Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

e: Also I finally cooked something healthy and delicious at the same time! Pork Tenderloin and peas. I'm probably going to eat tenderloins most of the time for a while now. They are super easy to cook and not gently caress up. 415 in the oven, pull it out as soon as it hits 160-165 in the center. Going to try marinading it next time for better results I'm sure.

I pull my tenderloin around 145 and let it rest to 150; that cut of pork can still be a little pink and you'll be fine. Drives my wife nuts though, so I have a second piece on hand that I'll just do to 165.

Wish I could eat normal food; I'm mainlining Theraflu and Gatorade, and feeling twitchy already that I'm missing a workout because of being sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ah, I thought it best not to try that with pork, but I love my steaks to be medium rare so I'm going to try that out next time. Can you leave those oven thermometers in there while they cook or will the ambient heat gently caress up the reading?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
I actually have a remote one. The metal probe sticks in the meat while it's cooking and a wire runs out of the oven from the probe to a transmitter, which broadcasts to a receiver I can take with me in the house. My last meat thermometer was a POS so I invested in this and it was well worth it.

Works great for grilling too!

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Tried out high bar tonight, although only at 135. I'm surprised I was able to stay that upright, considered what happened with the front squats last time. Although this time I stretched my calves and had my heels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhoXLnUCvRE&feature=youtu.be Good, Bad? Don't feel like posting it in form check, that thread doesn't get much traffic and until I actually do a challenging weight I probably won't notice anything glaring.

trying pointing your elbows downwards because that will give you a more stable shelf and you won't feel yourself leaning forward as much

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
used lifting straps for the first time today. I feel like these things are making my grip worse and just making the bar too bulky. What's the big fuss about them?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Grump posted:

used lifting straps for the first time today. I feel like these things are making my grip worse and just making the bar too bulky. What's the big fuss about them?

You're using them wrong.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Grump posted:

They stop the bar from rolling in your hand without having to alternate grip or abuse your thumbs. You still have to actively grip the bar.

That said straps can make things worse if you have tiny hands.

If you don't have tiny hands and still have problems make sure you're using them right. They go around the back of the hand not the wrist. Pull them tight and hold them ready before you bend over to put them on. Start with your less dexterous hand. Warp them around the opposite side of the bar once or twice. Don't let them bunch up in one spot on the bar. It takes some practice to find the right tightness. Squeeze the poo poo out of the bar.

Also washing them a few times helps make them more pliable and put a little chalk on them before using.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Don't pull them tight around your wrist.

The only way I can imagine them making grip worse is if you wrap them the wrong way around the bar.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Is there supposed to be any more overlap when you wrap them around the bar a second time?

Because that’s what’s making it a bit bulky for me

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aTTQdbSO50&t=240s

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

sassassin posted:

Don't pull them tight around your wrist.

The only way I can imagine them making grip worse is if you wrap them the wrong way around the bar.
I said not to put them around the wrists and I've seen people wrap them around the bar on the same side as thier fingers and then wonder why they aren't helping.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Guyver posted:

I said not to put them around the wrists and I've seen people wrap them around the bar on the same side as thier fingers and then wonder why they aren't helping.

They shouldn't be tight until they're wrapped around the bar and you've revved the bike a few times.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Pulling the slack out of them before starting to wrapping them around the bar seems to help get them into place.

Though I guessing you're talking about the straps that have a loop in them. So "pull them tight" has a different connotation in that context.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Ah, I thought it best not to try that with pork, but I love my steaks to be medium rare so I'm going to try that out next time. Can you leave those oven thermometers in there while they cook or will the ambient heat gently caress up the reading?

If you're in the US it's fine to have your pork slightly pink. The temperature guidelines were lowered in the last couple years because trichinosis is incredibly rare here.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Learn to sous vide pork and sear it and you'll have cheap delicious meat forever

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Guyver posted:

Pulling the slack out of them before starting to wrapping them around the bar seems to help get them into place.

Though I guessing you're talking about the straps that have a loop in them. So "pull them tight" has a different connotation in that context.

There's no reason to waste money on the more expensive kind.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Defiant Sally posted:

Today I deadlifted 245 for 15 and it was a mistake.

I had 265 for 6 sets of 15 after my 6 sets of 15 front squats last cycle. it was the worst.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

sassassin posted:

There's no reason to waste money on the more expensive kind.

I got these rubber straps and they pull on my wrists less/scrape my palms less than regular cloth straps. They're like 35 bucks? Not that much more expensive. Definitely prefer them after using straps for a year+. It's all personal preference and no reason to use them if regular ones work fine for you though.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Personally I prefer two lengths of seat belt cut out of a car in the junkyard.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bamhand posted:

I got these rubber straps and they pull on my wrists less/scrape my palms less than regular cloth straps. They're like 35 bucks? Not that much more expensive. Definitely prefer them after using straps for a year+. It's all personal preference and no reason to use them if regular ones work fine for you though.

I don't know what the exchange rate is like these days but that's almost 10x what I paid for mine.

How do either type scrape your palms?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

sassassin posted:

I don't know what the exchange rate is like these days but that's almost 10x what I paid for mine.

How do either type scrape your palms?

Regular straps are about 10 bucks on Amazon. An extra 20-25 on top of that doesn't really bother me.

The straps still press up against your hands when you lift. I get callous build up on my palms even with straps.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

as i fall asleep i think of lifting

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

baw posted:

as i fall asleep i think of lifting

Very good.
https://www.strongerbyscience.com/strong-starts-mind-benefits-active-imagery-lifters/

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bamhand posted:

The straps still press up against your hands when you lift. I get callous build up on my palms even with straps.

