Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I love his pseudo-intellectual babbel coupled with him not knowing that cash is a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Credit card guy seems to have a phobia of credit and is irrational. There are some good questions and pity this one went unanswered.

quote:

It's essentially the same as going to a restaurant, ordering food and paying for it after the meal. Do you consider yourself to be in debt while you're eating?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Inept posted:

In one of his threads, the amputee guy starts arguing that keeping wet socks on your feet dries them out faster as long as you are warm and active as opposed to letting them air dry. People have to keep telling him to shut up so that he doesn't recommend giving some other person trench-foot as well. Depression sucks, but I think he's also a moron.

Anyone who takes an amputees advice on keeping your feet anything at all should probably expect to lose their own.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5z8891/college_student_completely_cut_off_with_two_weeks/
College Student Completely cut off with two weeks notice

quote:

Here's the short story: Girl (21) brings boy home to meet parents, parents dislike him and give an ultimatum, girl says gently caress ultimatums, parents cut her off completely. Parents call the cops and have boy arrested.

They will be retrieving the car I was handed down back in high school, taking back anything they have ever given me, will not be paying tuition and will not be subsidizing rent anymore. I cannot live under this tyranny! I have no debt to my name and have an associates of science degree. My plan is to withdraw from my classes, sell the stuff I don't use, get a full time job, do summer school at a cheaper rate if I can afford it by then. Oh, also I have no savings. Okay guys HELP ME.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

This is an interesting one! I've got the same type of parents ("Do as we say or we Take Away Everything!!") and my life has been significantly better since I told them to pound sand.

The reddit attitude is pretty beepboop "Boyfriend < College Education; action is sub-optimal" and someone actually said they're glad they got the haircut their dad demanded because otherwise they would've had to take out student loans.

Gross!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

quote:

[–]LilaCaster6195[S] 1 point 11 months ago
He is older than me, has been divorced and has a child. It's not the issue of choosing him over my family. The issue is my family is trying to manipulate me without ever having try to sit down and talk to me. He and I were driving home and just started receiving text after text about how terrible I was for dating someone like that. "Like that" being their preconceived notion of him.

Later on she says the guy is 12 years older than her. Parents are trying to save this lady from some BWL decisions.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Wow it took almost no effort to get the boyfriend arrested, I wonder why

quote:

He is older than me, has been divorced and has a child. It's not the issue of choosing him over my family. The issue is my family is trying to manipulate me without ever having try to sit down and talk to me. He and I were driving home and just started receiving text after text about how terrible I was for dating someone like that. "Like that" being their preconceived notion of him.
Yes there is. I'll do my best to be fair. He was arrested because of an unpaid ticket. He is 12 years older than me and has been married. He has one child who he sees often. My parents did't like him (mainly) because he was with me on the weekend, instead of with his child. Thats more specific short version.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bird in a Blender posted:

Later on she says the guy is 12 years older than her. Parents are trying to save this lady from some BWL decisions.

What's wrong with dating a 33 year old with a kid? I'm 31 and if I only considered childless non-divorcees I'd have like 1/10th the options.

Disclaimer - I didn't read anything else about the 33 year old so I'm not trying to defend him if he sells crack to amputee children or something

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

and someone actually said they're glad they got the haircut their dad demanded because otherwise they would've had to take out student loans.

Gross!

I would get a haircut to save tens of thousands of dollars.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

someone actually said they're glad they got the haircut their dad demanded because otherwise they would've had to take out student loans.

Gross!

At some point fighting that fight is absolutely necessary but if the two options are get your hair cut or pay for your own education, find me some clippers. Tell your Dad to pound sand after the checks clear.

I fully understand that it's easy to say that and there will always be another "do as I say for another financial reward" but that might be the world's most expensive mop-top.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Barry posted:

I fully understand that it's easy to say that and there will always be another "do as I say for another financial reward" but that might be the world's most expensive mop-top.

That's the thing, the haircut isn't a haircut, it's a life long commitment to whatever job, city, house, car, spouse your parents choose for you.

Once you've taught your parents, your boss, your spouse, etc that they can control you with "Do as I say for another financial reward" they'll keep doing it.

I'm with you on "I would cut my hair for $10,000" as an objective statement, though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What's wrong with dating a 33 year old with a kid? I'm 31 and if I only considered childless non-divorcees I'd have like 1/10th the options.

Nothing - unless you are 21 and still in college. Being 31 is a completely different thing.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Motronic posted:

Nothing - unless you are 21 and still in college. Being 31 is a completely different thing.

