: on GOG right now.

Anyone know how bad it is?

I wonder what a groggy wh40k game would look like. CMANO with Fighta-Bommerz. Combat Mission but with physics-accurate Bolters.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Progress on Close Combat: The Bloody First...there’s now an official Matrix page!

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/product.asp?gid=686

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Phi230 posted:

Naval Combat: why are guns so loving inaccurate

Because otherwise missile manufacturers would go broke.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Progress on Close Combat: The Bloody First...there’s now an official Matrix page!

Well, they got the audio right. More screams to haunt your dreams.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
What is it with the 1st Infantry Division? That's like the go-to if they're not doing airborne or Rangers.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

What is it with the 1st Infantry Division? That's like the go-to if they're not doing airborne or Rangers.

Yeah the 4th and 9th had similar histories in they did North Africa -> Italy and then D-Day I think, so you get the same variety.
I'd always thought a different division would be more unique and interesting or whatever.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

algebra testes posted:

Yeah the 4th and 9th had similar histories in they did North Africa -> Italy and then D-Day I think, so you get the same variety.
I'd always thought a different division would be more unique and interesting or whatever.

Speaking of Italy, I wouldn't mind more games there. It's kind of a blindspot and it's really strange. Even movies basically ignore it, even back to the 50s and 60s when you would think the significant Italian presence in American society would encourage coverage.

Most games might have a level or two and that's it. Sniper Elite 4 and Medal of Honor Breakthrough are the only shooters I can recall most of the game in Italy. As far as RTS, I'm drawing a blank.

I guess it's because it wasn't a tremendous Allied victory?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
CMANO questions:

I was playing around with the Mumar Cadaver community scenario last night, the one with the Los Angeles-class that needs to sink four Libyan merchants. My first run-through, I manage to completely sink three (and one Foxtrot), but I used up all my torpedoes to do it, and then misread that there was still one more.

My second run-through, I used manual weapons control to only shoot two torpedoes each to the four merchants, but then they wouldn't sink. I guess the game models damage control? One of the merchants even starting running away at a slow 7 knots until I hit it again. In these cases, would Harpoons have been better, or should I have just waited longer for them to sink? I was kind of expecting that modern torpedoes would gently caress up merchants real bad.

_________

In another scenario, the one with a small Spanish CVL TF running an ASW exercise, what I did was to look-up the stats of the Guppy II submarine that was supposed to be the OPFOR, see that the effective range of its torpedoes was something like 3nm, set-up a 4-point patrol area that's 6nm away from the carrier, set the points to be relative bearing against the carrier, and then assigned all of my helis to an ASW mission against the patrol area.

I managed to get the TF to the port without so much as a peep, and the helis took shifts patrolling as they should, but it was hard to get a sense of whether or not it actually worked since I never detected anything of note. Do I still need to micro-manage dropping sonoubouys and stuff, or is that automated? How do you actually run ASW ops? The whole "patrol at twice the range of a torpedo's range" seemed like common sense, but I had nothing else to go on, really.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wonder what a groggy wh40k game would look like. CMANO with Fighta-Bommerz. Combat Mission but with physics-accurate Bolters.

Wow, I never knew how badly I wanted this until just now...

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I can't tell if that looks better or worse than 2d.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

Speaking of Italy, I wouldn't mind more games there. It's kind of a blindspot and it's really strange. Even movies basically ignore it, even back to the 50s and 60s when you would think the significant Italian presence in American society would encourage coverage.

Most games might have a level or two and that's it. Sniper Elite 4 and Medal of Honor Breakthrough are the only shooters I can recall most of the game in Italy. As far as RTS, I'm drawing a blank.

I guess it's because it wasn't a tremendous Allied victory?
The only two Italy-centric games I can recall on the more grognardy side are:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/310/details/Battles.in.Italy

And Combat Mission: Fortress Italy. There are some big scenarios for TOAW though.

I remember watching my brother play CM:FI and it was pretty neat. He was running it as the Italians during a big counter-attack in Sicily right after the American landings. The actual Italian force (and it was pretty big, several battalions) was in reality destroyed by naval gunfire. He was playing the Italians like a World War I army and was successful in the scenario, but you kinda have to play the Italians like a WWI force.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

He was playing the Italians like a World War I army and was successful in the scenario, but you kinda have to play the Italians like a WWI force.

I find this remark intriguing. What makes that a necessity? Force quality? Equipment availability? Both?

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was playing around with the Mumar Cadaver community scenario last night, the one with the Los Angeles-class that needs to sink four Libyan merchants. My first run-through, I manage to completely sink three (and one Foxtrot), but I used up all my torpedoes to do it, and then misread that there was still one more.

