Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

"that's eloheep spelled backwards!" - road "the next kevin dunn" dogg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

D.N. Nation posted:

HHH annihilating his quads was pretty gruesome; was there any "just hang it up, Trips" talk at the time?

I remember even in like 2004 Trips was giving interviews saying he would probably only last two more years

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Spuckuk posted:

Other than Steve Austin, has anyone come back to regular wrestling from a really rough injury like that?

Give me hope for Shibata, basically.

Sid Vicious

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sid never really wrestled regularly after that and even 2 years later was limited to promos in the WWA. He's wrestled but not a ton.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
When (and why) did they stop calling the 'crossbody' the 'crossbody block'?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

DopeGhoti posted:

When (and why) did they stop calling the 'crossbody' the 'crossbody block'?

Probably laziness. One less syllable in a common term can be a welcome difference for people, like wrestling announcers, who get paid for talking rapidly for hours at a time.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What are some examples of something genuinely shocking and genuinely really important happening in this age of twitters and widely disseminated dirtsheets and SCOOPZ?

Off the top of my head, I can think of Okada beating Tanahashi in 2012. Given what it was for and what it led to, would that be the biggest example?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Hardys coming back at Wrestlemania.

While it did hit Twitter just before, it wasn't widely known because the show had started by then.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Did anybody know Rey Mysterio was going to be at the Royal Rumble?

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

VJeff posted:

What are some examples of something genuinely shocking and genuinely really important happening in this age of twitters and widely disseminated dirtsheets and SCOOPZ?

Off the top of my head, I can think of Okada beating Tanahashi in 2012. Given what it was for and what it led to, would that be the biggest example?

Punk's walk out.

Daniel Bryan's retirement.

Brock Lesnar's initial return.

Y2J in New Japan.

E: Undertaker losing to Lesnar at Wrestlemania should probably be here too.

Price Check fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 22, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah Jericho is a huge one, that's true.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Rey definitely counts as surprising, but it was only a one-off, so I dunno how important it is. Although who knows, maybe it's what put Rey on the radar to lead to him working with NJPW. I dunno if Punk and Bryan count because those weren't planned, they were forced by real life. Jericho and Lesnar breaking the streak definitely count.

Jericho's a weird case in that it had reached the point where most savvy people had expected Omega vs. Jericho, but I think most people thought they would wrestle on the boat or maybe Supercard of Honor, not freaking Wrestle Kingdom. The thought of that match taking place on a boat now seems so ridiculous in retrospect.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think most of the cruise speculation was because people thought it was in 2017. It's not until later this year.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Wasn't Shane's comeback kinda surprising too? I guess Neville loving off could count too, it made 205 a mess that only now is getting better again.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VJeff posted:

Rey definitely counts as surprising, but it was only a one-off, so I dunno how important it is. Although who knows, maybe it's what put Rey on the radar to lead to him working with NJPW. I dunno if Punk and Bryan count because those weren't planned, they were forced by real life. Jericho and Lesnar breaking the streak definitely count.

Jericho's a weird case in that it had reached the point where most savvy people had expected Omega vs. Jericho, but I think most people thought they would wrestle on the boat or maybe Supercard of Honor, not freaking Wrestle Kingdom. The thought of that match taking place on a boat now seems so ridiculous in retrospect.

Uh, Kenny's doing the cruise, so it's pretty likely they will do a rematch on the boat.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
There were whispers of Lesnar’s 2012 return online but they were dismissed by most. His music hitting was a massive surprise.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Justin Godscock posted:

There were whispers of Lesnar’s 2012 return online but they were dismissed by most. His music hitting was a massive surprise.

I definitely recall some Brock-related signs in the crowd.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Nakamura and Styles jumping to WWE is definitely up there, it was shocking enough that New Japan changed its contract structure to prevent mass poachings

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Did anybody know Rey Mysterio was going to be at the Royal Rumble?

I think RobViper on Twitter did he's a well connected Lucha fan, a friend of Rey and a Highspots employee.

