Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Sure they're not just the GK falchions?

I don't know. They might be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed

Is there anything fedora wearing nerds can't make uncool? Signs point strongly to 'no.'

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Weird/dumb question: how exactly does a model having multiple weapons work?

The tone of what I've read suggests that they can fire all their weapons, which sounds kind of silly. Is it unique weapons only? Because Booley said 2 power swords is a waste while power sword + chainsword isn't.

I've been wondering this since I read the SoB tactics page that pointed out that a cannoness can take a bolter and boltgun due to poor organization.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

Weird/dumb question: how exactly does a model having multiple weapons work?

The tone of what I've read suggests that they can fire all their weapons, which sounds kind of silly. Is it unique weapons only? Because Booley said 2 power swords is a waste while power sword + chainsword isn't.

I've been wondering this since I read the SoB tactics page that pointed out that a cannoness can take a bolter and boltgun due to poor organization.

You can take multiple melee weapons but to use both you have to split your attacks between both weapons which is sort of a pain and you get no bonus for two of the same weapons. The chainsword's ability gives an extra chainsword attack so it's worth it (and free besides). For shooting though you fire all your weapons excluding pistols and grenades.If you use either of those you're limited to either "firing" the grenade or the pistol individually.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

FromTheShire posted:

Is there anything fedora wearing nerds can't make uncool? Signs point strongly to 'no.'

Backwards swords are not cool. That space marine mini was not cool.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Corrode posted:

That's sort of the point of them though. Probably more egregious for me is plasma weapons, where overcharging should really be "the bearer suffers a mortal wound" which would do the same on 4pt Guardsmen as it does now but wouldn't make overcharging plasma on e.g. Mephiston completely terrifying.

AnEdgelord posted:

Personally I love it, it means that you don't have mathematically unkillable super units running roughshod over the board. You can drown them in mortal wounds now.

This is a problem because with AP modifiers and the new wounding system there is no longer such thing as a unkillable unit.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 22, 2018

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Only limitations on weapons usage are if you fire pistols you only fire pistols types and if you throw grenades you only throw that one type of grenade, everything else in ranged is fair game and combat is just limited by the attacks you have available to divide between weapons.

Something having two power swords is a waste because it literally gets you nothing over carrying a single power sword, but chainswords and things of their ilk grant an additional attack.

So yes the deal with the sisters equipment rules does mean you can carry and fire 2 rapid fire 1 boltguns.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Cool, is there a SoB cannoness model shooting two boltguns, or is that kitbash/3p/greenstuff territory? It's cool if not since these two look cool and wouldnt be too hard to slap boltguns on:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/U76JEKZLD/sisters-of-war-angelus-twin-magma-pistols-a?optionId=64648601

https://www.shapeways.com/product/VPRUBXBJ9/sisters-of-war-angelus-twin-pistol-a?optionId=64648113

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Zuul the Cat posted:

Okay, amended list. Any thoughts?

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) [63 PL, 1187pts] ++

+ Heavy Support +

Onager Dunecrawler [7 PL, 145pts]: Cognis heavy stubber, Smoke Launchers
. Neutron laser & cognis heavy Stubber: Cognis heavy stubber, Neutron Laser

+ HQ +

Tech-Priest Dominus [7 PL, 127pts]: Eradication Ray, Macrostubber, Omnissian Axe

Tech-Priest Dominus [7 PL, 125pts]: Macrostubber, Omnissian Axe, Volkite Blaster

+ Uncategorised +

Forge World: Stygies VIII

+ Troops +

Kataphron Destroyers [10 PL, 210pts]
. Kataphron Destroyer: Cognis Flamer, Heavy grav-cannon

Kataphron Destroyers [10 PL, 210pts]

Skitarii Vanguards [4 PL, 40pts]: 4x Skitarii Vanguard
. Vanguard Alpha: Radium Carbine

Skitarii Vanguards [4 PL, 40pts]: 4x Skitarii Vanguard
. Vanguard Alpha: Radium Carbine

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Adeptus Custodes) [45 PL, 804pts] ++

+ HQ +

Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike [9 PL, 164pts]: Auric Aquilis, Hurricane Bolter, Misericordia, Superior Creation, Warlord

Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike [9 PL, 160pts]: Hurricane Bolter

++ Total: [108 PL, 1991pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I would rather shoot myself in the head than play against this.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Ditto. You win, and we don't have to waste time setting up.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I get the sentiment, but if there's any faction where 5 captains can show up by themselves it's the Custodes.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I get the sentiment, but if there's any faction where 5 captains can show up by themselves it's the Custodes.

