Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

are the amish even able to understand xkcd?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Krankenstyle posted:

Mennonites are different from Amish. There are very liberal Mennonite churches that fully live in modern society. He was an engineer.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

oh cool i only really knew the word from the weird al song lol

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
loving lol if you don’t get that self-driving cars will drive your rear end right to jail if you have an outstanding warrant

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

cis autodrag posted:

At my old job I had a Mennonite coworker who I love dearly but he would get real passionate if you made fun of xkcd, more so than if you presented him a public service opportunity.

This rules

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Canadian tire money is real tho

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

atomicthumbs posted:

*car automatically drives to the gas station that paid $0.000219 more for placement, which coincidentally charges $4.20 per gallon*

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Krankenstyle posted:

Lotta Amish use smartphones and the internet and stuff these days, just with "use it at work in town" or "not when there's stuff to do on the farm" etc

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah I think it has to do with "using it for pleasure or leisure" which is the no-no

no fun allowed; fun leads to sin leads to hell

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
idle genitals are the devil's playthings

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

like depends on the amish like most of the PA witness Amish have mellowed but there’s a ton of factions who get super het up about whether riding in a car is ok or small internal combustion is ok for farm equipment accessories, etc.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
rumspringa 4 lyfe

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've heard that, at least among the more progressive Amish, the attitude is that technology is okay if it brings your family and community closer together, and not okay if it creates a separation

So having a telephone out in the barn is okay because you can use it to call people in other communities who you otherwise wouldn't get to talk to. Having one in the house is not okay because then you're tempted to use it to replace human interaction.

Cars are okay to go visit people but not to get away from people.

TV and video games aren't okay because when you're focused on them you're separated from other people.

Etc

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i wish

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i dicked around in Amish country for a week or so a while back and the ones I was around seemed like the original preppers. most of their rules were to distance themselves from greater society. No bikes because normal people ride bikes, so we ride scooters. Electricity is fine as long as you're off grid and not connected to any power generation controlled by not you

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

once during a family vacation as a kid we were at some cave and they had one of those penny squishing machines and there was an amish family there too and they were nice and struck up a conversation with my parents while i did the penny squish machine. i distinctly remember that they were fascinated by it and i was very confused as to why because, being a kid, i had no idea they were amish and thought they were just like, idk, historical reenactors that got lost and wound up at this cave? anyway that's my amish story thanks for reading

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

are you familiar with the concept of a devil's dick

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

I've heard that, at least among the more progressive Amish, the attitude is that technology is okay if it brings your family and community closer together, and not okay if it creates a separation

So having a telephone out in the barn is okay because you can use it to call people in other communities who you otherwise wouldn't get to talk to. Having one in the house is not okay because then you're tempted to use it to replace human interaction.

Cars are okay to go visit people but not to get away from people.

TV and video games aren't okay because when you're focused on them you're separated from other people.

Etc

One big aspect was that old style landlines literally involved a direct connection to the rest of the world. That's a pretty big symbolic thing to reject and is why those were usually on the edge of the property or in the barn.

Cell phones come in, and you a) don't have a literal physical connection and b) you can only use it if you charge it and out at home you're generally going to need to do work to generate the power or use a limited amount of already limited amounts of on farm generated electricity for things like the fridges some now accept.

An old style landline is delivering a constantly available outside world connection with its own electricity, you can't "use it up". Cell phones have inherent limits. You must wait and break from using it at some point if you're using it on a homestead.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

i dicked around in Amish country for a week or so a while back and the ones I was around seemed like the original preppers. most of their rules were to distance themselves from greater society. No bikes because normal people ride bikes, so we ride scooters. Electricity is fine as long as you're off grid and not connected to any power generation controlled by not you

i seem to remember hearing about an amish offshoot or another group that like, split from their church because the church was too regressive on technology at the time, and so they decided they'd embrace all the latest technology that instant but nothing newer for whatever reason, and that instant happened to be like the mid-late-1800's. anyone have any idea what i'm talking about or did i just imagine this?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's pretty much where most of the Amish in the United States are right now. They're perfectly happy to use mechanical things like apple peelers or kerosene lanterns, but draw the lines pretty much at electrification and automobiles, both of which came about right around the turn of the century

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
back when i worked at the chattanooga aquarium i had a mennonite family come in, he rejected the family thing and paid for each ticket for 10 children because he wouldn't become a "member" of any other organization

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i've seen amish workshops with power tools and electric lights, although some communities that are stricter regarding electricity get around this by using pneumatic tools instead of electrical ones. when it comes to cell phones the explanation i always heard was that they were ok because they weren't physically connected to the utility lines or something like that whereas the landline phones had to be communal because that way it was just kind of there instead of being in someone's home. the nearby community is ok with riding in cars to get to and from work otherwise they would basically be out of business, but they are always picked up by a non-amish because they can't own or operate the vehicles themselves. the amish could probably give the hasidic jews a run for their money when it comes to rules-lawyering.

