Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
It'll be covered up. I'm torn, in that it'll never be seen, but it's not super professional to install a tub like that in a new home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Here is a picture of the neighbor's house, which is the same model/floorplan as mine. It looks like the damage goes right to the edge of where it might get covered up. I feel like getting the energy to write a post about this whole house build project. So far the framers forgot 4 windows, fully framed in the master closet while giving me a bonus door to the laundry room, framed out one bedroom into a super bedroom that ate its own closet and a neighboring linen closet. Those have all been fixed. Then the HVAC folks got wrong plans from the builder and piped the natural gas stub for the patio to the wrong location. The plumbers either missed, or received wrong plans, and did not plumb in a connection for the laundry room sink. I am worried about what I will find next!

The tubs and shower were sitting outside for ages before being put in as well. About 4 weeks or so just hanging out on the street or in the garage, getting moved around as needed.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I wouldn't worry about the mess, I've had plumbers stood in mine, but if you think that damage might have reduced its structural strength you might want to push for a replacement.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sweet lord, I'm glad you're able to watch the building process and fix those missing/extra walls and doors while it's still possible.

Feeling grateful for my autistically precise builders itt.

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 19, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A friend was having her house built, and the builders framed out a huge street facing window directly above where the plumbing was dropped for the sink and vanity.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I thought the whole reason people had houses built was to avoid dealing with amateurish hack jobs

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

I thought the whole reason people had houses built was to avoid dealing with amateurish hack jobs

Most people that get a house built get it done by a large scale builder creating an entire subdivision.

Then you have the small house building operations. If you managed to do your research and find a good company this is the way to go but it will be more expensive.

Either way you can still come up snake eyes and get hosed.

edit: a new home just means only one set of hands hosed your house up before you got it

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Here is a picture of the neighbor's house, which is the same model/floorplan as mine. It looks like the damage goes right to the edge of where it might get covered up. I feel like getting the energy to write a post about this whole house build project. So far the framers forgot 4 windows, fully framed in the master closet while giving me a bonus door to the laundry room, framed out one bedroom into a super bedroom that ate its own closet and a neighboring linen closet. Those have all been fixed. Then the HVAC folks got wrong plans from the builder and piped the natural gas stub for the patio to the wrong location. The plumbers either missed, or received wrong plans, and did not plumb in a connection for the laundry room sink. I am worried about what I will find next!

The tubs and shower were sitting outside for ages before being put in as well. About 4 weeks or so just hanging out on the street or in the garage, getting moved around as needed.

loving sever

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
You know you can just not finish paying until they fix their poo poo to your satisfaction, right? Don't be a pushover; make a stink about it now because it's gonna get harder to fix the longer things go.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

You know you can just not finish paying until they fix their poo poo to your satisfaction, right? Don't be a pushover; make a stink about it now because it's gonna get harder to fix the longer things go.

I have only paid about 4k for a deposit so far. It is a large scale builder doing the work, Hayden Homes, who are big for the Pacific Northwest. So, I do have a lot of ability to walk away and have them fix things, so I am lucky in that aspect. It would be one thing if I was already 75k deep into it or some such. Unfortunately, unless I wanted to pay a lot more, these folks are kind of the only game in town. I live in an area that has very, very few available lots, and these folks have some of the best.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It would be one thing if I was already 75k deep into it or some such.

I'm currently £140k deep into mine and it sure does make severing harder.

Leverage and inconvenience comes in many forms, unfortunately.

Asperity
Jun 7, 2011

How do you de-texture a wall? Some walls in my house are smooth and have the blobby kind of texture which isn't too terrible, and some have texture sharp enough to feel like a cheese grater on your hand. If I wanted to get rid of the latter, would I just sand the poo poo out of it and paint?

It's hard to get a decent paintable surface from just sanding the wall texture down, and the dust will be prodigious. I'm sanding the highest points off the wall, then skim-coating a couple of times with thinned joint compound, then priming and painting on the now-smooth surface.