But why are they showing up with admech. And why are they showing up in my game to make it less fun?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Artum posted:

Something having two power swords is a waste because it literally gets you nothing over carrying a single power sword, but chainswords and things of their ilk grant an additional attack.

Just model your dude with two sweet-rear end power swords, pay the cost for a powersword+chainsword, tell your opponent before the game, and if he whinges about it, call him a nerd and dunk his dome in the nearest toilet asap

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

Just model your dude with two sweet-rear end power swords, pay the cost for a powersword+chainsword, tell your opponent before the game, and if he whinges about it, call him a nerd and dunk his dome in the nearest toilet asap

This is only right and proper.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gender illusionist posted:

Backwards swords are not cool. That space marine mini was not cool.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Booley posted:

But why are they showing up with admech. And why are they showing up in my game to make it less fun?

A credible threat to Terra was found on planet Ruins-in-the-corners-random-scatter-terrain-everywhere - an Age of Darkness era weapon. The Custodes dispatched a small strike team to neutralize it, and requisitioned the forces of an Ad-Mech Forge Ship that was in the area. The Ad Mech are interested in what super weapon is, and any rare tech/bio material that could be recovered from the dead threat.

The Captains are unsupported, so their Character rule won't really come into play. Doesn't sound like an unfun list.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

A credible threat to Terra was found on planet Ruins-in-the-corners-random-scatter-terrain-everywhere - an Age of Darkness era weapon. The Custodes dispatched a small strike team to neutralize it, and requisitioned the forces of an Ad-Mech Forge Ship that was in the area. The Ad Mech are interested in what super weapon is, and any rare tech/bio material that could be recovered from the dead threat.

The Captains are unsupported, so their Character rule won't really come into play. Doesn't sound like an unfun list.

Uhh, the character rule completely comes into play. As long as anything else (skitarii, kataphrons) are closer they can't be targeted, and even if they get shot by one unit they're super durable. Keep them behind your lines as a countrrcharge unit, or rush them out to hammer something.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MasterSlowPoke posted:

planet Ruins-in-the-corners-random-scatter-terrain-everywhere

Ah, a planet I've fought on many times

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm sure it is a fun list to play against people. Now put yourself in the position of the person that's being used against.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Beerdeer posted:

I'm sure it is a fun list to play against people. Now put yourself in the position of the person that's being used against.

It's not my list, but it really doesn't look abusive. It's fairly similar to a CSM list with 3 Demon Princes, 3 Predators, cultists, and something like Oblits or Scarab Occult termies. That doesn't really strike me as something very objectionable.

Booley posted:

Uhh, the character rule completely comes into play. As long as anything else (skitarii, kataphrons) are closer they can't be targeted, and even if they get shot by one unit they're super durable. Keep them behind your lines as a countrrcharge unit, or rush them out to hammer something.

The Karaphrons are long range gunners, and won't be closer to you unless you want to charge them or something. The Skitarii are 10 t3 4+sv models that are much slower than the Captains, who are only really good at mid range. That's not really a screen. The Captains are the only forward elements of the list.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

Turns out you escaped from the Black Cells, and the only way to banish you, the player, from the Imperium forever is to make you face five Shadowkeepers.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I play custodes for the fluff

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Beerdeer posted:

Ditto. You win, and we don't have to waste time setting up.

Booley posted:

To reiterate guys, I'm not fielding this in friendly games. This is for tournament play where I don't want to spend 3 games just picking up all my models and not killing anything because AdMech is so laughably bad.

My friendly list with them is much more toned down - a single captain and 3 jetbike squads, if I even field them at all. From what I was told earlier, the Jetbikes are good but not broken.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's not my list, but it really doesn't look abusive. It's fairly similar to a CSM list with 3 Demon Princes, 3 Predators, cultists, and something like Oblits or Scarab Occult termies. That doesn't really strike me as something very objectionable.