there's also the kids on rumspriggen who are the bane of the local cops because they frequently get drunk, pass out in the buggy and let the horse take them home.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Captain Foo posted:

those who play with the devil’s balls will be brought by degrees to suck his dick

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i thought the amish didn't use electricity? sounds like they're following the orthodox-jews-on-sabbath game plan of bending inconvenient rules on technicalities

there should just agree to only use technologies that are >100 years old so they have several generations that see the impacts on larger society and can plan for their introduction

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
amish communities ive had experience with are depressing as hell because most of them are super poor, so like the women dont even get shoes because they can't afford them and why do they need them anyway

and when I say too expensive for amish people, thats saying something considering second hand is huge with them -- they even buy used underwear

they pay some "english" to drive them to the grocer when they need to pick up a lot of things, but otherwise dont drive

some of them have phones for business purposes, but the way they're used is basically its off in some shed hooked up to like an answering machine and thats basically how they take calls; I dont think they ever make them

there's even a cottage amish computer industry that revolves around making simple machines to run bookeeping software and the like but no internet/video games/etc

gas lighting and refrigeration is a big thing, as well as using solar panels

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

loosening up on cars seems the most significant (short of straight-up entertainment/media), since it seems the ability to just pop over somewhere is the most detrimental to making a necessarily close-knit community

actual tools and machinery only seems like it'd be an issue if it turned out that they don't have enough work to do, but i imagine they'll just get more done and may just end up bringing in a bit of excess money if it comes to that

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Captain Foo posted:

sure, but why did you do a name change?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

a woodworker i know hired some amish guys when he got hurt. they all have cell phones and use power tools. their only issue is when he swears around them

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
also there was a bit of conflict with one of the communities and the local justice system

some men had been sexually assaulting/raping some of the women, and the elders decided their punishment should be like, not letting them go to church for a while, which might be good punishment for amish?

but the DA/cops were like "no.....we're going to arrest them and send them to trial" and things got a bit tense

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
shunning a rapist sounds like a good way to enable him to do more rapes

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

pretty soon they can just use self driving cars since they don't have to drive them

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

shunning a rapist sounds like a good way to enable him to do more rapes

let's make there be more time when he's by himself, or when nobody can see what he's doing

yes this will do

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

lancemantis posted:

also there was a bit of conflict with one of the communities and the local justice system

some men had been sexually assaulting/raping some of the women, and the elders decided their punishment should be like, not letting them go to church for a while, which might be good punishment for amish?

but the DA/cops were like "no.....we're going to arrest them and send them to trial" and things got a bit tense
fuckem

the stability of the amish society relies on being able to send their bothersome people out into the world. they don't get to dump people into the local justice system without the expectation of the reverse

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
hutterites are generally a lot better off since they're basically somewhat-anachronistic religious communists

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i thought the amish didn't use electricity? sounds like they're following the orthodox-jews-on-sabbath game plan of bending inconvenient rules on technicalities

there should just agree to only use technologies that are >100 years old so they have several generations that see the impacts on larger society and can plan for their introduction

Ugh, look there's no specific rules handed down from 300 years ago. Individual congregations, by design of the whole movement, decide which things of the outside world they believe they should be able to use, while maintaining the overall principle of living a godly life, separate from "secular" society. A principle of deciding what will be useful to outweigh its downsides for each community.

Deciding that you're going to use cell phones isn't breaking or bending a rule, it is simply that when landlines became available most amish congregations decided that having them at home would be too tied to society for them, and 100 years later when they decided to look at cell phones instead they tended to decide circumstances had changed enough, but they still weren't going to use home landlines.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lancemantis posted:

according to the wiki article i read earlier the big thing that caused the amish to split from the larger mennonite group was the amish really liked shunning and the mennonites didn't because they were all about nonviolence and forgiveness

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:mad:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

gently caress sake theres something screwy going on with the latest install of chrome or one of the plugins, I keep getting ten-second scroll freezes and then it'll automatically click whatever ends up under the scroll when it returns

edit: anyone know how to diagnose this? The performance tool shows something is hosed at about 5500ms but I don't have the knowledge to figure it further.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 22, 2018

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

a woodworker i know hired some amish guys when he got hurt. they all have cell phones and use power tools. their only issue is when he swears around them

my cousin had a summer job at a fruit farm/golf course years ago that had some amish workers for various duties, and part of his job was to shuttle the amish workers to and from home with a van. being a typical dick teenager at the time he would blast metallica and guns n' roses in the car while doing this to try and provoke a reaction from them, although they always remained stoic and never said a word regarding it. one day while leaving to drive the amish workers back home he stopped at an intersection, cranked up the music and hit the gas without checking for cross traffic. right as he pulled out he turned and saw a semi truck headed straight for them, so he floored it, spun the tires and narrowly avoided being broadsided by a speeding truck. true to form, the amish remained silent and never said a chastising word, although he did get some disapproving glares. he also knocked it off with the music after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

your cousin sounds like a rear end in a top hat