Grip with your fingers not the centre of your palm.

Pulling the straps tight before winding can lead to using an incorrect grip like that.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's not the center of my palm. It's where my fingers meet my palm. Which is the correct way to grip it afaik.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

:love::love::love:

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Always feels like my palm where my first knuckles are, the skin pinches against the bar and my fingers. Not sure why, but that's my hand story.

Late to the party but Holy poo poo does chalk make a world of difference. Did rack pulls and chalk helped my sweaty goony hands not slip and be super uncomfortable.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Grab the bar one knuckle down your fingers.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Dilber posted:

I had 265 for 6 sets of 15 after my 6 sets of 15 front squats last cycle. it was the worst.

I could have easily done more, but I had taken Adderall earlier in the day and I didn't want to literally die.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Defiant Sally posted:

I could have easily done more, but I had taken Adderall earlier in the day and I didn't want to literally die.

Yeah, I had to drop caffeine on the leg days of that cycle because my heart would beat so drat hard.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Wait, so is this purposely a thing to keep you from just putting your knees too far forward to see if you lack flexibility elsewhere or am I still misunderstanding?

So with the front squat, you have a lot of limiting factors that you don't have on the back squat, or even overheard squat for that matter.

You have mobility requirements from the lat, wrist, forearm, thoracic spine, hips, quads, etc

It's a squat that doesn't involve the hamstrings that much (which is why i like it because i have a :poland: butt)

A lot of people use equipment to get around the problems. For example, if I have bad ankles, I'm going to lean forward in my squat. Now the bar is no longer resting on my shoulders, but being supported by my hands. It turns into a top-of-barbell-curl squat.

Conversely, maybe my ankle mobility is okay, but my front rack is complete trash, or my thoracic mobility is nonexistent, and lifting shoes help me get around this because they put me in a manageable position.

a way to do figure out where the real limiting factor is is to do a lightweight front squat as close to the wall as you can.

Knees going forward is...not necessarily bad, but leaning forward is, and if you star a squat and your upper back lights up, or your arms start dropping, then you know where your problem is.

The best way is just to film it and send it to someone. You can feel free to PM me a video if you want me to look at it. Then you can figure out whats holding you back and start doing targeted stretching and mobility drills.

Front squat is one of the most challenging yet rewarding lifts. It leads to olympic lifting which are the most fun and rewarding lifting experiences of any lifter's life. Congratulations on the journey you're about to embark on!

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Dilber posted:

Yeah, I had to drop caffeine on the leg days of that cycle because my heart would beat so drat hard.

I'm actually still on meso 1, just wrapped up the last day of week 4. To do a vertical pull day after the leg day I had is madness. This is the most smoked I've ever been. I'm actually looking forward to the deload week for once.

Don't cry for me, I'm already dead.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Grump posted:

Is there supposed to be any more overlap when you wrap them around the bar a second time?

Because that’s what’s making it a bit bulky for me

don't overlap the straps.wrap them evenly along the bar.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I think i want to start taking steroids

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather

Sludge Tank posted:

well let us know how that goes. godspeed.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Sludge Tank posted:

same

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
What are good drills for getting a good rack position. I always just do the I Dream of Jeannie front squats

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

So with the front squat, you have a lot of limiting factors that you don't have on the back squat, or even overheard squat for that matter.

You have mobility requirements from the lat, wrist, forearm, thoracic spine, hips, quads, etc

It's a squat that doesn't involve the hamstrings that much (which is why i like it because i have a :poland: butt)

A lot of people use equipment to get around the problems. For example, if I have bad ankles, I'm going to lean forward in my squat. Now the bar is no longer resting on my shoulders, but being supported by my hands. It turns into a top-of-barbell-curl squat.

Conversely, maybe my ankle mobility is okay, but my front rack is complete trash, or my thoracic mobility is nonexistent, and lifting shoes help me get around this because they put me in a manageable position.

a way to do figure out where the real limiting factor is is to do a lightweight front squat as close to the wall as you can.

Knees going forward is...not necessarily bad, but leaning forward is, and if you star a squat and your upper back lights up, or your arms start dropping, then you know where your problem is.

The best way is just to film it and send it to someone. You can feel free to PM me a video if you want me to look at it. Then you can figure out whats holding you back and start doing targeted stretching and mobility drills.

Front squat is one of the most challenging yet rewarding lifts. It leads to olympic lifting which are the most fun and rewarding lifting experiences of any lifter's life. Congratulations on the journey you're about to embark on!

Ah, thanks for the info man. I'm probably going to high bar for the time being, but I'll try and do some front squats with the bar saturday and take a video. Now that you mention thoracic mobility, I'm sure that might be an issue because I'm bad about wanting to hunch my shoulders over. Just putting my back straight against a wall along with the back of my head is kind of hard and feels like it's choking me for some reason.

e: Also Olympic lifts are a thing I'd like to try one day. If I can figure the front squat thing out I honestly wouldn't mind maybe doing those as well as high bar. I feel like my posterior chain strength is running away from my quads. Deadlift is into the 300s for 2 or 3 reps now and I could barely low bar 225 once right now assuming I ignored any hip flexor pain I got.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 22, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

KyloWinter posted:

What are good drills for getting a good rack position. I always just do the I Dream of Jeannie front squats

Shoulders forward, elbows up, don't practice with an empty bar you need some weight on there to pin everything into position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

FizFashizzle posted:

Knees forward is good because you're sitting down not back.