Each of those Shield-Captains must be killed in an objective game or they will contest whatever they get closest to. Since they're flyers they can't be locked in assault and they have a guaranteed 20" movement. In addition each Custodes will be able to act as a Warlord since they have a stratagem that allows that title to be moved to a new Shield-Captain upon the death of an old one. With 7 wounds, T6, and a 4+ invulnerable they're fairly hard to kill as well. They're a viable threat against a huge number of opponents, including flyers since they can charge them. Meanwhile the Dunecrawlers and Destroyers form a pretty solid, long-range firebase with plenty of firepower to make lots of things miserable.

I expect to see Shield-Captain bikers be a core element of any competitive Imperial list on account of how useful they are.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zuul the Cat posted:

To reiterate guys, I'm not fielding this in friendly games. This is for tournament play where I don't want to spend 3 games just picking up all my models and not killing anything because AdMech is so laughably bad.

My friendly list with them is much more toned down - a single captain and 3 jetbike squads, if I even field them at all. From what I was told earlier, the Jetbikes are good but not broken.

I think you'd be better off using Phosphor blasters instead of the flamers on the Destroyers, and having enough room for another squad of Skitarii Vanguards.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think you'd be better off using Phosphor blasters instead of the flamers on the Destroyers, and having enough room for another squad of Skitarii Vanguards.

Good point! I didn't even think of that. If I drop the Misericordia and switch the flamers to blasters, I can fit in a 5 man squad of rangers, as I only have 10 Vanguard.

I was mostly fielding the Flamers as a way to dump out some wounds onto chargers should they get charged.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Each of those Shield-Captains must be killed in an objective game or they will contest whatever they get closest to. Since they're flyers they can't be locked in assault and they have a guaranteed 20" movement. In addition each Custodes will be able to act as a Warlord since they have a stratagem that allows that title to be moved to a new Shield-Captain upon the death of an old one. With 7 wounds, T6, and a 4+ invulnerable they're fairly hard to kill as well. They're a viable threat against a huge number of opponents, including flyers since they can charge them. Meanwhile the Dunecrawlers and Destroyers form a pretty solid, long-range firebase with plenty of firepower to make lots of things miserable.

I expect to see Shield-Captain bikers be a core element of any competitive Imperial list on account of how useful they are.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot that Custodes contest even when outnumbered. That would actually really help me grab objectives too. 2 birds with 1 stone!

-- Hang on, does The Emperor’s Chosen mean that my Warlord with the Auric Aquilis will have a 2+/2++ save? (edit - it says maximum 3++, but still, drat).

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 22, 2018

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Spoiler Alert I caught a glimpse of Aaron Aelong's current Imperial Soup list on BCP. Can confirm Jet Bike-Captains will be out in full force for Adepticon.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Zuul the Cat posted:

Good point! I didn't even think of that. If I drop the Misericordia and switch the flamers to blasters, I can fit in a 5 man squad of rangers, as I only have 10 Vanguard.

I was mostly fielding the Flamers as a way to dump out some wounds onto chargers should they get charged.

It might be worth dropping one captain to get a second Admech Battalion, as you now have 5 troop choices. They seem like they're CP thirsty.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zuul the Cat posted:

That's a good approach. If I'm doing the math right you can give both Tech-Priests Volkite Blasters and Phosophor Serpentas to hit an even 2000.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hixson posted:

I play custodes for the fluff

sometimes i spit in your beer when you're not looking. you have no idea if i'm joking or not

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

panascope posted:

sometimes i spit in your beer when you're not looking. you have no idea if i'm joking or not

I was wondering why his beer tasted like cum

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Uroboros posted:

Spoiler Alert I caught a glimpse of Aaron Aelong's current Imperial Soup list on BCP. Can confirm Jet Bike-Captains will be out in full force for Adepticon.

Sharing is caring

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Science Rocket posted:

I was wondering why his beer tasted like cum

You’re an expert on the taste of cum?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

You’re an expert on the taste of cum?

You aren't?

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Admech/custodes party time

Given it’s clearly pitched at tournaments, I’d be slightly worried that the list is a little soft to dark reapers (damage three missiles are ideally statted to crater the kataphrons and cut out your core) and a big blob of shining spears multi-charging your onagers (given they’re incentivised to cluster up). Hopefully the threat of the shield captains getting amongst any sort of Eldar firebase would mitigate that a bit, but realistically you will run into 15 reaper 10 spear armies, and it looks like they’ll have a good shot at carving you up.

