Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Endorph posted:

galaxy brain: im ignoring that post because you gendered astolfo

Is Astolfo nonbinary? I haven't looked at apocrypha nor do I plan to, but any discussions on him I've seen have always used gendered pronouns, unlike with D'eon.

(And my question still stands regardless. I'm not sure there's a single teamcomp Astolfo is good in that Mary doesn't outperform him at by a ton. And if you need survivability marie is more reliable too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Transient People posted:

Is Astolfo nonbinary? I haven't looked at apocrypha nor do I plan to, but any discussions on him I've seen have always used gendered pronouns, unlike with D'eon.

(And my question still stands regardless. I'm not sure there's a single teamcomp Astolfo is good in that Mary doesn't outperform him at by a ton. And if you need survivability marie is more reliable too.)

No, he's male. He pretty much dressed up as a joke to cheer up his friend, and they went out to gently caress women forcefully.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its just a joke about how the game considers astolfo neither male nor female. that said the game and the extra material are all over the place in regards to how astolfo IDs, mostly as a function of having so many different writers and nobody really caring enough to lay things out plainly. the game itself considers astolfo nb in terms of mechanics, some of their dialogue leans one way, some leans the other, so on. its pretty much the same thing deon has going on, where one minute they're loudly saying they're a guy and then the next people are using female pronouns for them without them piping up.

enkidu's sort of in the same boat but nobody cares about them because they dont wear a tiny skirt i guess

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Transient People posted:

Astolfo is male, but some fans treat him as nonbinary and his behavior is androgynous enough. Fate/GO exaggerates it and counts him as neither male nor female for any game mechanics that target either.

Fate doesn't really approach that subject with the same sensitivity as the West generally does... Mordred refusing to be called female is haha funny because she's obviously a girl, not "oh wow I guess she identifies as male therefore I better not gently caress up my pronouns."

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Dee Ehm posted:

Astolfo is male, but some fans treat him as nonbinary and his behavior is androgynous enough. Fate/GO exaggerates it and counts him as neither male nor female for any game mechanics that target either.

Fate doesn't really approach that subject with the same sensitivity as the West generally does... Mordred refusing to be called female is haha funny because she's obviously a girl, not "oh wow I guess she identifies as male therefore I better not gently caress up my pronouns."

:thunk:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I don't know who or what Astolfo is but they're cute as hell so I'm gonna spend a lot of money.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The barbarians in the East know not of gender like the West does, and the West treats it with the utmost respect

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean on the one hand there are some weird lines about da vinci but on the other hand she's a drat sight better than

quote:

The real strength of this burly duelist comes not from her unrivaled brawn, but from her tender heart. She's just bursting with affection for all living things, and she never stops cherishing each and every creature within arms' reach.

quote:

Ladiva's gender attribute is neither male nor female in terms of gameplay mechanics.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Dee Ehm posted:

Mordred doesn't want to be called a girl because otherwise she felt she couldn't be a King, because she thinks she's the equal of her father. But she also gets pissed if you ignore her femininity and treat her like a man.
On the other hand she hated it if you praise Artoria, and hate it if you insult Artoria too.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

you: they're male because they have a dick
me, enlightened: there are many flavors of dick

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Dee Ehm posted:

Fate doesn't really approach that subject with the same sensitivity as the West generally does...

dude this is basically racism or at least it reads like every racist take I've seen recently

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the warring states period wouldnt have happened if they understood gender better

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

the warring states period wouldnt have happened if they understood gender better
actually, if you read my manga about kenshin being a crossdressing woman, you'll find out -

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
astolfo likes being cute and femme while being a somewhat coolish knight too. sometimes the way they're handled in fate differs depending on the writer handling them or the characters involved. sometimes they're an otokonoko. sometimes i call astolfo 'he' and I'm like "does this sound right to me? maybe not" but then is "they" perfect either? not quite. gender is confusing. Higashide says they don't know what gender astolfo is anymore. Meteo, who helped design Astolfo, liked this image on twitter in between hundreds of lewd images of mysterious heroine x alter a few months ago and I chuckled at it.

I think a lot of characters in type moon are meant to be explorative of gender and it's cool to share opinions and your perspectives on them and look at what other people are reading with an open mind.

also it's not cool or fun for anyone in the thread to entrench your position and say "actually history books say i'm right, also they raped a lot" as if that argument's going to serve anyone in a fate thread

Endorph posted:

i mean on the one hand there are some weird lines about da vinci but on the other hand she's a drat sight better than

please don't draphshame in this household!!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Astolphole

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

FGO at least has better rates than GBF :unsmith:

I want that game to get a FGO-like/proper mobile client so bad. The web-interface look is so average for such a highly grossing game.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

FGO at least has better rates than GBF :unsmith:

extremely untrue

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Until I get my fuckin Black knight and SSR Kat then the rates in GBF are booty

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aurora posted:

extremely untrue

Then I guess I've been lucky in FGO and unlucky in GBF - or I just didn't get the SSRs I wanted in GBF to get my dark team going.

Or both.