But they people who I usually ask about Rey didn't at all.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

VJeff posted:

It's going back maybe too far, but John Cena coming in at #30 in the Rumble when he was widely understood to be six months away from competing again. The live thread was pretty fun when that happened.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just the memory of that voicemail MRT left just losing his loving mind about Cena coming out always makes me laugh. :allears:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Just the memory of that voicemail MRT left just losing his loving mind about Cena coming out always makes me laugh. :allears:

Imagine if Scotsman had picked up his phone and I hadn't been able to leave a message.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Imagine if Scotsman had picked up his phone and I hadn't been able to leave a message.

Hopefully he was too busy flipping out as well to answer :allears:

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Cena coming out at no. 30 was magical. That was the point where I decided "gently caress it, I'm rooting for him."

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

It was magical because everyone lost their minds.

And then they remember how much they hated Cena and felt conflicted.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

please tell me we have audio or a transcript of this

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

rare Magic card l00k posted:

please tell me we have audio or a transcript of this

one of the first wrestlehut audio things i ever heard was that call lol i think its on youtube? it is not.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Resident Idiot posted:

It's going back maybe too far, but John Cena coming in at #30 in the Rumble when he was widely understood to be six months away from competing again. The live thread was pretty fun when that happened.

May anyone have a link to that moment in the live thread?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Ghostpilot posted:

May anyone have a link to that moment in the live thread?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2754922&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=47

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Woo boy I was maaad

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jack Anderson posted:

Cena coming out at no. 30 was magical. That was the point where I decided "gently caress it, I'm rooting for him."
Man, that was such an amazing moment... And "gently caress it, this is awesome, Cena is awesome" were my thoughts as well .:allears:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VJeff posted:

The Rock coming back announcing he was going to host WrestleMania in 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgJSvWTionE

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

We're all living in Banjo's world now

I hope we see Banjo again, though I fear he may be fading from this world as John Cena's wrestling career winds down :ohdear:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Weaklings and frauds; Cena is never and will never be good.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he was good for a while but not for a couple years now

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Part time status does not seem to be doing for him what it did for Taker, that's for sure. Feels like he's showing up because they ask him too rather than because it's what he wants to be doing at this point.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My view on John softened greatly some time ago. Dude works insanely hard and blaming him for WWE's creative laziness seemed unfair. However, one thing I was a bit surprised Roman never brought up during their little worked shoot promo segment was how John, once upon a time, made it clear that he didn't think much of Rock referring to WWE as his home and then buggering off again to go do movies and whatnot.

Yet around that time, that is precisely what John had done, and continues to do. I don't have a problem with it because I'm tired of wrestlers dying young, and I'm glad John's realized he couldn't keep up his insane pace forever. I guess even though the segment was supposed to poke at sensitive nerves and whatnot there were still some no-no topics. Which is fine, but it might have made Roman look better to point out what a huge hypocrite John came off as in kayfabe.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Did Roman really not bring that up? I know Miz did in the leadup to their Wrestlemania match. It seems like the lowest hanging fruit to grab at.

e: Hell, Dean did back when they were feuding and gave us the classic line "Have fun being the guy who plays John Cena on TV."

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 23, 2018

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's funny in 2007 my opinion was the Cena/Umaga LMS match was slightly overrated (excellent but not MOTY) and Cena himself was slightly underrated, but not great.

Being there for that Rumble sure made me a true believer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

El Gallinero Gros posted:

My view on John softened greatly some time ago. Dude works insanely hard and blaming him for WWE's creative laziness seemed unfair. However, one thing I was a bit surprised Roman never brought up during their little worked shoot promo segment was how John, once upon a time, made it clear that he didn't think much of Rock referring to WWE as his home and then buggering off again to go do movies and whatnot.

Yet around that time, that is precisely what John had done, and continues to do. I don't have a problem with it because I'm tired of wrestlers dying young, and I'm glad John's realized he couldn't keep up his insane pace forever. I guess even though the segment was supposed to poke at sensitive nerves and whatnot there were still some no-no topics. Which is fine, but it might have made Roman look better to point out what a huge hypocrite John came off as in kayfabe.

I'm relatively certain Roman did exactly that. Like, he cut a promo very specifically going after John for specifically that exact thing with very specific callbacks to one of John's promos on the Rock on like exactly that subject.

Anyway yeah he's really not much in the WWE anymore and hasn't been since early 2017, but.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbSPFq3EF_M

John Cena will always be Good.