It's not really that much less dusty, but I worry less about putting accidental holes in the wall by over-sanding.

Also, vacuum drywall sanders are great and this is all taking forever, but the texture is just so awful.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Asperity posted:

It's hard to get a decent paintable surface from just sanding the wall texture down, and the dust will be prodigious. I'm sanding the highest points off the wall, then skim-coating a couple of times with thinned joint compound, then priming and painting on the now-smooth surface.

It's not really that much less dusty, but I worry less about putting accidental holes in the wall by over-sanding.

Also, vacuum drywall sanders are great and this is all taking forever, but the texture is just so awful.

Yeah, after I made that post I read about skim-coating. I was worried it would be extremely laborious but if it's basically just like painting with liquidy joint compound then maybe it's not so bad.

Asperity
Jun 7, 2011

Yeah, after I made that post I read about skim-coating. I was worried it would be extremely laborious but if it's basically just like painting with liquidy joint compound then maybe it's not so bad.

It's not fun, but the skill required is the same one used to frost a cake. Just don't eat the joint compound, as it should not have sugar in it. Also, applying the joint compound with a paint roller worked reasonably well to get enough on the wall (be ready to trash it after you finish this project.)

The paint roller also turned out to be the best tool to get enough water onto a popcorn ceiling to soften the texture for removal. Easier to control and less messy than a sprayer. Though it is still a filthy, filthy job.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I have two bathrooms and no outlets work in either one. I'm not loving around with electricity, but what could be wrong? Is it an easy, cheap fix for someone to come look at, or should I save up for a couple months cause it's gonna be a huge problem?

Basically I'm terrified of 1) electricity, and 2) going broke fixing this loving house.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grem posted:

I have two bathrooms and no outlets work in either one. I'm not loving around with electricity, but what could be wrong? Is it an easy, cheap fix for someone to come look at, or should I save up for a couple months cause it's gonna be a huge problem?

Basically I'm terrified of 1) electricity, and 2) going broke fixing this loving house.

Have you checked for gfci reset on all the outlets? Next step is breaker box for a flipped breaker.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Grem posted:

The most likely thing aside from a circuit breaker or GFCI trip is some wire coming loose. Fixing that just requires that you re-strip the wire and wrap it around the screw terminal instead of using the lovely backstab connector. Don't call somebody out to look at it before you rule this option out.

The hardest thing about dealing with outlets and switches isn't the electrical, it's dealing with the loving boxes being in random orientations or falling off into the wall, and the drywall holes being too large to fit in an old-work box without replacing a big drywall section or finagling some wooden supports in.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 20, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Do it with a buddy so you can test outlets and breakers more easily, and just in case you get electrocuted and/or start a fire.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Grem posted:

You can go from being terrified of electricity to its friend pretty quickly if you're willing to buy (more or less) one tool: A non-contact voltage tester. From there you can take it over to a working outlet and see how it functions (beeeeeeeeeep.) Flip the breaker for that outlet, and watch it function (well, not beep.) Now you know how it works. Want to check your work when you're done? Get an outlet tester. Now you can know for certain (always know, do not trust anyone else to test this, check every time you flip a breaker off or on) that an outlet has no electricity going through it.

Non-Contact Voltage Tester $6: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-70-AC-250-AC-Voltage-Tester-Continuity-Tester-MS8904/206177753
Outlet tester w/ GFCI button $7-10: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Gear-GFCI-Tester-50957/206212330 (Fancier is not better.)

Once you've checked the basics (GFCI reset, breaker tripped) you can try out the more complicated stuff. If at any point you hit something you are afraid of then call a handyman/electrician to come fix it. For example, I have a hard stop at unfused power/energized work. Once the problem is beyond the ability of my main breaker to isolate I call someone.