Indeed, at 21 she shouldn't be tying herself down to the demands of an older man

She should be enjoying the freedom and liberation available to a young independent woman who has to do whatever Daddy says

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Indeed, at 21 she shouldn't be tying herself down to the demands of an older man

She should be enjoying the freedom and liberation available to a young independent woman who has to do whatever Daddy says

Pretty much. She might be making a mistake but her parents are insane for acting this way. Her reaction might not be 100% rational, but it should be expected.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Disclaimer - I didn't read anything else about the 33 year old so I'm not trying to defend him if he sells crack to amputee children or something

A 21 year old college student dating a 33 year old with a kid is just asking for drama of all the worst kinds. If we're going to take the half plus seven rule to heart, a 33 year old should not be dating anyone younger than 23. I could not imagine being in my 30's and dating a college student, that would drive me nuts. Usually if a guy is that old and dating someone that young then they're just a creep.

I should say that the parents are going way overboard by cutting off their daughter, and it's an extreme rear end in a top hat move that will probably isolate her from the parents for a long long time. GWM for the parents though, now they get to spend all that college money on themselves.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The parents think if this guy had a kid with one woman and then left her then he's going to do the same with their daughter.

The age difference is bad, but the fact there's a baby mama out there sealed it. They don't want her to be a 23 year old single mother. I can't really blame them although they are going about this in the worst way possible.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Krispy Wafer posted:

The parents think if this guy had a kid with one woman and then left her then he's going to do the same with their daughter.

The age difference is bad, but the fact there's a baby mama out there sealed it. They don't want her to be a 23 year old single mother. I can't really blame them although they are going about this in the worst way possible.

Is that actually from the thread? Only thing I saw was that he was divorced. Didn't see anything about getting a chick pregnant and then bailing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is that actually from the thread? Only thing I saw was that he was divorced. Didn't see anything about getting a chick pregnant and then bailing.

quote:

He is older than me, has been divorced and has a child.
I think it's reading too much into it to paint him as some sort of deadbeat(assuming he actually sees the kid as often as OP claims), but it's another factor that would give her parents pause. The reasons any 33 year old(let alone one previously married & who had a kid) would be interested in a college student are creepy at best, predatory at worst.

There's also the fact that the dude had an arrest-worthy unpaid ticket hanging around. That doesn't happen by accident.

Of course the parents went about this the worst way possible, since cutting off a young person involved with a probably-creepy older person is a good way to feed into their "the world is against us, nobody understands us, I need to stick with them no matter what" complex.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Not saying that her parents are right. But I'd bet a lot of money that her life would end up a lot better if she listened to her parents on this one.

She sounds like an idiot, honestly. Who gets involved with that poo poo at age 23?

Edit: Also, no normal person has unpaid traffic tickets. This dude is obviously hosed up.

potatoducks fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 22, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

No, but that's what the parents see.

He could be a great guy and terrific father who just couldn't make it work with the mother. who goes out of his way to take care of his son, but they see a guy whose already had one kid and broken up with the child's mother and here he is sniffing around their daughter. It's an emotional reaction, but kind of valid.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The arrest thing is definitely worrisome and a sign that our narrator is not very reliable.

I don't think the police would show up at a moment's notice on request for some ticket deadbeat.

And how did the parents find out about the ticket?

I feel like the girl made that part up.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Haifisch posted:

The reasons any 33 year old(let alone one previously married & who had a kid) would be interested in a college student are creepy at best, predatory at worst.

She’s 23 not 13.

e: 21, but still.

Even if it’s just for sex, she’s an adult.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 22, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jordan7hm posted:

She’s 23 not 13.

It is fair to point out that college students are still children, for the most part. A 21 year old with 3 years life experience out of high school is nothing at all like a 21 year old wrapping up their Junior Year of college.

And hey, this girl is a college dropout with no work experience now, so it's a perfect match for an ancient 33 year old with a laundry list of ex wifes and neglected children.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

At least she has an AS. Depending on what it’s in you can actually get a good career going with that.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That's the thing, the haircut isn't a haircut, it's a life long commitment to whatever job, city, house, car, spouse your parents choose for you.

Once you've taught your parents, your boss, your spouse, etc that they can control you with "Do as I say for another financial reward" they'll keep doing it.

I'm with you on "I would cut my hair for $10,000" as an objective statement, though.

Sometimes, in your early 20's your parents say "eat this poo poo sandwich, or we won't pay your tuition" So you temporarily eat the poo poo sandwich, until you graduate, and then you never eat another poo poo sandwich now that you've gotten what you wanted. Also at the end you never have to talk to your parents again!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Mezzanon posted:

Sometimes, in your early 20's your parents say "eat this poo poo sandwich, or we won't pay your tuition" So you temporarily eat the poo poo sandwich, until you graduate, and then you never eat another poo poo sandwich now that you've gotten what you wanted. Also at the end you never have to talk to your parents again!

Yeah that's fair. If she's 69% of the way through college, just wrap that poo poo up on their dime while keeping it secret that you're dating the Forbidden Grampa.

Get diploma in hand then tell 'em to go to hell

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Haifisch posted:

And they literally are inescapable - it's almost impossible to remove a home from an HOA. As in, 'so hard that sometimes the only way to do it is dismantling the entire HOA.'

