Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I got back in the gym yesterday. Maybe this will translate into some gains on the ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not after gains, I'm after not seeing more losses.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
What workouts do you all find translate onto the ice the best? Do you go for cardio conditioning so you can stay on your feet for an hour, core strength to get lower for longer, leg strength to skate harder, arm strength for better stick control?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're sedentary, any steady state cardio at all is good. If you're fit, look at HIIT. And do that if you're sedentary too.

For muscles, lunges and planks are a good basic routine to get your core strength up. If you go to a gym, deadlifts and squats are winners. Don't forget arm day so you can slash the gently caress out of assholes and actually flex your stick on shots.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm doing a lot of lower body stuff since that is pretty much 75% of being a goalie. Also gotta get those forearms stronger so slappers don't just go through my paddle.

Not sure what to do about cardio. Might try and do 30 mins of HIIT every other day, but I'm hoping that they'll be enough ice time that I can get my cardio there.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What workouts do you all find translate onto the ice the best? Do you go for cardio conditioning so you can stay on your feet for an hour, core strength to get lower for longer, leg strength to skate harder, arm strength for better stick control?

At this level if you want to get better and see an improvement in your game, repetition is going to be your best bet for now. Weights, workouts, cardio etc are all fine for but someone who learns their edges, can skate in control of their body/stick, and handle the puck are going to be infinitely better than most people at your same experience level. I've seen a lot of guys who are in ridiculous shape (muscular, cardio etc) but they were just learning hockey. Its as if their physical ability was pushing them to play beyond what their skill level could handle. Guys like this tend to skate ridiculously fast but can't stop or turn quickly. Or they skate ridiculously fast with their heads down. Or go into the boards full steam and fall because they are focused on the puck but forget they can't stop on one side.

Being in decent shape and having average cardio will put you into a good place to learn and thats usually a step above most adult beginners to be honest. (fat and out of shape). There's always time to improve that along with your hockey skill set. At this level, most people aren't practicing anymore and skill comes from muscle memory and doing things over and over again until its second nature. If you have a place to practice shots off ice, take a lot of shots. Stick handle off ice. You only touch the puck a few times for a few seconds at most per game. If thats your only interaction with stick handling, your progress is going to be slow. Go to public skate sessions, stick and puck sessions, and then eventually drop in hockey and beginner league games. Enroll in beginner clinics where people can tell you what you're doing wrong or how to improve.

Kevlar is one of those guys who started playing and I would guess is better than most people who have been only playing for a year because he's constantly on the ice and doing lessons. He started taking learn to play classes and various lessons so he might be a pretty good resource for that kind of stuff.

My story is that I played inline and ice hockey when I was younger (pre teens) then stopped through middle and highschool. I started playing inline again in college, joined a beer league team. The rink folded and ice was the only hockey around so I bought skates and started the switch. I went to a few public skates before signing up for a season of hockey 102 where you run drills and play games. Next was a few powerskating and stick handling clinics. I was playing drop in and then eventually got into beer league. Now I'm about middle of the road at most rinks I've played at. Out of 8 divisions (1 being high level college and junior players, 8 being beginners) I play as high as div 4. I could survive in div 3 but it would be a struggle. I notice a big difference in my abilities when I play more often per week. Now I play on three teams and I'm playing better on every team versus when I played once per week. I'm 34 and getting better every year. Things just hurt more the next day as I get older.

Moral of the story, just keep playing as much as possible. Practice when not on the ice. Clinics and drills help if you can find them. Focus on fundamentals but don't neglect your conditioning. Sorry for the :words: its a slow day at work.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Verman posted:

Kevlar is one of those guys who started playing and I would guess is better than most people who have been only playing for a year because he's constantly on the ice and doing lessons. He started taking learn to play classes and various lessons so he might be a pretty good resource for that kind of stuff.

I'm self-employed, so I can schedule my work around the rink's schedule rather than the other way around. It's allowed me to skate 4 days a week, every week since I started learning. Rat Hockey on Monday, Adults-only public skate on Tuesday, Hockey 101 lesson on Wednesday, and both Adults-only public skate and Hockey 102 lesson on Thursday. I'm improving much faster than other people who started at the same time I did just because I'm able to go to the rink more often.

