Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Germany directly set out to compete with Britain so it is hard to view them as anything approaching innocent. My general take on it all was that almost every power involved in the lead up to WWI was an rear end in a top hat, it is just that with the change of leadership that Wilhelm II represented, the political balance in Europe began to slowly shift from unstable to untenable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Panzeh posted:

ehhhhhhhh

ehhhhhhhhhhh

okay, so, their stance toward France was basically "cede us your border fortifications so we can fight Russia without you being able to help them"

it's hard not to see that as a rather blatant provocation

Their stance towards France was "Look, we already know you hate us and want Alsace-Lorraine back, so let's just get this war over with so we can beat you again and focus on fighting Russia."

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There is an overriding logical fallacy which just about everyone (Serbians excepted) who was making decisions subscribed to: "We are entirely constrained by our national interest to act in a certain way; you have no such constraints and may act with discretion; therefore the burden for resolving this crisis falls solely on you." It's terrifying how everyone across multiple nations all locked themselves into exactly the same box. The only thing that made war inevitable this time (and not, say, over Agadir, or the annexation of Bosnia) was that everyone independently decided that war was inevitable this time.

FAUXTON posted:

In WWI-related vidya-game-imitating-life comedy, Battlefield 1 has a Gallipoli map and it's basically impossible by design for the ANZAC landing forces to take V Beach.

Which is unsurprising, because they weren't anywhere near V Beach

:v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
What amuses me is they dug out some old proto landing craft that suspiciously resemble the ones used on D-Day.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Trin Tragula posted:

There is an overriding logical fallacy which just about everyone (Serbians excepted) who was making decisions subscribed to: "We are entirely constrained by our national interest to act in a certain way; you have no such constraints and may act with discretion; therefore the burden for resolving this crisis falls solely on you." It's terrifying how everyone across multiple nations all locked themselves into exactly the same box. The only thing that made war inevitable this time (and not, say, over Agadir, or the annexation of Bosnia) was that everyone independently decided that war was inevitable this time.

That is an alarmingly familiar point of view though. See Brexit.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Hitler's bday 20 April 1934. I hope these kids remembered eleven years later how delicious that cake was (if they weren't dead by then).

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Alchenar posted:

When they started calling it that it displaced the original 'great' war, which was the Napoleonic wars.
wir hatten auch in einem grossen Krieg geleidet, Herr

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

I think we can balance WWI being a pointless waste of human lives, and it being the product of what seemed at the time to be generally logical, even necessary decisions.
Each decision seems necessary, but each decision also ratchets your available future decisions down. you lead yourself into a dark funnel and don't even know it. many terrible things happen this way

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

You should check out the "bitching about students" thread over in SAE. Right now it's got a thread title about wiping student's asses. It's good for general educator war stories, but there's a lot of side-talk that goes on about effective teaching methodology.

For what it's worth, if this is your first time teaching a class all of your own (as opposed to TA'ing someone else's course) it gets better. You know how you cringe like hell when you find some old piece of undergrad writing and feel a little embarrassed that your past self turned that in to a professor? Yeah, editing course materials for something I taught a few years ago to update it or another go around . .. yeeesh.
at least there's some high school in vietnam who got at least one person to listen to a thing

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

Hitler's bday 20 April 1934. I hope these kids remembered eleven years later how delicious that cake was (if they weren't dead by then).
:pwn: i think my landlady has those plates

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Everyone's grandma has those plates.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I wonder what flavour Hitler's birthday cake would be

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Fangz posted:

Nuts-y

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fangz posted:

he's austrian and those people's pastry game is on point so it was probably delicious

edit: apparently he took his tea at American South levels of lethally sweet and loved strudel and eclairs with little swastikas on them

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

With a distinct hint of almond, I should think.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Fangz posted:

All I know is, it wouldn't be very juicy

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

To get that other one back, right?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

GreyjoyBastard posted:

he's austrian and those people's pastry game is on point so it was probably delicious

meanwhile the pudding game was... complicated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLa_m67no1M

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

GreyjoyBastard posted:

edit: apparently he took his tea at American South levels of lethally sweet and loved strudel and eclairs with little swastikas on them

While other Nazis continued living the high life (in Goering case...)

