Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pyromancer posted:

Riposte is the thing Bernard teaches you in "master strike" training for every type of weapon separately.
To do it you have to block at the very beginning of the green shield showing the perfect block window(easier to look at character animation than the shield to hit it in time), with that successful you not only deflect the strike but also smack them in the face without pressing attack button.

:psyduck:

This game is not very good at explaining itself. The other thing is called a Riposte in the skill description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
So has anybody else done the mission called Night Raid? I'm up to the bit where Capon gets shot in the arse and you have to pick him up and carry him out, but when the mission starts im surrounded by like 20 bandits and it seems impossible.

edit: a hundred tries later and I'm assuming it's a bug because this makes no sense otherwise

Seams fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 22, 2018

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

am0kgonzo posted:

Which of them are white supremacists?

The ones that made this game.

Seams posted:

So has anybody else done the mission called Night Raid? I'm up to the bit where Capon gets shot in the arse and you have to pick him up and carry him out, but when the mission starts im surrounded by like 20 bandits and it seems impossible.

edit: a hundred tries later and I'm assuming it's a bug because this makes no sense otherwise

They say it was tax evasion, but it was actually the 20 bandits that brought him down.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

The ones that made this game.

How are they white supremacists?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

precision posted:

:psyduck:

This game is not very good at explaining itself. The other thing is called a Riposte in the skill description.

oh my god you're right

ripostes are their own thing and are different to the master strikes

just trying this out now (sorry sasau but you're all dead) and it seems to come out much faster than a normal attack, lightning fast, it's loving nuts

how have i won any fights at all

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

am0kgonzo posted:

How are they white supremacists?

Don't troll, thanks.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I hate how everyone in Bavaria keeps banker's hours. Nobody and nothing does business before 9:00, not even bathhouses, and forget stumbling into an inn late at night and actually getting any accommodation.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Lone Badger posted:

and forget stumbling into an inn late at night and actually getting any accommodation.

I do this all the time, just bring your lockpicks

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

The Lone Badger posted:

I hate how everyone in Bavaria keeps banker's hours. Nobody and nothing does business before 9:00, not even bathhouses, and forget stumbling into an inn late at night and actually getting any accommodation.

I once crashed in Hans Capon's room, and at like 6 AM my sleep was interrupted by a guard demanding that I pay a fine... for not having a torch. gently caress you guy, not only am I inside sleeping, but the loving sun is already up!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Knobb Manwich posted:

oh my god you're right

ripostes are their own thing and are different to the master strikes

just trying this out now (sorry sasau but you're all dead) and it seems to come out much faster than a normal attack, lightning fast, it's loving nuts

how have i won any fights at all

Could you clarify what you mean?

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Scherloch posted:

I once crashed in Hans Capon's room, and at like 6 AM my sleep was interrupted by a guard demanding that I pay a fine... for not having a torch. gently caress you guy, not only am I inside sleeping, but the loving sun is already up!

I asked Theresa to go out for a walk with me and she wouldn't because of the rain. It was a bright sunny day :confused:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Ledenko posted:

I asked Theresa to go out for a walk with me and she wouldn't because of the rain. It was a bright sunny day :confused:

She's just making excuses cos she already has a date lined up with someone else later, sorry bro

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ledenko posted:

Dude, take a hint already.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Yeah honestly NPC schedules has always been an annoying mechanic and I was done being impressed with it all of a few hours into Oblivion back when it came out. It's especially bad here because for whatever reason waiting/sleeping takes forever and then goes into bullet time in the last hour. And if you alt+tab to do something else in the meantime it slows down even loving more. I'm on the monastery infiltration quest now and it pretty much makes me want to kill myself.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ledenko posted:

"I'm washing my hair tonight."

"But we're serfs, we don't do that."

"....."

Edit: As for the bugs, giant RPGs like this are always buggy and broken at release. Especially when they decide to make it in CryEngine which is kind of notorious for not being the best at anything aside from making one or two Crysis games.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 22, 2018

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah honestly NPC schedules has always been an annoying mechanic and I was done being impressed with it all of a few hours into Oblivion back when it came out. It's especially bad here because for whatever reason waiting/sleeping takes forever and then goes into bullet time in the last hour. And if you alt+tab to do something else in the meantime it slows down even loving more. I'm on the monastery infiltration quest now and it pretty much makes me want to kill myself.