As for exercise, I'm sure doing strength training would help me out, but :effort: All the ice time really helps me stay in shape, especially because I've been a pretty strict calorie counter ever since I lost a bunch of weight in college. That said, there are fat guys in Rat Hockey that can skate circles around me, so while being a good athlete is absolutely a leg up on the competition, being a good skater is much more important.

The biggest hurdle for me in improving right now is psychological. I didn't skate as a kid, so I never learned how to be fearless on the ice. Even though I'm in full pads and falling doesn't hurt me 95% of the times it happens, I still get freaked out when I'm learning new techniques, especially when I try them at full speed. Forward to backward transitions are my white whale. I can do them the beginner way, where I basically just start a hockey stop and whip around backwards, losing a ton of speed in the process, but trying to do them without losing speed, where I step and pivot, gives me the yips. No matter how perfect I can do them at low speed, as soon as I try to do it when I'm skating quickly, I'll have a brain fart and bail out before I even take the first step. I know the way to get good at them quickly would be to just keep trying at speed and keep falling until I figure it out, but I just can't push through the fear. So my solution for learning those has been to first feel more comfortable when skating backwards. I can pivot from backwards to forwards without losing speed easily already because I feel like I'm righting myself to my natural position of skating forward. If I become so comfortable at skating backwards that it feels natural, then I think pivoting from forwards to backwards will become easier. My other tactic is to just keep practicing at low speed until it becomes second nature and I don't have to think about doing it when I speed up. It's slow-going, but I feel like eventually it will pay off and I'll be able to do the transitions properly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The thing I've found that while yes playing hockey a lot will improve your health overall in the sense your doctor will be happy with your numbers, it doesn't improve your capacity to play harder in a game. Your body acclimates to whatever workload you ask of it, and if you never ramp up your routine you hit a plateau. Upper body strength can actually decline because in a typical skate you're not doing jack poo poo for resistance training.

The periods where I was religious about going to the gym between skates had very real impacts on how I played in a game.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm self-employed, so I can schedule my work around the rink's schedule rather than the other way around. It's allowed me to skate 4 days a week, every week since I started learning. Rat Hockey on Monday, Adults-only public skate on Tuesday, Hockey 101 lesson on Wednesday, and both Adults-only public skate and Hockey 102 lesson on Thursday. I'm improving much faster than other people who started at the same time I did just because I'm able to go to the rink more often.

As for exercise, I'm sure doing strength training would help me out, but :effort: All the ice time really helps me stay in shape, especially because I've been a pretty strict calorie counter ever since I lost a bunch of weight in college. That said, there are fat guys in Rat Hockey that can skate circles around me, so while being a good athlete is absolutely a leg up on the competition, being a good skater is much more important.

The biggest hurdle for me in improving right now is psychological. I didn't skate as a kid, so I never learned how to be fearless on the ice. Even though I'm in full pads and falling doesn't hurt me 95% of the times it happens, I still get freaked out when I'm learning new techniques, especially when I try them at full speed. Forward to backward transitions are my white whale. I can do them the beginner way, where I basically just start a hockey stop and whip around backwards, losing a ton of speed in the process, but trying to do them without losing speed, where I step and pivot, gives me the yips. No matter how perfect I can do them at low speed, as soon as I try to do it when I'm skating quickly, I'll have a brain fart and bail out before I even take the first step. I know the way to get good at them quickly would be to just keep trying at speed and keep falling until I figure it out, but I just can't push through the fear. So my solution for learning those has been to first feel more comfortable when skating backwards. I can pivot from backwards to forwards without losing speed easily already because I feel like I'm righting myself to my natural position of skating forward. If I become so comfortable at skating backwards that it feels natural, then I think pivoting from forwards to backwards will become easier. My other tactic is to just keep practicing at low speed until it becomes second nature and I don't have to think about doing it when I speed up. It's slow-going, but I feel like eventually it will pay off and I'll be able to do the transitions properly.

The one thing I noticed from my pond hockey trial with high schoolers was that I was the only one skating backwards, at all. I can transition pretty well front to back, back to front, glide through a circle facing the same way, and get decent speed backwards. It gave me a huge edge when playing defense and when setting up along the boards for offense.