Head over to the Don't Burn Your House Down thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739 Be ready to take pictures and label wires. :v:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Yea the GFCI and breaker were both tried, I know to give that a shot, at least. Thanks for the links, I might give it a shot (but probably not), encouraging to hear a little "You can do it!" though.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grem posted:

Yea the GFCI and breaker were both tried, I know to give that a shot, at least. Thanks for the links, I might give it a shot (but probably not), encouraging to hear a little "You can do it!" though.

How old is your house? You could conceivably have a GFCI tripped in e.g. the garage causing a problem in older houses with weird wiring.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

70s, the last owners were house flippers but judging by the standard of their work the odds that they did any rewiring are pretty close to 0.

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.
Sup Dudes!

I decided to rip up carpet and refinish my hardwood floors myself and here's an imgur album to prove it

https://imgur.com/a/fQzZk

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Roctor posted:

Sup Dudes!

I decided to rip up carpet and refinish my hardwood floors myself and here's an imgur album to prove it

https://imgur.com/a/fQzZk

That looks great, good work.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Anyone ever tried to install a gutter yourselves? I have a BAD leak over my sliding glass doors (posted before a few months back, will expound on why this is still a problem) that a contractor had mentioned might at least be helped with a gutter on the upper roofline of my house so not so much water is getting to where the leak originates. I believe that the last contractor that came over found where water is getting in, which is another matter I'm about ready to just try to fix myself because I'm immensely tired of, and angry about, having to follow up with contractors again and again because they don't call me back and don't seem to want the work even when I wave money at them. I'd post a pic of this leak source, but it's currently raining cats and dogs for the past week and counting so I can't go up on my roof.

The roof seems to have been put on incorrectly at this spot and the water comes in at an outward corner with a very large gap, exacerbated by the fact that the incorrectly-installed roof panel (standing seam metal) has created a channel right next to the water's entry point by which water just rushes like a tiny river during even lighter rain. The leak has ruined my hardwood floors adjacent to the doors, and is starting to separate trim from frame and bow some of the wood that is part of the door assembly. I have had no fewer than five contractors out here in the past few months, all making promises and none ever being proactive with communication.

This would be a several-thousand dollar job I imagine, so I'm confounded by the fact that no one seems to want the work, meanwhile I have an active leak that soaks five beach towels in a matter of hours and no telling what interior damage is being done.

So: Is it viable to install a gutter myself? And is it viable to fix this corner at least with a heavy amount of sealant until I can get a contractor who will actually follow through and fix this permanently?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Having issues with one of our heat pumps. We have three - one for the ground floor and two upstairs, each of which covers two rooms. Two of the three work just fine, the third one (which heats my bedroom and one other room) broke in November - we paid someone to fix it, and they replaced a part and I think refilled the coolant. It worked fine until this week, when it stopped being able to keep the space heated enough. It's running, and it's pumping hot air in (pointed a laser thermometer at the vents, and they're 90*F) but it's unable to get the rooms above 65*F or so, despite being set to 72 (the same settings as the other two, which are working fine). What could be going wrong?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I installed gutters and downspouts on my garage myself, it's not really that difficult, even came with instructions. I don't know how gutters would correct a roof leak though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

life is killing me posted:

I'm immensely tired of, and angry about, having to follow up with contractors again and again because they don't call me back
I have had no fewer than five contractors out here in the past few months, all making promises and none ever being proactive with communication.

Yeah this is the same worldwide.

This would be a several-thousand dollar job I imagine, so I'm confounded by the fact that no one seems to want the work

Presumably they have easier jobs on already.

So: Is it viable to install a gutter myself?

Well, okay so, I can't speak for how guttering is installed in the USA but I did consider doing my own gutter/soffit/facia replacement and in concept it's not that difficult.

If it's a flat roof or roof that otherwise ends at the edge of the wall you screw on a fascia and then screw some guttering to that.