Pro-tip: set the timer to one more hour than necessary, then cancel out at the desired time. But yeah, that slowdown on the last hour is just completely baffling.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

So it's basically Belgium

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Bethesda game comparisons are even more apt when you start abusing the AI's pathing. In the camp scouting quest I found a spot where the AI can't get to you: In the Cuman camp there's a space enclosed by a low wall that has a short tunnel that leads to a small cavern filled with ankle-deep water. In combat the AI can't get over the wall. So I was able to stand there and plink arrows away into the various Cumans and bandits that came for me. You have to take care of the archers first but they're actually pretty poor shots. I cleared the entire camp doing this - turns out there is a finite number of bandits. From there, sabotage was easy.

esquilax posted:

One of the millers trains stealth. I think it's the one northeast of Sasau that starts the captured Cuman quest.

But you can only get one training at each tier from any of the trainers, you can't double up at a given tier.

Training is also not use-it-or-lose-it, so if you wait until you're at 16 you can do all 4 trainings in one shot and get to 20.

That's not exactly how it works. Training isn't "+1 level," it's some amount of skill experience. I've trained and not gotten level.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Is that the group of dudes who jump you after talking to Timmy's sister at the windmill? I tried to fight all 4 of them, first time I drew my sword because I didn't notice they were just using fists. Me pulling the sword got all of them to draw and I was promptly murdered. Next time I tried boxing and was beaten unconscious multiple times before they ran off and I got a journal entry saying, essentially, that they beat Henry senseless but he didn't give up the goods.

If you're wearing good gear you can intimidate the whole group into backing down.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I ended up getting into an armed fight with them, and actually won because three of the four didn't wear helmets. Just took one or two solid bonks to the skull with an axe each. Their leader with the fancypants longsword crumpled like two seconds in from a riposte.

And then the game told me I'd just lost reputation for starting a fight. :confuoot:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I told them the guy they were looking for hosed off to Miami or some poo poo and they believed me. They left a guy behind so I just knifed him in the back. Never heard from them again.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Phlegmish posted:

It's how Bavaria is nowadays as well. The strictest work hours in the entire goddamn country. You will get fined by the police if you're caught working on sundays.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is fighting with a dagger in your offhand fun/a good idea? I really want to go learn reading and also deliver that ring but I want to settle on a primary weapon set first.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The Lone Badger posted:

Could you clarify what you mean?

Y'know what I'm not actually sure anymore. I can't get anything consistent when practicing with Bernie, but I think sometimes the animations don't play right with him.

The game says while executing a perfect block, press the strike button to do a riposte. The riposte can only be blocked by a perfect block. When I was trying it out in Sasau, I noticed that a few times I killed guards even while they were blocking normally. I'd perfect block, do a return overhead strike, and even though they're blocking up they'd die.

These were very different to master strikes, which play the special animation.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Smirr posted:

Pro-tip: set the timer to one more hour than necessary, then cancel out at the desired time. But yeah, that slowdown on the last hour is just completely baffling.

True, although I think if you cancel sleeping then the game doesn't save but I could be totally wrong about that.

Another protip: when you're told to find a guy hiding in the monastery just pick a lock, run in, and shank novice Antonius. It might just be the worst quest I've ever played in an RPG and I've played a lot of lovely RPGs. Take annoying constant nagging, throw in some trivial boring rear end chores, then mix in more time spent on the waiting/sleeping screen than you could ever imagine and throw it in a crock pot for several hours until you get a big steamy soup of poo poo.

precision posted:

Is fighting with a dagger in your offhand fun/a good idea? I really want to go learn reading and also deliver that ring but I want to settle on a primary weapon set first.

You can't actually equip the dagger. It's just there to enable context-sensitive stealth kills once you get the requisite perk.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

precision posted:

Unfortunately, you can't use the dagger in any way other to stealth kill an enemy (assuming you have the perk). Would be nice be able to combo it with a short sword or other weapons.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Pretty sure you can't dual wield at all because in real life it's a pretty bad idea.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh, okay, so the dagger shows up as equipping in your offhand but you don't actually fight with it - like torches?

