Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Somebody in a local Facebook group was complaining about poor customer service at Sears. Had to share with them some Lampert knowledge. Of course the employees seem like they don't give a poo poo - why would they, under the circumstances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The mall where I live just lost the Sears and the huge furniture store. But somehow the five diamond stores have stayed in businesses?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Coucho Marx posted:

A lot of it was oversupply - once a whole lot of them started to close, former customers started to congregate to the few that were left/had lots of services to offer. Luck plays a huge part too - if your mall finds itself in the middle of a growth area (like yours apparently has), great! And since it's getting customers, it can afford to add more services.

Here in Australia we've had relatively few closures as there was never a massive glut of malls, and the big ones still there are all spaced out enough that they don't pull customers from each other. My nearest one (probably one of the less impressive in my city) has the usual shops inside (plus two supermarkets), but it also has an attached open-air mall with a whole lot of fast-casual restaurants, a couple nicer restaurants, a movie theater, a library, two pubs, a club, some other large shops, a doctor's office, a gym, and a few other places, and it also serves as a major bus stop for several lines. The next two closest to me are built right next to/on top of rail lines, which makes up for one of them being rather old and tired design-wise.

Basically, poor civic planning will kill a mall.

Sorry if that was boring, here's Dan Bell's Dead Mall series if you haven't seen it before.

Yeah, it's the same in the UK as well. A lot probably has to do with how expensive land is over here so there's not the same incentive to just plop down megamalls everywhere.

What is dying in the UK is high street retail, which I suspect has a lot to do with rents going up due to how ridiculous the UK property market is at the minute.

IIRC malls are booming in places like the Philippines right now due to being giant air-conditioned spaces that people can go to to escape the heat.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
High street aka Main Street retail in the US is doing terribly as well for the same reasons. Malls are more common in the suburban and rural parts of the US, but in the cities it’s extremely difficult for smaller shops to stay in business now because of the cost of real estate. All of this boils my blood because the types of mixed use development that people want is now illegal to build.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Coucho Marx posted:

That's true - people never loving learn that boom times don't last and will happily ride the money train right off a cliff. I wonder how retail fared during other recessions?

As has been brought up, mall building had some tax benefits so there's a lot of 'unintended consequences' involved. For local communities malls are often the quickest, easiest way to revitalize an area. If you watch 'Roger & Me', Flint tries at one point to build a big theme park/mall that fails miserably. But it's what got investment because that's what they thought people wanted. And it does work. Sometimes. But not in an economic dead zone with no jobs.

As for other recessions the stores mostly just kept chugging on. They'd close a chunk of stores and expand again when the markets turned around. It's worse now because in addition to a recession you suddenly had Amazon.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The mall closest to me, the Oaks Mall in Gainesville, Fl, seems to be doing just fine, but it's mainly aimed at middle/upper-middle class college students nowadays. It used to be good, though.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Phone posting so no link, but Avon is officially pulling out of Australia and New Zealand, and apparently they only went online in 2014.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Whitlam posted:

Phone posting so no link,

So I see people say this all the time and have no idea what the gently caress they are talking about. You know it takes about two seconds to copy a link on your phone and paste it into the reply window? Is there something I am missing?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Piell posted:

So I see people say this all the time and have no idea what the gently caress they are talking about. You know it takes about two seconds to copy a link on your phone and paste it into the reply window? Is there something I am missing?

natural goon laziness

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Like everything else that millennials are killing, malls are something boomers hold dear.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

As has been brought up, mall building had some tax benefits so there's a lot of 'unintended consequences' involved. For local communities malls are often the quickest, easiest way to revitalize an area. If you watch 'Roger & Me', Flint tries at one point to build a big theme park/mall that fails miserably. But it's what got investment because that's what they thought people wanted. And it does work. Sometimes. But not in an economic dead zone with no jobs.

As for other recessions the stores mostly just kept chugging on. They'd close a chunk of stores and expand again when the markets turned around. It's worse now because in addition to a recession you suddenly had Amazon.

I'm fairly certain local politicians have an even worse cargo cult understanding of economics than libertarians.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

It's just amplified with malls because they're big obvious structures and generally have the same damned stores even when multiple malls are within an hour of each other. And as weaker malls die off, nearby malls absorb their customers and can thrive more easily.

Within an hour? I live in a pretty small city and there are two sprawling malls a mile and a half apart on one of the main roads. Surprise! One of them is a ghost town. The other one's struggling a bit but still staying afloat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I hang out at malls a lot, but the ones in mind are right next to/built around major public transport hubs for bus and train, while it seems they've gotten more homogeneous over the years, they still seem to be doing pretty well. Both have recently expanded with market-esque food places and Aldi's.