I'm hoping it makes up for my total lack of puck control early on. I'm also going to get a stick handling ball so I can practice that muscle memory in the garage off-ice.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

The thing I've found that while yes playing hockey a lot will improve your health overall in the sense your doctor will be happy with your numbers, it doesn't improve your capacity to play harder in a game. Your body acclimates to whatever workload you ask of it, and if you never ramp up your routine you hit a plateau. Upper body strength can actually decline because in a typical skate you're not doing jack poo poo for resistance training.

The periods where I was religious about going to the gym between skates had very real impacts on how I played in a game.

Yeah I never noticed much actual strength gains from playing hockey. You'll still want the gym for that. Not sure it's as good for endurance training either tbh because most of us here probably spend far more time than we'd like to think coasting around during the game. How often are you really stressing yourself physically when playing hockey in the average beer league game?

Actual running/lifting is gonna work better but gently caress if hockey isn't a way funner way to at least burn some calories.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

^ this is all true

Gym: kettlebell everything. push-ups and pull-ups. Deadlifts, squats, ropes. Sled pushes. Core, legs, arms it’s all beneficial.

If your gym has sliders, use those for stridework.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I play hockey to work off my beer drinking. Which has lead to drinking more beer so really exercise is moot.

Actually, I started doing some kettlebell stuff, the goblet squat I think helped me.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

^ this is all true

Gym: kettlebell everything. push-ups and pull-ups. Deadlifts, squats, ropes. Sled pushes. Core, legs, arms it’s all beneficial.

Quick! sellouts is giving real tangible advice, somebody ask him something important!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Goblet squat is great!

I like 3 variations of presses. Bottoms up until failure, then open palm press until failure then regular military/strict press.

Basically all you need is 2 kettlebells and you can do almost everything you could ever want.

Hockles posted:

Quick! sellouts is giving real tangible advice, somebody ask him something important!

Please refer to the last line of the trip booklet I sent you.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Life feels incomplete without a day sheet.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Pleads posted:

Life feels incomplete without a day sheet.

Yeah, I've been sitting in bed since I got home because I don't know what I'm supposed to do without one.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I've got a guy selling me a new helmet, gloves that fit, and a bag on Saturday for cheap.

I'm going to that thursday night instructional xzzy mentioned tonight.

I'll be the big idiot with a lovely helmet, gloves that are stupid big, carrying equipment in an aldi bag. It's gonna be a real good look for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Need to be careful, hockey fashion dictates that your gear must be as old and ragged as possible to make it clear to everyone you have been skating since you were two and are not to be hosed with.

You show up with some ratty rear end old poo poo and everyone's gonna line up to see how heavy your slap shot is.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If you don't have a tinted visor and white gloves lol just lol

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Just bring all your stuff in a black garbage bag for max cred.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Hockles posted:

Yeah, I've been sitting in bed since I got home because I don't know what I'm supposed to do without one.

I just went back to the beginning of the book. I'm back in Colorado now but no one else is.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

We did some defensive drills in today's lesson and holy poo poo I am so bad at defending. I can skate and shoot better than probably 75% of my classmates, but I am far and away the worst one at defense. :negative:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Basic rules are keep your hand glued to your hip to disguise your stick range and try to maintain pace until they make their move. If they're light years faster than you it's hopeless, pivot and do your best to backcheck and hopefully gum up their shot.

The benefit to disguising your reach with a stick is a hilarious number of forwards get in too close before making their move, which means it's relatively easy to poke the puck off their stick as they try to get by. But if you're waving your stick around like a metal detector they're gonna know exactly when to dangle you.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Playing D is fun. I enjoy ruining peoples offensive rushes almost as much as I like scoring goals.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I, too, enjoy playing D (unless bradf0rd is in net) but not as much as scoring goals because I rarely do that.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Xzzy if you see this in time what pads are necessary for the all seasons hockey lessons? I'm guessing head hands and maybe shins? Pants? Elbows?

E; dude. You didn't warm me. I wasn't ready. Holy poo poo, hockey is hard and this was no loving beginners class.

I was a total fish out of water for the first fifteen minutes of drills, but I didn't fall down!

Eventually I caught on and sped up, stayed for the scrimmage and again was so far behind the puck all night. The big positive is the two guys I talked to were surprised it was my first time playing hockey, I guess.

That was some real 'in the deep end' poo poo though.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 23, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

^ this is all true

Box jumps are fun too. I tend to work mostly on my upper body strength and endurance when I go to the gym because I have tree trunk legs but my natural upper body strength is not as good. So for me I get more mileage out of working upper body though I try to mix in leg days here and there.

Or at least I did all of that when I actually went to the gym. I need to get a good workout regimen going again. I'm gonna be a hilarious wreck when I hit the ice after the months off I've had.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I managed 1 goal against in 4 playoff games.

The 1 goal of course comes at the championship, and we're shut out.

No win for Molson Twins.

I blame you Bradf0rd.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Brad doesn’t care any more we’re too busy shunning his Seattle teams

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

This...except we had fun against one of the teams.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

sellouts posted:

I just figured that was on your guys' day sheet

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Loqieu posted:

Just bring all your stuff in a black garbage bag for max cred.

Unless you've got an unused suitcase you don't mind stinking up. I play with a guy that brings all his stuff in a rolling suitcase. Not a rolling hockey bag, a legit suitcase. Naturally he is called Suitcase and even though he is an older guy he is still pretty good. All the hands, good passing, just the legs have gone away a bit.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I got drilled with 3 slapshots today, one of which was from my teammate that hit me in the calf from behind. Then I hit the post on a one-timer where I had a good 3/4 of the net wide open. :negative:

Still, I felt like I played better today than I normally do.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I got drilled with 3 slapshots today, one of which was from my teammate that hit me in the calf from behind. Then I hit the post on a one-timer where I had a good 3/4 of the net wide open. :negative:

Still, I felt like I played better today than I normally do.

Didn't know you're Toby Enstrom IRL. Any Jets insider info you can give us?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Had a great goal last night on a brilliant breakaway feed from my right winger. I was playing center in our D zone and our defenseman got the puck behind the net and rang it around the right side boards. Their defenseman pinched on the puck but my right winger won the race and hit me streaking into the neutral zone in full stride. The goalie came out quite a bit and set up but I noticed he was favoring the left side with me being a lefty.

I'm a lefty coming in off the right boards towards the middle so he started cheating to the left. I noticed the right side open so I brought the puck in a foot closer to my body and shot high right corner which was wide open. Goalie never even had a chance. Had I not changed the angle I probably would have hit his shoulder. Felt really good.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Teammates are more dangerous when it comes to getting hit by pucks. Well at least at my level.

Terrible zamboni driver story. There was one guy at the rink who did a pretty decent job cutting the ice. Unfortunately, they cut his time back for some reason. Cue the new guy who has been doing it for about 8 months now. Last night he's cutting the ice before our game and takes the corners boards at fullish speed. About 2 passes later he does the same exact thing. I swear he must have been drunk. Also, I was honestly surprised he didn't break the boards.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
I played last night for the first time in a couple weeks, since I was out of town, and unfortunately the numbers were low and we played 4 on 4 with 1 on each bench. I didn't think the pace was that bad and after in the locker room I was about to say, for 4 on 4 the pace seemed like it was pretty good when somebody else chimed in and was like, at least it was a pretty slow skate so it wasn't too, too bad with just one on the bench. Getting old sucks :sigh:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Xzzy if you see this in time what pads are necessary for the all seasons hockey lessons? I'm guessing head hands and maybe shins? Pants? Elbows?

E; dude. You didn't warm me. I wasn't ready. Holy poo poo, hockey is hard and this was no loving beginners class.

I was a total fish out of water for the first fifteen minutes of drills, but I didn't fall down!

Eventually I caught on and sped up, stayed for the scrimmage and again was so far behind the puck all night. The big positive is the two guys I talked to were surprised it was my first time playing hockey, I guess.

That was some real 'in the deep end' poo poo though.

Hey man, congrats on taking the plunge. Starting any new hobby at our age can be hard. Starting something like ice hockey is monumental. Keep it up and next time, push yourself until you do fall down!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oops I missed that post.

Welcome to me 6 years ago or whatever. That class was my first time in hockey gear too. :v:

It never gets easy but you become the not worst skater pretty fast if you work at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Is it still start with (.5 x body weight) for stick flex? I still don't feel like my old wood stick is holding me back, but the backups I bought are too short. I want to try a lot of different blades before I buy expensive sticks so I want to go 2 piece (plus I will probably need an extension), but all the 100+ flex shafts are $100+.

Incidentally how do you measure stick length? I put the tip of the blade on the tip of my tape measure and the stick I like is 70.25" (just below the tip of my nose on skates).