If it's a trussed roof you attach the fascia to the end of the rafters and then put a soffit underneath to return back to the wall and cover up the overhang. Then you screw the guttering to the fascia.

Picture: http://www.swishbp.co.uk/design/what-are-fascias/

So in theory it's not hard, but I decided not to do it myself because a) it would take a bunch of people to hold ladders and hold 6m long pieces of wood 5m in the air, and b) you need to be accurate with your cutting and fit to the intricacies of your roofline etc.

Up to you really. If it's a small patch with easy reach then I say go for it, look at how your other gutters work and copy that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

legendof posted:

Having issues with one of our heat pumps. We have three - one for the ground floor and two upstairs, each of which covers two rooms. Two of the three work just fine, the third one (which heats my bedroom and one other room) broke in November - we paid someone to fix it, and they replaced a part and I think refilled the coolant. It worked fine until this week, when it stopped being able to keep the space heated enough. It's running, and it's pumping hot air in (pointed a laser thermometer at the vents, and they're 90*F) but it's unable to get the rooms above 65*F or so, despite being set to 72 (the same settings as the other two, which are working fine). What could be going wrong?

Is the blower fan on? Get up on a ladder and see if the broken one is actually blowing the air out at the same rate as the working one. It sounds like the heat exchanger is working (yay) but the fan is not (boo.)

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I installed gutters and downspouts on my garage myself, it's not really that difficult, even came with instructions. I don't know how gutters would correct a roof leak though.

I know it wouldn't correct it. But it's technically not a roof leak depending on how you look at it I guess, it's a leak where the roof meets the outer wall and a projecting corner. My house was built in 2014 and lots of corners were cut. We didn't have it built, we bought it after it was built and thus got no say in the quality and the inspector must have missed stuff. The builder used to be respected and good, but has no office help, is basically a one-man show who apparently got his subs pissed at him maybe (this is just one of numerous problems we've had to fix out of pocket despite being in the warranty period because the subs just couldn't be assed to come out and deal with it, making me think it's likely they are not wanting to work for the builder, plus their incentive is gone if they have to fix a warranty issue for free). It just feels like the kind of a problem a newer house shouldn't have. In the corner exposed plywood can be seen, plus the black plastic sheet membrane (my house is stucco) is exposed. The way I feel like a gutter can help, and I am in agreement with the contractor on this, is redirecting the flow of water that currently just falls off the top roofline, right into the channel that roof panel makes.

I feel like the roofers cut the roof panel incorrectly and installed the panels from the outside in, making them cut the panel that flushes to the house short and creating that channel where a ton of water is trapped until it flows onto our patio. If they'd cut the panel and installed the roof from the inside out, I think that channel wouldn't be there. So basically I'm thinking a gutter on the top roofline can direct water elsewhere on the lower roofline so it's not all flowing into that channel and thus letting more water into the house. It wouldn't totally fix the problem I know, because there is still an avenue for water to enter, which is another problem that needs to be fixed and I don't know if it should be before or after.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah this is the same worldwide.

Oh yeah, I'm sure that's the case, but I can't have this big a leak go on any longer. I don't expect my emergency to be their emergency but it's really hard to be gracious toward someone who sees a huge leak and copious evidence of such, and still says "gently caress their money, let's go install this granite countertop at this other house."

Jaded Burnout posted:

Presumably they have easier jobs on already.

Sure, I know I'm not first on their list and don't expect to be. I just want to not have to call ten times proactively and still get nothing scheduled to get this fixed. Please excuse my expressions of frustration, it's just compounded by the fact that I don't have the knowledge they have and anything I do is temporary and looks lovely. At the very least I'd like to get on someone's list, but it appears I can't even do that. No incentive seems to get anyone interested in taking my money to fix a problem about which they have more knowledge in identifying and fixing, leaving me in limbo indefinitely unless I do something myself, after which I'm sure I'd get a contractor out in less than a month to repair work I hosed up while they scratch their heads and say poo poo like "Whoever did this did a bad job"

Jaded Burnout posted:

Well, okay so, I can't speak for how guttering is installed in the USA but I did consider doing my own gutter/soffit/facia replacement and in concept it's not that difficult.