My water/light teams are pretty top notch though. My #1 complaint with GBF is the web-client and the game not having a full mobile interface.

Captain Baal posted:

Until I get my fuckin Black knight and SSR Kat then the rates in GBF are booty

Same but Zooey, Dark Jeanne and Narumeya.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Then I guess I've been lucky in FGO and unlucky in GBF - or I just didn't get the SSRs I wanted in GBF to get my dark team going.

gbf is 3% for ssrs and every month has a double rates SSR period. fgo has always been 1% for 5*s.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

FGO is superior to GBF simply because Fou is far cuter than that lizard, Vryn.

Also our Jeanne's are better.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

also it's incredibly lol to me that anyone in a fate thread would thing "duhhh who would expect anything good related to gender in this series" when saber has a fwiggin whole backstory devoted to how she had to surpress herself as a girl to be a king

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Dryzen posted:

dude this is basically racism or at least it reads like every racist take I've seen recently

If it sounded like I was saying something like that then that's absolutely not what I meant. I just don't think modern gender identity politics really fit onto these characters cleanly.

Edit: I like Fate and really don't want to get into any arguments on this subject because I don't even have a really strong opinion on the matter.

How about that Dante event coming up?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

"gender identity politics" jesus

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I don't know who or what Astolfo is but they're cute as hell so I'm gonna spend a lot of money.

This, except I do know who they are, and I don't have any money.

Endorph posted:

actually, if you read my manga about kenshin being a crossdressing woman, you'll find out -

I ain't mad at this:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Endorph posted:

Sengoku Rance ftw

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aurora posted:

gbf is 3% for ssrs and every month has a double rates SSR period. fgo has always been 1% for 5*s.

It's probably that I started GBF really late and the pool of SSRs is huge. But yeah you're right.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

FGO is superior to GBF simply because Fou is far cuter than that lizard, Vryn.

Also our Jeanne's are better.

Very true to both. Though Dark Jeanne in GBF is pretty neat and pretty strong too if I recall.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Dee Ehm posted:

I just don't think modern gender identity politics really fit onto these characters cleanly.

you mean all these characters that were created after the year loving 2000?

gently caress off with this weak poo poo

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

taser rates posted:

Rider Ishtar is okay but not amazing. Rider Kintoki gives 5* riders a run for their money though.

Nah, I'd say she's pretty great. Really good NP gain and crit rate, decent skills, with a fairly crucial first skill that gives the Buster/Quick/NP gain up for the whole party. Her NP, despite being quick AOE hits really, really hard. Her limitation is having low HP and kind of flimsy when hit which is why her other two skills depend on evasion and invulnerability.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
Ryougi Shiki

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

you mean all these characters that were created after the year loving 2000?

gently caress off with this weak poo poo

stair ive seen your discord posts you do not get to do this

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Endorph posted:

I don't have much interest in GBF, never going to probably, but I feel like if I did then getting Hypermax Ladiva as my accounts main offering of support would be a wonderful goal.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

What's with the daily <Class> Training Ground quests? I've been doing ember gathering for xp so I'm assuming the training grounds are for something else.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ashsaber posted:

I don't have much interest in GBF, never going to probably, but I feel like if I did then getting Hypermax Ladiva as my accounts main offering of support would be a wonderful goal.

There is a guy that eats ramen all the time and attacks you with giant chopsticks.

He has a swimsuit version to. The characters are really good.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

What's with the daily <Class> Training Ground quests? I've been doing ember gathering for xp so I'm assuming the training grounds are for something else.

Materials, like pieces, monuments, and gems for that class. Along with the materials from the enemies that show up like amazons and wyverns.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They are for monuments, pieces and other ascension/ability upgrades. Events give you so many mats that the only reason you'd run these are if your really need one or two more pieces/monuments to get a good unit to the next ascension

e- Well at half rate they become pretty good to farm if you are low on master levels and for skill gems.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

You get one class each day of the week. Today is Riders, so it runs through them. All the enemies are of that class. Servants enemies can drop pieces and monuments for ascension, while normal enemies can drop skill gems and ascension materials.

Higher AP cost ones are more difficult and are more likely to drop higher tier items and skill gems.

You'll mostly be using it for skill gems to level up Servants' skills or occasionally for ascension materials... Saber / Archer / Lancer dailies have a decent chance at Phoenix Feathers for example, while Snake Gems can be gotten during Caster dailies. If you need a Heart of a Foreign God, 40 AP Caster is the only place currently that has a (really bad) chance of dropping them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They are for monuments, pieces and other ascension/ability upgrades. Events give you so many mats that the only reason you'd run these are if your really need one or two more pieces/monuments to get a good unit to the next ascension

e- Well at half rate they become pretty good to farm if you are low on master levels and for skill gems.
Or you're in a situation like me and don't really need XP (since there's a lotto event coming up) or QP (since KnK gave out about 100 million extra from where I started) and you might as well spend your AP on something.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

if you dont have your second archive full of hands and a jeanne you are playing the game wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I really just want to move on with the story but I'd hate to hit a wall and be unable to progress because I didn't take my chance to score ascension mats and embers.