How obtuse.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Major Isoor posted:

Also, one other thing: Are there any gambling locations that are more high-stakes than $10-15? Since as much as I love playing Furkle (or whatever it's called) the fact that it's netting me so little money is slightly annoying. Like, I get that the people I'm playing are piss-poor peasants, but surely there could be a shady gambling den for the nobility and rich burghers!

Try the inn in Sassau, you can play for 60-90 each time depending on the gambler you meet. Speaking of gambling, I kinda like the fact that the loaded dice you find don't contain any description on exactly how they would behave. You just have to use them and figure it out for yourself.

Phlegmish posted:

And the Netherlands. One time I was in Rotterdam and had a spur of the moment desire to drive to Bruges. But nope, because it's Easter Sunday I can only pick up cars that I have booked ahead of time, but not rent on the spot, even though they have cars, and people working, at the rental place. How are you guys a modern secular country in the 21st century?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

precision posted:

Oh, okay, so the dagger shows up as equipping in your offhand but you don't actually fight with it - like torches?

How obtuse.

It doesn't equip you just keep it in your inventory to take ears and do stealth kills, just like having a shovel.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

VulgarandStupid posted:

It doesn't equip you just keep it in your inventory to take ears and do stealth kills, just like having a shovel.

Now I want to do stealth kills with a shovel

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

The fighting in this video looks super fluid and fun. my combat looks nothing like this...

I need to get good.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
What the gently caress is happening in the end battles. I got my mace out and can attack maybe 1/20th of the time I click the mouse.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Shanghaied posted:

And the Netherlands. One time I was in Rotterdam and had a spur of the moment desire to drive to Bruges. But nope, because it's Easter Sunday I can only pick up cars that I have booked ahead of time, but not rent on the spot, even though they have cars, and people working, at the rental place. How are you guys a modern secular country in the 21st century?

I'm Flemish myself, but I work full-time and even I'm annoyed at how hard is to do any shopping during the week. When I leave for work, stores haven't opened yet. When I get home, most of them are closed already. Who are they selling to?

It's a remnant of the medieval corporatist guild mentality (which I suppose is still preferable to a full-on slide into liberal dystopia), so I'm not surprised to see it in Kingdom Come.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bussamove posted:

For people complaining about lockpicking that don't want to just don't download the mod that skips it: I grabbed Sectorial Lockpicking off the Nexus and it makes it way easier. It adds visual indicators to the minigame that make keeping on the sweet spot a million times easier.

I'm currently enjoying a bug where the yellow growing ball doesn't actually appear during lockpicking, so I just get the empty targeting reticule and have to constantly keep mashing D while I blindly try to find the correct spot to start turning.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Der Shovel posted:

I'm currently enjoying a bug where the yellow growing ball doesn't actually appear during lockpicking, so I just get the empty targeting reticule and have to constantly keep mashing D while I blindly try to find the correct spot to start turning.

I read this is a graphics driver thing. I was getting the same thing and updating (or just restarting the game) fixed it.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Bussamove posted:

For people complaining about lockpicking that don't want to just don't download the mod that skips it: I grabbed Sectorial Lockpicking off the Nexus and it makes it way easier. It adds visual indicators to the minigame that make keeping on the sweet spot a million times easier.

https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/32

This don't help if you are in consoles. I don't mind it, a bad minigame help me stay honest. *roll eyes*

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tei posted:

This don't help if you are in consoles. I don't mind it, a bad minigame help me stay honest. *roll eyes*

The other cheat is to Esc out of the minigame and re-enter it until the dot is in an easy position, like near the center. I just use Sectorial Lockpicking though.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I just agreed to commit arson and frame some guy for it in exchange for a new pair of boots, game owns

Like I don't even know if they fit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I literally just realized yesterday

After playing this game for a week

After making all my friends watch the Jeremy Brett "Scandal in Bohemia" Sherlock Holmes story just this past Saturday

That "Bohemia" and the "Czech" part of "Czechoslovakia" were the same place

I blame communism, Thanks Obama