If it's a flat roof or roof that otherwise ends at the edge of the wall you screw on a fascia and then screw some guttering to that.

If it's a trussed roof you attach the fascia to the end of the rafters and then put a soffit underneath to return back to the wall and cover up the overhang. Then you screw the guttering to the fascia.

Picture: http://www.swishbp.co.uk/design/what-are-fascias/

So in theory it's not hard, but I decided not to do it myself because a) it would take a bunch of people to hold ladders and hold 6m long pieces of wood 5m in the air, and b) you need to be accurate with your cutting and fit to the intricacies of your roofline etc.

Up to you really. If it's a small patch with easy reach then I say go for it, look at how your other gutters work and copy that.

Well I'm hopefully thinking I could get a gutter company out to give me a quote and maybe follow through with less intensive proactivity on my part, once the rain stops. But then, my original plan was to have the source of the leak closed up properly first (by a licensed contractor) so I could see if I even needed a gutter up there in the first place.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I know it wouldn't correct it. But it's technically not a roof leak depending on how you look at it I guess, it's a leak where the roof meets the outer wall and a projecting corner. My house was built in 2014 and lots of corners were cut. We didn't have it built, we bought it after it was built and thus got no say in the quality and the inspector must have missed stuff. The builder used to be respected and good, but has no office help, is basically a one-man show who apparently got his subs pissed at him maybe (this is just one of numerous problems we've had to fix out of pocket despite being in the warranty period because the subs just couldn't be assed to come out and deal with it, making me think it's likely they are not wanting to work for the builder, plus their incentive is gone if they have to fix a warranty issue for free). It just feels like the kind of a problem a newer house shouldn't have. In the corner exposed plywood can be seen, plus the black plastic sheet membrane (my house is stucco) is exposed. The way I feel like a gutter can help, and I am in agreement with the contractor on this, is redirecting the flow of water that currently just falls off the top roofline, right into the channel that roof panel makes.

I feel like the roofers cut the roof panel incorrectly and installed the panels from the outside in, making them cut the panel that flushes to the house short and creating that channel where a ton of water is trapped until it flows onto our patio. If they'd cut the panel and installed the roof from the inside out, I think that channel wouldn't be there. So basically I'm thinking a gutter on the top roofline can direct water elsewhere on the lower roofline so it's not all flowing into that channel and thus letting more water into the house. It wouldn't totally fix the problem I know, because there is still an avenue for water to enter, which is another problem that needs to be fixed and I don't know if it should be before or after.

Oh yeah, I'm sure that's the case, but I can't have this big a leak go on any longer. I don't expect my emergency to be their emergency but it's really hard to be gracious toward someone who sees a huge leak and copious evidence of such, and still says "gently caress their money, let's go install this granite countertop at this other house."

Sure, I know I'm not first on their list and don't expect to be. I just want to not have to call ten times proactively and still get nothing scheduled to get this fixed. Please excuse my expressions of frustration, it's just compounded by the fact that I don't have the knowledge they have and anything I do is temporary and looks lovely. At the very least I'd like to get on someone's list, but it appears I can't even do that. No incentive seems to get anyone interested in taking my money to fix a problem about which they have more knowledge in identifying and fixing, leaving me in limbo indefinitely unless I do something myself, after which I'm sure I'd get a contractor out in less than a month to repair work I hosed up while they scratch their heads and say poo poo like "Whoever did this did a bad job"

Well I'm hopefully thinking I could get a gutter company out to give me a quote and maybe follow through with less intensive proactivity on my part, once the rain stops. But then, my original plan was to have the source of the leak closed up properly first (by a licensed contractor) so I could see if I even needed a gutter up there in the first place.