That's part of why people should think a while before buying into an HOA if they have other options available. Even if the HOA is fine now, all it takes is a critical mass of assholes or cheapskates(a lot of large assessments are caused because the HOA was skimping on insurance/maintenance/etc) joining the board to ruin everything. And you have basically zero recourse other than moving.

Like so:

HOA in Danger of Receivership

Well of course it is, they are designed to permanently replace the function and expense of city government operations and code enforcement in the subdivisions they serve. What motivation would other homeowners ever have to let somebody out of a homeowner's association if they benefit from the mutually maintained spaces? To see that they have to function as virtually permanent encumbrances on the title for that reason. Again the reason they exist is so that other people like you and me who don't live in that subdivision don't have to pay to maintain their poo poo. The examples of over-reach are just a phenomenon of personal pettiness and power seeking that exist in all similar organizations with minimal or uninterested accountability whether you call them governments or associations or clubs or sex parties or whatever.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

30 year old gonna put a baby in that college girl.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Jordan7hm posted:

She’s 23 not 13.

e: 21, but still.

Even if it’s just for sex, she’s an adult.

And he's 33 and can't have a good motive for pursuing a relationship with her. There's such a massive difference in life experience and maturity between a 21 year old and a 33 year old. She's not even finished college or ever supported herself, while he's been married, gotten divorced, has a criminal record and a child. What does a 33 year old guy find attractive about a 21 year old with no job or savings who has up until now been entirely dependent upon and supported by her parents?

"I cannot live under this tyranny!"
- her literal response to her parents withdrawing their financial support after her boyfriend is arrested

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Enfys posted:

And he's 33 and can't have a good motive for pursuing a relationship with her. There's such a massive difference in life experience and maturity between a 21 year old and a 33 year old. She's not even finished college or ever supported herself, while he's been married, gotten divorced, has a criminal record and a child. What does a 33 year old guy find attractive about a 21 year old with no job or savings who has up until now been entirely dependent upon and supported by her parents?

"I cannot live under this tyranny!"
- her literal response to her parents withdrawing their financial support after her boyfriend is arrested

Boobs. He's attracted to her boobs.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Solice Kirsk posted:

Boobs. He's attracted to her boobs.

Yeah, this is it. I'm 31 and couldn't imagine trying to have any sort of meaningful relationship with a 21 year old college student.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jesus Christ have kids forgotten how to lie to their parents or what???

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Pretty normal for a male of "women my age can't safely have kids anymore age" to be attracted to younger women

Specific to this guy, he sounds like he has problems if he's got Priors that can get the police to the house within a few minutes, but 21 year old women aren't lil baby children that need protecting from 33 year old predators.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

In that thread she said the parents were mad because the guy was supposed to be with his kids one day but blew it off to hang out with the dumb girl. Then he got mysteriously arrested on a "ticket thing" which I would guess was actually back child support or something.

If I were her parents I would probably try something similar, because how else do you get your idiot daughter to leave that loser?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Pretty normal for a male of "women my age can't safely have kids anymore age" to be attracted to younger women

Specific to this guy, he sounds like he has problems if he's got Priors that can get the police to the house within a few minutes, but 21 year old women aren't lil baby children that need protecting from 33 year old predators.

Get away from me with those dried up ovaries you 33 year olds, please don't die on me.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:biotruths:

The guy is sleazy for pursuing a relationship with her. Dress it up however you want, but older guys don't just go for 21 year olds because of boobs but also because they are still naive and don't have much experience of adult relationships or responsibilities, so it easy to manipulate them.

She's not a baby, but she's been entirely supported by her parents until now. Older men who prey on naive younger people are gross and it's disingenuous to pretend otherwise just because "lol boobies". That they happen to be attracted to them doesn't somehow make it any less sleazy :shrug:

Enfys fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 22, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Droo posted:

Get away from me with those dried up ovaries you 33 year olds, please don't die on me.

Lol, my sister was basically told those exact words when she told her OBGYN she wanted to start having kids at 34.

I'm also assuming that this 33 year old wouldn't meet a lady and give birth to a baby 24 hours later. They'd probably date 1-2 years, plan a wedding 1 year in the future, enjoy married life for maybe 1 year, and bam the 33 year old he met the day he started looking is now 37 when they decide to have kids.

"High risk geriatric pregnancy" is not fun

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
She needs to :sever:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

33 y/o women can absolutely have children safely, what the hell?

Anyway based on the girl's other posts about meeting up with swingers, selling her panti s etc. I imagine the situation was quite a bit more complicated than one might assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Vox Nihili posted:

33 y/o women can absolutely have children safely, what the hell?

Anyway based on the girl's other posts about meeting up with swingers, selling her panti s etc. I imagine the situation was quite a bit more complicated than one might assume.

you don't give birth to a child the day you meet your partner, though.