In general, it looks good though, and frankly I’m just sad I can’t have a tilt against it with my list (which is a slightly softer Eldar list than the hypothetical ones above and I frankly suspect I’d lose).

In other news more palatable to the rest of the thread, episode three of “Fix my old models” has now concluded.

At 7:30 I was like “oh I don’t remember these ones being too bad, I’ll just get them out and quickly fix any paint chips on the helmets and plates before I paint some new stuff”.

At 7:45 we were into “oh wow these really did get chipped a lot though and there are like whole sections I seem to have missed, maybe if I just,,,”

3.5 hours later:

Relatively happy how these came out, there’s still the odd tiny flash of metal showing, but short of completely stripping and repriming (which I have neither the time nor energy to do) that was always going to be the case, and I now won’t feel ashamed putting them on the table.

Developing any sort of standards was a loving mistake.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

FromTheShire posted:

Yeah combat knives is no problem, I'm looking for a sword though to do one of my Death Company guys in the typical 'superhero landing from a great height' pose. Basically something like this, though still deciding if I go double swords for coolness or an actual legal loadout.

This straight up looks like they just took a left hand and put it on the right arm, and vice-versa. It kinda works, as long as you don't get close enough to see the thumbs and think about what homeboy's wrists must be doing. Easy to find the bits for this, and do the conversion, though.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Ah, a planet I've fought on many times

Planet Dunketron III, where the only thing more dangerous than the enemy is the intense shame you feel from the propaganda posters they produce featuring you getting owned.

I'm referring to the general you, by which I mean me, of course.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

PyrE posted:

I am completely new to WH40k tabletop, familiar with the universe because of video games and high school friends but I am looking for advice on what units to use. I will be sitting down this weekend with my friend who is familiar with 40k to set up an army but would like to have some other peoples thoughts.

I will be using orks and the other friends I'm playing against will be space wolves and probably tau. We discussed 1000-1500 as the amount of points we'd have to work with. Money is no object, because we live in an extremely rural area with no GW or any place within a 3 hour drive that hosts any events so we'll be just nerding it up on a table at home with bullshit fake pieces. I also have no talent interest or time to make models and paint. I guess I am looking for very generic builds to at least let me dip my toes into the water.

I am in love with the concept of orks barreling into front lines and blowing poo poo up. I don't care if I win, I just want to take out as many of their units as fast as possible. Is there a suicide bomber?

edit: just bought xenos 2 index, going to sit down with that this evening.

A late reply but I must talk about the orks! Outside my recent experiences of getting repeatedly spanked by Mortarion or Guilliman WAAC lists I've generally been doing very well with stormboyz in regular games. They are a great unit. I use 60+, at least two squads of thirty. I run them with 90 choppa boyz and 2-3 weirdboyz, warboss/es (sometimes Ghazghkull) and whatever ever else fits in the points for spice, usually kommandos or more boyz. The Strategy is pretty simple, Use Stormboyz for a turn 1 charge while buffing and then jumping a squad of 30 boyz in for a bit more carnage. Beware of those interceptor stratagems, Eldar can evaporate a da jumping mob easily. Sometimes it is better to send them into cover on an objective. If you pull off a good charge with the stormboyz you have a pretty decent chance of getting the rest of the boyz stuck in for a punch up relatively unmolested.

A bike-boss(or two) with a power claw is a good addition too, cheap enough and fast enough to deal with a variety of obnoxious vehicles in an efficient and rather metal manner.

Overall its a lot of fun charging a hoard of green hooligans across the board into a scrum. The only thing un-fun about a horde of boyz it is being matched up with certain obnoxious spam lists that remove them all before you can have a proppa fight. For that sort of thing keep your weirdboyz together, hide behind something and smite those fuckers when they come close.

Oh and always remember, You're going to loose at least 70% of you boyz in every game no matter what, but orks will still win in a street fight.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

panascope posted:

Why do you read this thread leave me alone nerd

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Dude they are just obsec and one model. It's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Does anyone know where the current rules for Marbo are? I expected to find them on Warhammer Community but all I can find is the one from 7E or the Armageddon Shadow War.

:sigh:

E: I'm like 99% sure this isn't a :filez: thing since I seem to remember it being released on Warhammer Community?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 23, 2018