Yeah I mean do whatever you need to get your problem solved, I wasn't ragging you hard about being sick of contractors, it took mine five months to install a loving bathroom.

If you're not looking to keep the guttering long term and this only needs to last a couple of weeks, gently caress it, fix that poo poo on with a staple gun, prop it up with poles, use a tarp, whatever you like, whatever works.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah I mean do whatever you need to get your problem solved, I wasn't ragging you hard about being sick of contractors, it took mine five months to install a loving bathroom.

If you're not looking to keep the guttering long term and this only needs to last a couple of weeks, gently caress it, fix that poo poo on with a staple gun, prop it up with poles, use a tarp, whatever you like, whatever works.

If I do it myself I want to do it as best I can, and make it permanent. I want a gutter up there permanently. I also don't have the tools needed to size a gutter. I have called a gutter company to come out and give me an estimate so I'll have to see what that shakes out.

As to the leak, I may see what my handyman can do temporarily. He'd do a far better bandaid job than I would, functionally and aesthetically, and he's really anal about literally everything he does so I'd be glad to have a perfectionist do it. I don't know. At least he's reliable too, but now I've got a case of NEED INSTANT GRATIFICATION

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Anyone ever tried to install a gutter yourselves?
Yes.

quote:

So: Is it viable to install a gutter myself?
Yes. You can buy premade vinyl ones from Home Depot that snap together. Me and a friend installed one along the side of my house in about 30 minutes or so. You can use a hacksaw to cut them to fit and get elbow pieces for corners. Just requires some screws, a drill, and a ladder. That was several years ago and they are holding up fine.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Definitely call the handyman and maybe even get in touch with the inspector who overlooked that 3 years ago? A gap in the roof is serious business.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I have a bathroom in my new home that I would love to update but my home updating budget was completely demolished by updating the flooring, painting all the walls, and updating the other bathroom. The bathroom feels like it has good bones; the vanity cabinets are in decent enough shape that repainting them is all that needs to be done to them. However, the counter tops are absolute trash and the sinks are really dated. I was hoping I could rip off only the tops of the vanities and replace them with some cheap ikea bathroom countertops and put in some sinks in approximately the same positions that they are currently in now. Good idea? Bad idea? Am I making this out to be a much easier project in my head than it will really be?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's a fairly normal update method and barring any stupid previous owner decisions that wind up causing you to have to do remedial work is not that bad.

E: post a pic

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
It's hard to get baseboards to look perfect :negative:

That's all, just wanted to vent. At least it's easy to fix small seams or errors with some Tec7 goop.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

My yard becomes a lake anytime it rains for more than an hour, and it seems like my options are limited to a french drain and a dry well, though the effectiveness of this is apparently up for debate (according to one guy who wrote an article offering zero alternatives).

My thought is to have it start draining where the water seems to collect the most and flow into a dry well dug into a spot that floods but not as bad, though as I'm typing this I'm realizing I should probably put the well on the other side of the house where it doesn't flood at all...

Anyone have experience with these? Any tips from anyone who has installed it?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Friend posted:

My yard becomes a lake anytime it rains for more than an hour, and it seems like my options are limited to a french drain and a dry well, though the effectiveness of this is apparently up for debate (according to one guy who wrote an article offering zero alternatives).

My thought is to have it start draining where the water seems to collect the most and flow into a dry well dug into a spot that floods but not as bad, though as I'm typing this I'm realizing I should probably put the well on the other side of the house where it doesn't flood at all...

Anyone have experience with these? Any tips from anyone who has installed it?

Are your neighbors yards equally deep in water? I would worry that you could suddenly become the drain path for the 4 houses around you as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

Are your neighbors yards equally deep in water? I would worry that you could suddenly become the drain path for the 4 houses around you as well.

I can't tell for certain but I'm pretty sure they only get a little bit of water by the fence and I'm almost positive that they don't have it as bad as I do.