Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Thisuck posted:

MYR BATTLESPHERE

What the gently caress how did I forget about this. It's both a wincon and/or 5 bodies to defend with.

Is Booby Trap too spicy for lantern and Jace decks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Archenteron posted:

What the gently caress how did I forget about this. It's both a wincon and/or 5 bodies to defend with.

Is Booby Trap too spicy for lantern and Jace decks?

Booby Trap sounds awful against Lantern, and as a 6 drop it's probably too spicy for Modern in general.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Sundering Titan. Let's go!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Archenteron posted:

What the gently caress how did I forget about this.

I did the same thing recently. I'm running an incredibly fun Birthing Pod deck in Legacy, and the list I based it on had no 6-mana creatures, just 5, 7, and 8 (Griselbrand). I was always stuck with a Thragtusk sitting there like a chump, or I'd never find my Myr Enforcer, but I couldn't Pod up to it.

6CMC was easy, Wurmcoil Engine is kicking some rear end because it leaves behind dudes when he gets sacrificed. It took me longer than I care to admit to think of what a better 7 mana artifact creature might be to go alongside Enforcer.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Seems like it would be a lot better if those Garruk Relentless were Nissa, Voice of Zendikar instead. More early chumpers, a turn 2 play, more reliable t3/4 polymorph.

yeah my first thought when i saw the nissa in the list was that it was Voice of Zendikar since it makes sense. That deck is just kind of a silly gimmick. the actual cool deck is also in that event and is this RUG Twin thing with kiki-jikis and that 3/3 flash tap/untap a creature guy from magic origins. People tried those when that card came out so i;m interested to see if the addition of jace is enough to make that deck real

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
What's the most fun modern deck?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

j8910 posted:

Bant Spirits.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

j8910 posted:

Lantern

(No)

I've had a ton of fun with Cocowisp - basically an Abzan D&T sorta build. If you Google it it'll pull up the thread on mtgsalvation

Humans is also very fun

Walked fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 23, 2018

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

j8910 posted:

Solemnity

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

j8910 posted:

storm

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

j8910 posted:

Any KoTR deck

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Put Bloodbraid Elf and Knight of the Reliquary in the same deck.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Yoked posted:

I was thinking I might take advice given above and go all-in on miracles with the pile below, but I bet I can put together a BBE/KoTR deck that doesn't overlap in cards and sleeve that up, too.

edit: BBE into glittering wish sounds fun, if not particularly good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Yoked posted:

Someone already had this idea-
4 Bloodbraid Elf
2 Courser of Kruphix
1 Domri Rade
1 Dromoka's Command
3 Forest
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Horizon Canopy
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Lightning Helix
1 Mountain
4 Noble Hierarch
2 Plains
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Sacred Foundry
2 Scavenging Ooze
2 Stomping Ground
1 Tectonic Edge
2 Temple Garden
3 Tireless Tracker
1 Treetop Village
4 Voice of Resurgence
4 Wild Nacatl
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills
//sideboard
2 Ancient Grudge
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1 Ghost Quarter
2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
3 Grim Lavamancer
1 Lightning Helix
2 Path to Exile
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Thrun, the Last Troll

I don't know if it's particularly good but I'm close to having all of the pieces and I really want to try it out.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yoked posted:

this sounds like a zoo deck from 8+ years ago

j8910 posted:

Burn.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

oryx posted:

I've slowly built out some modern decks to play with family members. Right now I've got:

Grixis Death's Shadow
Eldrazi Tron
Gifts Storm (which I am not allowed to play anymore :-( )
Merfolk
Coco Combo
Death/Taxes

What would you guys build towards next?

Caveats:
- I've got most staples starting from Scars of Mirrodin, and can spend around 250 dollars.
- Currently leaning towards Reanimator (cheaper) or some variant of U/W Control (I don't have any collonades).
- Some people don't love side boarding.

I know you've already got a tron deck, and it's not the greatest, but U-Tron is a lot of fun.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Someone already had this idea-
4 Bloodbraid Elf
2 Courser of Kruphix
1 Domri Rade
1 Dromoka's Command
3 Forest
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Horizon Canopy
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Lightning Helix
1 Mountain
4 Noble Hierarch
2 Plains
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Sacred Foundry
2 Scavenging Ooze
2 Stomping Ground
1 Tectonic Edge
2 Temple Garden
3 Tireless Tracker
1 Treetop Village
4 Voice of Resurgence
4 Wild Nacatl
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills
//sideboard
2 Ancient Grudge
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1 Ghost Quarter
2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
3 Grim Lavamancer
1 Lightning Helix
2 Path to Exile
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Thrun, the Last Troll

I don't know if it's particularly good but I'm close to having all of the pieces and I really want to try it out.