My second run-through, I used manual weapons control to only shoot two torpedoes each to the four merchants, but then they wouldn't sink. I guess the game models damage control? One of the merchants even starting running away at a slow 7 knots until I hit it again. In these cases, would Harpoons have been better, or should I have just waited longer for them to sink? I was kind of expecting that modern torpedoes would gently caress up merchants real bad.
Big merchies are surprisingly durable. During the "Tanker Wars" in the Gulf, a common tactic to brute-force through suspected minefields was to put the biggest crude tanker in front, have it absorb the mine impacts and go on, and everyone else trailed behind on the same path.

The Soviet 65-73 monster torp (the one that probably exploded inside Kursk) was developed not only to attack aircraft carriers and amphibs but also to one-shot kill big merchies.

quote:

In another scenario, the one with a small Spanish CVL TF running an ASW exercise, what I did was to look-up the stats of the Guppy II submarine that was supposed to be the OPFOR, see that the effective range of its torpedoes was something like 3nm, set-up a 4-point patrol area that's 6nm away from the carrier, set the points to be relative bearing against the carrier, and then assigned all of my helis to an ASW mission against the patrol area.

I managed to get the TF to the port without so much as a peep, and the helis took shifts patrolling as they should, but it was hard to get a sense of whether or not it actually worked since I never detected anything of note. Do I still need to micro-manage dropping sonoubouys and stuff, or is that automated? How do you actually run ASW ops? The whole "patrol at twice the range of a torpedo's range" seemed like common sense, but I had nothing else to go on, really.
Your patrol setup was sensible. ASW and sub ops are often reminiscent of "Mutara Nebula" hide-and-seek. It's not uncommon for neither side to find the other, particularly if the arena is large. Operationally this usually favors the surface force because they typically have to go from A to B unmolested and prefer to avoid contact (unless it's an ASW force actively hunting out subs). This is part of why subs love offboard cueing by outside spotters (FW-200s in WW2, MPAs and even satellites today), it makes their hunt much more efficient.

Dropping sonobuoys, dipping sonars etc. are all handled by units automatically when you assign them to ASW patrol / strike. You can intervene manually at any point but you don't have to.

An effective way to see in retrospect what happened (ie. why you didn't stumble upon each other) is to use the recorder through your play session and then rewatch the "tape", switching sides to see what the other side was seeing.

Dimitris fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 22, 2018

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

The recognition that the game requires an in depth knowledge of post WW2 naval/aerial warfare and also the viewing of multiple manuals, online tutorials and guides in order to play, yet failure to consider that in TYOOL 2018 someone might fairly consider this to be a flaw really is something.
If that had been what she actually said.

quote:

Also the 'it's not a game, it's a simulation' line being employed in order to handwave away why this video game should not be measured against the same criteria.
Okay, then let's directly compare Falcon 4.0 with Super Mario Land while we're at it.

Dimitris fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 22, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you, this was very informative!

Dimitris posted:

An effective way to see in retrospect what happened (ie. why you didn't stumble upon each other) is to use the recorder through your play session and then rewatch the "tape", switching sides to see what the other side was seeing.
I will definitely be trying this as well.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

I find this remark intriguing. What makes that a necessity? Force quality? Equipment availability? Both?
Yeah. They lack radios and possibly even lack them at the company level, perhaps only starting at the battalion HQ, which translates to poor C2 which in game terms means slow artillery times (must do big preprep barrages), lower morale if units are separated, etc. You have large squads that cannot be split into smaller ones, so they can't really be effective unless you move them like a really big mass. Lots of rifles. And their tanks are practically tankettes.

My bro had them charge a U.S. unit that way, and managed to get an entire Italian battalion to advance to a firing line and start blazing away with Carcano rifles, which was pretty wicked to see. Some of the Italian officers might've had feathers in their caps but I might be imagining that.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 22, 2018

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fortress Italy is my combat mission game and gently caress it I honestly think it was worth the money for the sheer variety of dumb poo poo you can do in that game.

You get, mountains, flat terrain, summer, winter (with snow) a bunch of minor nation allies, lol italian ww1 units etc. The only thing that Fortress Italy lacks is like, the "cool poo poo" late war tanks and stuff but they were as of like 2 years ago going to add that in.

I know battlefront suck but goddamnit I had my fun.

edit: if the new expansion has like, loving weird versions of Panzer tanks that only rarely appeared in theater but lacks African American Soldiers for the US I'm going to be seriously real mad.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Yeah. They lack radios and possibly even lack them at the company level, starting at the battalion HQ, which translates to poor C2 which in game terms means slow artillery times (must do big preprep barrages), lower morale if units are separated, etc. You have large squads that cannot be split into smaller ones, so they can't really be effective unless you move them like a really big mass. Lots of rifles. And their tanks are practically tankettes.

My bro had them charge a U.S. unit that way, and managed to get an entire Italian battalion to advance to a firing line and start blazing away with Carcano rifles, which was pretty wicked to see. Some of the Italian officers might've had feathers in their caps but I might be imagining that.

Some Italian units have weird plumes on their helmets I'm like 90% sure.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

algebra testes posted:

Some Italian units have weird plumes on their helmets I'm like 90% sure.

Bersaglieri