I remember I once accidentally (I think maybe following some rich schoolmates) stumbled into a high-end mall I never knew existed. It was weird.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

You wouldn't happen to live in Houston, would you? The galleria is the most overcrowded mall and the whole area is just a bitch to get around in, particularly during the holiday season. The other malls...not so much.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inescapable Duck posted:

I hang out at malls a lot, but the ones in mind are right next to/built around major public transport hubs for bus and train, while it seems they've gotten more homogeneous over the years, they still seem to be doing pretty well. Both have recently expanded with market-esque food places and Aldi's.

I remember I once accidentally (I think maybe following some rich schoolmates) stumbled into a high-end mall I never knew existed. It was weird.

The next time you went there, was it a big empty warehouse, as if it never existed in the first place?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Iron Crowned posted:

The next time you went there, was it a big empty warehouse, as if it never existed in the first place?

I certainly don't think I could ever find it again, though mostly just because I have a bad memory and can't navigate for poo poo.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
How is Games Workshop doing? I remember reading a thread a few years back where what I remember is that if an independent store was really good at selling Warhammer stuff, they would open up a poorly run Games Workshop store close to it, loving over both the good store and themselves.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

evobatman posted:

How is Games Workshop doing? I remember reading a thread a few years back where what I remember is that if an independent store was really good at selling Warhammer stuff, they would open up a poorly run Games Workshop store close to it, loving over both the good store and themselves.

The difference is the Good Store is likely selling a large variety of non-GW products.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Straight White Shark posted:

Within an hour? I live in a pretty small city and there are two sprawling malls a mile and a half apart on one of the main roads. Surprise! One of them is a ghost town. The other one's struggling a bit but still staying afloat.
It gets even more comical as you expand the area, though.

There are seven malls within 30-40 minutes of me. The ones in touristy areas or in the denser areas of the Chicago 'burbs are doing okay. The rest are on death's door. Even the population of a major metropolitan area can only support so many malls.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

evobatman posted:

They've actually managed to turn things around for now. When they were flailing they cut most stores down to a one-man operation to save money which led to all of the disaster stories about poorly run stores, but apparently they managed to make it work by pumping up compensation to get higher quality store managers.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

evobatman posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/12/01/games-workshop-profits-soar-retailers-rebound-continues/

Pretty well!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Iron Crowned posted:

Like everything else that millennials are killing, malls are something boomers hold dear.

GenXers love malls too (see Mallrats :v:). I'm too old to be a millenial, and too young to be a GenXer, but I always liked going to malls up through my teenage and early adult years. The one in my hometown was weird - there was no food court, eateries were spread throughout the building, and they all had seating. A couple were full-service resturants. Apparently it's still going and vastly expanded now, I should take a trip up there sometime as it's only an hour away and I haven't been there since the late 90s.

Sometimes I have dreams about it. Also I distinctly remember how it smelled down the arm where the pizzaria was located. Thanks, brain.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
No food court means they don't want teenagers congregating, they are trying to be upscale and attract a richer crowd. At least the one near where I grew up.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They're trying to revitalise a Big Name mall in midtown L.A. and the solution to a food court is a Food Hall (so price out all the riff raff kids)

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

If you have the weather for it, the trend of outdoor malls are nice. I enjoy walking around getting some fresh air while I window shop.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Good food courts are the answer since young people spend more eating out than eating in.

Good lighting so they can 'snap and 'gram their food to friends too.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

They're trying to revitalise a Big Name mall in midtown L.A. and the solution to a food court is a Food Hall (so price out all the riff raff kids)

Krispy Wafer posted:

Good food courts are the answer since young people spend more eating out than eating in.

Good lighting so they can 'snap and 'gram their food to friends too.

Yeah, the local not-lovely mall ripped out the food court and brought in a bunch of hipster food places and it did wonders for them.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

BloodBag posted:

You wouldn't happen to live in Houston, would you? The galleria is the most overcrowded mall and the whole area is just a bitch to get around in, particularly during the holiday season. The other malls...not so much.

Nah, Maryland.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Louisville is going to turn one Sears and the parking lot into a TopGolf.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/entertainment/2018/02/20/topgolf-coming-louisville/354837002/

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm borderline Gen X/Millennial (1984) and the thing I miss most about malls is the arcades. They're putting a Dave and Buster's in at one about half an hour from me, but it's just not the same. Unrelated, there was a mall near me that was so dead for years that it had dozens of empty properties, one shoe store, and one As Seen On TV store. It was demolished 7-8 years ago and is now luxury apartments with a McDonald's in the basement garage.