I decided to build this after all except BoP in place of Hierarchs. It’s definitely fun so far but I haven’t played a league with it yet.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Someone already had this idea

I think the archetype has potential but that list has some weird choices. It needs to decide whether it's a beatdown deck or a GWx grindy creature deck; wild nacatl and courser of kruphix are pretty odd cards to put together. And zero path to exile main deck can't possibly be right.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

j8910 posted:

grixis death’s shadow, still

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

uninverted posted:

I think the archetype has potential but that list has some weird choices. It needs to decide whether it's a beatdown deck or a GWx grindy creature deck; wild nacatl and courser of kruphix are pretty odd cards to put together. And zero path to exile main deck can't possibly be right.

Yeah no mainboard Path is a little weird. I think it probably makes more sense to run those than the Lightning Helices but I really want to cast Lightning Helix in a non-Burn deck.

E: On the other hand, I'm sure Bolt and Helix are both way better things to cascade into than Path. Seems like the Ghost Quarter or Tec Edge should be a Gavony Township too.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 23, 2018

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

j8910 posted:

mill, no, swans

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

I know you've already got a tron deck, and it's not the greatest, but U-Tron is a lot of fun.
You could probably make a killer gifts tron with jtms

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Pontius Pilate posted:

grixis death’s shadow, still

This or blue living end.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

C-Euro posted:

It seems weird and probably wrong to me to run KoTR in a red deck and not find a spot for Kessig Wolf Run.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tim Raines IRL posted:

It seems weird and probably wrong to me to run KoTR in a red deck and not find a spot for Kessig Wolf Run.

Yeah I think I would cut the Tec Edge and Ghost Quarter for a Wolf Run and Gavony Township. Maybe put the Tec Edge in the SB just in case I needed the land destruction.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

j8910 posted:

Eldrazi Taxes or mono-white D&T

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

mill, no, swans

Swans + Bant Spirits

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Anyone see the GB deck from Modern Super League? Absolute gas

e: Playtesting an Abzan version of Devoted Druid Combo that's promising; it trades mana dorks for hand disruption & Commune With Nature (bit of a pet card, but it excels against disruption).

myDad fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 24, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

3-1 in a 12-person FNM with basically the miracles list from above, but taking out 1 each ancestral vision, field of ruin, counterbalance for mana leak, terminus, entreat (so 7 miracles total maindeck).

tl;dr jace is gas in this deck and I'd forgotten how oppressive a card it is to use as a wincon.

Round 1 was metalwork collossus and I pathed a lot of things and used guildpact jace to bounce an Akroma's memorial. A total of 5 angels over 2 entreats had to chump collossi. But mostly I just brainstormed a lot and eventually ulted jace with ~15 cards in library; we didn't finish game 2. Round 2 I lost to Eldrazi Tron, very quickly in very 1-sided games. I think that matchup is harder than other Tron builds, but should not be unwinnable. Round 3 I played against Abzan (lilly / goyf / souls / flayer / discard) and won a very long game 1 with jace ult, then won game 2 in turns with angels. Round 4 was BBE Jund, it was fun to see the elf face off against Jace but I won 2-0, again ulting jace in game 1 and then beating face with angels game 2.

Jace is, obviously and by miles, the best card in the deck. I should probably get a fourth (would still run 1 Guildpact). All the other interactions in the deck are stronger with Jace as the centerpiece. The games that I won straight off the -12, all involved some mix of terminus and entreat to stabilize.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Tim Raines IRL posted:

3-1 in a 12-person FNM with basically the miracles list from above

Owns. Did you get to Opt into any miracles? Was Counterbalance relevant?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

myDad posted:

Owns. Did you get to Opt into any miracles? Was Counterbalance relevant?

I couldn't find my counterbalance so I didn't run it. I don't expect it to be good, probably worse than just running another Azcanta, but I want to muck with it anyway.

I opted into an entreat on their end step in one game; everything else was on my turn. Being able to just keep leaving terminus on top with Jace over and over until it needed to pop is sweet, too.

Next week I might run some dumb mono-U jace tribal disrupting shoal list. Or just play this again; it's a pretty sweet deck, and it usually just ignores early game discard which is very relevant in my current meta. Lots of times people just had to choose between a bunch of cantrips, but even getting a snapcaster or jace thoughtseized away doesn't seem to matter very much, since most of the pile is interaction and cantrips.

My current split of 2/3 opt/ancestral vision seems dubious; on the other hand, it's nice against surgical extraction...

edit: actual list https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-02-18-miracles/

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 24, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Collected Company into two Knights will never not feel good

Same with randomly pumping them from 6 to 10 thanks to another Knight and a Ghost Quarter and making that big swing lethal out of nowhere

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Played against a U/W miracles deck yesterday. They Serum Visions'd up a Temporal Mastery into an Entreat the Angels for 2.

I untapped and Villainous Wealth'd them for 5 hitting J:tMS, Cryptic (draw/bounce a token), Path (other token), Entreat (stay in exile you piece of rubbish) and a land

JtMS is pretty good in modern guys :buddy:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Archenteron posted:

Played against a U/W miracles deck yesterday. They Serum Visions'd up a Temporal Mastery into an Entreat the Angels for 2.

I untapped and Villainous Wealth'd them for 5 hitting J:tMS, Cryptic (draw/bounce a token), Path (other token), Entreat (stay in exile you piece of rubbish) and a land

JtMS is pretty good in modern guys :buddy:

I think if you had 8 mana up and they passed turn without leaving up a counter, they are playing the deck wrong. I bet that felt good, though!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

The prices on Legends RL garbage have gone absolutely nuts. A couple years back I picked up PSA 8-9 rated Killer Bees, Gauntlet of Power, Lands Edge for a few bucks total, basically as a joke. All of those cards are now on Card Kingdom's buylist for 10-20$, and I see ungraded copies selling for 20-30 on eBay.

I think I have some other weird, bag Legends cards. I am going to sell all this poo poo and try to get a couple more Savannahs or something. Keeping the bees, though. I love that foglio art, also love putting it down on the table as a threat and then saying stuff to my opponent like "don't make me let out the bees. I WILL BREAK THIS GLASS IN CASE OF EMERGENCY."

I'm a riot, guys.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The Acid Rain I opened in my pack of Legends is like $60. The Nebuchadnezzar in my other one is $20. Nobody has ever cast either of those cards except for me when I used to play Nebuchadnezzar 20 years ago. This game is stupid.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

Collected Company into two Knights will never not feel good

Same with randomly pumping them from 6 to 10 thanks to another Knight and a Ghost Quarter and making that big swing lethal out of nowhere

Got to Tec Edge myself to pump a Knight to lethal a couple weeks ago, can confirm that it feels good.

As a KotR aficionado, what do you think about when determining when to use her land-tutoring ability and when to start swinging for the fences? Is there a certain amount of lands you like to have in the yard? Been playing GW Ramunap Company for a little while now and while I like the deck, I think I could be playing it better.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Got to Tec Edge myself to pump a Knight to lethal a couple weeks ago, can confirm that it feels good.

As a KotR aficionado, what do you think about when determining when to use her land-tutoring ability and when to start swinging for the fences? Is there a certain amount of lands you like to have in the yard?

When you can kill them in 3 swings is not a bad place to start, that’s generally after your second activation (should be able to put KoTR to 7 with a single fetch cracked).

It also depends on if you have other creatures out and swinging at the same time too.

Once they’re a 6/6 or 7/7 is generally when I feel pretty good about it.

E: and when you have two Knights out, sometimes it’s not a bad idea to leave them hanging back as 6/6 blockers for a turn if you can afford it, because the turn after they’re representing an entirely lethal swing on their own.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Has anyone tinkered with BBE in a Knightfall deck? Testing with Jace has been pretty reasonable so far but I know some people are trying that route too and it seems worth testing.

Typically the deck’s worst matchups are Tron and Control and I’m looking to improve those. Jace seems incredible vs. both Control and Lantern but just makes us durdle more vs. Tron. I’m looking at slapping 3 Geist in the board for those matchups but I’m not sure about it, does BBE change the nature of those matchups? Is it actually worth trying over Company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Tried some blue moon last night, the more controlling build without maindeck titi or peezy. Had a lot of fun and the deck seems like it has some super strong matchups and also some weak ones. Beat affinity twice, r/g eldrazi, and lost to elves game 3 after we both mulled to 5 and he had a turn 4 kill. Played a game against jund after, the pre-sideboard games against jund seem miserable.

Jace feels really good to cast but at no point did he feel "unfair", he just closed out games where I was already ahead or bought me time.