wait I guess Hitler *did* live the high live in the drug using sense :thunk:

Where was I? Right, Hitler had his own personal pastry chef, sweets were his "one weakness"

I mean, if you asked Hitler

I'm pretty sure he didn't do a press interview in 1936 and screamed "I LOVE AMPHETAMINES!!!!!!" in the middle of it

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

MikeCrotch posted:

I guess I shouldn't have said they wanted a war, but at the same time the Serbian government was seemingly completely unwilling to curb the Black Hand or any Serbian nationalist movements regardless of what they were up to in Austria-Hungary. I think Nicola Pasic said something along the lines of "The Serbian government cannot quell the passions of young Serbs" whenever anything happened.

To be fair to the Serbian government, the previous century was a long line of events that spelled out ‘Repressing your nationalists=Revolution’ over and over again.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 22nd Feb 1918 posted:

Working Parties as usual. The Baths at VIJGERHOEK were at the disposal of the Battalion and full advantage was taken thereof by the men who were not on Working Parties.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

VanSandman posted:

To be fair to the Serbian government, the previous century was a long line of events that spelled out ‘Repressing your nationalists=Revolution’ over and over again.

The 1914 Serbian government was quite eager to use nationalists. When I get to making that post I promised Trin (might even happen this year) I'll explain some stuff about it.

However, blaming Serbs for every bad thing to happen in the past millenium (Literally. like, there was stuff being blamed on a "Serbo-Byzantine conspiracy" against "Catholic civilization" allegedly created by Saint Sava, a dude from 12th century) was sort of Austria-Hungary's favorite propaganda bit after the May Coup, and even if there somehow was a Serbian government willing to suppress Serbian nationalists in Serbia, it wasn't going to change the fact that AH was itching to start some jolly genociding as soon as it found an adequate cause for war.

my dad fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 23, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bewbies posted:

It is time for my annual email to the mayor and city council of Brooksville, Florida. I encourage everyone here to send something to this wonderfully diverse and enlightened group of southern politicians regarding the namesake of their town.

emails etc available here:
http://www.ci.brooksville.fl.us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27&Itemid=30

FYI they have this piece of poo poo laying around:

I'm all for civic engagement but I'm sure all your emails are being deleted as soon as they catch one whiff of your filthy radical abolitionist talk.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

my dad posted:

The 1914 Serbian government was quite eager to use nationalists. When I get to making that post I promised Trin (might even happen this year) I'll explain some stuff about it.

However, blaming Serbs for every bad thing to happen in the past millenium (Literally. like, there was stuff being blamed on a "Serbo-Byzantine conspiracy" against "Catholic civilization" allegedly created by Saint Sava, a dude from 12th century) was sort of Austria-Hungary's favorite propaganda bit after the May Coup, and even if there somehow was a Serbian government willing to suppress Serbian nationalists in Serbia, it wasn't going to change the fact that AH was itching to start some jolly genociding as soon as it found an adequate cause for war.

Austro-Serbian relations weren't terrible before the May Coup and the assassination of King Alexander, though, were they? The Austrian government had sent subsidy money to King Milan, and Austria had threatened to join the Serbo-Bulgarian war on the side of Serbia if the Bulgarians didn't agree to the ceasefire. And I don't know if you can really blame the Austrians for feeling threatened by King Peter and Serbian expansionism.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

my dad posted:

When I get to making that post I promised Trin (might even happen this year) I'll explain some stuff about it.

I remember you saying you'd get into this but it just seems like it has the same problem for you as it does for anybody else trying to talk about it. There isn't a good loose thread to peck at to unravel the whole situation and it's just hundreds of pages of interlocked context. Was there ever a "simpler time" from which to even build a foundation? It even looks like the area was fragmented in Roman times.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
weekly reminder that fascism is an aesthetic movement as much as a political and economic one

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/feb/22/casapound-italy-mussolini-fascism-mainstream

that pound and heidegger were into this breaks my heart almost on a daily basis

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 23, 2018

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It even looks like the area was fragmented in Roman times.

I mean in fairness, what west of Egypt WASN'T fragmented in Roman times?

Hell, ITALY was fragmented in Roman times.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Epicurius posted:

Austro-Serbian relations weren't terrible before the May Coup and the assassination of King Alexander, though, were they? The Austrian government had sent subsidy money to King Milan, and Austria had threatened to join the Serbo-Bulgarian war on the side of Serbia if the Bulgarians didn't agree to the ceasefire. And I don't know if you can really blame the Austrians for feeling threatened by King Peter and Serbian expansionism.

Serbia spent a while as an Austrian puppet/ally/grudging accomplice, and a useful one at that, yes. Hell, Austria often stoked Serbian nationalism in hopes of it being mostly pointed against its rival Ottoman Empire, and also sometimes supported the Yugoslav idea because it was seen as easing the integration of (to be conquered in the future) South Slavs into the Empire. This, uh, backfired spectacularly.

As for feeling militarily threatened, Austria-Hungary had a population of over 50 million. Serbia had a population of less than 5 even after the Balkan wars (and ~3 before them). So, uh, what were they exactly afraid of? The issue with Serbia was that its very existence was a) blocking AH's expansion South b) creating a source of ideas, information, and political experience for certain downtrodden groups that was outside of reach of Austrian police and censors and gave funny ideas to parts of AH's population. It's not a coincidence that related stuff just happened to find its way into the infamous ultimatum.

This isn't an endorsement of the Serbian government of that time, though, lol, hooooooly poo poo, some of the things we did under them were abominably evil. We did have free-ish speech and press and free-ish elections tho.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I remember you saying you'd get into this but it just seems like it has the same problem for you as it does for anybody else trying to talk about it. There isn't a good loose thread to peck at to unravel the whole situation and it's just hundreds of pages of interlocked context. Was there ever a "simpler time" from which to even build a foundation? It even looks like the area was fragmented in Roman times.

History of anything is hundreds of pages of interlocking content. I'm just lazy.

e: Thanks Tomn

my dad fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 23, 2018

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

my dad posted:

As for feeling militarily threatened, Austria-Hungary had a population of over 50 million. Serbia had a population of less than 5 even after the Balkan wars (and ~3 before them). So, uh, what were they exactly afraid of? The issue with Serbia was that its very existence was a) blocking AH's expansion South b) creating a source of ideas, information, and political experience for certain downtrodden groups that was outside of reach of Austrian police and censors and gave funny ideas to parts of AH's population. It's not a coincidence that related stuff just happened to find its way into the infamous ultimatum.

Oh, no, Austria was never feeling particularly militarily threatened by Serbia. The problem was, like you pointed out in point b., a lot of the 50 million subjects of Austria-Hungary didn't want to be part of Austria-Hungary, and an unfriendly Serbia was a threat for that reason. In the southern Empire, Croatia especially was pretty restive, all the more so when Croatia was made part of the Hungarian half of the Empire (Hungary was seen as more hostile to national minorities than Austria), and with stuff like the Illyrian movement and Korosec and the May Declaration calling for a Yugoslav kingdom within the Empire, the existence of Serbia, and especially an anti-Austrian Pan-Serbian Serbia, which is what you got when Pasic came to power (and sorry about the lack of diacritics here, was a threat to Austrian stability.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Epicurius posted:

Oh, no, Austria was never feeling particularly militarily threatened by Serbia. The problem was, like you pointed out in point b., a lot of the 50 million subjects of Austria-Hungary didn't want to be part of Austria-Hungary, and an unfriendly Serbia was a threat for that reason. In the southern Empire, Croatia especially was pretty restive, all the more so when Croatia was made part of the Hungarian half of the Empire (Hungary was seen as more hostile to national minorities than Austria), and with stuff like the Illyrian movement and Korosec and the May Declaration calling for a Yugoslav kingdom within the Empire, the existence of Serbia, and especially an anti-Austrian Pan-Serbian Serbia, which is what you got when Pasic came to power (and sorry about the lack of diacritics here, was a threat to Austrian stability.