GWBBQ has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Feb 23, 2018

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Piell posted:

For me it was because I read it on a different device earlier in the day, so I actually didn't have the link and didn't care enough to find it several hours later on a different device.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

GWBBQ posted:

I'm borderline Gen X/Millennial (1984) and the thing I miss most about malls is the arcades. They're putting a Dave and Buster's in at one about half an hour from me, but it's just not the same. Unrelated, there was a mall near me that was so dead for years that it had dozens of empty properties, one shoe store, and one As Seen On TV store. It was demolished 7-8 years ago and is now luxury apartments with a McDonald's in the basement garage.

You're a millenial, I'd be borderline (1981) but frankly the generation should split at 1995 or so, when the internet became more commonplace in homes. I also remember arcades fondly as a child, but going to Dave and Busters as an adult just sucks. None of the games are worth a poo poo and I've got a more comfortable setup at home. I also don't have to wipe chocolate chip juice and pizza oil off the controls. Well, nobody else's, at least.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was born in ‘85 and I was like 12-13 when the Internet became a more common thing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was born in 1979, so I'm either on the tail-end of Gen X or just isolated. 79 would be way too old for snake people.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Bonzo posted:

Louisville is going to turn one Sears and the parking lot into a TopGolf.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/entertainment/2018/02/20/topgolf-coming-louisville/354837002/

I worked at that Sears for a a year 1/2 starting in 2000,. I went back there before it closed about 3 years ago and it literally looked almost exactly the same,. Things liked outdated when I was working there, so....

Best part of working there was swiping games from the store room and exchanging them at the EB Games down the hall (yeah, i was a little fucker).

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

TopGolf owns though.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was born in ‘85 and I was like 12-13 when the Internet became a more common thing.

Born in '74. I kinda knew about this internet thing because I knew what a modem was and would hear all the ultra nerds in computer class talk about it. When I started university in '92, we had access to the school mainframe through which we could access the Web (but I may be foggy on the details). It wasn't until AOL started to get big in '95 that I remember it starting to be a big thing. And then AOL went unlimited in either 96 or 97 and it got really popular but it seems that around 2000 it started to be something everyone was into.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
^^^
2000 is all millennial hype and technology was at the fore thanks to the Y2K bug. IMac Candy was 1998, iBook 1999, OSX 2001. So you have a good set of years where Apple helped bring the concept of a Personal Computer out of the image of beige home finance/word processor/productivity or gaming tool. Affordability also helped, as PC prices dropped to something that was within reach.
2000 is also far enough away from metered use that people could just tool around and not worry about a giant bill at the end, and the use of Flash/Shockwave was making pages less like giant Word docs. There was also that brief period when Midi music and Java(?) effects made pages more interactive and visually appealing, thanks partly to the proliferation 56k modems and increased bandwidth. Also, you can't discount Napster for the college/High School set. That alone probably pushed net literacy up a few cycles

There's a good argument for 95-96 being a cutoff year, since that's approximately when regular people would have started to notice that AOL KEYWORD was popping up on their Rice Krispies boxes and poo poo.

I think being able to remember a world before 9/11 is also important.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Feb 23, 2018

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

BloodBag posted:

You're a millenial, I'd be borderline (1981) but frankly the generation should split at 1995 or so, when the internet became more commonplace in homes. I also remember arcades fondly as a child, but going to Dave and Busters as an adult just sucks. None of the games are worth a poo poo and I've got a more comfortable setup at home. I also don't have to wipe chocolate chip juice and pizza oil off the controls. Well, nobody else's, at least.

I once found a condom on a joystick at Nickel City. I was afraid to touch it because I assumed all condoms were used, so it must be covered in semen, and all semen had AIDS, so if I touched it I would get AIDS.

I remember arcades started to go downhill around the time columbine happened - Nickel City and a bunch of other places got rid of all their gun games. That's probably why Dave & Busters has them all now, they bought them from other arcades cheaply. That and console/computer games got better and better, and whereas the arcade used to provide experiences you couldn't get at home, now the exact opposite is true and arcade games have to be simplified. They're not even cheaper, it's really easy to blow $60+ at Dave and Busters in one night without even thinking.

The only reason I could think of to go to an arcade is classic arcade games, and except for some driving, gun and mech/tank games, I can emulate that at home pretty easily now. All the arcades I used to go to as a kid are now full of giant versions of Flappy Bird and Angry Birds. (Although the giant LED light versions of Pac-Man and Space Invaders are loving rad.)

The only arcades I care about now are the Musée Mécanique in San Francisco (antique penny arcade and vintage arcade games) and the Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas. And I'm a sucker for a good (non-D&B) barcade, but that's dependent on the quality of the friends I'm with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

I think being able to remember a world before 9/11 is also important.

What about before 12/26/91? :ussr: