Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Storm is best with Forge, Yukio, and Logan in that order. Storm and T'Challa work best as ex-spouses, frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, the Storm and T’Challa thing in the comics felt like a pretty transparent “Who are our biggest black characters? Welp, have them get married” attempt to get a crossover event started.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'll take a scene where the two are in the same room and T'Challa looks at her for just a second too long before turning and realizing that Shuri is looking dead at him. Then she gives him that look and he gets all embarrassed.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't need or want them to get married, but a Black Panther sequel is the perfect place to reintroduce a new Storm to the MCU proper. She was their most popular black character for a really long time, a really long time ago.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

I don't need or want them to get married, but a Black Panther sequel is the perfect place to reintroduce a new Storm to the MCU proper. She was their most popular black character for a really long time, a really long time ago.

what about introducing Storm in an X-Men movie

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Nodosaur posted:

what about introducing Storm in an X-Men movie

We've already seen how that's turned out

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah like, the whole point of putting these guys in the MCU is to...well, put them in the MCU, and to do it in ways we hadn't seen before. New Spider-Man debuted in another hero's film as well.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
IIRC it was literally because of Jay-Z and Beyonce.

Like literally.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We'll be on the third BP film by the time Storm gets introduced into the MCU.

And nobody should care about that pairing because it was loving stupid.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Rhyno posted:

And nobody should care about that pairing because it was loving stupid.

Wait are talking Comic Books or my dating history?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wait are talking Comic Books or my dating history?

Why not both?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, the Storm and T’Challa thing in the comics felt like a pretty transparent “Who are our biggest black characters? Welp, have them get married” attempt to get a crossover event started.

When they were getting married in Reginald Hulland's run of Black Panther it did come across like that. They had to ret-con a lot of previous history for them to jusitfy it.
(And do an arc where Panther was forced to get a queen and went around the world looking for suitable candidates.)

I think there had been one previous Marvel Team Up story in the 70's or 80's which hinted at romance between them. But frankly that was just par for the course with Storm. Loads of stories were "character meets Storm and falls in love with her."

But the first time they did the Storm and Black Panther marriage was in Earth X, the Alex Ross future story. And they ruled over all of Africa.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The Question IRL posted:

I think there had been one previous Marvel Team Up story in the 70's or 80's which hinted at romance between them. But frankly that was just par for the course with Storm. Loads of stories were "character meets Storm and falls in love with her."

It was one of those things that would have made sense as a What If in the 80's, back when 1/3rd of Claremont's X-men plots might as well have been "Storm is a pansexual African Goddess and I want to bone her and Kitty Pryde at the same time XOXOXOXO", but yeah, by the time it actually happened, it was dumb as hell.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was an issue of Uncanny from relatively early on in the Claremont run which recounted how Storm, as a child, walked from Cairo to Kenya to return to her mother's homeland and met a young T'Challa on her way. They teamed up to fight a nasty old Afrikaner then parted ways.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think we're neglecting to consider that the team that made the Black Panther movie would absolutely crush it if they put Storm in a sequel. Her and a more prominent Shuri could make Black Panther a secondary character in his own movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Why is it that every time someone wants them to do a thing from the comics some of you don’t like, you act as if they have to do it exactly how the comics did it?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BrianWilly posted:

New Spider-Man debuted in another hero's film as well.

Technically... sure. But that was Avengers 2.5.

Aphrodite posted:

Why is it that every time someone wants them to do a thing from the comics some of you don’t like, you act as if they have to do it exactly how the comics did it?

I don't want them to do it because a) the pairing itself doesn't really interest me and I'd prefer Black Panther stories to develop characters from within its own world b) it'd be cool to have Storm in the MCU standing on her own, not immediately betrothed to and subsumed by another character's story/franchise.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

I think Storm is a character who really should have outgrown the X-men. Like she should be the Superman of that world in terms of just how powerful she is and how heroic she is. I think marrying T'Challa was potentially a good way to elevate the character, but it was mostly squandered.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How does turning her into a hanger on for another character “elevate” her?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
At that stage in comics it really seemed like they took two characters who happened to be from Africa, who nobody (white dudes) knew what to do with or how to write and just slapped them together in hopes to make something happen.

I guess giving Black Panther guns and a trenchcoat and putting him in New York and writing an endless amount of X-Men stories without Storm(the best X-Man) just wasn't working for them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Storm marrying T'Challa was part of Reginald Hudlin's run on BP. Might have my timeline wrong, though.

I liked Storm and T'Challa as members of the FF with Ben and Johnny during Dwayne McDuffie's too-short run on that book.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought Storm marrying T'Challa was part of Reginald Hudlin's run on BP. Might have my timeline wrong, though.

I liked Storm and T'Challa as members of the FF with Ben and Johnny during Dwayne McDuffie's too-short run on that book.

Yeah, the Storm/Black Panther wedding was Hudlin’s, so calling it the result of tone-deaf white people not knowing what to do with black characters was a little eye-roll inducing.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I want Marvel studios to get the Fantastic Four rights back. Only to have the line-up be T'Challa, Ororo, Peter, and Scott Lang. Full guest fantastic four lineup.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Naw, people are right, don't marry them, but having her introduced in a future BP movie is what I was want to see for the X-men. Have them show up in MCU movies that eventually leads to an X-men movie.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Storm and Logan or Storm and Thor are the best Storm ships imo. Speaking of MCU as it is, I think Storm/Thor would be a worthy addition, since Jane is out and people seem to really like Nakia.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Yeah, the Storm/Black Panther wedding was Hudlin’s, so calling it the result of tone-deaf white people not knowing what to do with black characters was a little eye-roll inducing.

My bad, Hudlin was the guy they brought in to fix Black Panther after decades misuse but I always assumed the Storm marriage was editorial.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sgt. Politeness posted:

My bad, Hudlin was the guy they brought in to fix Black Panther after decades misuse but I always assumed the Storm marriage was editorial.

He followed a well-received and still well-regarded run by Christopher Priest, didn't he? :confused:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

How does turning her into a hanger on for another character “elevate” her?

Storm is never a hanger on. She was elevating Black Panther.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Storm is never a hanger on. She was elevating Black Panther.

Storm elevates everyone around her. She is a goddess.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Also she had wind powers.

So the intro tells us that vibranium affected plant life, but with its connection to the spirit realm, I cannot help but imagine the heat shaped herb is a manifestation of the soul gem.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

If they put Storm in a Black Panther movie you know they'd avoid having them hook up, and instead explore his relationship with Nakia, and how he still loves her, even with the temptation of someone who is considered a literal African goddess.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Honestly with Lupita and Angela already in Black Panther canon, who should they theoretically tap to play Storm?

Aja Naomi King? Nicole Beharie? Gabrielle Union?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Nakia seems like a more thematically interesting relationship right now. Storm will have to develop her character separately first I think. Having a new character just walk in and marry is kinda weird.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koalas March posted:

Honestly with Lupita and Angela already in Black Panther canon, who should they theoretically tap to play Storm?

It really depends what kind of start they do with the X-Men. if they're going young, probably an actress that's an unknown today.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fangz posted:

Nakia seems like a more thematically interesting relationship right now. Storm will have to develop her character separately first I think. Having a new character just walk in and marry is kinda weird.

Yeah I just don't see how it would service any of the characters at this point.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It really depends what kind of start they do with the X-Men. if they're going young, probably an actress that's an unknown today.

Aja is 33 but can look and play younger or older.

I mean, Bianca Lawson has been playing teenagers since Buffy the vampire Slayer lol.

Marvel studios are a bunch of starfuckers so I don't see them going with anyone totally unknown.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I forgot about Priest. I'm probably mixing up a lot of poo poo going off memory but at the time it felt (not being a Black Panther reader) like they were marrying him to Storm, a popular if not underutilized character, to give him a push back into the spotlight.

For all intents and purposes Black Panther should have always been a front runner for Marvel but had been a C or D lister through the 80s and 90s and I just assumed, that in the same way they couldn't really get a grip on Luke Cage's character after the Blaxploitation era, it was the fault of out of touch white men.

I'm in no way an expert though so if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koalas March posted:

Marvel studios are a bunch of starfuckers so I don't see them going with anyone totally unknown.

For a single role sure.

But last time they did a team with Guardians they got the guy who was then known for being overweight and dumb on Parks and Rec, and a pro wrestler for 2 out of the 3 non-CGI roles.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Koalas March posted:

Are they? I haven't really sat down to think about this much but I always felt Marvel casting just gets whoever the best person is for the role, regardless of "stardom." Like with Pratt (who was known, but was not a star).

I guess you could argue they've trended to more bigger names lately, which does make sense with the overwhelming amount of success they've been having.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Koalas March posted:

What about the gal from Atlanta?

E: oh she's already playing Domino in the Deadpool sequel

• Locked thread