Russia constantly egging Serbia on did not help.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GUNS posted:

weekly reminder that fascism is an aesthetic movement as much as a political and economic one

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/feb/22/casapound-italy-mussolini-fascism-mainstream

that pound and heidegger were into this breaks my heart almost on a daily basis

Been reading more of "the cult of art" - got a good spell in yesterday in a waiting room. It may be the weirdest book that I've read in the past several years. This weirdness is because it's a very good, serious, scholarly work, examining the sometimes also quite scholarly rumbling of the Nazi regime. I don't have to tell you the crazy that lies in the Nazi ideology - but seeing it sometimes driven deep by academic discussion, only to have the crazy surface again like some terrible anti-semetic kraken - yeah, it's pretty weird.

TL;DR - I had no idea the head Nazis took all this so seriously - and this leads to unintentional comedy, because most of the top Nazis were trying to awaken Germany from its slumber to the truth of their racial superiority through questionable art - and you had guys like Hitler himself and Heinrich Himmiler selecting art for exhibition and trying to excise all that rotten Jewish-Marxist influences

Oh and the bit where the author describes the long history of people thinking babies were shaped by whatever they were looking at when they were loving, and a series of anecdotes about "yes our baby is as black as a moor - that's because of all the painting of moors I have in my bedchamber."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tomn posted:

I mean in fairness, what west of Egypt WASN'T fragmented in Roman times?

Hell, ITALY was fragmented in Roman times.

Italy is fragmented like right now

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

Been reading more of "the cult of art" - got a good spell in yesterday in a waiting room. It may be the weirdest book that I've read in the past several years. This weirdness is because it's a very good, serious, scholarly work, examining the sometimes also quite scholarly rumbling of the Nazi regime. I don't have to tell you the crazy that lies in the Nazi ideology - but seeing it sometimes driven deep by academic discussion, only to have the crazy surface again like some terrible anti-semetic kraken - yeah, it's pretty weird.

TL;DR - I had no idea the head Nazis took all this so seriously - and this leads to unintentional comedy, because most of the top Nazis were trying to awaken Germany from its slumber to the truth of their racial superiority through questionable art - and you had guys like Hitler himself and Heinrich Himmiler selecting art for exhibition and trying to excise all that rotten Jewish-Marxist influences
the punchline is the art was loving terrible

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

the punchline is the art was loving terrible

Meanwhile they basically did an exhibition of modern art that was intended to be 'look how degenerate and horrible all this modern art poo poo is' and queues for it were out the door.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degenerate_Art_Exhibition

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Epicurius posted:

Hungary was seen as more hostile to national minorities than Austria

Was actually. Hungarians were all bent out of shape about their rights as a minority when it was the Austrian empire, and when they got those rights and it became the Austro-Hungarian empire they were then all about making GBS threads on everyone else under their control. Nationalism is a hell of a drug.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

feedmegin posted:

Was actually. Hungarians were all bent out of shape about their rights as a minority when it was the Austrian empire, and when they got those rights and it became the Austro-Hungarian empire they were then all about making GBS threads on everyone else under their control. Nationalism is a hell of a drug.

The current Revolutions podcast series on 1848 has a bunch of stuff about how the pro-Magyar factions in Hungary came to ascendance and gained power for Hungary within the Austrian Empire, at the expense of minorities within Hungary (and later, elsewhere).

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

my dad posted:

As for feeling militarily threatened, Austria-Hungary had a population of over 50 million. Serbia had a population of less than 5 even after the Balkan wars (and ~3 before them). So, uh, what were they exactly afraid of?

Getting repeatedly pantsed and humiliated at the Drina by extremely motivated men with local knowledge, plenty of modern French-made armaments, and a field marshal who didn't have his head up his arse?

(Oh no, wait a minute, that's what they should have been afraid of :v: )

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah every major power in WWI was acting totally rationally using the information they had at the time. What it led to is unfortunate but if you were put in the same situation with the same information you'd almost certainly make the same decisions.

I have to disagree. The war started because of Greed. Everyone wanted more land, more population, more resources and invading someone else would get it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Trin Tragula posted:

Getting repeatedly pantsed and humiliated at the Drina by extremely motivated men with local knowledge, plenty of modern French-made armaments, and a field marshal who didn't have his head up his arse?

(Oh no, wait a minute, that's what they should have been afraid of :v: )

Putnik was in Budapest when the war started and they gave him safe passage back to Serbia, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Tag yourself, I'm the fifth stoned Rasputin from the right: