Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Endless Mike posted:

FYI: Diamond says it's shipping to comic stores next week (Amazon's listing doesn't have it coming until July). You're probably not finding it since they're just calling is Uber Vol. 6 rather than Uber: Invasion Vol. 1.

Nice, thanks. Pre-ordered from Amazon so we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Followup on Uber's digital release woes

'Any updates on Uber Invasion #11 on Comixology?'

'Hopefully before issue 12 drops, and it’s hopeful that issue 12 will come out properly. There’s basically some pipeline issues which should be solved by then.'

I subscribe to Uber on Comixology and they've got the next issue listed as coming out tomorrow, so cross your fingers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And the missing issue is out now.

Aw jeez.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 21, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is Uber the most popular indie comic on these boards or just the one with the most releasing problems?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 21, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why cant it be both?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Any indie comic that manages to maintain its own thread is obviously more popular than Uber,

But yeah, its release problems seem to generate a decent bit of discussion.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Uber Invasion 11 just showed up for me :toot:

(Also Bloodborne #1)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New comics announced from Image: http://www.comicosity.com/image-expo-2018-announcements-include-blackbird-dead-guy-fan-club-and-more/

Michael Fiffe (Copra) writing and drawing a Liefield property is perfect.

Very into a lot of those.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Very bleh about all of that. I will probably get Death or Glory.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'll give Blackbird, Dead Rabbit, Death or Glory, Leviathan, and Echolands a shot I think.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dead Guy Fan Club, Dead Rabbit, Death or Glory, Leviathan, and maybe Echolands for me

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm not sure just yet but Blackbird, Death or Glory, Farmhand, and maybe Leviathan.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's an article on the Annie Wu comic https://nerdist.com/annie-wu-dead-guy-fan-club-image-expo-exclusive/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm glad Jen Bartel is getting more work, even if the book itself doesn't interest me. Jook joint I'll at least check out the first issue.

Having a book capitalizing on #metoo written by a guy is the most tone deaf poo poo tho

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Echolands and Crowded sound good.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

PUMPED FOR BLOODSTRIKE!

Also aside from what's already been mentioned, more Farel Dalrymple comics are always good.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Sex Criminals had a “nice” in response to someone paying $69 for something. Am I the only one still reading this book? Reveal yourself, Fraction and/or Zdarsky!

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
Oh I am! Haven't grabbed this week's issue, but I haven't laughed as hard at a panel than I did for last month's mom circle.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I am, but in trades. I feel like if I can’t buy it from the beginning, I can’t buy it monthly after catching up.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ok so I’m an idiot and saw there’s a :bsg: vs :bsg: comic out and it’s your classic old show meets new show but issue 2 has the most batshit insane idea / throwaway plot I’ve ever seen and I loving love it for it. So quick recap in the off chance you don’t know anything about BSG: Humans made cylons, cylons rebelled, humans almost all die but a few escape. In the new show, they introduce the concept of skin jobs: cylons that are “human” and used to infiltrate and sabotage humanity’s efforts. As a relevant side note: Richard Hatch played Apollo (Commander Adama’s son) in the old show and Tom Zarek, a terrorist and politician, in the new show. So issue two has the crews meet and Adama is introducing everyone to Adama until old show Apollo is introduced... and the new show crew proceeds to freak out and have their marines point their guns at the old crew. Turns out Apollo and Tom Zarek looks exactly the same so the new crew thinks they’re cylons for a little while.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That's such a ridiculous premise, I have to try and find that now.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Wow, new issue of Nowhere Men in a couple of weeks. I wasn't expecting the hiatus to ever end!

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
After two issues I still have no idea how I feel about The Ice Cream Man.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

IUG posted:

I am, but in trades. I feel like if I can’t buy it from the beginning, I can’t buy it monthly after catching up.

Do the trades have the letters pages? I mean I'd assume not, but they're a pretty big part of the comic to the point that it's quite notable that this issue only had one. Well, two, but the second one was mostly for the purposes of responding "Maybe more letters aren't a good idea this time" because the first was a very long letter and response about miscarriage.

On the other end of the spectrum, the recap page was to the tune of Livin' on a Prayer.

Went to the ol store just yesterday and just about poo poo to find Black Monday Murders, Monstress, and Sex Crims waiting for me. That's like witnessing a demon loving another demon loving a unicorn during a total eclipse.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Saga started so good for me but then after 2 volumes or so it now feels completely aimless and just spinning wheels until he figures out what he wants to do with the story.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I would agree with this. The time jump / drug addiction story was awful. Then it gets better, and then you see a dragon getting itself off... I feel like Saga lives on hype, and a solid first 12 issues.
Completely agree with both of these...it built up a lot of credit with me but didn't go much of anywhere with it, or it went into really facepalmingly weird + disgusting deviantart-esque directions and poo poo. Can't say I'm super interested in where most of these characters go on from here. I remember loving it but it lost me at some point.
Like at this point I almost feel like Descender is consistently a better series but I'm not super into either.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Completely agree with both of these...it built up a lot of credit with me but didn't go much of anywhere with it, or it went into really facepalmingly weird + disgusting deviantart-esque directions and poo poo.

Brian K Vaughn . Txt

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Completely agree with both of these...it built up a lot of credit with me but didn't go much of anywhere with it, or it went into really facepalmingly weird + disgusting deviantart-esque directions and poo poo. Can't say I'm super interested in where most of these characters go on from here. I remember loving it but it lost me at some point.
Like at this point I almost feel like Descender is consistently a better series but I'm not super into either.

everyone gushed so much about it i thought i was crazy for having this opinion though i never loved it but thought it was entertaining

Jordan7hm posted:

Brian K Vaughn . Txt

ex machina was pretty consistent and never felt meandering (loved how vaughan managed to keep something about the mayor of new york largely nonpartisan aside from a small number of contentious issues against all odds). hated the ending at the time but as i think back i think it makes the story more interesting.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Brian K Vaughn . Txt
googling his name (I know I know Im bad at comics) to see if that's held up for me lol
Y the Last Man yeah...pretty much...
Runaways...I liked that.
Ex Machina I tried to start but I found the political stuff too clumsy+lame...guess I oughta give that another shot already
We Stand on Guard was dumb but I found it fun in the "Hey Americans do stupid blockbuster action patriotic propaganda it's funny having a Canadian comic book version"

I really liked Pride of Baghdad, I guess you gotta make sure you have a premise that BKV can't carry on too long or have weird fetish/stupid harem stuff in there.

ahhh, and Paper Girls...guess I need to start that already, had people telling me to start that for a while...looks like a premise he can't make weird either (im loving hoping here)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I mean it was sad coming from a comics background of mostly reading manga, and having Y the Last Man be one of the first major western comics you read...it's like poo poo, I'm trying to avoid this sort of eyeroll-worthy male wish fulfillment poo poo in manga as it is.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

ahhh, and Paper Girls...guess I need to start that already, had people telling me to start that for a while...looks like a premise he can't make weird either (im loving hoping here)

What do you mean by weird? The comic's about the girls facing all kinds of wacked out sci-fi weirdness.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh I didn't know, I just skimmed a few sentences of description about newspaper delivery girls, haven't read it yet. Assume it's worth the shot.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Descender has been gold from day one, and I wonder why it doesn't get more love. Sort of a bummer that your're not into it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Descender has been gold from day one, and I wonder why it doesn't get more love. Sort of a bummer that your're not into it.
I was just kinda hedging so as not to be too high on descender and harsh on saga.
I don't read a lot of space/sci fi stuff but it's definitely good, I like it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Vaughan is a goddamn king whenever he shakes his Lost-isms like jumping from one unsolved mystery to another while still leaving breadcrumbs as if things will eventually get resolved. These Paper Girls are making me salty!

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
This started over a week ago but I only just noticed it: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-expo-comics

Some very good stuff in there, any recommendations for the more obscure titles?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Do you have $20? Each level is a good value with great stuff, so It's worth getting as much as you can.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Koburn posted:

This started over a week ago but I only just noticed it: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-expo-comics

Some very good stuff in there, any recommendations for the more obscure titles?

Of what I've read:
ODY-C has beautiful art, but the story wasn't great. Might read better in trade.
Descender I dropped but definitely seems like it would read better in trade.
East of West is great, and almost certainly reads better in trade.
I Hate Fairyland is lots of fun.
Chew I read a volume of and enjoyed but never picked up more.
Manhattan Projects is crazy insanity but kind of just stops being made without much of an ending (it's technically still going whenever Hickman and Pitarra feel like doing more)
Paper Girls is great
Saga is excellent, but kind of meandering
The Wicked and the Divine is one of my favorite books being published
Southern Bastards is another favorite, but it's depressing as all hell
Bitch Planet I eventually dropped but it's probably DeConnick's best work
Snotgirl I thought was awful
God Country is pretty interesting and lasts exactly as long as it needs to
I Kill Giants is a must-read imo
Sex Criminals is, again, another of my favorites (and I'm sad that they've suggested there's only another year or so of it)

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Wow, new issue of Nowhere Men in a couple of weeks. I wasn't expecting the hiatus to ever end!

loving finally. What's the release date, so I can make sure my local store don't gently caress it up?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

frameset posted:

loving finally. What's the release date, so I can make sure my local store don't gently caress it up?

March 14th!

Interesting developments in Saga this week. Hopefully things stay focused moving forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really like the first storyline of Elsewhere.

Bitch Planet is good, but the best parts of it IMO are the letters and essays at the end (which I don't know would be included in trades) and the several issues of standalone stories that were all done by different creative teams, which is only in the Triple Feature volume there.